PDA

View Full Version : car questions!

coop52
February 4th, 2015, 15:06
1. I'm selling my car. It's a 10-11 year old Daihatsu Move. Shaken's due in May, but the car itself is in good condition. The winter tires are good, but the regular ones will probably need to be replaced this year. How much do you think it's worth? Or is it even worth trying to sell?

2. How long does it take to do all the paperwork to sell a car? What about cancelling insurance?

word
February 4th, 2015, 15:50
1. Eh, I wouldn't buy it but you might be able to get a little from someone. And I do mean a little. With the shakken due it's probably essentially worthless.

2. If you've got all the forms, you can do it very quickly. You'll need the car's docs, plus the hanko-papers of both parties, if I recall rightly. Handle it all at your prefectural licensing center. You can drop all the paperwork off at a dealership and they'll do it for you for a fee.

Whatever you do, just don't leave Japan without making sure ownership of the car has been transferred.

Ini
February 4th, 2015, 15:55
mileage? spec? (is it the 4wd turbo or the base model 2wd?)

with practically no shaken, 1 set of good tyres and 1 set of shagged tyres I'd say anywhere from 1 man to 70man depending on spec and condition.

If its a desirable model - custom RS turbo - then try and sell it. If its a base model 660L or something with 120k on the clock then just give it to someone on the condition they pay for the transfer of ownership and handle all the paperwork.

paperwork will take an afternoon at the local registration centre. If you sell it to someone privately it depends on how quickly they get their shit together. If you sell it to a dealer then they will probably just make you hanko something then take it off your hands the same day. Cancelling insurance just involves phoning up your insurance company and saying I dont want to be insured anymore from -insert date here- onwards

coop52
February 4th, 2015, 16:24
It's whatever custom. It has 4WD. The mileage is a little less than 18k. I actually got an offer for 5 man for it the other day and was wondering if that was fair. I kind of wanted a little more, but if it's a hassle/worth less, I'll take that.

Ini
February 4th, 2015, 16:28
18k???18000km? then its like new and worth more than 5 man. 18万km - 180000km? then its worthless and you should take the 5man.

BifCarbet
February 5th, 2015, 00:02
1. I'm selling my car. It's a 10-11 year old Daihatsu Move. Shaken's due in May, but the car itself is in good condition. The winter tires are good, but the regular ones will probably need to be replaced this year. How much do you think it's worth? Or is it even worth trying to sell?

2. How long does it take to do all the paperwork to sell a car? What about cancelling insurance?

Selling a car is NOT difficult at all. If you sell it to another JET, you can usually feel good about charging half of what you paid for it. If you live in the countryside where cars are necessary, you can get 10-20 man and not feel bad at all.

The process of transferring ownership is VERY easy, and a car dealer will take care of it for you for like 5000 yen, or for free if you do the shaken there. I have gone through this twice.

If you have a successor, you can give them a discount on the car to have them pay your last bills if they like that idea.

Ini
February 5th, 2015, 08:53
20man for a car we still dont know the model and spec off? You cant just ask "how much is my car worth, it has 4 wheels and an engine of some description" an expect an accurate answer.

BifCarbet
February 5th, 2015, 08:54
20man for a car we still dont know the model and spec off? You cant just ask "how much is my car worth, it has 4 wheels and an engine of some description" an expect an accurate answer.

Wasn't it a 10-ish-year-old Daihastu Move?

Ini
February 5th, 2015, 08:58
yes, but not all 10 year old daihatsu moves are created equally. A 20 year old nissan skyline could go for 10man or for 900man depending on the specific model and spec.

BifCarbet
February 5th, 2015, 09:01
yes, but not all 10 year old daihatsu moves are created equally. A 20 year old nissan skyline could go for 10man or for 900man depending on the specific model and spec.

Just saying we do know the model and age. That said, you're right; so I'll say "half of what you paid for it" is probably a more appropriate guess.

Jiggit
February 5th, 2015, 09:12
Listen, Ini. Stop spouting off all your meaningless techno-babble. If we can blag the car off to some equally clueless noob for half the original cost, won't we all be happy?

BeckyJones
February 6th, 2015, 09:11
without more information 5man is what you should get out of it. with the shakken up, most places and people won't take it for much.

BifCarbet
February 6th, 2015, 10:47
without more information 5man is what you should get out of it. with the shakken up, most places and people won't take it for much.

New ALTs might.

word
February 6th, 2015, 12:06
New ALTs might.
Yeah, but that's mean. I think ALTs everywhere would be better off if we could end the tradition of duping our successors into paying too much for a shitty fifteen-year-old kei car with twenty-five billion km on the clock.

BifCarbet
February 6th, 2015, 12:13
Is that really a thing? I had good experiences with this. Also 250,000-300,000 yen for a couple years of having a car is a steal if you ask me. I'd be bummed if JETs were intentionally ripping of their successors.

word
February 6th, 2015, 12:22
Is that really a thing?Not all that common, but it happens.

Also 250,000-300,000 yen for a couple years of having a car is a steal if you ask me.Depends on the car. The aforementioned shitty fifteen-year-old kei car with twenty-five billion km on the clock? Yeah, no.

I'd be bummed if JETs were intentionally ripping of their successors.Then don't read the archives of this site, because you'll get bummed. CLAIR has various ways of screening candidates for JET, but avoiding candidates who fail at "being a decent human being" clearly isn't one that they can manage with 100% success.

mrcharisma
February 6th, 2015, 12:52
Been looking forward to getting started on the grasping mentality of JETs again, it's been at least 4 months since I've had my fix.

In car terms it's fairly common for JETs to punt old shagheaps on for whatever they paid for it. Down my way an old wreck that had lived through the best days of the Spice Girls went for 25 man twice, two years apart. Young, naive Sailor Moon fetishists don't tend to play hardball at the bargaining table.

Jiggit
February 6th, 2015, 12:59
In car terms it's fairly common for JETs to punt old shagheaps

Even not in car terms, hiyoooo!

johnny
February 8th, 2015, 19:51
Shagheaps instead of shitheaps. My mind is blown! Internationalization is happening right here on ITIL.