PDA

View Full Version : Activities for conditionals?

coop52
January 21st, 2015, 10:23
What kind of activities do you do to teach conditionals, especially second and third? The class I need the plan for is very small (5 kids) and low level. They've been taught the grammar before, but they've only done it as fill in the blank exercises and haven't actually used it before. I've never taught this kind of stuff to lower level kids, so I'm not sure what kind of activity would be appropriate.

Gizmotech
January 21st, 2015, 11:14
You mean simple " IF X THEN Y "? which sets of conditionals are they using? Are these the limited logical set, or can subjunctive be used?

coop52
January 21st, 2015, 11:24
Subjunctive, I guess. The kind with "If I had money, I would buy a pony" and "If I hadn't stayed in and watched Netflix, I might have gotten laid."

Gizmotech
January 21st, 2015, 11:29
That's how you do it. If I were rich..." work sheets, then a series of results where they make up the conditionals.

You can even do call and answer... where one student says a condition, the other student generates a response

a) If I were stupid....
b) you would be in JHS

webstaa
January 22nd, 2015, 09:50
Desert island is a favorite. "If I was on a desert island, then I would take X."

Jiggit
January 22nd, 2015, 10:01
Desert island is a favorite. "If I was on a desert island, then I would take X."

I would take phone.
I would take comics.
I would take books.

CTRL+C CTRL+V

uthinkimlost?
January 22nd, 2015, 10:06
I give them a second pool of verbs to pull from for the second half. Take, want, need, eat, f*ck... only get one use for each.

sharpinthefang
January 22nd, 2015, 12:32
Like the kiss marry kill game. Pool of ideas taken from the class first, then they can only choose one of each to do.