PDA

View Full Version : UK/Japanese kids and dual citizenship

Beer Baron
February 3rd, 2015, 07:06
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to go about registering a half British / half Japanese kid for dual citizenship?

From what I remember years ago, there's a limited timeframe in which to do this.

(and yes, we're expecting our first kid in July) :)

Cheers

Zolrak 22
February 3rd, 2015, 07:13
Congratulations! :^_^:

Boy or girl?

(Sorry, can't help on the question itself though :p)

Beer Baron
February 3rd, 2015, 07:15
Not sure yet! We will do a gender scan a bit later on. Northern Ireland is a bit of a mess when it comes to knowing the gender - the NHS refuses to tell you the gender, so we need to go private to get it done.

Zolrak 22
February 3rd, 2015, 07:22
Then which are you secretly hoping for?

I'm sure you'll love them just the same, but I'm curious. [emoji6]

Beer Baron
February 3rd, 2015, 07:23
To be honest, I don't really care that much, but we're finding it easier to choose a girl's name. Boy's names are proving to be a major argument :D

Zolrak 22
February 3rd, 2015, 07:33
Baron Jr. Isn't working for the better half? [emoji14]

Beer Baron
February 3rd, 2015, 07:37
Sensible names were even shot down within seconds!

Ini
February 3rd, 2015, 08:25
Where is she dropping anchor? If the kid is born in the UK then just register it there as normal for british citizenship. For Japanese citizenship you'll have 3 months to register it either at the japanese embassy or at the town hall in Japan where your good lady wifes family register is. You'll need a registration form, copy of birth certificate + j-go translation, a copy of the family register and some ID. Probably best to just call the J-embassy and say "Its cute halfu time, bitches!" and see what their response is.

Beer Baron
February 3rd, 2015, 18:33
cheers Ini, very useful.

johnny
February 3rd, 2015, 22:38
Congratulations. As for Ini, it's scary that you know all that stuff.

Zolrak 22
February 3rd, 2015, 22:41
Congratulations. As for Ini, it's scary that you know all that stuff.
One can only assume there's mini Inis running around in this world. [emoji28]

Beer Baron
February 3rd, 2015, 22:41
One can only assume there's mini Inis running around in this world. [emoji28]

:-o

johnny
February 4th, 2015, 08:59
:-o

Seconded.

mteacher80
February 4th, 2015, 10:15
Congrats to you and your small-yuki!

uthinkimlost?
February 4th, 2015, 10:19
Look out guys, it is a ghost!

Vancouver3
February 11th, 2016, 19:24
Im half British, half Polish too.

word
February 12th, 2016, 19:44
That's nice.

ai_za_onigiri
June 9th, 2016, 09:08
Congrats!

Last I heard, Japan doesn't do dual-citizenship though. Maybe it's different for cute hafu children? But from what I studied, someone would have to relinquish their other citizenship (British) to get full Japanese citizenship. I take it this doesn't apply to hafu, because no one else has mentioned it...? :102:

Beer Baron
June 9th, 2016, 13:37
Oh wow I never updated this thread. So we have a lovely boy, and we finally agreed on a name.
The wife filled in a form or two and from what I understand he has to choose at the age of 21 whether he wants to be British or Japanese. I don't know the full ins and outs of it but she appears to know what's going on.

edit: here's the link about choosing nationality The Choice of Nationality (http://www.moj.go.jp/ENGLISH/information/tcon-01.html)

Vancouver3
June 9th, 2016, 14:02
No one in the world would be foolish enough to surrender one's British citizenship in exchange for a Japanese nationality. I am sure that if one were to even offer the 100 million Japanese the golden opportunity to become a full British citizen in exchange for the surrender of their Japanese nationality if they would just be allowed to keep working in Japan under a nikkeijin visa, I think almost everyone would be smart enough to take up on the offer. So for the kids to wonder which one they should choose is very straight forward.

Zolrak 22
June 9th, 2016, 14:36
No one in the world would be foolish enough to surrender one's British citizenship in exchange for a Japanese nationality.

I can see someone who's lived all their life in Japan wanting to stay there.

So it's really all about perspective.

mothy
June 9th, 2016, 14:38
I don't know how strict the UK is about it, but Japan and the US doesn't seem to be. And when I registered mini-mothy at the US embassy they told me that even if japan says he has to and he chooses Japan, the US will still consider him a US citizen.

No one in the world would be foolish enough to surrender one's British citizenship in exchange for a Japanese nationality.

Either you're trolling or don't know any Japanese people.

Jiggit
June 9th, 2016, 14:40
No one in the world would be foolish enough to surrender one's British citizenship in exchange for a Japanese nationality. I am sure that if one were to even offer the 100 million Japanese the golden opportunity to become a full British citizen in exchange for the surrender of their Japanese nationality if they would just be allowed to keep working in Japan under a nikkeijin visa, I think almost everyone would be smart enough to take up on the offer. So for the kids to wonder which one they should choose is very straight forward.

U wot m8?

Frap
June 9th, 2016, 14:46
Either you're trolling or don't know any Japanese people.

ikr lol

acpc2203
June 9th, 2016, 14:48
Yeah I have a few friends who still have dual US/Japan citizenship well past 21. They just can't do stuff like JET without giving up the Japanese part.

mothy
June 9th, 2016, 14:56
Well if that's the case, I'll just make mini-mothy give it up now. He's gotta follow in his old man's footsteps.

Jiggit
June 9th, 2016, 15:04
Isn't it the case that if you ever have to "give up" US citizenship while living in another country then the US govt will basically ignore that? Or is that one of them "urban legends"?

acpc2203
June 9th, 2016, 15:05
Yeah I do think the US is pretty forgiving in terms of giving you back citizenship provided you didn't go off and live in ISIS or North Korea

mothy
June 9th, 2016, 15:18
Isn't it the case that if you ever have to "give up" US citizenship while living in another country then the US govt will basically ignore that? Or is that one of them "urban legends"?

Based off the comments of the lady at the embassy, that does seem to be the case.

bloodr0se
October 20th, 2016, 23:48

Why? UK citizenship isn't anything all that special and after the country has left the EU I don't really know what it would offer over a Japanese passport.

In fact Japanese passports can get you visa free access to a lot of countries that enforce visa restrictions on British citizens for various reasons.