PDA

View Full Version : Actual Placements

May 4th, 2005, 19:56
When should we expect to hear about our actual placements rather than our dream ones? Will it be early May, late May? What happened in previous years?

Also, I notice on BD that current JETs are starting to hear about who their successors will be. Any ITIL regulars heard anything yet?

Getting pretty excited with anticipation here! :D

yabighoor
May 6th, 2005, 10:58
i was told by a friend of a friend of a friend that the date that the JETs here know who their successor is about the end of May. It really depends on your school though as last year i didn`t find out specifically where i was going till the middle of july.

Happy waiting though

nicklad
May 6th, 2005, 20:19
Depends on the prefecture as well.

Some are organised some are not so organised.

tash_bert
May 6th, 2005, 22:46
Definitely depends on the prefecture and the school/pred.

I found out which prefecture I was going to be in at the end of June, but didn't know exactly where I would be until about a week and a half before I left for Japan! I was the only one in my language group at pre-departure that didn't know specific details.

Basically my pred decided to go off on a jolly to China and didn't bother contacting me for quite a while. I had to chase the PA to chase her so that I could get some info!

Shotokai
May 11th, 2005, 11:05
we were emailed today by our PA. I've copied and pasted it for you here

Dear all,

There have been several emails already about their
successors. This is what's happening now:

New JETs are in the process of being informed of their
postings. Contracting Organisations have been
instructed to send out formal notification after May
25th.

Therefore, if you are to contact your successor,
please do so after consulting with your CO. You MUST
NOT CONTACT your successor until after May 25th!!!

I understand that you may want to contact your
successor because of the wait of not knowing (I recall
it myself). However, there are strict procedures and
we must follow them.

Thanks for your understanding.

May 11th, 2005, 16:16
Awww, what?! How frustrating. I've been seeing various murmurs on BD and was hoping people would start posting info here soon.

Shotokai - what's your "PA"? Is it Prefectural Area or something like that, or is it a national body? If so, does the vow of silence apply to all prefectures? I applied to Oita, so I suppose I'll definitely have to wait until May 25th in any case. :(

tash_bert
May 11th, 2005, 16:50
PA = Prefectural Advisor.

Each prefecture has a couple. They're usually CIRs and they help with all the random queries JETs have. Some are really good, others are apparently lacking.

Shotokai
May 12th, 2005, 08:23
yet ours Tash, is great. she's very efficient and is a way to get in touch quickly to the head honchos in the kencho. Also thanks to here I got to have dinner with Oita Rotary club members in a 5star restaurant...yes those of you who are becoming CIR's the job is very unique.

Bobo, was Oita your first choice?

Ock
May 12th, 2005, 08:38
retired

Shotokai
May 12th, 2005, 08:51
I'm not saying I wouldn't, (I wouldn't cause I'm not leaving) just passing on the info so that those who applied to Oita, like Bobo, actually have some details about how the Kencho is dealing with it all.

this is just the Kencho mind, of which there are only 20 new jets coming, the rest of the municipal ALT's in Oita, well it's up to their CO's to tell them. that could be anytime. I can give some info to Oita applicants, about those leaving the Kencho placements, and also some info about their situations.

Also as the webmaster of www.oitajets.com I can put you in touch with pred's as and when you find out...

tash_bert
May 12th, 2005, 12:48
Shoto, I love the way you manage to advertise the website so much - always makes me chuckle when I see the link in one of your posts.

Btw, I know our PA is great... that's why I said others apparently are lacking.

Oh, are you coming up for the music festival this weekend?? Should be cool, means you get to camp on a mountain if you come!

Shotokai
May 12th, 2005, 14:17
wish i was, but parents are here and we're heading to kyoto, Am going to the festival in Hita next weekend though!

May 12th, 2005, 16:12
Yes, Shotokai, Oita was my first choice. In fact, one of the reasons that I chose Oita was because the oitajets.com website was so good! I thought that if they had such a professional website, then they must be quite organised, which could only be a good thing. Some of the other JET websites are 5 years old and full of 404's.

What is the Kencho? And what's the difference between Kencho and municipal ALTs?

tash_bert
May 12th, 2005, 16:26
wish i was, but parents are here and we're heading to kyoto, Am going to the festival in Hita next weekend though!

Cool enjoy Kyoto!
Which festival in Hita? Was looking for something to do on payday weekend other than the usual Oita/Beppu/Kokura beer-fest. Still needs to be cheap though as I'm saving for a massive one in Osaka before Kobe! Oh, and my credit card is still feeling it from the battering in Seoul...

Shotokai
May 13th, 2005, 08:26
Well Bobo, I'm pleased you liked the website, I and our team have worked hard to pull it out of months of neglect by the former owners.

I can say with some certainty that the chance of you getting your placement request in Oita is quite high.
I can't say for sure so don't quote me on it.
the reason I say this is beacause Oita isn't often a first choice, cause not many know where it is etc...hell it wasn't one of my top three, but I got here and I love it here. so to have it as your first choice, well i think this will be one of the occasions where CLAIR will try their best to get you here. however we/you won't know until the 25th, as I said above, that's the way it's being played in Oita Ken.

The Kencho is what we call the prefectural government, like a county council in the UK. they employ about 30 ALT's and some more CIR's. the municipal governments are like town councils and they also employ ALT's. The Kencho ALT's get together for meetings etc and the municipal answer to their individual CO's (contracting organisations) Tash-bert, Squid and I are Kencho, Solace Girl is municipal.

Also Kencho ALT's often, though not always, get Teacher accomadation, Like I have. it's usually subsidised and sometimes has other ALT's living close by, in my case 4 others.

if you have any Q's about Oita pm me so we can keep this thread relatively on topic (sorry to everyone else)

but I think you'll be happy when you find out and it's only 12 days till the Oita info starts to be sent out so the wait is almost over.

Beq
May 13th, 2005, 16:53
Well Bobo, I'm pleased you liked the website, I and our team have worked hard to pull it out of months of neglect by the former owners.

Don't believe him about this imaginary 'team'. The amazing quality and versitility of the website is almost entirely his doing. Let us all worship at his feet. Let's not mention my v...e...r...y slow part in updating the photos. I take credit for the miniscule fraction of the website that is the photos link. And I apologise profusely, I promise I'll have it all fixed up soon!

Cynthia
May 16th, 2005, 10:28
I've never posted on here before, so hello everybody!

I was reading through the thread and I am excited to see all of the Oita people on here. I actually requested placement in Hiji (but Beppu, Kitsuki, and Oita would all be fine by me!). I've visited there before and I have some very good friends in the area, so that's why my request was so specific.

It's getting so hard to wait (it seems like everything in my life is on hold until May 25...).

squid
May 16th, 2005, 12:46
Okay, so I checked my old e-mails to see when I found out my exact placement last year, and it was June 23rd, sorry to say. I knew for about a month beforehand that I was placed in Oita (woo-hoo! It was one of my three choices, actually.), but I didn't know where. I'm pretty sure most of the kencho ALTs in Oita (and of course Each Ken Is Different) were in the same boat as me. Many municipal ALTs found out much sooner than we kencho ones did. So if you don't here anything for awhile yet, don't despair...too much!
Oh, and if you're a lucky new JET, you may get to be my successor and live in the oh so glamorous Oita City!!!!
PS Cynthia, I'm not sure if anyone's leaving Hiji this year. It's a cute town, though, and I'm glad you like it! And it's got Harmony (Hello Kitty) Land!

Shotokai
May 16th, 2005, 19:33
Cynthia. there are two ALT's in Hiji, and one they are both recontracting, so I can say with some certainty you won't be there, in that area of Oita, Beppu or Oita City are much more likely and just around the bay from Hiji so not too far.

Edited to add:
just looked through my folder of application gumpf from this time last year, found the letter that I got about my placement the date mark was May 2004
I'm sorry it wasn't more specific and that was the most detailed info available at the time
my supervisor wrote to me in july with much more info.

Cynthia
May 17th, 2005, 08:29
I actually met Joe-san (Hiji High's ALT) when I was there in September and I did not realize he recontracted. lol. So much for that request. It's okay though, I figure as long as I'm within the prefecture it won't be too hard to meet up with my friends.

I haven't been to Harmonyland since I was 10. My dad actually worked there when the park first open, so that was why I visited Japan in the first place. I have Hello Kitty "mania" so I'm sure I'll be going back there at some point if I get placed close enough. :D

Chi
May 18th, 2005, 01:14
What is Harmony Land? It sounds like fun.

Shotokai
May 18th, 2005, 06:14
it's basically, hello kitty land.

Songs
May 18th, 2005, 06:47
It looks like some people on (whispers...) BD, got their placements, today.

Shotokai
May 18th, 2005, 08:15
cue mass hysteria

iricat
May 18th, 2005, 09:34
Everyone in Ottawa got ours today :)

Chi
May 18th, 2005, 23:42
I just recieved an email saying that I was placed in Shizuoka-ken!!! I'm so excited. I don't know anything about Shizuoka-ken except that it's where Mt. Fuji is. Hell yeah!

Ini
May 18th, 2005, 23:45
good news its where mount fuji is and.......er theres a hardoff there and a 7/11........er fuji q highlands is ok and........er a 7/11 and...only 2 hours from tokyo and........er a 7/11.........Well done have fun

Doomer
May 19th, 2005, 02:17
good news its where mount fuji is and.......er theres a hardoff there and a 7/11........er fuji q highlands is ok and........er a 7/11 and...only 2 hours from tokyo and........er a 7/11.........Well done have fun
my god it almost seems as if he is being nice or something... :P

Ini
May 19th, 2005, 10:40
well if they're being sent to Shizuoka I cant bring myself to be nasty, talk about kicking someone when they're down

nicklad
May 20th, 2005, 09:14
It could be worse.

Could be in Shizuoka and have you living nextdoor.

Like anywhere it depends on where in the prefecture you are placed.

D-money
May 20th, 2005, 15:51
hey everyone, just found this sight the other day. the title seems entirely appropriate to how i feel about going to Japan for a year. I found out awhile ago that i got in, YAY. I just received an email today that was supposed to tell me where i am going, however the email failed to actually provide that information, anyway i plan to solve that little problem tomorrow...hopefully. I was wondering who else might be leaving from LA?

May 20th, 2005, 23:21
Woo hoo! Found out my placement today! I'm coming to Hita-city in Oita!! :D The Oita area was my first choice! Cool!

I've just found it on a map. It looks like it's towards the west end of the prefecture, near the border with Fukuoka. The city website has interesting things to see like bamboo fishtraps.... hmm. :? Anyone who knows anything about Hita, please tell!!

Shotokai - any way you can find out who my predecessor is?

I'm off to do more googling!

PS For those still waiting - my package arrived this morning at my home address, not my temporary address at uni.

Cynthia
May 21st, 2005, 04:55
Woo hoo! Found out my placement today! I'm coming to Hita-city in Oita!! :D The Oita area was my first choice! Cool!

Grats, Bobo! I still haven't heard even a whisper. I'm hoping this means that Shotokai is right, because if I don't hear anything until the 25th then I should be pretty close to Oita-shi. :) Here's to hoping!

May 21st, 2005, 05:59
Hey Cynthia! Hope you get placed in Oita! It's so nice to be able to actually say where I'm going now. Up to this point I've only been able to tell my friends and family "Japan" which is fairly unsatisfactory, seeing as they all presume it must be Tokyo or some other metropolis.

Apparantely Hita's only got 60,000 people and might be made up of a number of smaller towns, so it might be quite small. But I don't care! I'm just bloody glad to be going! And I'm determined to make the most of it. :D

When were you in Oita before? Was it some kind of study trip thing?

Shotokai
May 21st, 2005, 08:36
hey guys.
I'm noticing a trend with information I've gleaned from incoming Oita ALT's here and over at BD. if you are told your city then I think you are a municipal ALT and if you're just told your Ken then you're a Kencho ALT.
E.g Bobo, knows Oita AND Hita, whereas over on BD one of them just knows Oita and that it's a SHS.

where was I, anyway I'm off to Hita today for the River Festival, meant to be a good un. so I'll report back later.
Cynthia, if you're in Oita the letters have been coming in trickles for a the past few days.
Kencho letters usually get sent together but the local BOE's send them whenever which is why some people won't know for ages and some people know right away, lets hope you're one of the latter.

Cynthia
May 21st, 2005, 08:51
Bobo, I have been to Oita on three occasions for vacations. My dad worked at Harmony Land (ie: Hello Kitty World) when I was 9, and so my first trip was to visit him then. The second time I went was 10 years later, and my third time was in September 2004. During all of these visits we've stayed with friends in Hiji-machi (near Oita-shi) who have become my "Japanese Family." The family has spread out a bit, and now my "Japanese sister" actually lives in Oita-shi with her husband. Everytime I've gone and loved it, so I decided to do JET so I could stay in Japan for an extended period. :)

Shotokai, thanks for keeping the hope alive! lol Only 5 days left until the 25th...

Songs
May 25th, 2005, 04:09
Koga-shi, Fukuoka-ken!!! Does this mean I am a JHS municipal ALT?

BCGirl
May 29th, 2005, 08:23
Hi Everyone!
I just heard from the Vancouver consulate yesterday that I am going to a tiny town of 3200 people on Kyushu! 8) My actual placement is called Tashiro-Cho in Kagoshima prefecture. Anyone know anything about Kagoshima prefecture or this tiny town. I haven't been able to find out anything on the internet about Tashiro. I'm pretty excited but also nervous about the whole isolation thing. Anyone out there going to Kagoshima?

Mac_North
May 29th, 2005, 10:43
Anyone know anything about Kagoshima prefecture or this tiny town. I haven't been able to find out anything on the internet about Tashiro. I'm pretty excited but also nervous about the whole isolation thing. Anyone out there going to Kagoshima?
Kagoshima the city is the best one out of all of Kyushu. It's centralized, young, active; it has good PT, a volcano (with onsen), and a national (park an hour's drive away - Kirishima).