PDA

View Full Version : Forgot the word "and" in my SOP, just now realizing it. ..

WonderingUnicorn
January 8th, 2015, 23:52
Forgot the word "and" in my SOP, just now realizing it!

I feel horrible! Everything else was spotless, and i forgot one freaking word.

Has this happened to anyone else? I read that during the interview if you make it they might bring up grammar mistakes in you made on your application. ..

miamicoordinator
January 8th, 2015, 23:57

Has this happened to anyone else? I read that during the interview if you make it they might bring up grammar mistakes in you made on your application. ..

If everything else in your SoP was fine, missing one word is not going to mean the end of the world. I can't speak for other interview panels but I only focus on grammar when things are very off. Missing one word is more of a simple mistake rather than you not knowing how to write in English.

WonderingUnicorn
January 8th, 2015, 23:59
Thanks i know i shouldn't freak out, but still. ..omg

itsabird
January 9th, 2015, 08:39
Miami misspells stuff all the time. Look at his posts. :)

miamicoordinator
January 9th, 2015, 08:43
Miami misspells stuff all the time. Look at his posts. :)

I know where you live.

Zolrak 22
January 9th, 2015, 08:50
I know where you live.
I'm impressed and terrified at the same time.

Kudos [emoji6]

sharpinthefang
January 9th, 2015, 09:11
Thank god no British panellists are on here then.

PuddingHead
January 9th, 2015, 20:55
Thank god no British panellists are on here then.

It's kind of reassuring to hear your consulate rep threaten someone.

miamicoordinator
January 9th, 2015, 23:39
It's kind of reassuring to hear your consulate rep threaten someone.

/pitchfork

WonderingUnicorn
January 9th, 2015, 23:42
Can't wait until the emails come out saying we made it to the next stage or not. ..i need to know!

PuddingHead
January 10th, 2015, 00:28
/pitchfork

Excellent, excellent. I am now reassured that I will get an interview and it will go swimmingly.

I feel like there should be a special headnod during interviews for those who've been threatened. +5 points to pitchforked girl.

Zolrak 22
January 10th, 2015, 02:33
+5 points to pitchforked girl.

Should've applied in Miami then, I have a feeling the rep would wanna burn me at the stake. [emoji1]

miamicoordinator
January 10th, 2015, 03:40
Should've applied in Miami then, I have a feeling the rep would wanna burn me at the stake. [emoji1]

I am always dissapointed that very few Miami applicants are ITILers. There always seem to be a few here and there. It becomes a game for me trying to guess who is who during interview times. When I eventually figure it out though, it makes it all worth it.

For example, now I know Pudding is female, so that eliminates 1/2 of the people she could be. When people say stuff like "I like 3 hours away from Miami" there are only a handful of schools that fit that profile, so on and so forth. I got this all figured out people ;p

Zolrak 22
January 10th, 2015, 04:10
I got this all figured out people ;p

I'd be easy to figure out. The only guy from Puerto Rico. [emoji28]

hiddenlee22
January 10th, 2015, 04:53
Living in New Jersey, I'm jealous of those who will be graced with MC's presence during interviews in Florida. Almost makes we wish I applied to that consulate.

PuddingHead
January 10th, 2015, 05:04
I am always dissapointed that very few Miami applicants are ITILers. There always seem to be a few here and there. It becomes a game for me trying to guess who is who during interview times. When I eventually figure it out though, it makes it all worth it.

For example, now I know Pudding is female, so that eliminates 1/2 of the people she could be. When people say stuff like "I like 3 hours away from Miami" there are only a handful of schools that fit that profile, so on and so forth. I got this all figured out people ;p

It's a shame there are so few, considering you're the most active rep on ITIL. The fact that you're so involved gives me unjustified pride at applying through Miami.

I'm actually playing the same game with you. I have little reason to think so, but I'm fairly certain I met you in November. It would be great if I was right, but I won't figure that out until interviews (if you're even one of the three interviewers).

Who will discover the other's identity first? Only time will tell!

You can't be the only one, right? ...Right?

miamicoordinator
January 10th, 2015, 05:11

I actually feel bad for applicants from P.R since there is no Consulate there, and for some reason Japan has decided that the Consulate in New York is in charge of P.R. in terms of jurisdiction. So strange to me.
There are usually a couple people from P.R. every year though. Im amazed they even find out about it because its not like we can hold info sessions there.

miamicoordinator
January 10th, 2015, 05:12
Living in New Jersey, I'm jealous of those who will be graced with MC's presence during interviews in Florida. Almost makes we wish I applied to that consulate.

Don't feel too bad. Your NY coordinator, Noriko is ab absolute sweetheart. You are going to love her! (Hopefully she is on your panel).

Zolrak 22
January 10th, 2015, 05:15

Pretty sure I am. [emoji28]

The only other Puerto Rican (online) to have ever shown interest in JET was a high school girl in 2009.

Her post led me to ITIL and it's the reason I consider Word the face of this website.

(He was the one who answered her thread)

I'm sure there's probably others, but it's extremely unusual. We don't have any universities with Japanese (except for one small class) and there's an extreme lack of J culture here.

It's what leads a lot of people to get the wrong idea of Japan, as most only know what they've seen in sources like anime and movies.

I was pretty surprised to hear we even had a small matsuri festival.

So strange to me.

It's probably because we aren't a State.
[emoji29]

miamicoordinator
January 10th, 2015, 05:24
It's a shame there are so few, considering you're the most active rep on ITIL. The fact that you're so involved gives me unjustified pride at applying through Miami.

I'm actually playing the same game with you. I have little reason to think so, but I'm fairly certain I met you in November. It would be great if I was right, but I won't figure that out until interviews (if you're even one of the three interviewers).

Who will discover the other's identity first? Only time will tell!

Well, you definitely met me since I am the only coordinator in Florida, ha!

We only have one interview panel in Miami. My boss, another woman who has been helping us with interviews for many years, and me. So yup, you will be seeing me again.

JestersJ
January 10th, 2015, 05:55

Don't worry about it. I read my friend's SoP from two years ago and she had 3 typos and a misspelled word (she spelled faucet instead of facet) and she got in fine.
Good luck! I've been too nervous to re-read mine again in fear of finding mistakes.

ambrosse
January 10th, 2015, 06:07
I wish there was a coordinator from Chicago on ITIL. For now, Miami, you are my surrogate coordinator! Congrats and many thanks!

Zolrak 22
January 10th, 2015, 06:12
For now, Miami, you are my surrogate coordinator!

+1

[emoji1]

sharpinthefang
January 10th, 2015, 09:30
Your job, dear people, when you are all going to your interview locations is to spread the word about ITIL and how much help this site has been. Encourage them to also come to the lounge where we provide stress relief during the long wait.

ambrosse
January 10th, 2015, 09:38
Your job, dear people, when you are all going to your interview locations is to spread the word about ITIL and how much help this site has been. Encourage them to also come to the lounge where we provide stress relief during the long wait.

Done.

uthinkimlost?
January 10th, 2015, 09:38
I advise against that, folks. It won't be hard for others to figure out who you are, if you value anonymity.

sharpinthefang
January 10th, 2015, 09:41
I advise against that, folks. It won't be hard for others to figure out who you are, if you value anonymity.
True, but how many people will remember individuals other than the stress of the interviews? At least if you get them to write the website down we could get a few more people.

laura1088
January 10th, 2015, 09:46

I will definitely do this if I am selected for an interview! I want more people on this site! It's helping me out through these couple weeks of waiting! (didn't really become full time stalker until just before New Years...)

Considering my username, I'm sure it's not hard to guess what my actual name is. I honestly couldn't care either way though. I'll probably go by my alias most of the time if I get in and go to Japan.

hiddenlee22
January 10th, 2015, 10:38
I would honestly be surprised if more applicants didn't use sites like this one to find out all they could about the JET process. I'm not crazy, but I'd like to have a fairly good idea on getting into a program that has ivy-like acceptance rates.

elfpoet
January 10th, 2015, 10:53
No more clues from me. Chances are some intrepid coordinator could guess from my post history if I get an interview.

*If* I get one...

sharpinthefang
January 10th, 2015, 11:06
No more clues from me. Chances are some intrepid coordinator could guess from my post history if I get an interview.

*If* I get one...
Hint hint.

AyaReiko
January 10th, 2015, 14:34
I personally found this forum looking for advice for my interview last year, so I think there may be a lot of lurkers who just never join the conversation (or create an account). No harm in suggesting other candidates to have a look, though. Would be kind of fun if you end up going together!

miamicoordinator
January 11th, 2015, 07:36

*If* I get one...

:)

PuddingHead
January 11th, 2015, 16:20
Well, you definitely met me since I am the only coordinator in Florida, ha!

We only have one interview panel in Miami. My boss, another woman who has been helping us with interviews for many years, and me. So yup, you will be seeing me again.

Oh, wow! At least I know 1/3 of my potential interview panel will be pleasant.

Pretty sure I am.

The only other Puerto Rican (online) to have ever shown interest in JET was a high school girl in 2009.

Her post led me to ITIL and it's the reason I consider Word the face of this website.

(He was the one who answered her thread)

I'm sure there's probably others, but it's extremely unusual. We don't have any universities with Japanese (except for one small class) and there's an extreme lack of J culture here.

It's what leads a lot of people to get the wrong idea of Japan, as most only know what they've seen in sources like anime and movies.

I was pretty surprised to hear we even had a small matsuri festival.

What originally got you interested in Japan? There were two girls from Puerto Rico in my college's Japanese program so I had no idea it was so uncommon.

Zolrak 22
January 11th, 2015, 17:34
What originally got you interested in Japan? There were two girls from Puerto Rico in my college's Japanese program so I had no idea it was so uncommon.

Pretty standard stuff, an interest in myths, martial arts and trying to find the origin of those amusing cartoons when I was a kid.

I've always been fascinated with Knights, Samurai and the like. So this led me to find more info about Japan and such.

In fact, I'd like to learn/practice Kendo should I get to Japan.

Jiggit
January 11th, 2015, 20:00
Pretty standard stuff.

rhymes with "soon"

Already regretting being a mod.

Zolrak 22
January 11th, 2015, 20:30

rhymes with "soon"

Such a shame that we are in applying, eh? [emoji6]

mothy
January 12th, 2015, 17:16

rhymes with "soon"

It's never too late to quit.

Something all you soon to be JETs should keep in mind.

OtherPulse
January 12th, 2015, 23:10
It's never too late to quit.

Something all you soon to be JETs should keep in mind.
Whenever I read your posts I always picture Eeyore.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
January 13th, 2015, 09:53
Zolrak, I read that first sentence completely wrong.

Zolrak 22
January 13th, 2015, 13:17
Zolrak, I read that first sentence completely wrong.

Is that so?

Please enlighten me. [emoji14]