PDA

View Full Version : Working a second job alongside ALT work

pinkprincess89
December 4th, 2014, 23:37
Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone has had a second job in Japan as well as their ALT work. I'm currently a piano teacher and I'd like to keep it going even if it's just a few students. I just wanted to know if anyone has done it before and/or if it's too much work with teaching English and lesson planning etc.

Ini
December 4th, 2014, 23:43
No ALT in the history of the world has had "too much work with teaching English and lesson planning etc."

If you work for a shady company you should be able to get a second job without any issues - in fact its probably required in order to have a decent quality of life.

If you are on JET you probably wont be allowed to work a 2nd job but that doesn't stop people doing it.

pinkprincess89
December 4th, 2014, 23:55
Ha fair enough, well I've been offered a job with Interac and they seem to not really care if you do, as long as it doesn't affect your work. So I might just give it a go! The next challenge is finding out how the 'self-employed' situation works in Japan or if I can just do it on the sly!

uthinkimlost?
December 5th, 2014, 00:01
Market might be crowded. My inakaville has a ton of piano teachers already.

pinkprincess89
December 5th, 2014, 00:34
Market might be crowded. My inakaville has a ton of piano teachers already.

You're probably right! Well the western style of piano is very popular, so I just have to hope that people want to learn it!

Jiggit
December 5th, 2014, 08:24
Well the western style of piano is very popular

What is the Japanese style of piano?

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
December 5th, 2014, 09:36
Ba-dum-tish

uthinkimlost?
December 5th, 2014, 09:38
No one is impressed by a self-performed rimshot.

Now, a rimjob, on the other hand...

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
December 5th, 2014, 09:39
Now, a rimjob, on the other hand...

That would be impressive.

webstaa
December 5th, 2014, 11:58
On JET, it's up to your BoE/Contracting organization. Some JET ALTs work at/have their own eikaiwa on the side (often on the sly), but there are a few that seem to have sanctioned 'second' jobs. Although I doubt they'd want you working 'baito night shift down at the conbini...

sharpinthefang
December 5th, 2014, 12:05
I meet up with a few of my teachers for english pratice which i get paid for. I think the rule with Interac is not to advertise in your own school or take your own students on. But if a few ALT's share their info they can get round it that way.

pinkprincess89
December 5th, 2014, 23:49
What is the Japanese style of piano?

In Japan they often learn pieces with an emphasis on technique (Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin), and not so much on Impressionist music like Debussy for example (which is studied in great depth in the west).
(I realise that what I've just said is a massive generalisation but you get the idea)

On JET, it's up to your BoE/Contracting organization. Some JET ALTs work at/have their own eikaiwa on the side (often on the sly), but there are a few that seem to have sanctioned 'second' jobs. Although I doubt they'd want you working 'baito night shift down at the conbini...

I meet up with a few of my teachers for english pratice which i get paid for. I think the rule with Interac is not to advertise in your own school or take your own students on. But if a few ALT's share their info they can get round it that way.

Thanks guys that's really helpful! I'll probably get there and have no chance finding work considering the amount of piano teachers there are in Japan, but I'd like to at least try!

therealwindycity
December 10th, 2014, 23:47
I applied for a piano teaching job recently, but got turned down when the woman asked for my name and realized I was a foreigner (we had already scheduled a time and date and an audition piece, and the last bit of information she asked for was my name. Then she called the next day with some bs excuse about "oh actually we've decided we don't want a male teacher" and canceled it)

pinkprincess89
December 11th, 2014, 01:55
I applied for a piano teaching job recently, but got turned down when the woman asked for my name and realized I was a foreigner (we had already scheduled a time and date and an audition piece, and the last bit of information she asked for was my name. Then she called the next day with some bs excuse about "oh actually we've decided we don't want a male teacher" and canceled it)

Oh right, was it a private student? or a piano teacher recruitment agency? looks like it'll be pretty difficult if not impossible then to find piano teaching work! let me know if you find some!

therealwindycity
December 11th, 2014, 13:26
It was at a studio. You might be able to find private students directly, but your Japanese will have to be really excellent (it's hard enough to teach kids music even when you share a native language, and you'll be competing with Japanese people) and it will take a while to build up a few students. You might be able to find a few adults who are willing to try, but hobbies in Japan always get sacrificed to work so their lessons will probably be very irregular.

It's a nice idea, but I wouldn't count on it unless you happen to be in an area with a big expat population who want their kids to take lessons in English.

sharpinthefang
December 11th, 2014, 13:45
And if you have applied to JET, you are more than likely to be in the inaka.

Coolmanio
February 9th, 2015, 11:16
I know this thread is pretty old now, but i thought I would weigh in.

I live in Osaka-fu and I am on the JET Programme. My contract says that if my BoE catches me working something else besides my JET job, I will get fired. But that doesn't stop a lot of people haha. I have literally been walking back to my house and have been stopped by someone asking me if I want to take a job at a night-time eikawa.

Basically, JET usually doesn't allow it, but people do it. Just cover your bases and DEAR lord remember to declare that income when you are doing your taxes.

Ini
February 9th, 2015, 11:22
from the site rules

Any other content that is illegal, promotes illegal activity or infringes on the legal rights of others

Should we be encouraging people to commit tax evasion?

pinkprincess89
February 10th, 2015, 03:01
Oh I'd have to declare it, I'll have to do some research into taxes/visas though!

johnny
February 13th, 2015, 22:39
I teach a two-hour class every week with the blessing of my BOE. I think it's only against the rules if your CO cares.