PDA

View Full Version : CIR Interview 2015

BifCarbet
February 5th, 2015, 02:07
Are there any other CIR applicants here? I had my interview yesterday in Los Angeles, and I'd like to hear some thoughts from others who interviewed, or who will soon.

Penguee
February 5th, 2015, 10:07
AyaReiko and I are on the other thread, but hey there again!

BifCarbet
February 5th, 2015, 10:11
Hey again!
I was hoping that if I put "CIR" in the title of the thread, some people might squirm out of the woodwork or create a username and start posting.
I use the cirhomepage.org threads too. Very helpful.

AyaReiko
February 5th, 2015, 14:45
Oh yeah, what are the forums over there like?

I haven't had my interview yet. How was yours?

BifCarbet
February 5th, 2015, 14:50
Good forums. Over there, it's more business-like, I guess. At least from what I've seen.
There are TONS of active forums, so it's useful and entertaining.

When is your interview? Also where?
Mine went pretty well, but I was concerned about the reading part.

AyaReiko
February 5th, 2015, 14:55
For some reason I always thought it was for people who are already CIRs...

It's this weekend in Ottawa. This is my second time interviewing, so I kind of know what to expect, but I'm still studying a little bit. Like I said in the other thread, your description of the reading part is pretty much exactly what I had last year, so I wouldn't worry about it. I was really surprised at how easy it was, but I ended up messing up on my kanji a little bit. I've been trying to read more this year, but I guess it'll depend on what the text is about. What was yours about?

BifCarbet
February 5th, 2015, 15:03
deleted this post

Ercasse
February 5th, 2015, 15:09
For some reason I always thought it was for people who are already CIRs...

Naw man, potentials are encouraged to sign up there if they like :)

AyaReiko
February 5th, 2015, 15:10
Naw man, potentials are encouraged to sign up there if they like :)

Oh, good to know. Thanks!

chochang_hogwarts
March 22nd, 2015, 07:22
Hi,

I applied for a CIR position!

AyaReiko
March 23rd, 2015, 13:12
Cool, welcome!!
How did your interview go?

chochang_hogwarts
March 23rd, 2015, 13:44
I had my interview at the consulate in Sydney. Went for roughly an hour but it was okay :)
How was yours?

AyaReiko
March 24th, 2015, 11:15
I think okay too, but I really don't know. It lasted an hour too because they asked me some of the ALT questions and had me do their Japanese test. I guess I'll see in a week or two, but I don't feel as confident as last year (partly because I didn't get in last year! CIR is kind of brutal like that: there were only 3 in all of Canada in 2014!)

chochang_hogwarts
March 24th, 2015, 11:18
Oh gosh... That sounds tough ! I'm scared now. . haha

AyaReiko
March 24th, 2015, 11:21
Sorry, haha! There may be more CIR requests for Australians, you never know!
I was actually on the waiting list, so it didn't go too bad last, but this year was very different, so I have no idea. I have to admit that I've been afraid to read my email recently, hahaha!

chochang_hogwarts
March 24th, 2015, 11:23
I heard there was only 9 last year.. But that's not a lot compared to the ALTs that went. Do you mind if I ask what degree you did in university? :)
I did my masters in Japanese translation!

AyaReiko
March 24th, 2015, 13:22
Yeah, it makes it stressful! Did you apply for ALT too?
Cool! I have a bachelor's in translation, except English to French. I also have one in art.

chochang_hogwarts
March 25th, 2015, 04:08
Oh that's cool!
I ticked for ALT as well, just in case. How did you find the Japanese section of the interview?

AyaReiko
March 25th, 2015, 12:20
I thought it was alright, pretty similar to last year. They told me they would grade me on my reading skills (speed, enunciation, etc.) as well, so that was interesting to know (although not surprising at all!) I thought it was kind of funny that they had me do the ALT portion as well, but oh well. My CIR text was about the validity of newspaper as a media, and the conversation that ensued was very interesting (and long).
That being said, I took a break from my Japanese for a few years and I think it really shows in things like my vocabulary. I couldn't think of the word for "radicalize", so I ended up using ISIS in a sentence. That might have been yarisugi, hahaha.
How about you? Was it what you expected? Did you get the newspaper text as well?

chochang_hogwarts
March 25th, 2015, 12:28
I had the same article as well! I couldn't hear the questions very well because my examiner kept mumbling, so I felt bad asking for clarification more than once. What was the ALT section like? I heard it is a little easier than the CIR section?

I was so worried about the reading section, because everyone said it would be tough. It was easier than expected, but fingers crossed! It'll be so awesome if we can go!

AyaReiko
March 25th, 2015, 12:38
Oh weird! I think you're the third one here to say they got it! The questions weren't too hard, I think, but my interviewers pressed me a lot (on all the questions actually, not just the Japanese ones). I hope they didn't think you needed to hear the questions again because you didn't understand them!

Compared to the CIR text, the ALT one is kind of a cake walk. They tart by giving you these pictures and ask you questions to describe them. Then they ask you questions that get harder and harder, but without the visual support. For example, they asked me if I preferred to travel to warmer or colder countries, and then they asked me what I thought about the global trend of wasting food in developed countries!

I think the reading section can be tough if you're not prepared. Last year I messed up on two of the kanji. I think that they're right when they say it's N2.

chochang_hogwarts
March 25th, 2015, 12:50
Oh really? They must've pre selected texts then!

It's been a while now (lol), buy I do remember the interviewers a lot of questions regarding the article. It was definitely N2 level though.
I'm hoping results will come out soon....it's so nerve wrecking to wait for it to come!

AyaReiko
March 26th, 2015, 12:06
Yes, I think so, although I didn't think they used the same ones all over the world! I guess that,s why many countries have a confidence agreement about test contents.

If it's anything like last year, I think results will come in next week... That proximity makes me extra nervous!

chochang_hogwarts
March 26th, 2015, 12:44
That's right! Australia received the notification in the first week of April. It's only a few days away if the schedule is the same for this year.

AyaReiko
March 26th, 2015, 12:54
I imagine it is. I think all countries get their replies at the same time, too.
The interviews were earlier this year to give them more time to think about it, so I don't think replies will be earlier.

chochang_hogwarts
March 26th, 2015, 19:02
Not long from now then!

Penguee
March 26th, 2015, 23:24
My reading was completely different. Based on my location it could be that they selected it themselves. My topic was more about community and being involved.

AyaReiko
March 27th, 2015, 09:25
I think that they have a selected of maybe 3 to 5 texts to choose from and they select one based on either random or some sort of order.

chochang_hogwarts
March 27th, 2015, 11:42
The wait is too hard to handle!

taysukidesu
March 27th, 2015, 12:49
Sorry to just butt in, but did he mean CIRs, Australia, or everybody? That's such a long wait, even after getting this far...

chochang_hogwarts
March 27th, 2015, 12:51
:(

chochang_hogwarts
March 27th, 2015, 12:51
This is for Sydney though, I'm not sure about other states in Aus or other countries abroad!

taysukidesu
March 27th, 2015, 12:58
I just assumed all countries would find out around the same time?

Obviously he's pulling our leg to try and give us a surprise, haha.

chochang_hogwarts
March 27th, 2015, 12:59
Yeah I think everyone may have to wait until late April or early May..

taysukidesu
March 27th, 2015, 13:12
*crawls slowly into the abyss*

Moso
March 27th, 2015, 14:24
Whaaat that's so late this year! I found out 5th of April last year D:

chochang_hogwarts
March 27th, 2015, 14:27
Oh wow! That is pretty early!

Moso
March 27th, 2015, 14:40
And Americans found out like a week earlier.. Wonder what happened this year.

chochang_hogwarts
March 27th, 2015, 14:42
I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you currently on JET ? ☺

Moso
March 27th, 2015, 14:50
Yes I'm a CIR

chochang_hogwarts
March 27th, 2015, 14:52
Oh that's so awesome! I think everyone in this forum here is praying for good news for CIR. Where are you located ?

Moso
March 27th, 2015, 14:54
I'm in Shimane! :)

chochang_hogwarts
March 27th, 2015, 15:04
How are you finding your CIR experience so far?