PDA

View Full Version : Recontracting

Cbill1
December 3rd, 2014, 21:11
It's the beginning of December, so I thought it would be a good time to ask; how common is it to not be given an offer to recontract?

I haven't heard a peep from anybody at my school yet, and I'm not sure if it's that the paperwork got lost or if I'm failing that spectacularly. It's almost December, and as far as I know, people were offered their forms as early as August.

Ini
December 3rd, 2014, 21:16
budgets for next year are still being drafted, wait until feb before you start panicking.

word
December 3rd, 2014, 21:19
It depends.

Sometimes you'll hear a mention earlier (usually in November) but they often won't ask you until February (when the actual paperwork is due). My old school always used to wait until the last day possible. I think that, as of this year, they may have pushed the deadline up a bit, so you'll probably hear something by January, I'm guessing.

Cbill1
December 3rd, 2014, 21:22
Okay, that's a relief.

Is being given the offer really that common? Almost everyone talks about it as if it's a definite, so I wasn't sure.

Ini
December 3rd, 2014, 21:25
if your CO is sticking with the JET programme and you havent done anything spectacularly awful you should get recontracted.

Gizmotech
December 3rd, 2014, 22:32
budgets for next year are still being drafted, wait until feb before you start panicking.

Ahh but this year the "I'm recontracting please" forms are due jan 15. You should receive one soon, and feel free to ask your boe for it after the start of the new year.

Like ini said, it's a special type of fail to not get your first three years fucked up, but after that who knows.

Cbill1
December 3rd, 2014, 22:49
I'm at work on time every day, stay late pretty often, and haven't been seriously unprepared for a class yet.

As far as serious fuck-ups go, I'd like to believe that I'm safe.

mothy
December 3rd, 2014, 23:00
You're safe, but if you're so worried just ask your supervisor, they can usually get the scoop. When my prefecture was cutting alts like a teenage goth girl cuts her thigh I was always able to get the latest update from her.

webstaa
December 4th, 2014, 08:24
So far the only paperwork that's been sent out is the "Guidelines for Re-contracting" - which a lot a people got in early November. In my prefecture, we were warned that it should come around 6th or 7th of January at the latest. Which is par for the course.

par92186
December 4th, 2014, 08:47
I recently had a short 15 minute chat with my VP about my life in Japan so far and my plans for after the first year (which I think is a great indication that i didn't manage to blow it too badly). I will eventually have an "open class" evaluation some time in the next few weeks, however, My VP and P did come "observe" a 3rd year class of mine (i teach HS) about a month ago already. The paperwork to recontract is due in January, but I made it pretty clear that as long as the school deems me qualified for a 2nd year, i'd love to be back on board this crazy train.

webstaa
December 5th, 2014, 11:45
As far as actually reviews go, a lot of BoEs/Schools will have you write out a form with your goals for the next year, often including Japanese language ability, interactions with the kids, classroom activities, overall English integration etc. In my experience, (and my predecessor, since I have my pred's copies - they were left for me) they really are a formality only. The decision to allow re-contracting is up the BoE itself, and they come to see classes at most twice a year anyways.

Satori Shinobi
December 17th, 2014, 17:05
Seeing as I'll be getting in on the 21st of January as an upgraded alternate, when do you suppose they might bring up the possibility of re-contracting?

uthinkimlost?
December 17th, 2014, 17:36
Likely in June or July with an August contract start.

greyjoy
December 17th, 2014, 18:15
Likely in June or July with an August contract start.

You think so? I'd imagine in February, if not immediately upon arrival.

Gizmotech
December 17th, 2014, 18:41
I'm pretty sure you're assumed to be recontracting if you show up that late. Especially as recontracting paperwork is due on the 15th

uthinkimlost?
December 17th, 2014, 18:48
You think so? I'd imagine in February, if not immediately upon arrival.

Its just a guess, tbh. Doesn't even seem feasible to ask someone fresh from the plane. May/June would still allow for an alternate to be snagged.

Of course, would someone that didn't recontract still get a flight home? Do we need a full year to get it?

Miami!

uthinkimlost?
December 17th, 2014, 19:41
July

just realized I did that. Oops.

webstaa
December 18th, 2014, 08:25
Its just a guess, tbh. Doesn't even seem feasible to ask someone fresh from the plane. May/June would still allow for an alternate to be snagged.

Of course, would someone that didn't recontract still get a flight home? Do we need a full year to get it?

Miami!

May/June is after the April arrivals, so it it probably would fall under to the new round of JETs...

uthinkimlost?
December 18th, 2014, 08:30
May/June is after the April arrivals, so it it probably would fall under to the new round of JETs...

Yes?

Time constraints would still mean the next alt would probably be an upgraded alternate from the new round.

webstaa
December 18th, 2014, 10:37
Yes?

Time constraints would still mean the next alt would probably be an upgraded alternate from the new round.

Totally missed that you implied the new round... of course it'd be an alternate from the early departure folks... Sorry.

itsabird
December 18th, 2014, 10:57
I received the recontracting packet a while ago as well. Haven't heard anything of it nor have I asked or been asked. I know I'm not going to recontract, and I'm just wondering if I should tell my BOE that in advance. I'm not sure if they have the expectation of me recontracting or not, but I would like to let them know to clear the air just in case they think I am recontracting.

That bit about the flight back being paid for late arrivals is also something I'm curious about.

Zolrak 22
December 18th, 2014, 11:20
I know I'm not going to recontract

Are you staying in Japan?

Or is this your way of saying goodbye? [emoji29]

sharpinthefang
December 18th, 2014, 11:55
I received the recontracting packet a while ago as well. Haven't heard anything of it nor have I asked or been asked. I know I'm not going to recontract, and I'm just wondering if I should tell my BOE that in advance. I'm not sure if they have the expectation of me recontracting or not, but I would like to let them know to clear the air just in case they think I am recontracting.

That bit about the flight back being paid for late arrivals is also something I'm curious about.
Leaving so soon? I was going to come down and annoy you.

webstaa
December 19th, 2014, 08:24
I received the recontracting packet a while ago as well. Haven't heard anything of it nor have I asked or been asked. I know I'm not going to recontract, and I'm just wondering if I should tell my BOE that in advance. I'm not sure if they have the expectation of me re-contracting or not, but I would like to let them know to clear the air just in case they think I am recontracting.

Number 1 thing to do is to talk to your supervisor at the BoE either way. Let them know if you want to stay/go. As long as you don't break contract, your flight back whence you came should be paid for (as a JET.) At least in my town, they only give me the re-contracting paperwork after I've completed the 'self-evaluation' form. Then they call me to the BoE, give me the paperwork, ask me if I want to stay (verbally) and let me take the paperwork and go. In and out in 10 minutes or less, (unless the BoE chairman wants to talk at me - he seems to enjoy 'shooting the shit.')