PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on Borderlink and JET

AppleSauce
January 30th, 2015, 13:03
So here's my situation, I hope you can give some advice!

Back in 2014 I applied to JET and Borderlink as well, as a backup plan of sorts. Naturally, Borderlink got back to me fairly quickly and gave me two skype interviews which I passed. (Whoopee.) Now, I've accepted their offer as it had a time limit, and I'm now waiting on a CoE to arrive from Japan. Meanwhile, JET has informed me that I've passed their first stage and I now have an interview for early February.

The reason I applied to both of these was with some of the information I had read on this forum and others like it; that JET didn't particularly care if I had applied to Borderlink or not. However, I'm having some second thoughts regarding some specifics. The main issues are the CoE/Visa and the timeline for the two separate application and training processes.

1. If I end up passing my JET interview, and the results are only sent out by March (as they've said), I may already have already left for Borderlink to be in time for training. (March 16th.) Would the CoE still be okay, what about my visa? Could I arrive in Japan, and then cancel on Borderlink?

2. Why does JET care about boarding a specific flight, if I'm already in Japan on my own expenses? Would I have to leave Japan and return to my home country to board the flight? Seems a bit strange, but this is what's written in their guidelines.

3. Should I talk to Borderlink and just pull out before I go over and risk failing to pass JET's interview?

I realise this post covers both JET and non-jet but I thought I'd put it here regardless. Kind Regards.

miamicoordinator
January 30th, 2015, 13:16
So here's my situation, I hope you can give some advice!

Back in 2014 I applied to JET and Borderlink as well, as a backup plan of sorts. Naturally, Borderlink got back to me fairly quickly and gave me two skype interviews which I passed. (Whoopee.) Now, I've accepted their offer as it had a time limit, and I'm now waiting on a CoE to arrive from Japan. Meanwhile, JET has informed me that I've passed their first stage and I now have an interview for early February.

The reason I applied to both of these was with some of the information I had read on this forum and others like it; that JET didn't particularly care if I had applied to Borderlink or not. However, I'm having some second thoughts regarding some specifics. The main issues are the CoE/Visa and the timeline for the two separate application and training processes.

1. If I end up passing my JET interview, and the results are only sent out by March (as they've said), I may already have already left for Borderlink to be in time for training. (March 16th.) Would the CoE still be okay, what about my visa? Could I arrive in Japan, and then cancel on Borderlink?

2. Why does JET care about boarding a specific flight, if I'm already in Japan on my own expenses? Would I have to leave Japan and return to my home country to board the flight? Seems a bit strange, but this is what's written in their guidelines.

3. Should I talk to Borderlink and just pull out before I go over and risk failing to pass JET's interview?

I realise this post covers both JET and non-jet but I thought I'd put it here regardless. Kind Regards.
1. This was answered in the other coe thread.

2. If you are already in japan working for another company then you can just meet up with the rest of the people at tokyo orientation. Of course, jet will not reinburse any travel expenses if you are already in japan. They only will pay for the flight there and back. Travel expenses from tokyo orientation to your prefecture will be covered at least.

3. It is impossible for any of us to really give you advice on this. No one knows if you will pass your jet interview or not. You at least have a solid job offer from borderlink. If you drop out of border, and dont pass jet, then you are out of luck for both jobs.

AppleSauce
January 30th, 2015, 13:27
Thanks miami!

I'm guessing you're referring to this thread? http://www.ithinkimlost.com/threads/20094-Certificate-of-Eligibility-Concerns?highlight=certificate

Wasn't sure if my situation was the same, given I've already accepted Borderlink's offer.

I find it a little strange that they specify: "Participants must arrive in Japan on the designated date and flight except in unavoidable situations such as on humanitariangrounds. Participants who do not board the designated flight will be disqualified from the Programme." But you say otherwise?

Ini
January 30th, 2015, 13:41
Go with borderlink, if you are accepted for JET then quit Borderlink at the end of the 1st term towards the end of July and join up with JET at Tokyo Orientation in August.

AppleSauce
January 30th, 2015, 14:10
Go with borderlink, if you are accepted for JET then quit Borderlink at the end of the 1st term towards the end of July and join up with JET at Tokyo Orientation in August.

Thanks Ini, I just got off the phone with my national jet coordinator and found that most applicants get into the june/july departure not the april like I had erroneously assumed.

Therefore I'll go ahead with your suggestion.

Thanks everyone! Put my mind at ease.

SupremeGentleman
February 7th, 2015, 14:30
I imagine its a strange feeling working for Borderlink. Im sure that everyone that applies to that company and everyone working there already know the terrible reputation they have. Once you get that reputation and its spreads online, its impossible to extinguish. You are working every day knowing 100% certain that there are way better opportunities out there. Kind of a draining environment to be in, to be honest. Well, on the bright side, at least you get a visa out of it.

AppleSauce
March 30th, 2015, 12:56
Alright I'm going to necro this month old thread and provide an update!

I'm now in Japan with Borderlink. Training has finished, and it was okay I suppose. I'm not exactly excited about working for Borderink and my area is boring but hey, not the worst.

However, today of all times, I received an email from JET indicating I had passed the interview round and am now on the shortlist. Woohoo!

Now to: leave my apartment ($$), go back home OR stick in Japan and try to live cheaply somehow. Not sure how that's going to work. I have a number of issues to sort out, but I think I will jump ship!

Thought I would provide an update in any case.

Thanks again!

Ananasboat
March 30th, 2015, 12:59
Congrats!

johnny
March 30th, 2015, 13:52
In general, I would go for whichever option pays better, which is usually going to be JET. The only risk now is that you get an itsabird level inaka placement, but there's always risk.

AppleSauce
April 3rd, 2015, 09:52

I've been wondering, if I do this, is this a big dick move? Or will they be able to replace me at this time of year?

I mean I'm going to do it anyway, more likely than not.

Should also add I technically haven't signed my full contract, which is dodgy as hell in my opinion.

Ini
April 3rd, 2015, 10:46
borderlink can replace anyone within 1-2 weeks. Borderlink are a dodgy company, as are all the dispatch companies. dont lose any sleep over quitting as if they ever needed to they would fire you without a second thought.

AppleSauce
April 3rd, 2015, 11:54
Thanks Ini!