PDA

View Full Version : Certificate of Eligibility Concerns



gahrok
January 20th, 2015, 17:07
Hey there everybody. I am sorry to be the guy that swoops in with a question before contributing, but I have no choice at the moment. Hopefully I can give back in the future.

I am the type of person to cover all my bases so I've applied and been accepted to several jobs abroad for the spring semester. I wasn't necessarily expecting this JET interview callback but there it is in my inbox. Now I have a dilemma. INTERAC has already started applying for my Certificate of Eligibility in Japan. If I then decide to reject INTERAC's offer and accept JET's will I have issues with getting a visa?

Thoughts?

Also has anyone been given or heard of an earlier notice of acceptance than April? It is a little late for me to find out if I pass the interview stage as I have another offer to consider.

Best regards and thankyou for your time,

-Gahrok

sharpinthefang
January 20th, 2015, 17:51
At this point in time JET is still a maybe. Don't screw up a confirmed job for a maybe

Ini
January 20th, 2015, 17:57
do you really want to go with interac? probably worth rolling the dice

gahrok
January 20th, 2015, 18:08
First of all: thank you very much for your responses!

@Ini

I also have a Korean public school job offer as well, although I'm waiting for the paperwork to go through before I consider it a done deal.

JET is certainly better than Interac, but on par with my Korean offer. Unfortunately I'd leave for Korea mid-april, which precludes my original idea of waiting until I see if I got JET as well then deciding. And as Sharp has pointed out, JET is no gaurantee, and I really don't fancy waiting another year. Not when I've spent a lot of time and effort seeking out my best options in Asia this year and have a five year plan for work and school.

@Sharpinthefang

How did you find the switch from Interac to JET and did you have to fly back to your home country to do so? I agree with you that it seems silly to throw away a confirmed job for a maybe, but turning down the interview also strikes me as rash.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ini
January 20th, 2015, 18:11
Sharp isnt a JET.

Go for Korea if it pays better than interac and is a done deal.

word
January 20th, 2015, 18:29
Yeah, Korea is basically just Japan with better food, more advanced tech, and ruder Asians, anyway.

Jiggit
January 20th, 2015, 18:33
From my extensive research I can confirm that Korea is probably better so long as you don't think girls need bottoms.

sharpinthefang
January 20th, 2015, 18:38
If you also have a confirmed offer for Korea, go there.
I was upgraded and asked to go to the butt fuck of Hokkaido. By that point I was already settled where I am, plus I don't like the cold so i turned it down.

Jiggit
January 20th, 2015, 18:41
I was upgraded and asked to go to the butt fuck of Hokkaido.

Damn, Snow, you gotta take it a bit more slowly. Take them for coffee a few times at least!

uthinkimlost?
January 20th, 2015, 19:11
Damn, Snow, you gotta take it a bit more slowly. Take them for coffee a few times at least!

The Ballad of Snow's Nights:

http://youtu.be/j-wiji_DkhM

Link fixt

miamicoordinator
January 21st, 2015, 02:03
Hey there everybody. I am sorry to be the guy that swoops in with a question before contributing, but I have no choice at the moment. Hopefully I can give back in the future.

I am the type of person to cover all my bases so I've applied and been accepted to several jobs abroad for the spring semester. I wasn't necessarily expecting this JET interview callback but there it is in my inbox. Now I have a dilemma. INTERAC has already started applying for my Certificate of Eligibility in Japan. If I then decide to reject INTERAC's offer and accept JET's will I have issues with getting a visa?

Thoughts?

Also has anyone been given or heard of an earlier notice of acceptance than April? It is a little late for me to find out if I pass the interview stage as I have another offer to consider.

Best regards and thankyou for your time,

-Gahrok

I can give you some insight on this. When a company starts to apply for your CoE, and then they cancel it, or you don't use it, you do get flagged in our system. You should not have any problems getting your visa through JET since applicants are not granted a CoE. Consulates are sent instructions, and a list with the names of the JETs and their dependents, and we issue visas accordingly.

Your biggest issue will be if you are not short listed. CoEs must be used within 3 months of their issue date. Essentially, your CoE from interac will expire long before you depart in July/August(if you are short listed), however, if you do not make the cut, and try to apply through interac or another company again, you may run into problems.

Best of luck,

MC

gahrok
January 21st, 2015, 06:49
I can give you some insight on this. When a company starts to apply for your CoE, and then they cancel it, or you don't use it, you do get flagged in our system. You should not have any problems getting your visa through JET since applicants are not granted a CoE. Consulates are sent instructions, and a list with the names of the JETs and their dependents, and we issue visas accordingly.

Your biggest issue will be if you are not short listed. CoEs must be used within 3 months of their issue date. Essentially, your CoE from interac will expire long before you depart in July/August(if you are short listed), however, if you do not make the cut, and try to apply through interac or another company again, you may run into problems.

Best of luck,

MC

Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for. Do you think JET would look unfavorably on my having applied with Interac when they see the flag in their system?

miamicoordinator
January 21st, 2015, 07:00
Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for. Do you think JET would look unfavorably on my having applied with Interac when they see the flag in their system?

Absolutely not. There are many people in your exact same position every year. They often have Interac/other companies on stand by just in case they are not short listed.

Since JET participants teach English through a government sponsored program, it is different than the private English school route. There is no CoE, or long approval process. If you were not short listed, and tried to apply for another private English school in Japan though, you might run into some problems there depending on the company. They may not want to hire someone who bailed on another company after agreeing to work for them. Just food for thought.

Gizmotech
January 21st, 2015, 09:27
Miami, how would the other company applying for a CoE know that the applicant had previously turned down a CoE. Does the embassy inform them of this?

miamicoordinator
January 21st, 2015, 10:27
Miami, how would the other company applying for a CoE know that the applicant had previously turned down a CoE. Does the embassy inform them of this?

To obtain a CoE, the company needs to apply to the ministry of justice, which has a national database of people who have applied. When someone pulls out of a contract, the first thing the company will do is inform the ministry of justice that joe shmo doesnt work for them anymore. If you were to get in trouble, they do not want to be associated with you.

This is the only way the other company would know. The ministry of justice would tell them "so, joe just applied for another coe a few months ago" then they make their decision.

echoblocks
January 22nd, 2015, 19:15
I'm going to go ahead and piggyback on here with a similar question. Hope that's alright :)

My backup for JET was supposed to be language school in Japan on a college student visa beginning in July. I ended up abandoning that route because I assumed that if I had a CoE application in progress with immigration from the language school at the same time JET tried to hire me, I'd be in trouble, and maybe end up denied for both. I gather that's what happens if you have two traditional applications going at the same time.

However, if I understand you correctly, this wouldn't be an issue for JET? My application for the CoE for the student visa would be processed by immigration around March through late May. So, this wouldn't interfere with JET should I be shortlisted?

What if I'm a JET alternate, accept my student visa in June and then find out I've been upgraded last-minute by JET (knowing that walking away from the school would probably cost me a good chunk of money)?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

miamicoordinator
January 22nd, 2015, 23:18
I'm going to go ahead and piggyback on here with a similar question. Hope that's alright :)

My backup for JET was supposed to be language school in Japan on a college student visa beginning in July. I ended up abandoning that route because I assumed that if I had a CoE application in progress with immigration from the language school at the same time JET tried to hire me, I'd be in trouble, and maybe end up denied for both. I gather that's what happens if you have two traditional applications going at the same time.

However, if I understand you correctly, this wouldn't be an issue for JET? My application for the CoE for the student visa would be processed by immigration around March through late May. So, this wouldn't interfere with JET should I be shortlisted?

What if I'm a JET alternate, accept my student visa in June and then find out I've been upgraded last-minute by JET (knowing that walking away from the school would probably cost me a good chunk of money)?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Your situation is a bit different than the other posters because you would have been getting a student visa opposed to a work visa. Also, the timing would be very different as well. Your case would have involved the language school trying to apply for your CoE in May for a July departure. As you know, JET participants go to Japan in July or August, depending on your group.

In your case, if you had kept the language school application open, your school would have had to cancel your CoE (considering it was processed in July) before we would be able to issue the actual visa. You cannot have two Japanese visas in your passport at the same time, so we are not supposed to issue visas if you have a valid CoE already in the system.

In the case you are accepted with the language school and you were already in Japan when you were contacted with an upgrade, you could definitely see about an adjustment of status from within Japan (college student->instructor) however, you would be on your own to do this. I doubt your school is going to help you with immigration procedures since you are leaving their school and they would be out of money.

People who are already in Japan can just get their status' adjusted and meet everyone else at Tokyo Orientation. They do not need to come back to the U.S. in order to depart with the group from the States.

So, having an open CoE would not be a big deal as long as it is cancelled before your JET visa is processed.

gahrok
January 23rd, 2015, 14:20
So I have decided to take the interview just in-case my other jobs fall through or I have some huge change of heart in the next few months. Taking the interview isn't going to put me in any hot water if I refuse my placement in the future right?

Cheers,

-Gahrok

sharpinthefang
January 23rd, 2015, 14:55
So I have decided to take the interview just in-case my other jobs fall through or I have some huge change of heart in the next few months. Taking the interview isn't going to put me in any hot water if I refuse my placement in the future right?

Cheers,

-Gahrok

Read above, the answer to this question has already been mentioned at least twice.

echoblocks
January 23rd, 2015, 17:30
So, having an open CoE would not be a big deal as long as it is cancelled before your JET visa is processed.

Thanks for the advice. I still have time to apply for language school - maybe I'll do so.

Is cancelling a CoE, granted or still processing, a long or difficult process? Since I will hopefully get a yes or no from JET in April, that gives the school until July (when JET visas are processed) to cancel the CoE, then, correct?

miamicoordinator
January 23rd, 2015, 23:39
Thanks for the advice. I still have time to apply for language school - maybe I'll do so.

Is cancelling a CoE, granted or still processing, a long or difficult process? Since I will hopefully get a yes or no from JET in April, that gives the school until July (when JET visas are processed) to cancel the CoE, then, correct?

Having your CoE/processed visa cancelled is not a big deal, and does not take much time.

As far as hearing yes or no in April from JET, remember that is only for the intial shortlist group. There are quite a few upgrades that happen from April-July. People decline placements, get other jobs, have family issues, etc..
Then, there are also the upgrades that happen from August-December. Those are much fewer, but they still happen. I am not saying to sit around and hope for an upgrade, of course you should have plan B, C, and D just in case something doesn't work out for you. All I am saying is that April is not the end when it comes to the JET program for many people.

echoblocks
January 24th, 2015, 17:49
Having your CoE/processed visa cancelled is not a big deal, and does not take much time.

As far as hearing yes or no in April from JET, remember that is only for the intial shortlist group. There are quite a few upgrades that happen from April-July. People decline placements, get other jobs, have family issues, etc..
Then, there are also the upgrades that happen from August-December. Those are much fewer, but they still happen. I am not saying to sit around and hope for an upgrade, of course you should have plan B, C, and D just in case something doesn't work out for you. All I am saying is that April is not the end when it comes to the JET program for many people.

Right, understood. Thanks for the help!