PDA

View Full Version : Dropping my minor?

Applicant2014
December 4th, 2014, 04:45
Hello! I am currently a senior in college, and I'm majoring in Linguistics with a minor in Japanese. I am also in my school's honors college, which requires a thesis. I am finding it hard to complete both the credit load necessary to finish my thesis, and my minor, so I was thinking of dropping the minor, which would give me much more time to work on research. I have fulfilled all of the language requirements, and the only thing I would need would be two (time consuming) literature courses taught in English.

However, when I was applying for JET, I listed Japanese as my minor. I was wondering if any of you know what the JET program would do if I graduated without it? Would they consider that lying on my application? Do any of you have similar experiences?

Thank you for your time!

miamicoordinator
December 4th, 2014, 07:48
Hello! I am currently a senior in college, and I'm majoring in Linguistics with a minor in Japanese. I am also in my school's honors college, which requires a thesis. I am finding it hard to complete both the credit load necessary to finish my thesis, and my minor, so I was thinking of dropping the minor, which would give me much more time to work on research. I have fulfilled all of the language requirements, and the only thing I would need would be two (time consuming) literature courses taught in English.

However, when I was applying for JET, I listed Japanese as my minor. I was wondering if any of you know what the JET program would do if I graduated without it? Would they consider that lying on my application? Do any of you have similar experiences?

Thank you for your time!

All you need is a bachelors degree to be eligible for the JET Program. Minors are not a huge factor when it comes to the selection process. Whether you officially complete your minor or not, you will still have taken the japanese classes you listed on your application.

If you are granted an interview, the panel will usually ask you if any thing has changed with your application, and you can discuss what happened then.

Dropping your minor is no big deal as long as you disclose it to the program so they have the most up to date information.

Best of luck,

MC

genkispirit
December 5th, 2014, 12:52

Thank you for your time!

Hey,

You have to think post-JET or you have to think beyond just JET. If you drop your minor and you want to attend grad school for linguistics it will be very difficult for you to apply to grad school having dropped your language minor.