PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Plan

frayedflower
January 29th, 2015, 00:00
I know like the program itself, mileage may vary when it comes to lesson plans in interviews. But it isn't something that's been discussed as much as the general questions this year, so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask:

Does anyone have general tips on how they approached the lesson plan, if they were asked to provide one? Or have any stories to share? :)

starfish
January 29th, 2015, 02:25
There's no preparing for it, since they throw a random topic at you and you may or may not have any props available to work with.

Do your best. Expect it to go terribly. This is what they're setting you up for.

You probably get bonus points for pulling an Oscar-worthy performance out of your ass, but otherwise you should be given an opportunity to explain why you feel your lesson was a failure and what you'd do differently in an actual classroom. It seems to be satisfactory just the same.

Apollo87
January 29th, 2015, 08:53
Like I mention in the other interview thread, you can totally prepare for a possible 3-5 minute "demo lesson" (that's probably as long as you'll go before they stop you) by sitting down with some friends and having them throw random topics at you which you then have to act out. The more random the topic (teach me about toasters for 5 minutes. GO.), the better your improv skills will get, but I mean they'll probably ask you about something you would imagine you would teach to elementary school kids.

Oh look - I have my elementary school lesson plan right in front of me. Colours, animals, foods, greetings, seasons, weather, numbers, time, a self intro..that should get you started.

Remember, it will be really short - under 10 minutes, so don't plan this huge elaborate show. Just do a quick skit like you were on "Who's Line Is It Anyway?" and Drew Carey made you act like you were an English teacher in Japan.

Funny story, out of all the possible categories, it never occured to me to do a practice demo lesson about animals, and thats what I was asked to do. I kind of had a deer in the headlights moment for a second, then asked if I could use the board behind me. I drew 4 of the cutest animals ever and did crazy animal voices. Until I got to the giraffe, and realized I dindt know what sound a giraffe made.

I was like
"And next, this is a GIRAFFE! Do YOU know what sound a GIRAFFE makes??"
*interviewers shake their heads*
*It suddenly dawns on me that I have no idea what sound a giraffe makes*
"e-eee-eee???"

It was embarassing, it was hilarious, I laughed at myself and the interviewers laughed and loved it.

Point is, do what you can to prepare, but at the end of the day, you might get a curve ball and you might screw it up. If that happens, try to laugh at yourself and just roll with it. Like I said, if you practice, you'll kind of naturally figure out your own flow for a 3-5 minute lesson skit.

Even if you blow it completely, you can also do like Starfish said and say something like how you know you'll have times where you completely screw up a class, but you know you'll learn from every screw up and get better and better. Then just shrug and be like "Welp, that was that :P!".

And last, even if you completely blow the demo lesson and screw it up, just dont have a break down. The interviewers arent expecting something perfect.

By the way, if you still think that its impossible to prepare for, and you just have to go in there and wing it - think of your competition..A lot of people are on these boards and others like the official JET forums right now, and they all have access to the same information. Most people know what to expect of the interview, and like yourself, will know that there might be a demo lesson. Some people will practice, some people wont. Some people will naturally be able to pull awesome random improv skits out of thin air, and some people will get better if they practice. So definitely I would say do what you can to prepare and practice, and after you put in the time to figure out what you would probably do at the interview, just trust yourself and roll with it.

Zolrak 22
January 29th, 2015, 09:04
A lot of people are on these boards and others like the official JET forums right now, and they all have access to the same information.

The official JET forums are back?

Or do you mean the different Facebook groups?

Apollo87
January 29th, 2015, 09:12
Are they gone? I just kind of assumed they were still around although I didnt check.

JET Programme Forums Index page (http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/)

I'm behind a proxy and I forgot my password so I'm not sure if the forums are up, but at the bottom it lists the number of posts/threads/etc. But yeah, ITIL, various Facebook groups, same thing still applies.

uthinkimlost?
January 29th, 2015, 09:19
They're gone. Around the same time they ditched AJET. They realized that helping a bunch of unsuitable people prepare to rock the interview doesn't always lead to the best candidates.

Ini
January 29th, 2015, 09:23
Ask ThomasSimmons. Hes the man with the knowledge

webstaa
January 29th, 2015, 10:05
The teaching materials exchange forum is the only thing left. And that has one unanswered post in the last 6 months. It's dead. And hopefully will stay that way.

Penguee
January 29th, 2015, 10:32
I know like the program itself, mileage may vary when it comes to lesson plans in interviews. But it isn't something that's been discussed as much as the general questions this year, so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask:

Does anyone have general tips on how they approached the lesson plan, if they were asked to provide one? Or have any stories to share? :)

I teach now at an English conversation school and winging lessons is really a skill you need to develop. I suggest that if you're worried about it, explain it to a friend and have them throw random crap at you to teach. (Not literally.) If something doesn't work, stop and try something else. Don't feel the need to continue to plough on.
That way, you get a bit of practice dealing with the sudden request and you don't just sit there blinking for like two minutes. If you do it with your friend, I hope that they are honest enough to tell you how well (or how horrible) you did, and then you can kind of play off that if you need to.
But really, don't try to prepare that much for it, I think. Because it's worse to over-prepare and then forget everything and then panic because of that. Better to have some random ideas floating around in your head that you can grab if you need to. But I wouldn't memorize anything or write a script or anything because you would come off as rehearsed and that isn't fun for the kids or for the panel.

Gizmotech
January 29th, 2015, 11:32
Ya. There is no prep for this, wing it and hope for the best.

Don't worry abou mad screw ups either, I taught the COMPLETELY WRONG ANIMAL in mine and the interviewers only told me about it at the end :p we all had a good laugh.

Ini
January 29th, 2015, 11:37
I just performed the fan dance and it seemed to please them

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-X-E8fba28CU/Tf65mfTJ9iI/AAAAAAAAIkY/fWg3SXXJGhM/s1600/UhuraII.jpg

frayedflower
January 29th, 2015, 12:20
Thanks guys. :) Most of what you're suggesting is what I've been doing with my friends/job up until now, so it makes me feel a lot more confident going into the interview. I liked hearing some stories too -- I love how it keeps going back to animals, haha.

Penguee
January 29th, 2015, 12:22
Thanks guys. :) Most of what you're suggesting is what I've been doing with my friends/job up until now, so it makes me feel a lot more confident going into the interview. I liked hearing some stories too -- I love how it keeps going back to animals, haha.

Animals are easy because a lot of Japanese kids kind of know them already. Simple stuff is best for practice! I once watched a demo lesson where the person did the alphabet with all these American pop culture symbols. Like Japanese kids would stay interested in that for more than 5 seconds. You'd have better luck with Yokkai Watch.

toumasu
January 29th, 2015, 15:28
Ask ThomasSimmons. Hes the man with the knowledge
Can confirm. They have been closed officially for 're-evaluation' and I am doubtful they will re-emerge.

Prepare for a few of the common scenarios but don't panic if/when none of them show up on the interview. More than evaluating your teaching ability, per se, they are evaluating your ability to handle sudden, strange situations and how you communicate. If your react positively, smile and keep your cool (whether you're freaking out inside or not), you will do well.