PDA

View Full Version : Terrible interview, still got into JET?

Pages : [1] 2

hiddenlee22
February 10th, 2015, 01:27
Hola everyone!

There seems to be a few (the minority) of us who were recently interviewed who aren't feeling too great about our overall performance. Speaking from my own experience, it did not go as well as I would have hoped in a number of ways e.g. awkward mock lesson, terrible Japanese portion, and MANY MORE! And I'm very aware we are all adults (some more than others) and living in the fantasy of "maybe it wasn't so bad" isn't very adult-like. However, to alleviate some of the pain we are feeling, does anyone care to share stories of terrible interviews where you or somebody you know performed at a subpar level and still got short-listed or even alternate?

Also for those of you who had such wonderful interviews (I'm not bitter, I swear), this won't really apply to you. :cool:

OtherPulse
February 10th, 2015, 01:41
I vomited all over the interviewers due to nerves, dropped my loaded gun on the floor, revealed that I assassinated Franz Ferdinand; and I still got into JET.

BifCarbet
February 10th, 2015, 02:12
I can't really say I know too much about the interviews of people I've met, but I've been associated with PLENTY of ALTs whom I could not possibly see having been eloquent or charming at any point in their lives. Maaaaybe they somehow pulled it all together for their interviews, but some of the folks I've met have just made me scratch my head thinking, "How did they not catch you?" I'm sure SOME people do get in despite their interview performance.

Judging simply by your grammar and tone, you are more well-adjusted and smarter than many people in the program. That's a fact. However, that fact is irrelevant to whether or not you get in.

mrcharisma
February 10th, 2015, 02:45
There's every chance your "terrible" interview didn't seem as bad to them as it did to you so I wouldn't assume the worst just yet.

Mine was a bit stunted and awkward but I think a fairly inventive answer to a question about current affairs Nipside got me in.

weepinbell
February 10th, 2015, 02:53
Lol I'm glad you started this thread because as time goes on, the more I begin to fixate and nitpick on stuff that did not go perfectly. I feel really good about how I presented myself, but there were some well-spoken responses that weren't 'awesome' and some that I reached for and I keep going 'dang, if only I had/hadn't said this!' I know best policy is probably to let it go, live my life and continue with everything as normal, JET out of the picture for now, but man! It's so hard, I'm like stuck in post-interview hell haha.

ichigo
February 10th, 2015, 02:59
Cringe worthy moment: I tried opening my wallet to get out my ID, got some money stuck in the zipper and struggled hard for a good two minutes in front of the program coordinator and the rest of the panel before I got to say anything. It was so awkward >_< I made an... interesting first impression, haha. "That one girl that can't open a wallet." -____-

That and other things keep me cringing, so I'm also very curious to see if there are/were JETs that felt like their interview sucked yet were pleasantly surprised in April.

hiddenlee22
February 10th, 2015, 03:59
Judging simply by your grammar and tone, you are more well-adjusted and smarter than many people in the program. That's a fact. However, that fact is irrelevant to whether or not you get in.

There's that ITIL love again. Thanks for the kind words, but you're right. They're irrelevant to those interviewers.

Cringe worthy moment: I tried opening my wallet to get out my ID, got some money stuck in the zipper and struggled hard for a good two minutes in front of the program coordinator and the rest of the panel before I got to say anything. It was so awkward >_< I made an... interesting first impression, haha. "That one girl that can't open a wallet." -____-

That and other things keep me cringing, so I'm also very curious to see if there are/were JETs that felt like their interview sucked yet were pleasantly surprised in April.

The thoughts that must have been running through their minds...:cool: I think everyone had a "wtf is wrong with me" moment during their interview. If you didn't, congrats you are a functional robot.

Your panel took your paperwork/I.D.? In NY, the ex-JET in the waiting area took our stuff.

Mine was a bit stunted and awkward but I think a fairly inventive answer to a question about current affairs Nipside got me in.

Did their reactions tell you anything? Any eyebrow raising, vigorous nodding, etc.?

Zolrak 22
February 10th, 2015, 04:05
Lee, if you end up as a short lister I'm going to mess with you so hard about all of these insecurities. [emoji48]

OtherPulse
February 10th, 2015, 04:07
In all seriousness, you likely have no idea how your interview went. I understand wanting some closure, but all this thread is going to do is make you more obsessively analyse your interview and compare yourself to other people.

PuddingHead
February 10th, 2015, 04:09
There's that ITIL love.

People cope with situations differently. What might make someone more paranoid might put another at ease.

Different strokes and whatnot. ;)

Zolrak 22
February 10th, 2015, 04:10
The romantic horse knows what she's talking about.

hiddenlee22
February 10th, 2015, 04:19
This thread is merely to ease the minds of those who think they don't have a shot in hell anymore because they didn't perform well. By no means should this feed their neuroticism about the whole thing for the next two months.
This is just like how the application stage went. You may obsess for a hot second, but eventually you move on to whatever else is going on in your life like senior year for some.

Personally, I just hate ambiguity of it all. Must be that instant gratification mindset all us young folk have.

I love how you put "if" zol. It's like fuel to the fire of my insecurities. :cool:

Edit: Like Puddin said, it just acts as coping mechanism for most (and maybe me).

BarnSwallow
February 10th, 2015, 04:33
Lol I'm glad you started this thread because as time goes on, the more I begin to fixate and nitpick on stuff that did not go perfectly. I feel really good about how I presented myself, but there were some well-spoken responses that weren't 'awesome' and some that I reached for and I keep going 'dang, if only I had/hadn't said this!' I know best policy is probably to let it go, live my life and continue with everything as normal, JET out of the picture for now, but man! It's so hard, I'm like stuck in post-interview hell haha.

Hahaha, I'm feeling almost the exact same way. I felt good about how it went in general after the interview, but the more I dwell on how it went, the more stuff I start to nitpick.. I just want to get it out of my head and wait peacefully!

OtherPulse
February 10th, 2015, 04:36
Eh fair enough, I'd just recommend caution before one thing leads to another and suddenly you had the worst interview ever. You all seem like clever cupcakes, so don't stress out so much.

blik
February 10th, 2015, 05:26
I had a stupidly awkward moment (though it was mostly awkward in my head) where at the end, the panel stood up to see me out and I panicked on whether or not I should shake their hands, which made me freeze in my tracks and look at them, which made the kind Japanese man say, "Oh!" and head for the door to open it for me, which made me lunge forward to get to it before him so it wouldn't seem like that'd been what I was expecting them to do for me. Needless to say, I didn't shake their hands, but repeated a hurried thanks and goodbye and ran out of the room. Walked down the hallway kicking myself.

Also, on my Japanese test (and yes, I know it's just bonus points) there was a picture of a man and woman doing housework/preparing food and I had to role-play dialogue, but in my nervousness ALL my vocab flew out the window and all I said was the Japanese equivalent of, "Honey, do you like the stew?" "Yes, you are very good at cooking." Since then, however, the two characters have been talking up a goddamn storm in my mind, especially while I'm trying to fall asleep and all of my regrets come to revisit me.

patjs
February 10th, 2015, 05:38
I think if you REALLY screwed it up you could knock yourself from short list to alternate (or, I supposed from alternate to rejected) but I wouldn't worry too much.

There are plenty of really awkward, flat out unqualified people who make it onto JET.

If you stumbled on a question or said something a little weird or dropped your water bottle it isn't going to knock you out.

weepinbell
February 10th, 2015, 05:39
Also, on my Japanese test (and yes, I know it's just bonus points) there was a picture of a man and woman doing housework/preparing food and I had to role-play dialogue, but in my nervousness ALL my vocab flew out the window and all I said was the Japanese equivalent of, "Honey, do you like the stew?" "Yes, you are very good at cooking." Since then, however, the two characters have been talking up a goddamn storm in my mind, especially while I'm trying to fall asleep and all of my regrets come to revisit me.

Haha oh my lord thinking about this test makes me laugh so much. I had a picture of a mom/sick kid and my interviewer wanted me to be the mom. There was a picture of a hospital I asked "Byouin? Byouin desu ka?" a couple times but of course they wanted more so in broken Japanese I go 'Do you need a hospital?' and she kind of laughed and went 'Yes, I do!' But I should have just been like 'You're sick! Let's go to the hospital' and the more I think of it I'm like, jeez that was such a simple question lol.

I know the Japanese doesn't really 'count', but I am just loving the amount of people who totally blanked on that section. I'm hoping/thinking they take that into account hahaha.

gibbity
February 10th, 2015, 05:41
My interview felt very generic. Overall i left with a sense of having done well, but simply not being as great as i would have wanted. I'd give myself the benefit of the doubt and say im a 50/50 for getting it.

With that in mind, and given thats how it seems some of you feel, i would recommend focusing on backup plans. It isnt your first choice, obviously, but could ease your mind and keep you busy in the mean-time. If you end up with no offer/wait-listed, you have a few job apps ready and out. If you happen to get in, everything is gravy trains with biscuit wheels.

Like a relationship where you are taking a break, but plan to get back together after your SO has their crazy fling in <insert location>. Just keep yourself busy and do some catharsis.

hiddenlee22
February 10th, 2015, 05:59
I think if you REALLY screwed it up you could knock yourself from short list to alternate (or, I supposed from alternate to rejected) but I wouldn't worry too much.

I don't think anyone here REALLY screwed up (or at least will tell everyone) I say it was cringeworthy because it didn't go as I had hoped, but that isn't to say it was god-awful and I shouldn't have bothered to show up.

Just keep the mindset there are plenty of weirdos out there who let their freak flags fly during interviews or boring people who showed zero personality. You, at the minimum, beat them out.

patjs
February 10th, 2015, 06:10
Ok, well I know a bit about what I'm talking about considering I have interviewed people for JET and participated on the program...

I'm trying to be nice here to you guys who are worrying so much. You don't need to worry unless you really messed it up.

MikeCarter
February 10th, 2015, 06:14
Ok, well I know a bit about what I'm talking about considering I have interviewed people for JET and participated on the program...

I'm trying to be nice here to you guys who are worrying so much. You don't need to worry unless you really messed it up.

Can you share some funny stories about people you interviewed? I'm sure you've witnessed a few train wrecks that would cheer everyone here up.

hiddenlee22
February 10th, 2015, 06:20

Well I feel like an idiot. Didn't know you had that kind of background.

So no need to worry unless you really messed it up? :cool: everyone here sounds golden to me.

patjs
February 10th, 2015, 06:20
I really can't get into specifics but here's a (what I think should be obvious) protip: DON'T BRING YOUR PARENTS TO YOUR INTERVIEW WITH YOU.

There are an alarming number of people who show up with their moms, or even worse like 2-3 family members.

Rest assured everyone is silently judging you when you do this.

hiddenlee22
February 10th, 2015, 06:25
I really can't get into specifics but here's a (what I think should be obvious) protip: DON'T BRING YOUR PARENTS TO YOUR INTERVIEW WITH YOU.

There are an alarming number of people who show up with their moms, or even worse like 2-3 family members.

Common sense for the win!

blik
February 10th, 2015, 06:27
Just keep the mindset there are plenty of weirdos out there who let their freak flags fly during interviews or boring people who showed zero personality. You, at the minimum, beat them out.

Don't let your freak flags fly? .................................shit

(Also, say "freak flags fly" five times fast.)

patjs, thanks for the vote of confidence. Hopefully it's deserved!

Zolrak 22
February 10th, 2015, 07:22
I love how you put "if" zol. It's like fuel to the fire of my insecurities. :cool:

Let me put it this way, if someone like me gets in then your placement is guaranteed. [emoji41]

As long as you didn't react like the poltergeist, then you are probably fine. They are aware we are nervous when we get in the interview. So we were basically showing them the worse version of ourselves. [emoji75]

ambrosse
February 10th, 2015, 07:31
Like Blik, I messed up the handshake as well, but at the beginning. When I got to the front, the panel was still sitting down. Since I was standing there for a little while, I sat down, but then they stood up!
So I stood up, shook their hands and apologized for making things a bit awkward (because it was). I then pretended like it never happened and from that point everyone, including myself, was super relaxed.
I did give each of them a firm handshake before I left though to make up for the first handshake failure :)

mothy
February 10th, 2015, 07:50
I thought mine didn't go particularly well at the time, but was shortlisted. Knowing what I do now about what JET is looking for I think I was a superstar now. At the time it's so hard to know.
It's pointless to fret about it. If you really did fuck up then you're probably fucked. If you just feel you could have done better, you're probably fine.

Jiggit
February 10th, 2015, 08:40
People who came with their parents are probably way beyond the point where they have any say in the matter.

Remember that the interview isn't 100% of your application. If you have strong qualifications and a strong SoP then a mediocre interview may well be enough. Being a bit clumsy or nervous isn't going to ruin your application and the fact that you're self-conscious about it shows maturity and self-awareness. Mothy is right anyway, you're past the point where worrying is going to affect it. All you can do now is get on with other stuff in your life while you wait. If you've got time to worry, you've got time to make plans for the future, whether or not you get onto JET.

Gunjumero
February 10th, 2015, 08:44
People who came with their parents are probably way beyond the point where they have any say in the matter.

Remember that the interview isn't 100% of your application. If you have strong qualifications and a strong SoP then a mediocre interview may well be enough. Being a bit clumsy or nervous isn't going to ruin your application and the fact that you're self-conscious about it shows maturity and self-awareness. Mothy is right anyway, you're past the point where worrying is going to affect it. All you can do now is get on with other stuff in your life while you wait. If you've got time to worry, you've got time to make plans for the future, whether or not you get onto JET.

Oh ? I thought the application didn't matter at that point and ''only'' served to get you an interview.

Interesting Jiggit, Interesting.

johnny
February 10th, 2015, 09:08

I wish I could hear about those stories.

Gizmotech
February 10th, 2015, 09:49
I taught the wrong animal in my interview proving I knew jack squat about Canadian culture and that I was totally okay with pulling shit out of my ass and teaching it.

At the time, I thought I was good'n'fuckered.

Now that I'm on JET, I've realized that my ability to do exactly that is what makes me awesome at my job. I also see TONS of people around me who I absolutely cannot understand how they passed an interview and had to get in purely on their paperwork.

hiddenlee22
February 10th, 2015, 09:56
I wish I could hear about those stories.

+1

I don't understand (on any level) why you would bring your parents to an interview and I don't think I ever will, but I want to know!

Verbatim
February 10th, 2015, 10:28
If your paperwork still holds some weight along with your interview, that actually makes me feel a lot better!

Perilwink
February 10th, 2015, 12:50
Darn, no one brought parents to my interview spot!

Cringe worthy moment: I tried opening my wallet to get out my ID, got some money stuck in the zipper and struggled hard for a good two minutes in front of the program coordinator and the rest of the panel before I got to say anything.

At this point, my hands were still shaking too much to handle anything. I wasn't expecting them to check my ID again, so I had some awkward purse fumbling as well! You were not alone.

I think the Japanese section is the only part I felt really good about. I didn't ace it, and I definitely butchered some grammar in my responses, but I think I handled it with a cool head and represented my actual skill set. Also helped that the reading I did centered around a kanji I had JUST taught a student.

However, the mock-lesson flashbacks will not end... x.x Of course I think of the perfect Halloween lesson after the interview.

I just want to echo the sentiment that I think we're all over-analyzing it at this point. I don't think any of us vomited in the middle of the interview, so that's always a point in the positive column, right?

BifCarbet
February 10th, 2015, 14:41
I don't think any of us vomited in the middle of the interview, so that's always a point in the positive column, right?

I did, but it was because I was still drunk from the night before.

(joke)

mothy
February 10th, 2015, 15:44
I did, but it was because I was still drunk from the night before.

(joke)

Sounds like perfect ALT material then.

miamicoordinator
February 10th, 2015, 23:03
Remember that the interview isn't 100% of your application. If you have strong qualifications and a strong SoP then a mediocre interview may well be enough.

While I cannot say for sure what other coordinators have done in the past, I know that this is not the case now. The original DC score is on the spread sheet that we send to Tokyo, but that score does not determine your ranking on our recommendation list. Our recommendation list is solely based off the interview. I have never once interviewed someone and said "Well, their interview was lack luster, but they look great on paper, I am recommending him/her."

Granted, there are a large amount of people who do make it into JET that people wonder how they ever made it in, but it could be that they were a low ranking alternate that got lucky, or the more qualified people got better jobs and the socially awkward person got in because of that. I can guarantee though it is not because they had a strong SoP. The paper application is only for getting an actual interview.

gibbity
February 10th, 2015, 23:08
MC with the buzz-kill. Coming in like a lumberjack with buzz-saw hands in a forest of tiny little saplings. Ruthless.

Zolrak 22
February 10th, 2015, 23:08
You just had to break their hearts, didn't you Mcito? [emoji14]

miamicoordinator
February 10th, 2015, 23:16
MC with the buzz-kill. Coming in like a lumberjack with buzz-saw hands in a forest of tiny little saplings. Ruthless.

Keeping it real since Feb. 2014

miamicoordinator
February 10th, 2015, 23:18
You just had to break their hearts, didn't you Mcito? [emoji14]

:067:<3

Jiggit
February 10th, 2015, 23:36
While I cannot say for sure what other coordinators have done in the past, I know that this is not the case now. The original DC score is on the spread sheet that we send to Tokyo, but that score does not determine your ranking on our recommendation list. Our recommendation list is solely based off the interview. I have never once interviewed someone and said "Well, their interview was lack luster, but they look great on paper, I am recommending him/her."

Granted, there are a large amount of people who do make it into JET that people wonder how they ever made it in, but it could be that they were a low ranking alternate that got lucky, or the more qualified people got better jobs and the socially awkward person got in because of that. I can guarantee though it is not because they had a strong SoP. The paper application is only for getting an actual interview.

Don't get me wrong, you know far more about it than me, but I thought that while your recommendation was based off the interview, the final decision wasn't made by you guys? While the interview is undoubtedly the most important part, is the recommendation as simple as a "yes/no" decision? I was just assuming that if the applicant had an average interview and a decent application they might be accepted over an applicant with a similar interview but poorer overall application.

Though maybe they just wouldn't accept an applicant without a recommendation, so it's probably the same deal.

miamicoordinator
February 10th, 2015, 23:56
Don't get me wrong, you know far more about it than me, but I thought that while your recommendation was based off the interview, the final decision wasn't made by you guys? While the interview is undoubtedly the most important part, is the recommendation as simple as a "yes/no" decision? I was just assuming that if the applicant had an average interview and a decent application they might be accepted over an applicant with a similar interview but poorer overall application.

Though maybe they just wouldn't accept an applicant without a recommendation, so it's probably the same deal.

I'll explain a little how the process works for everyone's information.

After interviews are over, we compile our recommendation list for Tokyo. It is divided into two categories, Recommend and Not Recommend. Essentially, it is a Yes/No stance from us when it comes to whether or not you pass the interview.

The people who do not pass the interview are not ranked in any specific order, they just do not pass.

The people who we do recommend are ranked from highest score to lowest score. When it comes time to select the short list, they will grab the number of people needed from the list. It has always followed a top to bottom pattern with few exceptions. Those exceptions are always medically related.

While it is true that technically Tokyo has the final say, in my 12 years at the Consulate, I have never seen Tokyo go against the recommendation list we send to them. I can say for sure that they have never accepted anyone that we have not recommended. Tokyo does get a copy of the original application, but they do not go through the 1500+ recommendations that we send to them. They just do not have the man power or time to go through what we have already done.

Jiggit
February 10th, 2015, 23:59
That's pretty conclusive, fair enough.

Thanks for the insight.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 00:04
Until now, you'll see! [emoji39]

(Not! [emoji174] )

BifCarbet
February 11th, 2015, 00:18
Great info, MC! One question. How do they differentiate between candidates from different consulates? Do they already know how many they're taking from each?

miamicoordinator
February 11th, 2015, 00:46
Great info, MC! One question. How do they differentiate between candidates from different consulates? Do they already know how many they're taking from each?

Good question Bif. I have talked about this before in other threads, but I will talk about it again since I am sure those answers are long buried by now.

Years ago there was a cap each Consulate could receive depending on the amount of people they interviewed. As of 3 years ago though, they have streamlined everything, and no longer do that.

Tokyo no longer differentiates applicants between Consulates when determining who will be on the intial short list. It is solely based off your score. Basically what happens is we send our recommendation list with your scores to Tokyo, and they combine all of the U.S. Consulates together(I cannot speak for other countries, but I am fairly certain it is the same way). Then basically they take the top (insert number of new open spots, lets say 900) from the list and those people are initially short listed. It is not till afterward that they send us the specific people we are supposed to send.

So basically, the number of applicants per consulate that get to go depends on how well people score in the interviews. If a Consulate has people who do not do too well, then they will not send many people. If they have a lot of good candidates, then there is a chance they will send more people. Since all of the scores are combined, you are essentially competing with the whole U.S., not just people who interviewed at your same location.

They did it this way to make it more "fair" because they didnt think a Consulate should be restricted by interview numbers. However, it causes problems every year because it is impossible for everyone in the U.S. to score the exact same way. We all follow a scoring guide to make sure we are on the same page, but what a good jet to me could be very different than a good jet to someone interviewing in another location. It is definitely an imperfect system, and Tokyo is always looking for ways to make things more similar nationwide (thus the same Japanese test in all Consulates now).

At any rate, the days of strategic consulate interview picking have been over for a few years. Now, no matter where you interview, you will be against everyone in the U.S. The only difference is who will decide on your score, and what they are looking for.

BifCarbet
February 11th, 2015, 00:52
Great info! Thanks. Any idea how many CIRs they plan to take from the US?

miamicoordinator
February 11th, 2015, 01:00
Great info! Thanks. Any idea how many CIRs they plan to take from the US?

The number of open spots is what I wish we would know beforehand, but they do not tell us. I suspect it is because the number changes often. Some BoEs may add people at the last minute, some may not replace their JETs, etc... So they just leave it as a mystery until we get the final list back from Tokyo.

If we go by last years numbers, there were a little over 100 CIRs who applied for the position, and I think 42? sent sent? Something along those lines. I think the numbers this year should be pretty similar. It is always a lot harder for CIRs because there are not as many positions open. If we send 900 ALTs, the chances that some of those 900 may decline, or have an issue are much greater than if the number were 42. It is much rarer for a CIR to decline an offer, but is does happen. I had one CIR upgrade last year.

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 01:17
The people who we do recommend are ranked from highest score to lowest score. When it comes time to select the short list, they will grab the number of people needed from the list. It has always followed a top to bottom pattern with few exceptions. Those exceptions are always medically related.

While it is true that technically Tokyo has the final say, in my 12 years at the Consulate, I have never seen Tokyo go against the recommendation list we send to them. I can say for sure that they have never accepted anyone that we have not recommended. Tokyo does get a copy of the original application, but they do not go through the 1500+ recommendations that we send to them. They just do not have the man power or time to go through what we have already done.

So after the interview (aside from scores) it's what each BoE is looking for i.e. likes soccer, speaks another language, etc.?

miamicoordinator
February 11th, 2015, 01:31
So after the interview (aside from scores) it's what each BoE is looking for i.e. likes soccer, speaks another language, etc.?

The way in which the BoEs start selecting people for the short list(due to the time constraint) is a little less hands on. There is no way for the BoEs to fly people in to Tokyo and go through each of the applications. Basically what happens is they send Tokyo their wishlist(I want an american female, who can speak Japanese, with a TEFL certification) for example. Tokyo will then try to match up their requests with the people who are lucky enough to be within the magic number of open spots. As you can imagine, the BoEs dont always get what the ask for. Tokyo does try to fit their needs. If there is something very serious, for example they NEED a female ALT because a previous male ALT molested some students, then that BoE will get their female. BoEs have a list of requests, and they have a list of requirements. Tokyo tries to be sensitive to both. This though doesnt happen till much later. First, people need to accept their position on JET, then when they know who is going, they will decide placements. This is why the placement lists dont come out till sometime in May while the shortlist comes out in April.

They do not want to go through the hassle of assigning someone to a location when the person might have already decided they dont want to do JET anymore.

weepinbell
February 11th, 2015, 01:39
Thanks for the great info miami... I think it helps my nerves more to at least know a little about how the deciding process works. Super helpful. Does it vary by consulate with how people find out if they were shortlisted? I've heard some people get calls, some people get emails, but I didn't know if that was a country by country or state by state thing. Will we get a rejection letter if we don't get shortlisted or alternate or just not receive anything?

miamicoordinator
February 11th, 2015, 01:47
Thanks for the great info miami... I think it helps my nerves more to at least know a little about how the deciding process works. Super helpful. Does it vary by consulate with how people find out if they were shortlisted? I've heard some people get calls, some people get emails, but I didn't know if that was a country by country or state by state thing. Will we get a rejection letter if we don't get shortlisted or alternate or just not receive anything?

Bare minimum, you will receive an e-mail. No coordinator is ever going to just not e-mail you if you did not pass the interview. That is something that is common in companies here, but guaranteed you will receive a "We regret to inform you that you have not been selected..." if you did not pass the interview.

When it comes to Short-list and Alternate list, that depends on the Consulate. For example, I know many coordinators will call the people on the short-list(I am one of those who does this) because I enjoy hearing the reaction of the applicants. I will call, and leave a message, but if they do not call me back all day, then I will send them an e-mail congratulating them.

As for the alternate list, I will just e-mail the person. I dont want to get anyones hopes up by giving them a call and saying CONGRATS!! You are an alternate..... Granted, being an alternate is not all doom and gloom, but it is definitely not what people want to hear on the phone.

Since Chicago has the largest number of applicant weepinbell, I am pretty sure that your coordinators e-mails you the results. I can't imagine calling 150+ people. E-mail is most likely more efficient. But hey who knows? Maybe they will call this year.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 01:59
l For example, I know many coordinators will call the people on the short-list(I am one of those who does this) because I enjoy hearing the reaction of the applicants.

You'd probably be disappointed with my reaction.

"Thank you, have a nice day. "

(Maybe adding" it's an honor")

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 02:06

"We regret to inform you..."

miamicoordinator
February 11th, 2015, 02:06

Where is that puerto rican sabor?! Please have more spiece in life mi amigo!

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 02:20
Where is that puerto rican sabor?! Please have more spice in life mi amigo!

Pfft, alright.

Just for you, I'll react with some enthusiastic Spanish. [emoji14]

"We regret to inform you..."
Chances are, this is more likely. [emoji28]

gibbity
February 11th, 2015, 02:21
Since Chicago has the largest number of applicant ....

Chicago had the most? i guess it makes sense with the wide net they have state-wise... but for some reason new york always screamed the busiest. Must be something about the midwest and landlocked states that makes people need to GTFO with a quickness.

miamicoordinator
February 11th, 2015, 02:27
Chicago had the most? i guess it makes sense with the wide net they have state-wise... but for some reason new york always screamed the busiest. Must be something about the midwest and landlocked states that makes people need to GTFO with a quickness.

I have the exact numbers in a file, but I'm not sure if the interview numbers are for public knowledge. The top two are always Chicago and New York, each having well over 200 people. I was shocked with Chicago's numbers also, but it made sense after seeing how many Universities in their jurisdiction offered Japanese classes. The west coast is the same way, but Cali for example has L.A. and San Fran to keep the numbers under control.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 02:34
Ha! Japanese studies.

Those are a myth where I come from.

gibbity
February 11th, 2015, 02:37
ah. That split on the West Coast makes more sense now too. Cool Cool.

Lorenzo
February 11th, 2015, 02:50
Miami, thanks for all the information that you've shared with us. It's really appreciated and knowing more about the process definitely makes me feel at ease. However, there is one thing you mentioned that I'd like to ask further about, if you don't mind -

Those exceptions are always medically related.

What exactly are the nature of these exceptions, if you could shed some light on that? The only reason I ask is that because I got an interview I assumed they had already taken my medical history into consideration, and my circumstances were deemed acceptable. Essentially, what you're saying is that medical history is taken into account at the recommendation stage post-interview, and not just at the initial screening process?

I have a history of depression, so I'm now wondering that if I'm recommended, is there a chance I'll be skipped over (or at least positioned below people with lower scores) when it comes to sending the points list to Tokyo? It was three years ago and I haven't suffered from it since, so I imagine it's not a big of a deal as some cases, but it's a little concerning nonetheless. I'm also from the UK, so I'm not sure if you know how it works there.

Thanks man.

haitch40
February 11th, 2015, 03:03
Ha! Japanese studies.

The sign of a weeb.

MikeCarter
February 11th, 2015, 03:12
Good question Bif. I have talked about this before in other threads, but I will talk about it again since I am sure those answers are long buried by now.

Years ago there was a cap each Consulate could receive depending on the amount of people they interviewed. As of 3 years ago though, they have streamlined everything, and no longer do that.

Tokyo no longer differentiates applicants between Consulates when determining who will be on the intial short list. It is solely based off your score. Basically what happens is we send our recommendation list with your scores to Tokyo, and they combine all of the U.S. Consulates together(I cannot speak for other countries, but I am fairly certain it is the same way). Then basically they take the top (insert number of new open spots, lets say 900) from the list and those people are initially short listed. It is not till afterward that they send us the specific people we are supposed to send.

So basically, the number of applicants per consulate that get to go depends on how well people score in the interviews. If a Consulate has people who do not do too well, then they will not send many people. If they have a lot of good candidates, then there is a chance they will send more people. Since all of the scores are combined, you are essentially competing with the whole U.S., not just people who interviewed at your same location.

They did it this way to make it more "fair" because they didnt think a Consulate should be restricted by interview numbers. However, it causes problems every year because it is impossible for everyone in the U.S. to score the exact same way. We all follow a scoring guide to make sure we are on the same page, but what a good jet to me could be very different than a good jet to someone interviewing in another location. It is definitely an imperfect system, and Tokyo is always looking for ways to make things more similar nationwide (thus the same Japanese test in all Consulates now).

At any rate, the days of strategic consulate interview picking have been over for a few years. Now, no matter where you interview, you will be against everyone in the U.S. The only difference is who will decide on your score, and what they are looking for.

I think that explains quite well why Canada seems to have tried to streamline the questions this year. Everyone else I hear that interviewed more or less got the same type of interview (including the exclusion of their SOP and application for the most part).

miamicoordinator
February 11th, 2015, 03:33
Miami, thanks for all the information that you've shared with us. It's really appreciated and knowing more about the process definitely makes me feel at ease. However, there is one thing you mentioned that I'd like to ask further about, if you don't mind -

What exactly are the nature of these exceptions, if you could shed some light on that? The only reason I ask is that because I got an interview I assumed they had already taken my medical history into consideration, and my circumstances were deemed acceptable. Essentially, what you're saying is that medical history is taken into account at the recommendation stage post-interview, and not just at the initial screening process?

I have a history of depression, so I'm now wondering that if I'm recommended, is there a chance I'll be skipped over (or at least positioned below people with lower scores) when it comes to sending the points list to Tokyo? It was three years ago and I haven't suffered from it since, so I imagine it's not a big of a deal as some cases, but it's a little concerning nonetheless. I'm also from the UK, so I'm not sure if you know how it works there.

Thanks man.

When I mentioned medical exceptions I mean things like a certain condition that requires an applicant to be near a hospital for a monthly MRI check up. Lets say we have a great applicant, but for some reason none of the openings available this year are near a hospital that has a MRI machine. Knowing that this person has a medical condition that requires a certain type of placement, there is no way they can place them in some rural, remote location where your wounds will be treated with moss and twigs and twine. Not being placed in a location because of situations like this are very rare. Tokyo can usually match you up with a location, but they can never guarantee anything before hand. That is why it is important to understand that being on the short list means you will be given a spot as long as they can find a placement suitable for you. In my time I have never seen anyone on the shortlist that did not get given a placement, but I do understand it has happened in the past due to the aforementioned rare circumstances. Japan likes to make sure it does not make a promise it cannot keep, so they keep a certain vagueness when it comes to participation prior to placements.

As for your depression, that is so common is people now a days, it is really not taboo. A good number of JET applicants every year have been diagnosed with depression, and they go regardless. Considering the fact that nothing has happened in 3 years I would not worry about it too much. Depression is such a broad term anyway, there is a huge difference between someone who felt sad, and reclusive for a while compared to someone who attempted suicide for example.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 03:55
The short list is basically the golden ticket. As long as you don't mess it up somehow, you'll be fine. [emoji14]

The sign of a weeb.
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. [emoji6]

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 05:05
The sign of a weeb.

Anyone else coerced by their academic advisor? Just me? :cool:

ambrosse
February 11th, 2015, 05:39
Anyone else coerced by their academic advisor? Just me? :cool:

I was coerced by an Ex-JET, haha.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 06:16
Eh, I'd like to blame someone else... But I can't. [emoji28]

Oh, I could always blame the people I've helped over Skype and websites like Lang-8.

haitch40
February 11th, 2015, 07:31
I blame 2 of my friends who got accepted last year and makes me want to go.

Also Miami. Do you take into account references after the interview or not? And how much do you consider the references when deciding on whether to interview someone?

Gunjumero
February 11th, 2015, 08:26
Also Miami. Do you take into account references after the interview or not? And how much do you consider the references when deciding on whether to interview someone?

I like that question very much

Lorenzo
February 11th, 2015, 08:30
When I mentioned medical exceptions I mean things like a certain condition that requires an applicant to be near a hospital for a monthly MRI check up. Lets say we have a great applicant, but for some reason none of the openings available this year are near a hospital that has a MRI machine. Knowing that this person has a medical condition that requires a certain type of placement, there is no way they can place them in some rural, remote location where your wounds will be treated with moss and twigs and twine. Not being placed in a location because of situations like this are very rare. Tokyo can usually match you up with a location, but they can never guarantee anything before hand. That is why it is important to understand that being on the short list means you will be given a spot as long as they can find a placement suitable for you. In my time I have never seen anyone on the shortlist that did not get given a placement, but I do understand it has happened in the past due to the aforementioned rare circumstances. Japan likes to make sure it does not make a promise it cannot keep, so they keep a certain vagueness when it comes to participation prior to placements.

As for your depression, that is so common is people now a days, it is really not taboo. A good number of JET applicants every year have been diagnosed with depression, and they go regardless. Considering the fact that nothing has happened in 3 years I would not worry about it too much. Depression is such a broad term anyway, there is a huge difference between someone who felt sad, and reclusive for a while compared to someone who attempted suicide for example.

Thank you, that's very reassuring!

uthinkimlost?
February 11th, 2015, 08:40
There was an ITILer from before my time that was unshortlisted, but I can't find the thread.

blik
February 11th, 2015, 09:08
Phenomenally helpful and interesting information as usual, MC. Thanks.

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 10:42
The amount of love MC gets is overwhelming. I bet he basks in the praise we shower him with.

Of course, he knows he'll always hold a special place in my heart :cool:

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 10:48
Of course, he knows he'll always hold a special place in my heart :cool:

He'd hold a bigger place in mine had he been my interviewer. [emoji14]

ambrosse
February 11th, 2015, 10:48
He'd hold a bigger place in mine had he been my interviewer. [emoji14]

We could have created a shrine.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 10:50
I'd bribe with mofongo.

Err, I mean, I'd offer mofongo as thanks for having me.

ambrosse
February 11th, 2015, 10:52
I'd bribe with mofongo.

Err, I mean, I'd offer mofongo as thanks for having me.

I still think those who got shortlisted should make their own ITIL button to wear to JET events.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 11:02
I still think those who got shortlisted should make their own ITIL button to wear to JET events.
Sure, you guys will look great.

Us alternates /non chosen will look on with envy. [emoji16]

ambrosse
February 11th, 2015, 11:06

Oh blah.
You can always make a "JET Wannabe" ITIL button, yes?

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 11:12

Wonder who those people will be..:rolleyes:

Oh blah.
You can always make a "JET Wannabe" ITIL button, yes?

I will show up to pre departure orientation regardless of my JET status (shortlisted, alternate, or other) wearing a button

ambrosse
February 11th, 2015, 11:14
I will show up to pre departure orientation regardless of my JET status (shortlisted, alternate, or other) wearing a button

Way to represent.

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 11:24
amrbosse, if only you were on the east coast (arguably the best coast). The fun we could have had..messing with Zol

I must say, this thread has taken some turn.

ambrosse
February 11th, 2015, 11:36
amrbosse, if only you were on the east coast (arguably the best coast). The fun we could have had..messing with Zol

I could definitely see this happening.

Too bad being a part of ITIL doesn't give us extra points in the interview.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 11:37

If I'm short listed and you are there, I'll be sure to greet you and do the whole "Oh Captain my Captain thing."

ambrosse
February 11th, 2015, 11:38
If I'm short listed and you are there, I'll be sure to greet you and do the whole "Oh Captain my Captain thing."

I won't be in New York, but please greet me in such a way in Tokyo. Being jet-lagged will make it even more amusing.

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 11:41
I won't be in New York, but please greet me in such a way in Tokyo. Being jet-lagged will make it even more amusing.

I'm picturing the meet up to be the most awkward thing imaginable now.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 11:43
Oh, can't be as awkward as my interview! [emoji38]

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 11:44

I see what you did there :lol:

Edit: I dunno, to be a fly on the wall during my interview..the sh!t show you would have witnessed

ambrosse
February 11th, 2015, 11:47

Can't be as awkward as my greeting handshake situation!

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 11:49
It can, it certainly can.

But I'll be laughing "all the way to the bank" if we all make it. [emoji6]

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 11:49
http://i.imgur.com/7eSCGlm.jpg

This is how I picture it went down for some odd reason

Valkerion
February 11th, 2015, 12:07
lol thankfully when the older guy reached out to shake my hand, the other two saw it as the right thing to do too. GOD how awkward it would have been to have to initiate that handshake @.@

Though they did forget to ask me if anything about my application changed since submitting it til I was halfway out the door. IS THAT BAD... IS IT GOOD!?!?!? WAS IT SIMPLE HUMAN ERROR, SOMEONE TELL ME!

Kurisuchan
February 11th, 2015, 12:12
lol thankfully when the older guy reached out to shake my hand, the other two saw it as the right thing to do too. GOD how awkward it would have been to have to initiate that handshake @.@

My friend went into his interview and they were like "Okay, have a seat" and he said he was already approaching their table with an outreached hand and a serial killer smile.
Any awkward handshake couldn't have been too bad. At least you look genki. x3

PuddingHead
February 11th, 2015, 12:14

Two steps ahead of you. ;)

JET-lagged? Eh? Eeeh?

That's basically how I've always imagined it. Just a room full of people silently judging each other.

Aha, yeeeeah, my handshake was weird too. I started walking towards my seat, turned around, said something like, "oh, I should shake your hands!" and then I apologized for my "cold, dead fish hands." A perfect representation of who I am.

A cold, dead fish.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 12:16
A perfect representation of who I am.

A cold, dead fish.

I really doubt that.

Just like I'm sure Lee will be disappointed when he discovers my identity. [emoji41]

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 12:16
A perfect representation of who I am.

A cold, dead fish.

I've found my sig

I really doubt that.

Just like I'm sure Lee will be disappointed when he discovers my identity. [emoji41]

You would have to be some sort of monster for me to be disappointed. Have something you'd like to tell the class..

PuddingHead
February 11th, 2015, 12:25
I really doubt that.

Clearly, we need to Skype some more.

I've found my sig

Ha, wonderful. It's an honor.

You would have to be some sort of monster for me to be disappointed. Have something you'd like to tell the class..

HE'S GREEN.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 12:27

It's established that I'm probably some sort of Eldritch Abomination, as I've been considered a god by some and even told my blood isn't normal. [emoji75]

Edit :

Clearly. [emoji6]

HE'S GREEN.
Lies and slander!

I'm golden!

Like the sun. [emoji41]

miamicoordinator
February 11th, 2015, 12:29
I blame 2 of my friends who got accepted last year and makes me want to go.

I think this goes in the section of stuff i am not supposed to talk about to the general public. I know i am supposed to not go into specifics about the methods on which we score people. Sorry haitch!

Some of what i said in earlier threads may not to be edited or modded.

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 12:39

Puddin, tell me you didn't shatter my dreams of unmasking Zol first?

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 12:42

http://youtu.be/bW7Op86ox9g

miamicoordinator
February 11th, 2015, 12:42

Zol and i are like, fb bffs.

You are slacking hiddenlee :p

PuddingHead
February 11th, 2015, 12:49

I mean, I could say we didn't, but... well, uh, you see, it sort of just... happened?

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 12:50

You are slacking hiddenlee :p

Just reveal yourself to anyone now huh Zol? Playing fast and loose with your identity. I see how it is MC :cool:

Who the heck still uses FB. Get with the times man. It's all about those tweets and the instagrams.

Edit: You didn't even ask me. On a whole 'nother level of offended.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 12:51
I mean, I could say we didn't, but... well, uh, you see, it sort of just... happened?
Puddin', if your goal was to be quoted out of context. Then chances are it's mission accomplished. [emoji14]

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 12:52
Puddin', if your goal was to be quoted out of context. Then chances are it's mission accomplished. [emoji14]

Looks like somebody found their sig.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 12:59
You younglings and your birds and cameras!

PuddingHead
February 11th, 2015, 13:07

Oh, yeah? Well, Zol and I are like, SUPER BFFS 4EVA.

Yeah. :cool:

Edit: You didn't even ask me. On a whole 'nother level of offended.

Right? Are we not good enough for you, MC?

Puddin', if your goal was to be quoted out of context. Then chances are it's mission accomplished.

Quoted out of context? On ITIL? Never.

But if that's how you want to take it, I guess we could try just this once, Zol.

Looks like somebody found their sig.

Two sigs in one night? Life accomplishments, ladies and gentlemen.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 13:10
Two sigs in one night? Life accomplishments, ladies and gentlemen.

I've never been "sigged" before, someone teased me once saying they would, but it didn't happen. [emoji29]

uthinkimlost?
February 11th, 2015, 13:10
this thread is just awful. Bring yourselves to the lounge if you wanna leghump.

PuddingHead
February 11th, 2015, 13:32
I've never been "sigged" before, someone teased me once saying they would, but it didn't happen.

Happy birthday.

I'm not too sure the lounge would take kindly to that.

Zolrak 22
February 11th, 2015, 13:35
Happy birthday.

Aww [emoji173]

Oh, yeah? Well, Zol and I are like, SUPER BFFS 4EVA.

You keep this up and people might start talking. [emoji6]

Oh and poor MCito, you guys got him cornered.

Edit :

In a roundabout way, this thread is about easing applicants nerves.

So all this chatter is on topic. [emoji14]

PuddingHead
February 11th, 2015, 13:40
It's why he ran away.

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 13:41
It's why he ran away.

Couldn't face the truth.

RainbowSheep
February 11th, 2015, 18:14
I wonder how badly you have to do to not get recommended. Like, can nervousness be enough to find yourself on the not recommended list?

haitch40
February 11th, 2015, 18:50
I think this goes in the section of stuff i am not supposed to talk about to the general public. I know i am supposed to not go into specifics about the methods on which we score people. Sorry haitch!

Some of what i said in earlier threads may not to be edited or modded.
Ok. That is fine. I wouldn't want you to get fired.

ambrosse
February 11th, 2015, 22:26
I wonder how badly you have to do to not get recommended. Like, can nervousness be enough to find yourself on the not recommended list?

No clue. I just being personable enough? Or do all the questions need to have perfect coherent answers? I suppose it depends on the people interviewing you.

Penguee
February 11th, 2015, 22:40

My references were mentioned in my interview, so I'm sure that my interviewers looked at them. Does that help?

haitch40
February 11th, 2015, 22:55
My references were mentioned in my interview, so I'm sure that my interviewers looked at them. Does that help?
What as in who were they etc?

ambrosse
February 11th, 2015, 22:56

I honestly don't believe that my panel looked at my references, but I could be wrong.

Penguee
February 11th, 2015, 22:58
What as in who were they etc?

Who they were by and their content. I didn't know their content, of course, but I was happy that I asked the people I did after.

gibbity
February 11th, 2015, 23:01
I honestly don't believe that my panel looked at my references, but I could be wrong.

Im pretty sure my panel didnt look at anything other than a few notes from the Application reader. If they didn't even know before i mentioned it that i had done my senior year as a student overseas, they sure as hell didnt read my SOP or references.

hiddenlee22
February 11th, 2015, 23:48
In all honesty, they probably didn't have the time (especially true with busier consulates). My panel didn't (I did see them flipping through the application though). CIR might be different though (less applicants=more time).

I can't see how the ref letters would count for so much during/after the interview. They're speaking about you to tell the JET people how great you are, it's up to us to prove it during the interview. So Prof. X's recommendation gets you the interview and I think that's about it.

3 copies of everything does make me think those letters are being seen by more than just the DC reviewers and interviewers..

weepinbell
February 11th, 2015, 23:54
No clue. I just being personable enough? Or do all the questions need to have perfect coherent answers? I suppose it depends on the people interviewing you.

Yeaah this is what I'm curious about! I was really personable, but a couple of my answers weren't perfectly worded. Like is that even possible to have perfectly coherent answers when you're so nervous? Those of you who can pull that off must be very talented lol. I'm sure it's very dependent on the panel though like you said... hmm...

haitch40
February 11th, 2015, 23:54
In all honesty, they probably didn't have the time (especially true with busier consulates). My panel didn't (I did see them flipping through the application though). CIR might be different though (less applicants=more time).

I can't see how the ref letters would count for so much during/after the interview. They're speaking about you to tell the JET people how great you are, it's up to us to prove it during the interview. So Prof. X's recommendation gets you the interview and I think that's about it.

3 copies of everything does make me think those letters are being seen by more than just the DC reviewers and interviewers..
True but at the same time the interviewers know that those people know you better than they can in 20 minutes.

ambrosse
February 12th, 2015, 00:07
Yeaah this is what I'm curious about! I was really personable, but a couple of my answers weren't perfectly worded. Like is that even possible to have perfectly coherent answers when you're so nervous? Those of you who can pull that off must be very talented lol. I'm sure it's very dependent on the panel though like you said... hmm...

Same. I was really personable and comfortable with the panel. If I made a mistake or worded something oddly, I just rolled on and acted as though it never happened.

weepinbell
February 12th, 2015, 01:03
Same. I was really personable and comfortable with the panel. If I made a mistake or worded something oddly, I just rolled on and acted as though it never happened.

Exactly! I feel like that's the only thing you can do. I think everyone has little missteps in interviews because of nerves, and for the most part, I think that's just sort of a universally understood thing. I'd think it'd be more about how you deal with the nerves and what they might make you say/do haha. Every time I said something weird I just smiled after I was done like 'I meant to do that :)' hahaha. Or laughed it off, so let's hope the panel was laughing WITH me lol. I guess we'll see how much that counts for!

ambrosse
February 12th, 2015, 01:11
Every time I said something weird I just smiled after I was done like 'I meant to do that :)' hahaha. Or laughed it off, so let's hope the panel was laughing WITH me lol. I guess we'll see how much that counts for!

Being able to laugh at yourself after a mistake is a good trait. To let one dumb thing ruin an otherwise decent interview isn't professional at all.

Verbatim
February 12th, 2015, 07:57
Man, I leave this thread for a minute and all you guys are becoming best friends without me!

ambrosse
February 12th, 2015, 08:05
Man, I leave this thread for a minute and all you guys are becoming best friends without me!

It's never to late! Oh Captain, my Captain!

Zolrak 22
February 12th, 2015, 09:46
Just reveal yourself to anyone now huh Zol? Playing fast and loose with your identity

By the way, if it makes you feel any better:

You'll probably be the first (If any) I meet in person.

So we'll be able to hang out. [emoji41]

Penguee
February 12th, 2015, 10:08
There are no friends....only rivals. *dramatic music*

Zolrak 22
February 12th, 2015, 10:12
There are no friends....only rivals. *dramatic music*
Not when we are in orientation.

And I have this distinct feeling that the only reason they wanna know my identity is so they can "take care of me".

The less competition there is, the better right?

hiddenlee22
February 12th, 2015, 10:14
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

ambrosse
February 12th, 2015, 10:15
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

Exactly.

gibbity
February 12th, 2015, 10:16
or just sit sadly, all alone, and eat spaghetti-Os out of the can in your undies. This has proven effective.

Penguee
February 12th, 2015, 10:17
Now I know why you want to play the Werewolf Game, Zol, for practice. For your future hunt.

Zolrak 22
February 12th, 2015, 10:19
Now I know why you want to play the Werewolf Game, Zol, for practice. For your future hunt.
The beauty of it is you won't even learn my tells. Seeing as I'll be the moderator and all. [emoji75]

Penguee
February 12th, 2015, 10:34
The beauty of it is you won't even learn my tells. Seeing as I'll be the moderator and all. [emoji75]

I see your game! I'm on to you!

hiddenlee22
February 12th, 2015, 10:49

Who says we don't? :cool:

Penguee
February 12th, 2015, 12:02
But yeah, back on topic. There is all some part of our interview that we thought was crap. I was practicing Eiken interviews with my students and they kept freaking out. I realized that I did so many interviews in the past three years, that I'm not even bothered by nervous things they do any more. (Unless they go anooooooooooooooooooo, etoooooooooo) So I'm hoping the interviewers were the same? *positive vibes*

ambrosse
February 12th, 2015, 12:04
Penguin. Give us your interview powers. Tell us all it'll be okay.

Penguee
February 12th, 2015, 12:06
It'll all be okay! Really!

But that only works BEFORE the interview. Sorry. I was slacking.

ambrosse
February 12th, 2015, 12:09
Damn...

Zolrak 22
February 12th, 2015, 12:09
Worst. mentor. ever.

Penguee
February 12th, 2015, 12:14
Worst. mentor. ever.

Well, yeah. You guys didn't ask until after the fact. Like MC said, everything is scored and sent to Tokyo already!

I CAN'T HELP THOSE WHO DON'T HELP THEMSELVES!

lol

ambrosse
February 12th, 2015, 12:15
Well, yeah. You guys didn't ask until after the fact. Like MC said, everything is scored and sent to Tokyo already!

I CAN'T HELP THOSE WHO DON'T HELP THEMSELVES!

lol

Use your magic to give us better scores! :P

Penguee
February 12th, 2015, 12:41
Use your magic to give us better scores! :P

No way, dude. I used all that magic up to bet on the ponies.

And I still lost.

hiddenlee22
February 12th, 2015, 13:13
No way, dude. I used all that magic up to bet on the ponies.

And I still lost.

See what selfishness gets you?

Penguee
February 13th, 2015, 00:03
See what selfishness gets you?

Pssh. You weren't all begging to Zolrak for his Interview blessings? Isn't he some kind of Sun God?

But I hope that we all have good results coming up soon.

ambrosse
February 13th, 2015, 00:07
Pssh. You weren't all begging to Zolrak for his Interview blessings? Isn't he some kind of Sun God?

But I hope that we all have good results coming up soon.

If Zolrak doesn't get shortlisted, we'll riot for sure.

Ambrosse's Daily Interview Concern: I hope I wasn't too casual with my interviewers :/

weepinbell
February 13th, 2015, 00:24

Ambrosse's Daily Interview Concern: I hope I wasn't too casual with my interviewers :/

Lol did we have the same panel or something? I feel like our interview concerns/experiences are very similar... I answered most questions 'professionally' I think? Haha maybe not. I don't know, my panel generally kind of gave off a casual air, and I'm a pretty casual person so I feel like I fed off of that.

hiddenlee22
February 13th, 2015, 00:25

No pressure or anything. :cool:

I faced a similar situation during mine. Showed more personality if anything right? RIGHT?!

ambrosse
February 13th, 2015, 00:38
No pressure or anything. :cool:

I faced a similar situation during mine. Showed more personality if anything right? RIGHT?!

RIGHT?!

ambrosse
February 13th, 2015, 00:48
Just when it's time to settle down with a nice meal, a wave of doubt comes.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1zg5tvyFv1rrdd5mo2_r1_250.gif

The wave of doubt ruins all kinds of moments.

Zolrak 22
February 13th, 2015, 00:53

http://i44.tinypic.com/2i6kto1.gif

ambrosse
February 13th, 2015, 00:55
http://i44.tinypic.com/2i6kto1.gif

http://i.imgur.com/R9lfpWd.gif

Verbatim
February 13th, 2015, 02:40
Just when it's time to settle down with a nice meal, a wave of doubt comes.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1zg5tvyFv1rrdd5mo2_r1_250.gif

Lol yes! The waves of doubt sneak up at the worst possible times. And that is the perfect GIF to illustrate the feeling, lol.

blik
February 15th, 2015, 04:52
In terms of whether or not my panel had read my Application/SOP, I'm pretty positive they didn't, but they did share between them a full page of what looked like very detailed notes about them.

Lianwen
February 19th, 2015, 10:26
I fell in the hallway and couldn't sit down properly in the chair because my skirt suit was too short.

The ALT rep brought a gun to the interview and he and the Japanese professor talked about eating dog in front of me in Japanese.

Dude from consulate slurred his way through his questions. And laughed when I told him my placement preference.

I also had a pretty big error in my SoP.

Swmrgrl
February 19th, 2015, 11:49
I don't know about her interview, but I knew an alternate who came from Vancouver in 2006 who could hardly speak English. She had spent her childhood in Hong Kong and had only just moved to Canada for university. Her accent was very thick, and grammar (when speaking) was poor, and many of the other ALTs in the prefecture couldn't understand her. And she was sent as an ALT...... So we all have a glimmer of hope as far as I'm concerned!

Jiggit
February 19th, 2015, 12:23
Canada

But how on earth could she get past their rigorously professional interview process?

MikeCarter
February 19th, 2015, 12:30
My guess is in 2006 the process was a lot more lenient than it is now. I mean, way back then it was probably as long as you aren't a serial killer and you can point out Japan on a map, you're in.

Zolrak 22
February 19th, 2015, 14:07
I. . .

See?

This is how I know she's always ***** with us.

There's no way that's real.

If it was darling, you'd have your own TV show by now.

Lianwen
February 19th, 2015, 14:11
See?

This is how I know she's always ***** with us.

There's no way that's real.

If it was darling, you'd have your own TV show by now.

Sadly, after numerous attempts and reaching out to MTV, I'm never getting my life TV show.

It really did happen though. I wasn't used to walking in heels and the tailor hadn't finished the job until the day before and had cut the material (I asked him not too) so I couldn't even bring down the hem enough.

I started quoting Taken through the interview, too, which caused the JET rep to laugh hysterically for a good minute because he was the only one who got the quote.

Honestly surprised I got in.

acpc2203
February 20th, 2015, 06:53
They didn't ask me about my placements at all during the interview, maybe because they were pretty banal? (Aka not Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, ect..)

Gizmotech
February 20th, 2015, 07:32
They didn't ask me about my placements at all during the interview, maybe because they were pretty banal? (Aka not Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, ect..)

They probably didn't ask because it shows thought went into the decision.

Jiggit
February 20th, 2015, 08:23
Glad to see this thread has taken a turn for the worst.

Good point. Time for a cleanup.

ambrosse
February 20th, 2015, 09:24

They didn't ask me about my placements directly. I actually mentioned something about living in a small town and the discussion went from there.

Sherlock
February 20th, 2015, 11:15
I started quoting Taken through the interview, too, which caused the JET rep to laugh hysterically for a good minute because he was the only one who got the quote.

Did you tell them you had a very specific set of skills??

BambooTelegraph
February 20th, 2015, 14:55
They asked me. I lied about being engaged to my long distance girlfriend who lived in my placement area. It worked out pretty well...

frayedflower
February 21st, 2015, 12:56

I requested Osaka, Sapporo, and Kobe in that order, plus requested urban all around, and got no questions about it.

x_stei
February 21st, 2015, 13:21
I was asked, maybe as a followup to another question I forgot, whether if I'd be okay with placed in a rural place. One of the ladies read some other paper she had and repeated my requests. Mine were: Ishikawa City, Nagoya and Tokyo...

uthinkimlost?
February 21st, 2015, 13:33
Ishikawa City

Okinawa?

x_stei
February 21st, 2015, 14:16
Oops. I forgot. Kanazawa in Ishikawa ken. =/.

weepinbell
March 5th, 2015, 23:56
Anyone getting antsy again? I haven't thought about my interview for a few weeks and now all the little embarrassing things keep nagging at my brain lol. Just about one month to go.........

ambrosse
March 6th, 2015, 01:03
Meh. I think about it from time to time.

Do I want to go? Hell yeah!
Did I have moments in my interview where I think I messed up or gave a dumb answer? Yup.
Do I have doubts on whether I get chosen or not? Yup.
Is there anything I can do about it? Nope.

All in all, keep yourself busy. If you're still in Uni, enjoy your time. If you're not, get a new hobby (I've taken up ice hockey).
If I don't get in, whelp, then I have back-up plans whether or not I decide to apply again.

Zolrak 22
March 6th, 2015, 02:32

All in all, keep yourself busy. If you're still in Uni, enjoy your time. If you're not, get a new hobby.

Learn to let go, Bell.

http://youtu.be/h-mi0r0LpXo

weepinbell
March 6th, 2015, 03:15

Do I want to go? Hell yeah!
Did I have moments in my interview where I think I messed up or gave a dumb answer? Yup.
Do I have doubts on whether I get chosen or not? Yup.

All in all, keep yourself busy. If you're still in Uni, enjoy your time. If you're not, get a new hobby (I've taken up ice hockey).
If I don't get in, whelp, then I have back-up plans whether or not I decide to apply again.

See I'm going to Japan either way since I have a backup job lined up, but I just wanna find out how I'm getting there ughgh.... I'm in such a stagnant place in my life, it sucks so much lol. Graduated last year, so I've been living at home and saving for making the move to Japan. I think mostly living at home is like my worst nightmare, so I'm so anxious to have a solid out haha. I've been keeping busy for sure, this month will probably fly by because I'm booked solid every single frickin weekend, which is good I guess, because by then hopefully we will know! I'm just super antsy and ready to get the ball rollin....

but yeah, obviously you're right. Definitely what I've been doing for the most part. It sneaks up on me in those quiet moments sometimes. :p

x_stei
March 9th, 2015, 23:40
I'm obsessive. I'm still thinking about it.

Part of me already feels I'm in; I suspect that I want it so much that it's making me feel more confident than anything I've ever pursued before. What sucks is if I don't get in, all these thoughts and the things I've said thus far here will be very, very embarrassing...

Gunjumero
March 9th, 2015, 23:45
I suspect that I want it so much that it's making me feel more confident than anything I've ever pursued before.

Yeah me too

x_stei
March 9th, 2015, 23:52
I'll keep being obsessive about it knowing, at the least, I'm not alone.

Lorenzo
March 9th, 2015, 23:58
Chill out, guys. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel the same - I want this more than anything too - but there's little we can do at this point. And tormenting yourself will only make the wait longer and more intolerable. Throw yourselves into work, uni, whatever you have going on at the moment, and April will come about so much faster and you'll be more prepared to deal with rejection if that's the outcome.

And if it is rejection, so what? Do everything you can to make yourself a better candidate, and apply again next time. That's my plan. I'm sure you've both done well though!

Gunjumero
March 10th, 2015, 00:07
Throw yourselves into work, uni, whatever you have going on at the moment, and April will come about so much faster and you'll be more prepared to deal with rejection if that's the outcome.

Finished Uni in December, finally.

Oh I'm keeping myself occupied that's not difficult. It's not torment, I'm not mentally suffering , simply anticipation.

But thanks for the tips ;)

Now it's being reignited with the early departures announcement but I had stopped thinking about it as much as before these last weeks. It'll probably go away when those for Canada are out and I'll be quiet again until mid April.

Lorenzo
March 10th, 2015, 00:37
Ha, sorry man, I was probably a little patronising - just didn't want you to get anxious! I think the only thing keeping me sane is the horror that is my dissertation.

weepinbell
March 10th, 2015, 00:38
Now it's being reignited with the early departures announcement but I had stopped thinking about it as much as before these last weeks. It'll probably go away when those for Canada are out and I'll be quiet again until mid April.

Haha same!! The fact that some people already know is making me so freaking antsy. It's easy to say 'don't think about it', but it's not like there's an 'off' switch for it lol. Keeping busy is definitely very helpful... and yeah, like you guys I'm kinda already in that 'I'm definitely going' mentality... which I am, since I have that backup, but I'd prefer to go through JET. :p So when I do think about it, I just kinda read ALT blogs/post stuff I'm curious about on here. I mean moral of the story is, this is probably the most intense application process any of us are ever going to experience haha... I guess that's a feat in itself.

Lorenzo
March 10th, 2015, 00:53
I think I'm likely a bit more relaxed as I don't think I got in. My interview went badly. If I do it'll be a very welcome surprise.

hiddenlee22
March 10th, 2015, 01:15
I think I'm likely a bit more relaxed as I don't think I got in. My interview went badly. If I do it'll be a very welcome surprise.

Exactly how I feel. It will be a welcome surprise.

I also bet some friends that if I did get in that I would dance around a specific part of campus naked to a song of their choosing (at the time I was 100% positive I bombed it). Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to that :cool:.

Gunjumero
March 10th, 2015, 01:20
I'm kinda already in that 'I'm definitely going' mentality... which I am, since I have that backup, but I'd prefer to go through JET.

Backup in Japan ? Same field ? Great either way.

Ha, sorry man, I was probably a little patronising - just didn't want you to get anxious! I think the only thing keeping me sane is the horror that is my dissertation.

Oh no, I didn't think you were. I only wanted to make clear that I wasn't bitting my nails in worry and was simply excited to finally learn the verdict as it's something I'm very interested in and invested a good amount of time in.

What's your dissertation about ?

weepinbell
March 10th, 2015, 01:44
Backup in Japan ? Same field ? Great either way.

Yea, at an eikaiwa, but I'm not mad about it. It worked out amazingly perfect with when we find out for JET. If I don't get JET, I found out a placement for the backup in June, and then go in August/Sept. So if I do get JET, no bridges burned which is nice... I'm fb friends with someone who I interviewed with who went over in Feb, and it looks like she's having the time of her life. And the nice part about eikaiwa is that you kind of know what to expect lol. Same placements, apartments, set up, etc. So either way, I think it'll work out pretty well. JET is just something I've wanted to do for a couple years now, so obviously my fingers are crossed!

Zolrak 22
March 10th, 2015, 03:04
Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to that :cool:.

Ho, ho, ho.

Not that I wanna see it happen, but it's nice to know you'll make a fool of yourself. [emoji14]

x_stei
March 10th, 2015, 03:24
Dissertation? Much intense! Such wow!

Good luck!

haitch40
March 10th, 2015, 03:48
Dissertation? Much intense! Such wow!

Good luck!
Doge memes will get you chucked out. :p

I wonder how long you would actually last if you taught English like that.

x_stei
March 10th, 2015, 03:49
Haha Sorry guys, I've been found lol. Now everyone knows I'm super old-fashioned and lame hehe.

Lorenzo
March 10th, 2015, 04:28
Oh no, I didn't think you were. I only wanted to make clear that I wasn't bitting my nails in worry and was simply excited to finally learn the verdict as it's something I'm very interested in and invested a good amount of time in.

What's your dissertation about ?

I'm doing it on the repetition of the father and the Oedipus myth in postmodern literature. Essentially I'm reading the classic Greek text Oedipus Rex and drawing comparisons from that to modern works that are based on Oedipus (Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore is one example), deconstructing ideas of masculinity, fate, objectivity, and then using those readings to suggest some wider ideas about how texts work, what is a text, what is structure, etc. It's a lot of work, but good fun! Though I should've done way more at this point, so it's going to be a stressful couple weeks.

ambrosse
March 10th, 2015, 06:52
I've learned from watching many good friends fall flat in the face of rejection, I remain a pessimist about the entire process.
I initially thought my interview went well, but now I think it was pretty bland. I will keep thinking that way until April and move on with life. If I get in, it's a surprise and I'll be happy. If I get rejected, I won't be surprised at all and feel at peace about it.

I have back-up plans, so I won't be too hurt.

OtherPulse
March 10th, 2015, 08:14
Though I should've done way more at this point, so it's going to be a stressful couple weeks.
So said every third year student ever.

PanormousPanda
March 10th, 2015, 14:49
I'm doing it on the repetition of the father and the Oedipus myth in postmodern literature. Essentially I'm reading the classic Greek text Oedipus Rex and drawing comparisons from that to modern works that are based on Oedipus (Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore is one example), deconstructing ideas of masculinity, fate, objectivity, and then using those readings to suggest some wider ideas about how texts work, what is a text, what is structure, etc. It's a lot of work, but good fun! Though I should've done way more at this point, so it's going to be a stressful couple weeks.

That's actually a pretty interesting dissertation. I'm in the same boat of doing my MA thesis while waiting for this. It's kind of like trying to treat some burned skin with frostbite! Consider the JET interview practice for the defence ;).

RainbowSheep
March 10th, 2015, 19:25
My problem with waiting for results is that I've got hopeful. When I left the interview room I was 100% sure that I'd been rejected there and then, but as the weeks have gone on I've remembered some of the good things I said to the interviewers. Which is going to backfire when I do get the rejection letter.

gibbity
March 10th, 2015, 21:46
Well, let me be the first to reaffirm your suspicion of complete and utter failure. As you know, your feelings while leaving the interview are your most reliable, as no time has passed for you to frivolously add any of that hope to your thinking. It is only cold, blunt, all too true reality at that point. You bombed it. So dont let there be 'backfire' when you get the rejection letter! Anticipate it and when it does show up, add it to the stack of rejections you have already accumulated. One more trophy for the wall, eh?

OtherPulse
March 10th, 2015, 22:25
Jesus Christ.

gibbity
March 10th, 2015, 22:48
Well, in an actually seriousness response, people bound to get re-hyped with the approach of announcements. Just keep on keepin on until april, and we will all be rooting for each other.

weepinbell
March 11th, 2015, 00:00
Obviously I'll be disappointed if I get rejected, but Idk I'm not gonna anticipate it lol. Maybe studying theatre got me used to it, literally 90% of my college career was rejection, and things always worked out the way I think they needed to in the end and it was onto the next thing. Besides, I think we all know how subjective the JET process is - any interview process, really, that's just how it is. I have a feeling we all put ourselves out there to the best of our abilities, showcased our personalities, etc. And that's really all you can do in these situations. So as long as you did that, I think you have the right to feel good about yourself, regardless of if you get accepted.

Zolrak 22
March 11th, 2015, 02:53
Belle, you'll be good either way so no need to worry!

Seriously, if I knew I'd get a job in Japan either way, I wouldn't care about the results xD.

I'd just keep planning with the fact that I'm leaving anyway.

weepinbell
March 11th, 2015, 03:06
Belle, you'll be good either way so no need to worry!

Seriously, if I knew I'd get a job in Japan either way, I wouldn't care about the results xD.

I'd just keep planning with the fact that I'm leaving anyway.

Lol yea that's literally what I'm doing it's been keeping me kinda distracted. It's not as high stakes I guess, but I'd totally be lying if I said I didn't want JET, sooooo! Ya can't beat paid flight/training accomodations.... and the salary.... other one is guaranteed city location which is cool, but it's less pay. I'm not about that paycheck to paycheck life but hey I'll do what I gotta do!

ace370
March 26th, 2015, 05:59
I guess I'm a little late to the party here....I've been more active on JET's Subreddit.

Hiddenlee....I'm not quite sure what went wrong with your interview specifically, but the vibes people gave off once they came out of their interviews made it look like it was hit or miss. I also interviewed in NYC this year, got super nervous before my interview and probably over prepared for it too. I definitely got my first taste of ESID, because they mistakenly skipped my name on the list and I had to wait 2.5 hours for my interview. Needless to say, it definitely threw my game off from what I thought I would be doing to prep for the interview, but I bounced back and it worked out in my favor. If it makes any consolation, I almost blanked on my Japanese assessment part of the interview, and it wasn't pretty, but if I had to do it again, I don't think I'd do anything differently.

I knew a few people being interviewed and a few people doing the interviews this year. The general consensus for the ALT interview was that as long as you had this "Genki" personality during the interview, you will be alright. If they liked you on paper, they just want to make sure that you are the same person that you say you are. Also, it seems pretty hard to tell someone's English speaking ability based off of a 2 page essay. You just need to seem inviting, energetic, and have a positive interest in Japan.

I watched a lot of candidates come and go in that waiting area, and the one's that were somewhat outgoing and friendly all had a good chip on their shoulders, even if they left saying "I should've said this...." or "there was one part that threw me off" I'm sure they will be fine. But there were a few petrified introverts who I had my doubts about. They went into the interview room looking like a nervous wreck and they left looking like a nervous wreck. It could have been the people interviewing them, or it could've just been nerves. Who knows.

Although there was one really cocky dude that stood out in my memories who totally screwed himself in the end. He was in the interview before I got to the embassy, but when he came out, he had this super pervy cocky vibe to him that really rubbed me the wrong way. Anyways, so he leaves his interview and comes back with one of the folks from the embassy. As they get into the waiting area, embassy interviewer extends her hand to shake, but he doesn't see this and keeps walking with this smirk grin on his face. All of us in the waiting room see that he totally misses the gesture and silently give him the look that says "turn around". He does, and she still has her hand extended as if she's waiting for him to walk back to her and reciprocate the gesture. He doesn't, gives her a wave. The embassy lady turns around with a "whatever" look on her face, almost with a snort and walks away. When he asked how he thought he did in the waiting room, I don't remember what he said exactly, but it was something along the lines of "nailed it".

HorseFeathers
March 26th, 2015, 12:19
So I didn't have a terrible interview, per say. Or at least, I felt like I had at the time. I'm an introvert by nature but I've had practice at not appearing so. However facing a panel of strangers is something out of my nightmares. I felt absolutely miserable that whole day. But when I walked into the waiting room I put on my happy face. I also made sure to talk to everyone. Talking helps soothe my nerves too. I picked the brains of the alumni in the waiting room and those of the other participants. I have no idea what I may have appeared on the outside but inside I was a nervous knot.

When I finally went in, my interview went fairly smoothly. But then came one fairly simple question that made me blank. I remember it clearly today- 'What are three things you would bring to Japan (if you could bring anything) to use in your Jikoshokai (self introduction).' I had two perfect prepared answers but absolutely nothing for a third. I fumbled for a few seconds while trying to mentally list everything that was currently in my bedroom. I ended up blurting out the first thing my brain settled on.

My Lumpy Space Princess pillow.

I got a lot of blank stares.

It's like a purple cloud cartoon character. I would bring it... to... show how I like... childish things... because... I like... childish things.

Ugh.

But I made sure to keep smiling. And I didn't leave immediately after my interview either. I stayed for awhile to chat with the other contestants for awhile longer.

I ended up being shortlisted. ;)

x_stei
March 26th, 2015, 12:31
So I made a misplaced post at the Aspiring UK JET Applicants' thread. Here it is quoted:

I made a few mistakes during my interview. When they asked how my trip was driving to Toronto, I sounded like I was complaining and said, "Oh driving here was terrible I didn't get to my hotel until 1am." <- I should NOT have said that! T_T

Also, I completely blanked out when they asked, "How will you be an ambassador for Canada in Japan?" (I saw this question on JET interview preparation lists and never thought about it because I just didn't know how to answer it.) I remember blabbering and at one point saying something like, "I love Japan. I have heard about it for a long time." <- In my mind I'm thinking, "WHAT THE EFF AM I SAYING?!?!?!?!" Seriously, just writing about it makes me feel incredibly embarrassed =( =(.

Also, right before my mock lesson, I was told that I could think about it for awhile. For some reason I thought I could take notes on the blank sheet of paper on the desk in front of me, so I started drawing on top of it with the dry erase marker used for the white board. The two staff members said, "No!" and I immediately thought I made a huge mistake and flipped it over. On the other side were pictures and written Japanese, and then I thought, "Oh crap!" and immediately turned it back over. *sigh*

The mock lesson was not very good. I tried to write "aka" in kanji, but I completely blanked out how to do that, so I wrote it out in hiragana instead. But, perhaps it could have been a lot worse...

Also, when the Consulate lady asked what are some potential problems I might have while living in Japan, I said, "I might have difficulties making friends." The Consulate lady raised her eyebrows straight up and I was quick to dissuade her obvious assumption and said that I would try hard to be active in community events and the like...

The other questions I think I answered well. Just the above things have been bothering me non-stop and I just had to get it out. Sorry guys for commandeering your lovely thread.

Also, I did not shake anyone's hand... at all. EPIC FAIL! </3 </3 </3

weepinbell
March 26th, 2015, 13:14
So I didn't have a terrible interview, per say. Or at least, I felt like I had at the time. I'm an introvert by nature but I've had practice at not appearing so. However facing a panel of strangers is something out of my nightmares. I felt absolutely miserable that whole day. But when I walked into the waiting room I put on my happy face. I also made sure to talk to everyone. Talking helps soothe my nerves too. I picked the brains of the alumni in the waiting room and those of the other participants. I have no idea what I may have appeared on the outside but inside I was a nervous knot.

When I finally went in, my interview went fairly smoothly. But then came one fairly simple question that made me blank. I remember it clearly today- 'What are three things you would bring to Japan (if you could bring anything) to use in your Jikoshokai (self introduction).' I had two perfect prepared answers but absolutely nothing for a third. I fumbled for a few seconds while trying to mentally list everything that was currently in my bedroom. I ended up blurting out the first thing my brain settled on.

My Lumpy Space Princess pillow.

I got a lot of blank stares.

It's like a purple cloud cartoon character. I would bring it... to... show how I like... childish things... because... I like... childish things.

Ugh.

But I made sure to keep smiling. And I didn't leave immediately after my interview either. I stayed for awhile to chat with the other contestants for awhile longer.

I ended up being shortlisted. ;)

LOL. Thanks for posting this, it eases my nerves a little... I doubt they had any clue who LSP was hahaha. But your response sounds like it was an awesome save - I mean, you got shortlisted! I had a similar reach during my interview this year. I was talking about my interest in Japanese horror folklore and one of the interviewers asked 'What is the American equivalent you'd teach over in Japan?' Omg I was so stumped... but when I was listening to the radio earlier that morning, they were talking about The Poltergeist for some reason... so I said I could show Jr/Sr HS kids The Poltergeist, and they all looked kind of confused lolol. As soon as I said it, I seriously got this image in my mind of Japanese kids screaming as I force them to watch this movie. I backed it up saying it introduced me to American horror movies/culture which isn't a lie, I just wasn't expecting that to come out of my mouth... jeeeez! The things we say when we're nervous....

I told everyone in my office about it, so the running joke is if I don't get in it's because they only remembered me as the creepy Poltergeist girl.... what a legacy...

hiddenlee22
March 27th, 2015, 02:08
Although there was one really cocky dude that stood out in my memories who totally screwed himself in the end. He was in the interview before I got to the embassy, but when he came out, he had this super pervy cocky vibe to him that really rubbed me the wrong way. Anyways, so he leaves his interview and comes back with one of the folks from the embassy. As they get into the waiting area, embassy interviewer extends her hand to shake, but he doesn't see this and keeps walking with this smirk grin on his face. All of us in the waiting room see that he totally misses the gesture and silently give him the look that says "turn around". He does, and she still has her hand extended as if she's waiting for him to walk back to her and reciprocate the gesture. He doesn't, gives her a wave. The embassy lady turns around with a "whatever" look on her face, almost with a snort and walks away. When he asked how he thought he did in the waiting room, I don't remember what he said exactly, but it was something along the lines of "nailed it".

So you and I may have been waiting during the same time...
I remember this exact thing happening while I was still waiting for my interview. Guy was oblivious, even with everyone (including myself) telling him to turn the hell around. What day was this?

ace370
March 27th, 2015, 04:32
So you and I may have been waiting during the same time...
I remember this exact thing happening while I was still waiting for my interview. Guy was oblivious, even with everyone (including myself) telling him to turn the hell around. What day was this?

It was Tuesday the 3rd. ( 0_o) OMG what are the odds.....?

moonbeam
March 27th, 2015, 06:32
I said I would bring some sort of American chocolate to as one of the three things to represent myself...and when asked how I dealt with reverse culture shock, I said I spent a lot of time by myself. So...we'll see how that goes.

gibbity
March 27th, 2015, 06:41
oh man... reverse culture shock was a killer for me. Going overseas I was initially fine, i expected just crazy non-stop shit. But coming back and expecting things to feel like home again was a mistake on my part.

moonbeam
March 27th, 2015, 07:16
Going overseas was glorious and I embraced every aspect and change. But then I got home and everything was just wrong. I ended up getting sick because the food was suddenly way worse than what I had been eating for two weeks. It was kind of awful but obviously I bounced back. I just wished I said so in my interview, haha.

hiddenlee22
March 29th, 2015, 04:07
It was Tuesday the 3rd. ( 0_o) OMG what are the odds.....?

Pretty good as it turns out. So did you go in during the afternoon...

simplesam
March 30th, 2015, 14:33
oh man... reverse culture shock was a killer for me. Going overseas I was initially fine, i expected just crazy non-stop shit. But coming back and expecting things to feel like home again was a mistake on my part.

The reverse culture shock doesn't worry me too much. Being Hispanic, I'm pretty used to having to switch between culture modes depending on where I've been most of my life. Although they asked me different things, like what I would do if I met a Japanese person who asked why my name wasn't so "American." One of the panelists even asked me how my name is pronounced (it was the first question, too...). You get used to those kinds of things living in the US, but it still threw me off guard a bit, haha...

Zolrak 22
March 30th, 2015, 14:41
The reverse culture shock doesn't worry me too much.

Viva los hispanos? [emoji14]

simplesam
March 30th, 2015, 16:06
Viva los hispanos? [emoji14]

Que tal, primo! De dónde eres?

Zolrak 22
March 30th, 2015, 16:43
Que tal, primo! De dónde eres?
Puerto Rico, la isla del encanto. [emoji6]

Y tu?

simplesam
March 30th, 2015, 22:33
Puerto Rico, la isla del encanto. [emoji6]

Y tu?

Puertorriqueño, eh? Mí tío es Puertorriqueño.

Puro mexicano aquí. Español y Maya mezclado. Con el favor de Dios, te miro en Tokyo!

Ace
March 30th, 2015, 22:54
Pretty good as it turns out. So did you go in during the afternoon...
(Changed my username)

Yes I did! Fingers crossed for good results today!

mrcharisma
March 31st, 2015, 05:44
You're in Gringo territory here compadre, Spekee the Eenglish.

simplesam
March 31st, 2015, 06:07

Lol, says the guy that wants to go to Japan. 😜

word
April 2nd, 2015, 14:01
I assume mrcharisma is joking; feel free to bust out with Spanish or any other language you guys would like. If we have enough interest, I'd be more than enthusiastic about setting up a Spanish-language sub-forum!

simplesam
April 2nd, 2015, 14:31
I assume mrcharisma is joking; feel free to bust out with Spanish or any other language you guys would like. If we have enough interest, I'd be more than enthusiastic about setting up a Spanish-language sub-forum!

Lol, I was just teasing. But tbh, that sounds like a great idea! Especially since Spanish and it's sister Portuguese are two of the top five spoken languages in Japan!

Zolrak 22
April 2nd, 2015, 16:59
Lol, I was just teasing. But tbh, that sounds like a great idea! Especially since Spanish and it's sister Portuguese are two of the top five spoken languages in Japan!

Eh, I have a feeling we'd be lonely over there.

mothy
April 2nd, 2015, 17:09
Especially since Spanish and it's sister Portuguese are two of the top five spoken languages in Japan!

That's like saying a spoon would be one of the top 5 dinnerware to fight a bear with.

Virgil
April 2nd, 2015, 17:38
I read "... top 5 dinnerbear ..."

haitch40
April 2nd, 2015, 18:28
Eh, I have a feeling we'd be lonely over there.
No you won't. Google translate to the rescue.

And I will say many things that make no sense.

simplesam
April 2nd, 2015, 21:59
When I got interviewed, the panel asked me if I wanted to try out the language test since I put that I knew SOME basic Japanese expressions. After I bombed it (which may be why I'm an alternate even though they swore it wouldn't affect me negatively, lol), the consulate general reassured me that it was okay, especially since I spoke Spanish. According to him, Hispanic populations (read: Brazilian and Peruvian) are large enough in bigger cities that you could get around speaking a Romance language. I've even heard of ALTs teaching Spanish classes at the requests of a community.

Lorenzo
April 2nd, 2015, 23:59
This might be a bit late, since I guess this thread was made to reassure the current cycle of applicants, but for anyone who is applying in the next window, don't give up hope if it doesn't all work out like you envisioned it.

I had a pretty bad interview - I stalled a lot, wasn't confident, gave some nonsensical answers - and I just got shortlisted. I also have a history of depression (and was on medication for a year), no formal teaching experience, and failed a Japanese language course at Uni, but they still let me in. It really is impossible to predict, so stay positive when it comes to that time.

x_stei
April 3rd, 2015, 00:06
Great news! Congrats!

Lorenzo
April 3rd, 2015, 08:18
Thank you!

webstaa
April 3rd, 2015, 08:27
ccording to him, Hispanic populations (read: Brazilian and Peruvian) are large enough in bigger cities that you could get around speaking a Romance language.

There are a couple CIRs throughout the country that help deal with some of those issues as a part of their 'International Relations' duties - there are a couple of prefectures that put out a 'newsletter' of advice/lifestyle instructions in multiple languages. Usually Chinese, Korean, English, and Portuguese.

simplesam
April 3rd, 2015, 09:13
There are a couple CIRs throughout the country that help deal with some of those issues as a part of their 'International Relations' duties - there are a couple of prefectures that put out a 'newsletter' of advice/lifestyle instructions in multiple languages. Usually Chinese, Korean, English, and Portuguese.

My Portuguese is kinda meh, but I wouldn't mind working on it....in Japan, while I should really be working on my Japanese, lol...

Swmrgrl
April 4th, 2015, 11:40
Back to the original topic: I was asked in my interview about how I would explain the difference between Americans and Canadians. I told them that we are very similar, and that most people in Japan probably couldn't tell us apart. Gasp! I got a really weird look from one of the Japanese interviewers, and I thought "I can't believe I just said that"!
Unbelievably, I was short-listed.

Virgil
April 4th, 2015, 13:38
Back to the original topic: I was asked in my interview about how I would explain the difference between Americans and Canadians. I told them that we are very similar, and that most people in Japan probably couldn't tell us apart. Gasp! I got a really weird look from one of the Japanese interviewers, and I thought "I can't believe I just said that"!
Unbelievably, I was short-listed.
I still have a problem being called "American" when differentiating me from all of the other nations that occupy the north and south american continents.

It just doesn't sit right with me.

uthinkimlost?
April 4th, 2015, 13:41
I still have a problem being called "American" when differentiating me from all of the other nations that occupy the north and south american continents.

Colonist?

Virgil
April 4th, 2015, 13:43
Colonist?
A little dated.

uthinkimlost?
April 4th, 2015, 13:49
A little dated.

Americunt?

Ananasboat
April 4th, 2015, 13:55
Perfect.

taysukidesu
April 5th, 2015, 08:51

But literally nobody else from the American continents calls themselves "Americans" except for people from the USA. I honestly can't understand why this is a problem for some people. Though, the people I've met who have argued the most angrily about this were all French though, go figure.
My Canadian relatives recoil in horror when asked if they'd call themselves American, and my friends from Mexico vehemently proclaim that they're Mexican. While obviously I don't know everyone's opinion in North America, it seems to be pretty cut and dry.

On topic: at my interview, I barely had a voice because my allergies had given me the worst laryngitis of my life two days before, and I told them that my "worst day substitute teaching" was the day I had to call security on 8th graders because one boy threatened me physically (pinned me behind the teacher's desk into a corner) and two girls ran out of the classroom to go hide in the bathroom. I literally wanted to die after the words escaped my mouth because I basically threw myself under the bus as the pinnacle of bad teaching, haha. (They shortlisted me, though, so it worked out.)

BifCarbet
April 5th, 2015, 12:01
The name of the country is America. People from the UAE don't call themselves Unitedarabemiratesian and people from the United States of Mexico DO call themselves Mexicans. What else would we call ourselves?

Virgil
April 5th, 2015, 14:11
Yeah, I get that it is the most established term, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

word
April 5th, 2015, 14:42
Yes it does. If you don't then you're godless Commie scum, surely.

BifCarbet
April 5th, 2015, 16:11

word

Zolrak 22
April 5th, 2015, 17:17
Я возмущен , что обвинения , товарищ .