PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate of Obligation

sourdoughsushi
February 8th, 2015, 21:02
Hey, JET noob here.
Valentine's Day falls on a Saturday this year, but I get the feeling I'm not safe. Do I need to be bringing in kiss ass chocolate? If so, whose asses should I be aiming to kiss on this Friday?

johnny
February 8th, 2015, 21:32
I'm going to begin this with the regular disclaimer: Others know a lot more than I do. That being said, here's my opinion.

Especially if you're a guy, there is no need to bring chocolate on Valentine's Day. If you are a woman, I think it's up to you. Do you want to do something nice? If so, I recommend buying enough chocolate so that it can be shared with each and every teacher in the staff room.

I brought a box of chocolate for each of my JTE's in the school I visited on White Day along with my Kyoto. They were all women so it seemed like a nice gesture. Those chocolates were shared amongst the teachers.

word
February 8th, 2015, 21:57
The best ALT I knew (male) wore a purple-and-red suit and handed out cheap fake flowers and chocolates to every woman he encountered on Valentine's Day. He went all out and it was pretty much epic. I envied his game. You can bet that if Valentine's Day had happened to fall on a weekday, I'd be tryin' to copy his sexy ass this year.

BifCarbet
February 9th, 2015, 01:58
Making gestures is huge. It's not really that hard to take stuff for people, so why not? I took in a couple strings of Oreos one year and just offered some to teachers during lunch. They loved it, and subsequently treated me a little better.

webstaa
February 9th, 2015, 09:02
If you bring kiss-ass chocolate, do it the American school style and give a fun-sized bag of M&Ms (or conversation hearts) with a Valentines theme and tag to everybody etc.

My first year I did that - they thought it was weird, but then I explained the whole American thing and they were cool-ish with it. Most were shocked by the terribleness of the conversation hearts, but that's nothing new.

ebochan
February 12th, 2015, 05:44
Ugh... I gave chocolates to friends my first year and the Japanese guys took it the wrong way. I didnt bother after that. I do t think you need to bother.

sourdoughsushi
February 13th, 2015, 16:36
Update: Went to 2 schools today and asked a 3rd school about it the other day. No one here does it, at least in the school offices. I gave chocolate to kids instead, had inaka classes today.

johnny
February 14th, 2015, 02:23
It is forbidden to feed the children at my schools.

Penguee
February 14th, 2015, 08:54
I brought chocolate for all the teachers at my school and they begrudgingly exchanged chocolates. They really don't like it for some reason. (There's onle 4 full time teachers. Not like it's costing them a fortune.) and they all stressed that there is no White Day. I think they're stingy. I love chocolates.

Jiggit
February 14th, 2015, 11:00
I brought chocolate for all the teachers at my school and they begrudgingly exchanged chocolates. They really don't like it for some reason. (There's onle 4 full time teachers. Not like it's costing them a fortune.) and they all stressed that there is no White Day. I think they're stingy. I love chocolates.
Oh Japan. Take a western romantic tradition, turn it into some kind of onerous duty and then resent it!

These people are all masochists I swear.

johnny
February 14th, 2015, 12:40
I got chocolates for the teachers at two of my schools for Valentines. I told them I just wanted to show how much I appreciate them. They seemed to appreciate the gesture and gave what I interpreted to be a genuine smile and a thank-you and we were done.

Zolrak 22
February 14th, 2015, 12:55
Aren't guys supposed to wait until white day?

Or do I have that wrong?

Wait.... John....

You are a female?

My world is upside-down... [emoji14]

Penguee
February 14th, 2015, 13:08
Oh Japan. Take a western romantic tradition, turn it into some kind of onerous duty and then resent it!
I quite like that. I wonder what other things my co-workers take as onerous duties? Haha.

Zolrak 22
February 14th, 2015, 13:14
Parties? Check.
Social interaction? Probably check.
Drinking? Check.

And so on?

johnny
February 14th, 2015, 15:32
Aren't guys supposed to wait until white day?

Or do I have that wrong?

Wait.... John....

You are a female?

My world is upside-down... [emoji14]

No, not a chick. I just wanted to do something nice. I justified it by saying this was Canadian tradition for men to give chocolates during Valentines Day.

Ini
February 14th, 2015, 15:38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXw6znXPfy4

johnny
February 14th, 2015, 16:43
Meh, nobody's perfect.

AyaReiko
February 15th, 2015, 04:34
It is forbidden to feed the children at my schools.

Wait wait wait... do you teach at a school for Gremlins? I can't be the only person who thought of this...

johnny
February 15th, 2015, 09:27
Wait wait wait... do you teach at a school for Gremlins? I can't be the only person who thought of this...

Funny that you mention it, we can get them wet either.

Zolrak 22
February 15th, 2015, 09:30
Funny that you mention it, we can't get them wet either.

If that's supposed to be innuendo then I'm not sure if I should be proud of you or not. [emoji28]

uthinkimlost?
February 15th, 2015, 10:16

I haven't met an ALT under 27 that has any clue what a gremlin is, Granny/Gramps.

Zolrak 22
February 15th, 2015, 10:18
I haven't met an ALT under 27 that has any clue what a gremlin is, Granny/Gramps.
So that's why I won't make it as an ALT.

AyaReiko
February 15th, 2015, 15:31

It's been previously established that I'm a time traveller from the 90s. That's my only defence. (That and that children should watch Gremlins for Christmas, I guess.)

webstaa
February 16th, 2015, 08:44
Got to my school today and the first thing the towering huge Math teacher says to me was, "No candy? Very sad." Apparently after putting pictures up of American Valentines candy they were all expecting piles of those shitty candy hearts...

uthinkimlost?
February 16th, 2015, 08:47
Got to my school today and the first thing the towering huge Math teacher says to me was, "No candy? Very sad." Apparently after putting pictures up of American Valentines candy they were all expecting piles of those shitty candy hearts...

Duh.

Put up photos of hotties in rabbit ears and bikinis for Easter and watch the disappointment multiply.

Zolrak 22
February 16th, 2015, 08:51
Not even pity candy?

For shame, Web.
For shame!