PDA

View Full Version : Borderlink?

King Creamsoda
December 18th, 2014, 14:15
Hi,

I see lots of threads about JET and Interac but is there anyone applying to/currently working for borderlink here?

sharpinthefang
December 18th, 2014, 15:03
You managed to post then.

King Creamsoda
December 18th, 2014, 15:52
Yes! I posted this a few hours ago but it magically just arrived!

webstaa
December 19th, 2014, 08:30
Well, it pays a bit less than Interac apparently...

uthinkimlost?
December 19th, 2014, 08:36
Yes! I posted this a few hours ago but it magically just arrived!

Welcome!

I think new posters have to have their posts approved by mods before they show up. Prevents spam, I believe.

Never personally met a Borderlink employee, but the secondhand things I've heard have been less than stellar. Really, though, once you get here, if you don't like it you can jump ship to a different company anyway.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
December 19th, 2014, 08:41
A very good point. You never really know what you're getting yourself into, but it is important to remember that it's just a job - jobs can change.

King Creamsoda
December 19th, 2014, 09:45
Yikes!!! Does anyone have any examples of these horror stories? I tried for JET last year but didnt get an interview and the people at Interac weren't too enthusiastic either so this feels like my last chance to get to Japan! LOL!

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
December 19th, 2014, 09:46
... Holiday?

uthinkimlost?
December 19th, 2014, 09:49
The usual: underpaid, pay not quite as promised, irregular work. Complaints you'd have about most dispatch companies.

Like I said, if you find yourself in a bad situation, you can change out companies easily enough.

King Creamsoda
December 19th, 2014, 09:53
Well the pay cant be worse than what I get now! LOL!

I'm sure it'll be fine, I can deal with a few little annoyances. I was worried it would be like those places in China you read about where they confiscate your passport and stuff! Scary!!

uthinkimlost?
December 19th, 2014, 09:55
Ini probably knows more about the dispatch companies than any of us, but he'll be indisposed for a while more.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
December 19th, 2014, 10:07
I'm sure he'll be a veritable ray of sunshine on his return though.

Why do you want to work abroad, Creamsofa?

greyjoy
December 19th, 2014, 10:08
Do you have to get to japan this year? Are you dying?

If you didn't get the interview for JET last year, did you not think to do anything to improve yourself this year? Did you even apply for JET again this year?

greyjoy
December 19th, 2014, 10:09
Why do you want to work abroad, Creamsofa?

Stick to your own schtick, SomePeopleJustSaySnow.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
December 19th, 2014, 10:13
Stick to your own schtick, SomePeopleJustSaySnow.

I got there first, Calvin!

King Creamsoda
December 19th, 2014, 13:02
I just need to break out of the rut I've fallen into and want to experience living in Japan for a few years. JET and Interac were looking for people with years of teaching experience as far as I could tell. I'm not looking to become a full time teacher or anything so Borderlink seemed better than wasting time doing a TEFL or whatever.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
December 19th, 2014, 13:10
Meh, fair enough. What kind of experience are you looking for, though? And whether you want to pursue teaching or not, do you think that you would actually enjoy it?

greyjoy
December 19th, 2014, 13:20
I know a few jets here with some small teaching experience. Most of them are like me though, and had virtually none. A lot of kids are hired straight out of university, and if they have any experience it's as assistants. That's all they're hiring for anyway. Of course it doesn't hurt to put in a few hours tutoring English or training in your current industry. Obviously something was lacking if you didn't get the interview. But don't feel like you have to be on a teaching path to get in.

Sorry this isn't information about what you're asking about, but it just seems like if you're not qualified enough for certain programs, you shouldn't really be looking for a lower bar to clear, but for something to help you improve so you can actually get a better job.

sharpinthefang
December 20th, 2014, 22:25
I just need to break out of the rut I've fallen into and want to experience living in Japan for a few years. JET and Interac were looking for people with years of teaching experience as far as I could tell. I'm not looking to become a full time teacher or anything so Borderlink seemed better than wasting time doing a TEFL or whatever.
I'm a straight out of Uni girl who has had little experience in tutoring students as well as leading a scout troop for a few years. See if you can improve on those things. With Interac, did you put in placement requests? If so, are you sure you have to go there.
I know a few people leaving my area this spring, maybe you could suggest there.

Jiggit
December 20th, 2014, 22:42
Or maybe his borderlink stuff will turn out fine. Stay positive, people! ☺

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
December 21st, 2014, 01:35

That is true. People told me I'd hate JET, I'd hate Japan, I'd hate Hokkaido... wrong on all counts.

Frap
December 21st, 2014, 01:56
That is true. People told me I'd hate JET, I'd hate Japan, I'd hate Hokkaido... wrong on all counts.
Hello!

I'm currently waiting to hear whether or not I've been selected for an interview. My top choice is Hokkaido for a couple of reasons. Were you hoping for a northern placement or was it a surprise? How easy is it to buy appropriate snowy footwear?

sharpinthefang
December 21st, 2014, 08:03
Hello!

I'm currently waiting to hear whether or not I've been selected for an interview. My top choice is Hokkaido for a couple of reasons. Were you hoping for a northern placement or was it a surprise? How easy is it to buy appropriate snowy footwear?
Did you apply for Borderlink?

Frap
December 21st, 2014, 08:30
Did you apply for Borderlink?
Oops, no! Sorry! For JET.

sharpinthefang
December 21st, 2014, 09:52
Oops, no! Sorry! For JET.
Thats fine, before much longer a placement request thread will come up in applying where we can all discuss placements etc.

King Creamsoda
December 22nd, 2014, 10:43

Thanks! I came here to ask if anyone else was applying through borderlink, not be heckled!!

sharpinthefang
December 22nd, 2014, 10:45
Sorry if it came across that way. It was not intended to be.:(

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
December 22nd, 2014, 11:56
Thanks! I came here to ask if anyone else was applying through borderlink, not be heckled!!

Sorry if it came across that way. It was not intended to be.:(

What she said - it was heckling from a kind place though, I'm thinking. The more information you have the better prepared you are!

King Creamsoda
December 22nd, 2014, 15:40
It's ok, I'm working on developing a thicker skin. It seems like a necessary requirement to post here!!!

Antonath
December 22nd, 2014, 16:58
It's ok, I'm working on developing a thicker skin. It seems like a necessary requirement to post here!!!
For working in Japan, too!

Risingfromashes
December 28th, 2014, 23:41
I've been told by many friends abroad in Japan that getting your feet on the ground over there with a valid work visa is step 1. Of course you don't want to apply to a company that's going to screw you, but if you don't like what you see when you get there, there are WAY more employment options over there than applying from abroad.

JET is a wonderful program with awesome perks, but you shouldn't force yourself to reapply every year if that's not what you want to do. I needed an answer fast cause I need to move in April, I didn't want to move my family to the inaka cause my husband wanted access to a Japanese language school and to other part time work, and I'd rather have vacation time than higher pay any day. So JET was not the right choice for me. I applied to dispatch companies instead. I've heard the JET process is long and hard, and I'm sure it's worth it to many of the applicants, but it's not always the option for everyone. You should try to get some experience tutoring or working with kids if you don't have it. Although teaching is just the avenue most people take for the opportunity to move to Japan, the fact is that you will still have to teach. Every day. So make sure you prepare so that you're comfortable doing it, and that you have something that shows your dedication on your resume.

I'm not endorsing Borderlink, but most of the completely shady stuff I've read about them was posted years ago. All the dispatch companies are just that, companies. They are focused on making as much money as possible. You'll find an array of annoyances from health insurance to overpriced apartments, to reduced pay in certain months. You have to decide what you can live with and then go for whatever is the best fit for you. Just make sure to do your research first, so you know what you're getting into.

mothy
January 1st, 2015, 06:06
Mostly I agree with rinsingpromasses. If you're planning on sticking around awhile come however you can and then move on when you get the chance. But if you're thinking one or two years, a sugary company like borderlink probably wouldn't be worth it, unless your situation in your home country is a caramel frappucino. But then maybe you should be taking a hard look at what you're doing with your life.

sharpinthefang
January 1st, 2015, 14:19
Mostly I agree with rinsingpromasses.
This is your best one so far.

helloalissa
November 30th, 2015, 15:00

Did you make it to Japan? This is late, but I worked with Borderlink a few years ago.

You don't need a TEFL certificate. A cheap online one is only worth it if the company you work for pays more for experience.
Interac sucks - even if you have experience, your base pay is 230,000 a month. The -250,000 is a lie, just a reimbursement for leasing a car from them. (Because they only place in rural areas which almost always require driving.)

Borderlink does pay more for experience (but their salary range is 210,000-230,000), they only place in the Kanto region and nearby (expanding) and they are actually more organized now than when I worked for them. (I interviewed with them a couple months ago as a backup.) Yes, Borderlink is a typical recruiter/dispatch company, and they all operate like temporary agencies, taking about a third of the salary paid by the Board of Education. They help you transition and find a job overseas, so they think that's okay, but ALTs think they are ripping us off. It's a business, and they do well. The salary for ALTs has not gone up for at least 30 years. It's an easy job with a high status, better than being underemployed in the US, I think.

All that to say, I LOVED my experience assistant teaching at a junior high school, and Borderlink a big factor. The school(s) you end up working at and your attitude are way more important factors than the sneaky dispatch companies.
Good luck!