PDA

View Full Version : How was the After-JET Conference this year?

hithere4
February 9th, 2015, 10:22
I went in 2014. I'm curious is the career fair aspect was any good this year...

Gizmotech
February 9th, 2015, 12:36
It's actually today and tomorrow.

greyjoy
February 9th, 2015, 15:13
Well how was it last year?

itsabird
February 9th, 2015, 15:35
Let me know how it's going as hell. Not that it matters, I wouldn't want to work for any company in foreign relations anyways. But I am slightly curious.

hithere4
February 10th, 2015, 02:09
Well how was it last year?

Last year, I almost found it insulting at the types of companies they had there. Recruitment firms, grad schools (as in we pay to go to grad school), interac, Apple (retail staff). There were 2 or 3 "legit" companies and Mitsubishi sent a rep (a former PC who didn't actually have any open positions available). There was one good company with a JET alum rep, I can't remember his name now, but it was an IT firm looking to get JETs. It seemed like they were on the up and up and I interviewed with them, but since then, I have heard that they were a "black" company. I think Eureka is the name. Not sure how true those "black" company accusations as some of the complaints to me seemed like just "culture" shock of going from an ALT job to a real job...

mothy
February 10th, 2015, 07:35
I think you mean from JET to a real job.

coop52
February 10th, 2015, 10:40
That sounds pretty similar to the lineup for 2013. Mostly headhunters and grad schools, with Mitsubishi (who didn't have any open positions then either) and a couple of smaller companies. The workshops at least were somewhat decent, especially the one on writing Japanese resumes. The keynote that year was kind of boring, so I ended up drawing pictures of Rilakkuma all over the shitton of papers they gave us while trying not to sleep for 2-3 hours. At least I got to hang out in a really city for a couple of days.

itsabird
February 10th, 2015, 11:22
At least I got to hang out in a really city for a couple of days.

coop52
February 10th, 2015, 13:44
Goddammit. I wish I could blame autocorrect for that, but I can't. :(