PDA

View Full Version : Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

hiddenlee22
January 22nd, 2015, 06:33
Hey guys,

I've been perusing the forums looking for this, but haven't come across it (I could be blind). Has anyone on here, who takes their fitness seriously, had any problems when going over to Japan on JET (or any other program) with finding adequate accommodations for said fitness e.g. lifting or cardio?

From what I've seen, most schools have "gyms", but nothing like Gold's or even Planet Fitness.

- Gracias!

Zolrak 22
January 22nd, 2015, 06:52
Well, I know there are gyms as we know them. But they are usually in the city.

I remember Givemeabreakman once made a video about it.
(He's one of those J-vloggers)

Can't speak for the schools though.

Edit :
So I'd say it's more of an ESID again. (I could be totally wrong though [emoji14])

hiddenlee22
January 22nd, 2015, 07:04
Well, I know there are gyms as we know them. But they are usually in the city.

I remember Givemeabreakman once made a video about it.
(He's one of those J-vloggers)

Can't speak for the schools though.

Edit :
So I'd say it's more of an ESID again. (I could be totally wrong though [emoji14])

J-vlogger? As in someone who vlogs in Japan? That's seriously its own "thing"? :lol:

If we're in the sticks..er..I mean "rural" towns without legitimate gyms how are people suppose to maintains their gains?!?

First-world problems

Zolrak 22
January 22nd, 2015, 07:18
Can't remember if it was him, but I heard it's easier to find gyms with machines than those with a variety of free weights.

Edit :

Something to look out for is the fact that some chains (and even privately owned ones) won't allow you inside with tattoos. So if you have any, ask beforehand or live with hiding them whenever you are there. (Same as onsens).

hiddenlee22
January 22nd, 2015, 07:31
Something to look out for is the fact that some chains (and even privately owned ones) won't allow you inside with tattoos. So if you have any, ask beforehand or live with hiding them whenever you are there. (Same as onsens).

No tats here or piercings. I did hear about that though. I thought it had something to do with the Yakuza and how hasty generalizations from the public have led to that conclusion i.e. tattoos = yakuza

I guess I'll be investing in some dumbbells while in the ol' Japon (if I get into JET)

:cool: trying to find out a little more about me eh?

Zolrak 22
January 22nd, 2015, 07:37
:cool: trying to find out a little more about me eh?

You already gave away your general figure by implying you are something along the lines of a weight lifter. [emoji41]

PuddingHead
January 22nd, 2015, 07:54
J-vlogger? As in someone who vlogs in Japan?

I like this reaction.

It seems like you're more interested in lifting weights, so I really don't know how to help you on that front. Cardio's easy enough without a gym. You can run around outside if you don't mind people staring at you.

hiddenlee22
January 22nd, 2015, 07:58
You already gave away your general figure by implying you are something along the lines of a weight lifter. [emoji41]

And the game continues...:cool:

It seems like you're more interested in lifting weights, so I really don't know how to help you on that front. Cardio's easy enough without a gym. You can run around outside if you don't mind people staring at you.

I'm a big fan of HIIT cardio which I can only imagine as being next to impossible to do in general public areas without more than a few stares. :'(

Zolrak 22
January 22nd, 2015, 08:00
As the big new gaijin in town, you are going to get stares anyway

Might as well make the best of it.

hiddenlee22
January 22nd, 2015, 08:08
Not that I don't love the idea of Japanese people marveling at my physique, but HIIT makes you look ridiculous, while sweating like a beast. If you've ever done programs like Insanity, just imagine what that might be like...in public.

Zolrak 22
January 22nd, 2015, 08:11
Alright, alright.

Then see about doing those in the school gym.

Pretty sure you can use it in middle and high school.

Elementary schools won't have one though.

webstaa
January 22nd, 2015, 08:22
There are a lot of "sports" complexes. For swimming, basketball, tennis, etc. Outside of actual cities, there aren't a lot of actual gyms. Free weights are rarer still. I live about 1h drive away from the nearest "gym." Joining is ¥3000, and an extra ¥1000 to take a 'class' to be able to use their free weights (mind you, there is one squat rack, one bench rack, and two olympic bars and only about 300lbs of plates total.) A good number of cardio machines of varying age - treadmills/ellipticals/stationary bikes. There is also a few multi-function weight machines. No shower/bathing facilities on site, and each visit costs ¥450.

There is are a few gym chains in larger cities. Gold's has a few locations, as well as 24hr Fitness. (You can use those if you've joined 24hr Fitness in the US.)

I found it easier to get back into road cycling. But that isn't cheap. And that's one reason why jogging/running is so popular in Japan.

Jiggit
January 22nd, 2015, 08:30
Can't remember if it was him, but I heard it's easier to find gyms with machines than those with a variety of free weights.

Not necessarily true. The modern gyms don't have a lot of free weights, true. But the local community "training rooms" (トレーニングルーム if you want to search for it) have pretty much nothing but free weights and are far more common. They don't have much, true, you'll be working out like Rocky in the 70s, but that isn't necessarily bad. They also cost way less - I pay under 6000 yen for a year's membership. And as people have said, you may well have one at school, though it's up to you how self-conscious you are about it.

If you want a bunch of machines and classes you'll probably have to travel for it.

By the way if you ask Japanese people where there's a "gym" they won't think you're talking about a weight room, they'll only think of the big complexes. I was asking people in my town where I could workout for a year before I discovered there's one 5 minutes from my apartment.

johnny
January 22nd, 2015, 09:01
Jiggit pretty much said what I was going to say.

I have one gym close to me and one that is somewhat close. The one close to me is the local community gym. It's not perfect, but the drop in fee is 310円, and it has cardio equipment, a couple weightlifting machines and some free weights (dumbbells, but no barbells). Save for the cardio equipment, it really does remind me of Apollo Creed's gym in Rocky 2...minus the black people.

The interesting thing for me is that the rest of the facility is just gorgeous. The swimming pool, the baths and saunas and the other stuff is really nice. The weightlifting room seems like such an afterthought.

Ini
January 22nd, 2015, 09:19
there are plenty of golds gyms around the place if you dont mind paying 15000yen a month....

johnny
January 22nd, 2015, 09:21
Seriously, 15,000 a month? I heard gyms are expensive, but that is a crap load of money.

azguitarist
January 22nd, 2015, 10:16
I live in a tiny city that doesn't even have a Mcdonalds but my public gym is warm, contains squat racks, bench racks, a wide array of free weights and a pull up bar. It only costs about $2.50 a visit and is only a 5 minute walk from my house. I got pretty lucky in that regard.

johnny
January 22nd, 2015, 10:48
This reminds me of Korea, where parks would have an interesting array of outdoor exercise equipment. Even small little parks would have exercise stuff.

sharpinthefang
January 22nd, 2015, 11:53
J-vlogger? As in someone who vlogs in Japan? That's seriously its own "thing"? :lol:

We have a whole thread in the lounge about vlogging. Come check it out.

johnny
January 22nd, 2015, 11:58
And yes, it is a thing here.

Apollo87
January 22nd, 2015, 14:29
Getting swole in Japan ain't too hard these days. I second the suggestions about finding the nearest city gym. It will be about Y200 to train in the weight room. Theres lots of places to get a workout in though. Pullups during recess on the school field for example. I also bought a pullup station for my apartment from a departing JET (you can find the same one on amazon.jp) and hung up gymnastics rings (pellor, also from amazon) on there. Picked up an ab roller and a couple 20kg dumbells and I'm pretty good for home workouts.

hiddenlee22
January 23rd, 2015, 00:00
Seems as though I have a few options, when/if I get to Japan. The gyms, from everybody's descriptions, aren't necessary "lacking", but they aren't equivalent to Gold's (for example). I am probably going to invest in some home equipment for certain exercises.

Pullups during recess on the school field for example. I also bought a pullup station for my apartment from a departing JET (you can find the same one on amazon.jp) and hung up gymnastics rings (pellor, also from amazon) on there. Picked up an ab roller and a couple 20kg dumbells and I'm pretty good for home workouts.

How tall is the pullup station? I was just going to get a pullup bar, but if these apartments have some height...

genkispirit
January 23rd, 2015, 03:27
When it comes to working out in Asia you have to remember two things.

1) They don't have a huge bodybuilding culture out there, yet. It's growing but it's nothing like it is in the western world.
2) Sociologically speaking, bigger men, are not attractive to Asian women, generally. I know my girlfriend wants me to lose weight, and I'm only 220, relatively lean.

That being said, you can maintain your weight with Calisthetics you just might not be the next Jay Cutler. From what I found at the universities that I was at in both Japan and South Korea, it's not the equipment that you'll have an issue finding. It's the weight that will be a problem. The university I was at in South Korea they only had 4/20.5kg plates for the entire gym. That's enough to keep your chest/bis/tris in fairly decent shape. But your back and legs are gonna suffer with such a small amount of weight. The machines for legs, and even upper body only went to around 80kg. Which, if you go to the gym even 3-5 days a week for only an hour you'll notice will get very light, very quickly.

If you're concerned about the height of a pullup station, just bend your legs.

@Apollo87; I didn't realize you were L7frost. I watched your MTV Cribs apartment video a few years back. You still got that sick ride? ;)

Zolrak 22
January 23rd, 2015, 03:59
@Apollo87; I didn't realize you were L7frost. I watched your MTV Cribs apartment video a few years back. You still go that sick ride? ;)

So many questions...

So little time.

naginataonthebrain
January 23rd, 2015, 04:09
Is there a stigma for women who like to workout in Japan? Specifically with weights? I know I shouldn't give a flying duck because I'll get flack wherever I go because I'm a gaijin... but I'm just wondering how many eyebrows I will raise when I ask people about women-friendly gyms.

Ini
January 23rd, 2015, 06:06
None from what I've seen. It might depend on your placement but if you have a university nearby where theres a somewhat competitive judo team then you'll see plenty of girls who are 80kg of muscle and terror walking around.

naginataonthebrain
January 23rd, 2015, 06:37
None from what I've seen. It might depend on your placement but if you have a university nearby where theres a somewhat competitive judo team then you'll see plenty of girls who are 80kg of muscle and terror walking around.

Sign me up, then!

Penguee
January 23rd, 2015, 10:26
Is there a stigma for women who like to workout in Japan? Specifically with weights? I know I shouldn't give a flying duck because I'll get flack wherever I go because I'm a gaijin... but I'm just wondering how many eyebrows I will raise when I ask people about women-friendly gyms.
Most women here are terrified of getting muscle so the gym programs all claim that they won't make you overly buff.

Jiggit
January 23rd, 2015, 10:30
I was under the impression that there was a stigma everywhere against women working out with weights? I've met plenty girls back home who seem to think that they're going to turn into Arnie if they so much as look at a dumbbell sideways.

hiddenlee22
January 23rd, 2015, 11:23
I was under the impression that there was a stigma everywhere against women working out with weights? I've met plenty girls back home who seem to think that they're going to turn into Arnie if they so much as look at a dumbbell sideways.

I've noticed that too. A lot of women have that mindset (lifting=Arnie). Not enough women know how to properly lift (or fitness in general).

naginataonthebrain
January 23rd, 2015, 12:21
I've noticed that too. A lot of women have that mindset (lifting=Arnie). Not enough women know how to properly lift (or fitness in general).

Yeah, this idea of weights making you turn into a bodybuilder overnight is nonsense. In fact, in order to lose weight and become lean, you cannot rely on cardio alone. Weights are a necessity.

If I get into JET, i will hope that I get placed somewhere that has a decent gym. If not, well I guess I can invest in some free weights and watch fitness videos on YouTube (oh god, I'm already getting Jane Fonda vibes from this...)

Apollo87
January 23rd, 2015, 13:22
When it comes to working out in Asia you have to remember two things.

1) They don't have a huge bodybuilding culture out there, yet. It's growing but it's nothing like it is in the western world.
2) Sociologically speaking, bigger men, are not attractive to Asian women, generally. I know my girlfriend wants me to lose weight, and I'm only 220, relatively lean.

That being said, you can maintain your weight with Calisthetics you just might not be the next Jay Cutler. From what I found at the universities that I was at in both Japan and South Korea, it's not the equipment that you'll have an issue finding. It's the weight that will be a problem. The university I was at in South Korea they only had 4/20.5kg plates for the entire gym. That's enough to keep your chest/bis/tris in fairly decent shape. But your back and legs are gonna suffer with such a small amount of weight. The machines for legs, and even upper body only went to around 80kg. Which, if you go to the gym even 3-5 days a week for only an hour you'll notice will get very light, very quickly.

If you're concerned about the height of a pullup station, just bend your legs.

@Apollo87; I didn't realize you were L7frost. I watched your MTV Cribs apartment video a few years back. You still got that sick ride? ;)

Yeah, annecdotally in Japan being jacked appeals to a subset of women (growing, but still a small subset)..However it usually isn't a net negative. I would still much rather be tanked than fat in Japan. Also if you are a foreigner, the same rules don't really apply as much to you anyway. Just do what you want, swole on brotha.

You're also right about gyms not having enough weights. My cheap city gym has a bench press with up to around 300lbs of weight that can be used for deadlifts and squats (yes, I squat at the bench station sometimes) and that is its saving grace.

What's been relatively pricier has been getting a decent protein intake. These days, I dont care about price as much as taste and so I just order ON Whey from bodybuilding.com. Mmm..mocha

I used to get this and it wasn't bad, especially for the price:
Amazon.co.jp: グリコ パワープロダクション マックスロード ホエイプロテイン チョコレート風味 3.5kg: ヘルスビューティー (http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%91%E3%83%AF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%97%E3%83%AD%E3%83%80%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%B3-%E3%83%9E%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89-%E3%83%9B%E3%82%A8%E3%82%A4%E3%83%97%E3%83%AD%E3%83%86%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3-%E3%83%81%E3%83%A7%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E9%A2%A8%E5%91%B3-3-5kg/dp/B00J7KULW6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421986784&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=glico+maxload+protein)

Lastly, thats pretty funny that you stumbled upon my video haha. Here's a newer apartment tour - skip to 8:11 for my home training setup:

http://youtu.be/pil0ogDdIxo?t=8m11s

Still got the roadster too^^

Ini
January 23rd, 2015, 13:32
how ghastly

genkispirit
January 24th, 2015, 12:19
Lastly, thats pretty funny that you stumbled upon my video haha. Here's a newer apartment tour - skip to 8:11 for my home training setup:

http://youtu.be/pil0ogDdIxo?t=8m11s

Still got the roadster too^^

Your apartment is an amazing size! You mentioned that you're on your last year on JET? with that apartment did you rent it yourself or is it through the JET programme? Will you be remaining in Japan after JET?

Zolrak 22
January 24th, 2015, 12:52
An apartment with a graveyard next to it... I'm having a weird sense of Deja Vu.

word
January 24th, 2015, 13:31
An apartment with a graveyard next to it... I'm having a weird sense of Deja Vu.

I don't think I've ever seen a building anywhere in Japan that didn't have a graveyard within a few hundred meters.

webstaa
January 26th, 2015, 09:50
I don't think I've ever seen a building anywhere in Japan that didn't have a graveyard within a few hundred meters.

No graveyard within a good 1km or so of my apartment. But there are a number of broken/miscarved headstones across the road...

Apollo87
January 26th, 2015, 09:56
Your apartment is an amazing size! You mentioned that you're on your last year on JET? with that apartment did you rent it yourself or is it through the JET programme? Will you be remaining in Japan after JET?It's way bigger than like a Leo Palace, but its also an old building and showing its age a bit. Also, I shot with a wide angle lens so my place actually looks more spacious than it actually is. That being said, it is a pretty decent sized place relative to other JETs. Its through JET, but I had to jump through some hoops to make the move. After JET, I've got a few options I'm working towards, a couple of which have me staying in Japan but it still remains to be seen how things will play out. We'll see!

itsabird
January 26th, 2015, 10:08
Yeah. Let me just catch the next ferry for the 2:15 hour ride and then walk 40 minutes to the park to pay 500 yen to use their weight room that doesn't even go high enough for a one arm dumbbell curl...
Give me a break.
Japan's workout culture is atrocious.

EDIT: And don't even get me started on them not even having ONE pullup bar. WHAT GYM DOESN'T HAVE A PULLUP BAR!?

hiddenlee22
January 26th, 2015, 10:11
Yeah. Let me just catch the next ferry for the 2:15 hour ride and then walk 40 minutes to the park to pay 500 yen to use their weight room that doesn't even go high enough for a one arm dumbbell curl...
Give me a break.
Japan's workout culture is atrocious.

EDIT: And don't even get me started on them not even having ONE pullup bar. WHAT GYM DOESN'T HAVE A PULLUP BAR!?

And there go my hopes for having a decent workout routine in Japan..along with any potential gains :'(

Zolrak 22
January 26th, 2015, 10:13
And there go my hopes for having a decent workout routine in Japan..along with any potential gains :'(
Bird is a special case, he lives in an isolated Island.

itsabird
January 26th, 2015, 10:16
Bird is a special case, he lives in an isolated Island.
This is true. But the fact that the dumbbells only went up to ~25-30KGs ( i think) is ridiculous.

EDIT: And this is in a gym that's pretty big sized (major city on the main island).
EDIT2: And by big size I don't mean as i the gym was big. cause it definitely wasnt. had like 5 machines and a rack.... but I mean as in it was in a center location.

itsabird
January 26th, 2015, 12:23
I need to buy some creatine for the gym... Been plateaued forever because of the lack of weights here. Also some whey protein would be nice...

hiddenlee22
January 26th, 2015, 12:51
I need to buy some creatine for the gym... Been plateaued forever because of the lack of weights here. Also some whey protein would be nice...

bodybuilding.com (http://bodybuilding.com)

Probably cheaper to find in Japan after shipping, but I wouldn't even begin to know where to look. Plus the deals they have usually make it worth it for the extra money.

Apollo87
January 26th, 2015, 13:25
I second bodybuilding.com. Creatine and even just whey is really expensive in-store, if you can even find it. However if you don't have a Japanese credit card or don't to want deal with the hassle of paying off your credit card back home every month, then just order from Amazon.co.jp (http://www.amazon.jp) . You can usually do cash on delivery, selection is great and prices are usually as competitive as anywhere else online in Japanother than Rakuten.jp (sometimes).

webstaa
January 26th, 2015, 15:02
Most larger grocery stores (especially the chains owned by 7/11) will generally have sports supplements (including a variety of protein powders) in the drinks section. I haven't taken a closer look at what they offer (seeing as I have a high protein diet already...)

Credit card/gift card>Conbini pay>CoD. You can buy gift cards for Rakuten/Amazon at just about any major conbini as well. Plus you can schedule delivery if you pay at checkout instead of at a conbini or CoD.

Gizmotech
January 26th, 2015, 16:42
You will be surprised what fitness facilities are around you. My area is particularly lacking on weights, however the local boxing gym is pretty well equipped.

Apollo87
January 26th, 2015, 23:36
Theres a chance you just might not find a decent place to get a work out with some weights at all. Personally, my city gym used to be really useless so for about a year I had a lot of fun experimenting with bodyweight training and trying to pick up some breakdancing and gymnastics skills. Your school will probably have pull up bars on the field outside and a judo room in the gym with matts or something. Maybe you could sneak off to during free periods to get quick workouts in.

Check Reddit's Bodyweight Fitness Community (http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/) for lots of good advice and routines on how to get put on muscle, increase strength and pick up cool bodyweight skills like the human flag or bboy skills like windmills and flares without ever touching a weight. You might have to get creative but I dont think lack of facilities is a good enough excuse to let yourself go.

itsabird
January 27th, 2015, 08:53
I used to bboy and do gymnastics too! Before I dislocated my shoulder in the dumbest way... Was doing incline press, had an itch on my noise, thought it was a good idea to use my shoulder to itch it with a 60lb weight in my hand.... dumbest thing I could have done. It healed perfectly and everything, but then last weekend I accidentally pulled it doing a basic 6 step on a dirty dance floor in a club haha. I'm done with breakdancing.

My school unfortunately won't have any of that :(. They just tore it down and the old school's under construction. We're in portables pretty much. But yeah hiddenlee, you really shouldn't worry about getting a placement like mine. Mine is one of the biggest exceptions you'll ever see. And even then I still maintained most of my weight while being here by doing isometric exercises and bodyweight exercises.

azguitarist
January 27th, 2015, 11:18
Just reordered from bcaa and optimum nutrition protein from Iherb, great deals all around there, free shipping too

hiddenlee22
January 27th, 2015, 11:30
I used to bboy and do gymnastics too!

Haven't heard of too many bboys on JET (or at least here on ITIL). Nice to see some variety.

basic 6 step on a dirty dance floor in a club haha.

I applaud anyone who gets up close and personal with a club's dance floor. The shit (literally) that has probably touched that floor...your hands will never be clean...

itsabird
January 27th, 2015, 11:35
Lol. You think that's bad. My friend woke up the next morning complaining his hair felt disgusting. Apparently he got so drunk he put his head on the dance floor. Crazy nights. Crazy nights...

hiddenlee22
January 27th, 2015, 11:48
I feel dirty now.

Ini
January 27th, 2015, 12:25
if your dance floor isnt covered in broken glass then you're not going to the right clubs

itsabird
January 27th, 2015, 14:09
if your dance floor isnt covered in broken glass then you're not going to the right clubs
that same friend also found floor tiles that weren't glued down properly.... He picked them up and started dancing around the club with them. On top of that, he was awkwardly forcing all of his friends (including me) to dance with random girls and scared them away multiple times.

It was great fun.

Zolrak 22
January 27th, 2015, 14:25
On top of that, he was awkwardly forcing all of his friends (including me) to dance with random girls and scared them away multiple times.

Oh, I hate the friend who gets handsy and then tries to pin it on the rest of us. [emoji58]

hiddenlee22
January 28th, 2015, 03:14
Oh, I hate the friend who gets handsy and then tries to pin it on the rest of us. [emoji58]

I'm fond of the ol' "get handsy and if she doesn't like it say someone 'bumped' you" approach

naginataonthebrain
January 28th, 2015, 03:27
I'm fond of the ol' "get handsy and if she doesn't like it say someone 'bumped' you" approach

You know we can see through that crap, right?

Zolrak 22
January 28th, 2015, 04:01

You sure we don't know each other?

Cause you are starting to sound like my buddy from Jersey.

hiddenlee22
January 28th, 2015, 05:30
You sure we don't know each other?

Cause you are starting to sound like my buddy from Jersey.

That buddy of yours must have been one cool cat. :cool:

That or you're secretly one of the two Puerto Ricans I've ever met (oddly enough, both named carlos) and are stalking me.

Zolrak 22
January 28th, 2015, 05:45
That or you're secretly one of the two Puerto Ricans I've ever met (oddly enough, both named carlos) and are stalking me.

Stalking is a strong word. [emoji41]

hiddenlee22
January 28th, 2015, 06:02
Stalking is a strong word. [emoji41]

I'm starting to feel dirty again.

Zolrak 22
January 28th, 2015, 06:20
I'm starting to feel dirty again.
To be fair, I was here first.

So you'd be the one stalking your poor friend. [emoji14]

hiddenlee22
January 28th, 2015, 07:58
To be fair, I was here first.

So you'd be the one stalking your poor friend. [emoji14]

This is true.

I'll know for sure once we're on that plane :cool:

starfish
January 28th, 2015, 08:04

Your western expectations are the problem. Find one of those "ninja warrior" training courses!

Zolrak 22
January 28th, 2015, 08:13
Your western expectations are the problem. Find one of those "ninja warrior" training courses!
Bless your heart.

I can imagine that being a real and serious thing, but I can't stop picturing wannabe ninjas signing up for one of those classes.

At the end of the class, I imagine them getting a ninja outfit as a graduation present..... [emoji28]

sharpinthefang
January 28th, 2015, 21:19
Bless your heart.

I can imagine that being a real and serious thing, but I can't stop picturing wannabe ninjas signing up for one of those classes.

At the end of the class, I imagine them getting a ninja outfit as a graduation present..... [emoji28]
. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20135674

Zolrak 22
January 29th, 2015, 02:08
. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20135674

See?

There's still time to be the heir!

It was 3 years ago, so I don't think the Masters are gone. [emoji14]

Apollo87
January 29th, 2015, 21:31
Speaking of ninjas and slightly back on topic, for anyone interested I found an XMA/tricking/breakdancing gym in Tokyo that has open gym time on Friday nights. Previously I was going to Shinjuku Sports Centre and training on the slightly bouncy judo mats but this place has actual gymnastics plyo flooring. I've been trying to find a place like this for the past 4 years - no gymnastics gym I've ever found in Japan has open gym time.

I live two hours out of Tokyo, but its not a bad trip to make after work on fridays, so if you're in Kanto area come join if you wanna learn some flips, flying kicks, parkour, breakdancing, ninja jutsus etc.

Here's the site:
アクション教室|レンタルスタジオ|スタジオ@Bos (http://www.studio-bos.com/)

Ini
January 29th, 2015, 21:34
no no no, the only true way to learn how to dance is to stand outside a shop window and dance in front of it using the windows reflection.......

mothy
January 29th, 2015, 21:37
Jesus. I don't mind the links, but the banner seems a bit much.

Zolrak 22
January 29th, 2015, 21:41
I'm glad I can't see it then. [emoji28]

Apollo87
January 29th, 2015, 21:43
no no no, the only true way to learn how to dance is to stand outside a shop window and dance in front of it using the windows reflection.......
This isnt dancing, this is srs biznes. Life and death stuff here. Flying kicks that may or may not be useless in a real fight. Ninjas need to train in a secret ninja fortress and this is the closest equivalent near a decent train line. Come join, everyone is friendly and no one will care if you bring your naruto headband.

Ah, I can remove it if its against the rules >_>

mothy
January 29th, 2015, 21:46
I don't know about the rules, generally I pretend there are none, but I do know it's irritating. I feel like my adblock is failing me.

Jiggit
January 29th, 2015, 21:58
I don't mind it, but the image is hella low res. As far as I can tell thejetcoaster is the perfect place to go for Guidos, Blog, Veeqs, Poocasi and Gummity.

Apollo87
January 29th, 2015, 21:59
Guidos, Blog, Veeqs, Poocasi and Gummity.

Exactly

mothy
January 29th, 2015, 22:03
Dammit, if it's full of gummity I want nothing to do with it.

Jiggit
January 29th, 2015, 22:08
Ini, Apollo, Thomas Simmons. All these vets are the same. Yellow Poocasi slayers to a man.

Ini
January 29th, 2015, 22:10
Yellow Poocasi is one thing but white girls are nasty. You can ride the Jet Coaster straight to brown town

Apollo87
January 29th, 2015, 22:11

weepinbell
February 14th, 2015, 03:13
As a poor college student, I did HIIT exercises in my house a lot... I guess it depends how big your place ends up being, but it's doable. I used to do the youtube ones all the time, Cassie Ho and stuff haha - most of it is designed for smaller workout areas.

Anyone know a thing or two about the yoga scene in Japan?

naginataonthebrain
February 14th, 2015, 04:21
I have a feeling that my best bet for getting a variety of workouts is going to be through YouTube channels like BeFit.

hiddenlee22
February 14th, 2015, 05:53
As a poor college student, I did HIIT exercises in my house a lot... I guess it depends how big your place ends up being, but it's doable. I used to do the youtube ones all the time, Cassie Ho and stuff haha - most of it is designed for smaller workout areas.

Anyone know a thing or two about the yoga scene in Japan?

Hopefully room isn't an issue, but I'd be nervous with neighbors with all the noise from jumping around.

+1 on the yoga. Recently got into it myself.

Apollo87
February 15th, 2015, 19:48
If you're following along to a video, room probably won't be as much of an issue as repeatedly jumping up and down if you have downstairs neighbours.

I used to do P90X and still recommend it (second time I finished was the most ripped I've ever been, specially when if you swap out one or two of the days for lifting at the gym). There's a yoga day in there too. Hardest part is finding a pull up bar for home use, but your school should have three on the field.

Also you can get great workouts by joining your students during gym class (if your school lets you), doing laps or sprints on the field or around the school, and doing pullups on the pull-up bars before or after school, during lunch break, or even during periods you don't have class.

At the schools I've been to (JHS), the students usually run laps both in the morning and after school, and they really appreciate it when you go running with them. Great way to connect with your students while getting exercise in as well.

coop52
February 16th, 2015, 10:18
Yoga's fairly big here. A lot of gyms offer classes, and I've seen classes offered at health/beauty stores and other places as well. You can get mats and blocks and stuff at sports stores easily if you don't want any of the fancy stuff.

ander
March 3rd, 2015, 13:14
I've been placed in one of the most rural parts of Japan, with the closest free weight gym being around an hour and half's drive away. So I've decided to build a home gym in one of my spare rooms, which is coming along slowly (mainly due to financial setbacks).

Apollo87
March 5th, 2015, 00:24
get a kettlebell and an ab roller. bam, done.

Ini
March 5th, 2015, 00:26
What sort of dwarf can use a kettle bell inside a Japanese home without smashing a hole in the ceiling?

Apollo87
March 5th, 2015, 00:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcIFAgnOL9E

I guess YMMV depending on how tall you are. But still, most people could probably do most of the exercises in the video. Anyway its an option to consider, no?

mothy
March 5th, 2015, 00:40
Why do people exercise?

Zolrak 22
March 5th, 2015, 03:15
Why do people exercise?
A mutant with bear hands could never hope to understand the struggle of common folk.

ander
March 6th, 2015, 08:30
I've already got myself an ab roller, but i tend to use it as a warm up. My apartment ceiling isn't very high and I would be paranoid of dropping a kettleback (apartment complex is full of young families, all of whom their children goes to my school). I've splashed out on some power blocks (41 kg) and an incline bench, which covers most upper body muscles. Just saving up for a squat rack and a barbell set, to get some of the heavier workouts in.

Apollo87
March 10th, 2015, 11:32
I've already got myself an ab roller, but i tend to use it as a warm up. My apartment ceiling isn't very high and I would be paranoid of dropping a kettleback (apartment complex is full of young families, all of whom their children goes to my school). I've splashed out on some power blocks (41 kg) and an incline bench, which covers most upper body muscles. Just saving up for a squat rack and a barbell set, to get some of the heavier workouts in.A squat rack IN your Japanese apartment??

webstaa
March 11th, 2015, 08:15
A squat rack IN your Japanese apartment??

Depends on the size of your apartment.

Apollo87
March 11th, 2015, 12:57
Still, in a standard 6 tatami matt room, damn son I would be impressed.

I once tried to buy a squat rack from a guy on craigslist and negotiate with the city gym to keep it in the training room for everyone to use. Sadly that did not fly.

Ini
March 11th, 2015, 13:00
6 tatami mat? thats a bit of a shoebox isnt it?

uthinkimlost?
March 11th, 2015, 13:06
Enough space for a JetCoaster!

Apollo87
March 11th, 2015, 13:07
What kind of palatial accomodations have been bestowed upon thee, princes of ITIL?

Ini
March 11th, 2015, 13:13
well my last place was about 2000 square meters, dual loading bays, office space above.....

uthinkimlost?
March 11th, 2015, 13:18
Built-in kocho-sensei space heater..

Apollo87
March 11th, 2015, 13:21
ballers

Virgil
March 11th, 2015, 17:24
I have one 7 tatami and 2 5 tatami.