PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Jobs in Japan after Jet.

jwkelley
January 30th, 2015, 10:15
I was wondering if any of the old older times could give any advice for looking for jobs in Japan after jet?

mothy
January 30th, 2015, 12:20
Network. Every post JET job I got I was able to get because someone recommended me.

starfish
January 30th, 2015, 12:24
What type of work?

For any field, get JLPT 2 or 1 for starters. Being certifiably bilingual is a must.

Hit up LinkedIn and find recruiters around Japan. There are many, many, many. Just be aware they aren't always friendly to ALTs (many of them being former ALTs themselves who had to settle for becoming recruiters).

uthinkimlost?
January 30th, 2015, 12:24
Network. Every post JET job I got I was able to get because someone recommended me.

Can I list you as a reference?

uthinkimlost?
January 30th, 2015, 12:26
What type of work?

For any field, get JLPT 2 or 1 for starters. Being certifiably bilingual is a must.

Hit up LinkedIn and find recruiters around Japan. There are many, many, many. Just be aware they aren't always friendly to ALTs (many of them being former ALTs themselves who had to settle for becoming recruiters).

...are you in Japan?

Ini
January 30th, 2015, 12:59
bribery and corruption works pretty well

Zolrak 22
January 30th, 2015, 13:01
bribery and corruption works pretty well
It's a good thing I know you then.

starfish
January 30th, 2015, 14:01
...are you in Japan?

No, but I know a few non-ALTs who are, and that's been the advice given to me.

jwkelley
February 3rd, 2015, 09:06
When is a good time to start looking, also what is good to have in terms of paperwork besides the usual ?

mothy
February 3rd, 2015, 09:27
I think that would depend on the type of job.

coop52
February 3rd, 2015, 11:04
Right now, most job ads would be for an April start, so maybe wait a little while. But, it wouldn't hurt to go down to your local Hello Work and tell them what kind of stuff you're looking for. The guy there I talked to was really helpful and emailed me new jobs that fit my criteria as they came up. They also helped me with my resume and cover letters.

jwkelley
February 9th, 2015, 08:27
Basically just looking for another Eikaiwa or ALT gig. Ill give hello work a shot.
I am also trying to find someone I should copy with this. Most of the people i know who got work after Jet have Japanese wives or some kind of special Japanese heritage visa.

mothy
February 9th, 2015, 08:42
Eikaiwa, there probably isn't so much of a hiring season as turnover rates seem high with them.
Direct hire ALT positions seem to get done in December and January. Dispatch companies will usually have intake information on their websites.

jwkelley
February 9th, 2015, 09:31
Cool, I have some contacts but probably should make more.

mothy
February 9th, 2015, 09:39
Yeah, be sure to put it out there that you're looking. Never know who might know of something.