PDA

View Full Version : Turning down Interac's first offer

pinkprincess89
February 6th, 2015, 20:24
Hey everyone I'm currently waiting to be placed by Interac and I've been looking on the Facebook groups and it seems a fair few people have turned their initial offer down.
I was wondering if anyone in previous years, turned down their first offer and could say what their subsequent placement was like.

Gizmotech
February 7th, 2015, 12:50
I've never heard of anyone getting a second chance.

sharpinthefang
February 7th, 2015, 14:07
Hey everyone I'm currently waiting to be placed by Interac and I've been looking on the Facebook groups and it seems a fair few people have turned their initial offer down.
I was wondering if anyone in previous years, turned down their first offer and could say what their subsequent placement was like.
Where have you been seeing that? I'm on there and not seen it once.

ALTInsiderFY
February 7th, 2015, 15:55
Where have you been seeing that? I'm on there and not seen it once.

Me too. Got a link?

sharpinthefang
February 7th, 2015, 20:17
Speaking of, one of my many bosses just put this up on fb.

Hahah, stupid lying git.

pinkprincess89
February 8th, 2015, 19:21
Oh it's not on 'interac members' there's a separate 'interac spring 2015 group' and we made a separate group chat. It seems a few of them have turned down Hokkaido and want to be on the mainland. I don't work well in the cold but I'm thinking if I get Hokkaido I'd take it, rather than risking it. The people who have turned it down said intertac were very nice and understanding about it though. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with turning their offer down and if they ended up as an alternate/didn't go at all.

pinkprincess89
February 8th, 2015, 19:21
Also Hokkaido looks beautiful!

BifCarbet
February 9th, 2015, 01:52
Interac, is more open to this kind of thing. You probably have to pay your dues in a less-desirable placement, but I don't think they typically show you one place and say, "You don't like? F*#% you, then," like JET does.
Interacs I've known definitely move around more than JETs, so even if you get somewhere you don't want, you could probably throw a few months at them and move. I don't have any insight about declining a placement and getting another, though.

Hokkaido IS beautiful. Great scenery. Vast open lands. Especially if you like driving, Hokkaido is heaven.

pinkprincess89
February 9th, 2015, 02:15
Oh I didn't know you could move part way through the year! It would have to be pretty bad for me to move, I think with this job you need to keep an open mind.
Yeah every time someone turns it down I end up researching it and liking it more!
Also does anyone know how likely it is if you stay on another year, and request a popular area (eg. Kansai), you'll get it. They said to us that they give current employees first pick, is this true?

BifCarbet
February 9th, 2015, 03:02
You earn the right to move into better placements. Of course, they can only move people into openings, so if you want Osaka, Kobe, or Kyoto, you might get Mie, or something, which would be pretty cool.

Note: I'm talking about Interac, not JET, to be clear.

Risingfromashes
February 9th, 2015, 07:01
pinkprincess89, I spoke with a few people who have turned down their placements. They said they were told that would get moved to the bottom of the stack and would be offered another placement in 7-10 days. Not sure how that will actually turn out, but that is what they were told. Also, I saw that the staff mentioned that people were turning down some placements in a facebook post. It's on the Recruitment page and not the members page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/interacamerica/ (https://www.facebook.com/groups/interacamerica/).

In the previous placement threads on this forum as well there were a few people that mentioned declining placements and being issued a new one, so I'm thinking that it's discouraged, but that it does happen.

ALTInsiderFY
February 9th, 2015, 08:46
Agree with the other poster, if you have a place you want to go to that badly, you'll pay your dues by being an Awesome ALT in a "non-ideal" place for 6 months or a year to build up the right to request to move closer to where you want. That is a good point of Interac. Much more moveable than JET.
Good luck!

BifCarbet
February 9th, 2015, 09:26
Also, you might fall in love with your "non-ideal" placement. It happens a lot.

ALTInsiderFY
February 9th, 2015, 10:39
Also, you might fall in love with your "non-ideal" placement. It happens a lot.

Happened to me.

Zolrak 22
February 9th, 2015, 11:05
Happened to me.
Give us the scoop.

You are always trading information, but rarely talk about yourself. [emoji14]

ALTInsiderFY
February 9th, 2015, 13:14
Fair point Zolrak.

I usually leave out bio stuff since it usually doesn't add to the convo, but since you asked....

I dreamed of living in Fukuoka city since it seemed like the most modern city in the world to my never-been-to-Japan eyes.

I got placed elsewhere, and was pissed and considered waiting for another chance to live where I wanted to. I ended up going with the attitude of, "lf it sucks I leave."

7 years later after many chances to relocate I'm still here. I do regret not doing that and very much recommend that long term ALTs take the chance to relocate once if given the chance. If helps avoid, or at least delay, becoming a bitter gaijin.

Now I'm married with first kid on the way, so not sure how many more years I'll be in this "non-ideal" placement I got all those years ago.

How about you Zolrak?

mothy
February 9th, 2015, 14:26
That sounds painfully familiar.

ALTInsiderFY
February 9th, 2015, 15:09
I think not relocating for a long period of time is a product of not knowing anything when you first get to Japan and having to "build up" friends, activities, basically another social life. It's not easy, so when you finally get that sort of figured out, the idea of doing that again, even in a city you really wanted to live in initially, doesn't sound very appealing.

But I regret not doing it. Not doing something just because it's out of your comfort zone is the fast track to hating yourself or your surroundings. At least it was for me.

Luckily I shook it, but it took having the same talk at about 50 gaijin bars with 50 different people about how Japan wasn't all we hoped it would be until I realized it wasn't Japan's fault, it was mine.

mothy
February 9th, 2015, 15:13
Nah, it's Japan's fault too.

itsabird
February 9th, 2015, 15:46
Nah, it's Japan's fault too.
I agree with moths. It's completely Japan's fault..... Who am I kidding, I've never even been to Japan some would say.

Ini
February 9th, 2015, 15:48
hanging out in gaijin bars was probably your first mistake

Jiggit
February 9th, 2015, 15:49
Either way, the trick is never to hope.

Gizmotech
February 9th, 2015, 16:00
Dreams are for the weak, the single, and the perverts. For everyone else, there's booze and life.

Jiggit
February 9th, 2015, 16:02
Dreams are for the weak, the single, and the perverts.

How dare you, I don't have any dreams.

Ini
February 9th, 2015, 16:02
Going to Saitama is the fast track to hating yourself or your surroundings.

agreed

uthinkimlost?
February 9th, 2015, 16:04
How dare you, I don't have any dreams.

Yes, you do. -and they all involve the lowering of the age of consent.

Gizmotech
February 9th, 2015, 16:16
Yes, you do. -and they all involve the lowering of the age of consent.

High Five! :023:

Zolrak 22
February 9th, 2015, 19:24
How about you Zolrak?

I'm a man with broken hopes and dreams before even getting to Japan.

We'll see how that goes in a few months.[emoji14]

(Should I, against all odds and negativity end up in the JET Program)

ALTInsiderFY
February 9th, 2015, 20:30
haha. good luck to you zolrak.

Edit: (the forum didn't pick up the start time thing. So start at 1:00 for best results)

http://youtu.be/evulSHAZxvM?t=1m10s

pinkprincess89
February 10th, 2015, 02:56
That's interesting! I just got my placement this morning, not where I 'requested' but actually it looks perfect! It's in North Okayama so I'm sure I'll be very happy for at least a year!

PuddingHead
February 10th, 2015, 03:28
That's interesting! I just got my placement this morning, not where I 'requested' but actually it looks perfect! It's in North Okayama so I'm sure I'll be very happy for at least a year!

Okayama's actually where I'm hoping to get. All the people I know there are really happy with their placement, and I guess it has a pretty strong ALT community. I'm sure it'll do for a year. Congrats!

Zolrak 22
February 10th, 2015, 03:45
Okayama's actually where I'm hoping to get. All the people I know there are really happy with their placement, and I guess it has a pretty strong ALT community. I'm sure it'll do for a year. Congrats!

Give us a sales pitch for the place [emoji14]?

PuddingHead
February 10th, 2015, 04:05
Give us a sales pitch for the place?

"Okayama: You're in the sticks, but at least everyone's happy about it."

Am I selling it for you?

Zolrak 22
February 10th, 2015, 04:07
"Okayama: You're in the sticks, but at least everyone's happy about it."

Am I selling it for you?
Your friend had a better one. [emoji6]

PuddingHead
February 10th, 2015, 04:14
Your friend had a better one.

"If I don't go back, I'll die"?

Zolrak 22
February 10th, 2015, 07:10
"If I don't go back, I'll die"?
No, it was something about the coolness of the place, it's education system and how despite being in the middle of nowhere it was one of the best experiences they've ever had?

Something like that.

See ? You gotta go for gold, reach for the stars! [emoji14]

ALTInsiderFY
February 10th, 2015, 08:53
Good Luck in Okayama PinkPrincess. I'm sure its cool. Most places end up in between our worst and best expectations don't they? Have a good time.

pinkprincess89
February 10th, 2015, 10:20
Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll make the best out of whatever situation i'm in, I mean what's the worst that can happen right???......haha

Ini
February 10th, 2015, 10:30
Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll make the best out of whatever situation i'm in, I mean what's the worst that can happen right???......haha

Murdered Briton found buried in bath of sand - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1546928/Murdered-Briton-found-buried-in-bath-of-sand.html)

BifCarbet
February 10th, 2015, 10:59
Murdered Briton found buried in bath of sand - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1546928/Murdered-Briton-found-buried-in-bath-of-sand.html)

Her dad is my hero. Dude moved to Japan and learned Japanese to hunt that kid down.

greyjoy
February 10th, 2015, 15:40
Okayama is a decent sized city with plenty of stuff and is directly on the Shinkansen line. I suppose you could end up in the ass end of the prefecture, but it's not a terrible placement.

antilles43
February 19th, 2015, 20:43
i just turned down an offer from Interac. It did not meet my high priority request for in the city (being in the middle of nowhere). I have heard on here that i will now get a worse assignment. What can i do if i don't accept that and want to hold out for a city assignment? will they put me to work in their tokyo office? My fiancee is living in Tokyo so its essential I get a job there, as she will not move due to family ties.
If they keep trying to put me elsewhere and i cant accept what happens?
Thanks very much!

Antonath
February 19th, 2015, 22:43
If you keep turning down offers, they will stop making them and turn you down. If you told them you need Tokyo and they didn't offer it to you with their first offer, it's unlikely their second or third will be Tokyo either.

MikeCarter
February 20th, 2015, 03:58
i just turned down an offer from Interac. It did not meet my high priority request for in the city (being in the middle of nowhere). I have heard on here that i will now get a worse assignment. What can i do if i don't accept that and want to hold out for a city assignment? will they put me to work in their tokyo office? My fiancee is living in Tokyo so its essential I get a job there, as she will not move due to family ties.
Thanks very much!

Odds are far higher they'll simply say you can't be accommodated, but I suppose there's always the chance if you're really wanted by them.

Your fiance seems rather inflexible though, which I don't think is a good sign. Wanting to be near her family is fine, refusing to be anywhere but near her family is sort of a red flag.

BeckyJones
February 20th, 2015, 08:23
Thanks very much!

you think interac cares about you, and your desire to be in Tokyo. Dude, that is rich.
if they offer you a position, and you turn it down... they go on to the next foreigner jumping at the bit to get into Japan.

Edit: You have an option of either accepting it, because let's face it.. you are not in a position to argue... you have no power. or you go to tokyo as an eikaiwa teacher, or part timer/aeon, nova... and even then they don't care rather you want to be in Tokyo or not.

Gizmotech
February 20th, 2015, 09:54
Another way to think about it is this:

There are a few thousand interac employees around the company. Many of them would love to work in the greater tokyo metro. They are experienced, and have seniority in the company.

Why would they give one of those prime positions to a new guy when they have a line of employees they want to keep happy and working for nothing waiting for those jobs?

antilles43
February 21st, 2015, 23:54
Aha, well they are interesting things to hear, and yes. I am wondering just how far my fiancee can be accommodated before things get tricky for us both.
I am not new to them, although this is my second time to work for them. I do have several commendations and my lessons were the subject of an in depth study by MEXT as part of improving Japanese education, so i hope... they may value me for my experience and ability to train Japanese teachers. I was also on National Tv teaching for them. But hey, im still just another jonny foreigner at the end of the day too, despite past successes.

I requested inner city urban metro (not necessarily Tokyo) and they gave me a town of 1000 people with no trains and possibly one bus every 3 hours. not what i asked for at all.

ambrosse
February 22nd, 2015, 05:28
They might never be able to accommodate your fiancee. In the end, you're working for Interac. They cannot guarantee you a placement in Tokyo just because you have a fiancee. If you were married, it may be a different story. It's too bad your fiancee is not very flexible.

Honestly, If you really want to stay with Interac, don't push them and decline any position that's not super urban. Yeah, a town of 1000 people and no trains sucks, but it may be a good experience regardless. Perhaps Interac would like to place you more rural in order to expose them to your amazing lesson background? Who knows.

BifCarbet
February 22nd, 2015, 07:50
Try Gaba.

patjs
February 26th, 2015, 05:36
Aha, well they are interesting things to hear, and yes. I am wondering just how far my fiancee can be accommodated before things get tricky for us both.
I am not new to them, although this is my second time to work for them. I do have several commendations and my lessons were the subject of an in depth study by MEXT as part of improving Japanese education, so i hope... they may value me for my experience and ability to train Japanese teachers. I was also on National Tv teaching for them. But hey, im still just another jonny foreigner at the end of the day too, despite past successes.

I requested inner city urban metro (not necessarily Tokyo) and they gave me a town of 1000 people with no trains and possibly one bus every 3 hours. not what i asked for at all.

If you are such a star then why in God's name are you applying to work for Interac again?

mothy
February 26th, 2015, 08:18
If you are such a star then why in God's name are you applying to work for Interac again?

Right? With the way some people talk about themselves on here they must either be leaving the crazy shit out or absolutely balls at selling themself.

Ini
February 26th, 2015, 08:38
if you are the poster boy for interac then wouldn't you have better luck applying for their "management consultant" or "head teacher" jobs rather than a bog standard ALT position. you'll probably have a better chance of getting a city placement within an hours commute of central tokyo (chiba, saitama etc) with one of those jobs.

mirrormirror
March 11th, 2015, 17:00
If you don't get the town you requested as your first offer, it's extremely unlikely it's going to show up as your second one because the town's BOE probably turned your resume down. Interac doesn't really care who goes where, it's all up the BOEs. When you request a spot, Interac sends your resume to that area's BOE along with everyone else who wants in there. The BOE then decides who they want. So it's not Interac denying you the spot ... it's the BOE finding your resume lacking for some reason.

Best thing to do is just take the initial offer, put your time in, then request a transfer to see if that experience makes your resume more appealing to the BOE of the town/city you really want (also, requesting a transfer mid-school year is probably not going to make you look good to other BOEs because they'll figure you'll bail on them too).

antilles43
March 12th, 2015, 09:46
Hi Guys, I got my first choice!
I'm so happy!
I am actually amazed that they turned around and gave it to me, but hey, good things happen i guess.
No i don't see myself as a star, quite the contrary this year. I have made mistakes and I know it. But i have learned.
Head teacher? Dont know about that, what qualifications do you need?

Jiggit
March 12th, 2015, 09:48
OK I guess we all know nothing. Time to pack up the tough-loving straight-talking act, boys. Optimism and a positive outlook work miracles.

Congratulations, btw.

Ini
March 12th, 2015, 09:51
Head teacher? Dont know about that, what qualifications do you need?

Teach English in Japan | Interac (http://www.interacnetwork.com/recruit/jobs2015.html)

those cunning devils, hiding all the good jobs in plain view on their website

antilles43
March 12th, 2015, 09:53
Thanks dude,

antilles43
March 12th, 2015, 09:56
Next year for sure, thanks

lovelierlex
October 4th, 2016, 17:50
I think not relocating for a long period of time is a product of not knowing anything when you first get to Japan and having to "build up" friends, activities, basically another social life. It's not easy, so when you finally get that sort of figured out, the idea of doing that again, even in a city you really wanted to live in initially, doesn't sound very appealing.

But I regret not doing it. Not doing something just because it's out of your comfort zone is the fast track to hating yourself or your surroundings. At least it was for me.

Luckily I shook it, but it took having the same talk at about 50 gaijin bars with 50 different people about how Japan wasn't all we hoped it would be until I realized it wasn't Japan's fault, it was mine.

I feel like I can relate to this so much...