PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring Singaporean JETs 2015

shue
February 16th, 2015, 12:08
Starting this thread coz I don't see any. Anything Singaporeans here? Hello!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enelwai
February 16th, 2015, 18:30
Hello! Aspiring ALT from Singapore here!

laserlight
February 17th, 2015, 15:23
Greetings! Yes, I don't think we had a thread of our own. Until now...

uthinkimlost?
February 17th, 2015, 15:27
Don't worry, lah. You folks are everywhere in JET.

shue
February 17th, 2015, 16:42
Haha are Singaporeans supposed to lie low here? Haha I'm just excitedly awaiting results so I thought it would be nicer to wait with fellow Singaporeans, same timeline ya...

uthinkimlost?
February 17th, 2015, 16:46
Nah, you can announce yourselves if you want. Feel free to join us in the lounge!

johnny
February 18th, 2015, 07:37
Yeah, we're not so bad...mostly.

laserlight
February 18th, 2015, 14:21
Yeah, we're not so bad...mostly.

Ha. Haha. Hahahahaaha

Anyway, where are the other Singaporean applicants hiding?

word
February 18th, 2015, 16:51
Oh a quick warning, tho; don't ever tell a student that she has small eyes. I dunno why but there was a Singaporean ALT who did that a few years ago and made his student cry; he seemed really confused by it.

uthinkimlost?
February 18th, 2015, 17:50
Oh a quick warning, tho; don't ever tell a student that she has small eyes. I dunno why but there was a Singaporean ALT who did that a few years ago and made his student cry; he seemed really confused by it.

Why would anyone say that?

Did he also mention her piggy nose?

word
February 18th, 2015, 19:49
Why would anyone say that?

Did he also mention her piggy nose?It was here on the forum; I can't remember the user but he was all like "I told a student she had small eyes and she cried, wtf?" and we were all like "Dude why would you say that?" and he was all like "It's a compliment in my culture" and we were all like "That's weird but it seems like a pretty bad idea, anyway." If I'm remembering it all correctly, anyway.

JestersJ
February 24th, 2015, 16:25
I'm Singaporean! But.. an American citizen one. I got out of my malay-girl accent around when I was around 12 but can switch between the accents fairly easy.
Good luck!

And lol to the small eye story.

aimlesscomet
February 24th, 2015, 22:24
hi guys, was lurking around. didn't come in much after interview but i kinda got impatient, until i saw this thread. so I guess this will make the wait a lil more exciting. XP so hi! ...there r about 4 or 5 of us here?

shue
February 25th, 2015, 12:36
The small eye story, oh dear I have a meaner one that I will do to friends with small eyes. I will tug the skin at my temples (making slit eyes) and go "Mama you tied my hair too tightly".

shue
February 25th, 2015, 12:39
Aspiring 2015 Singaporean Jets:

JestersJ
aimlesscomet
enelwai
Laserlight
Shue

Did I get that right? It's always more exciting to wait in a group (Aspiring since 2012, it's a long story). This year interviews were a lil early so I'm hoping results can be out by end Mar/early April!

aimlesscomet
February 25th, 2015, 20:21
Since 2012? :/ You are determined man.. Were the interviews earlier this year? Any stats for this year so far? When were all your interviews? *ganchiong*

enelwai
February 28th, 2015, 20:06
My interview was on 20th Jan at 2.40pm! I think I was the last for the day, are the two people before me that I met on this thread as well? Hello y'all!

shue
March 4th, 2015, 11:39
2013: Interviewed 6Feb; Notified 3Apr
2014: Interviewed 4Feb; Notified 15Apr
2015: Interviewed 20Jan. I was at the 9am slot :)
I think my interviews went fine, but my Japanese is not really up to scratch. I could answer the basic stuff but conversation I fumbled quite badly. BUT that's why I want to go Japan -- I do wanna improve my Japanese!

MikeCarter
March 4th, 2015, 11:48
2013: Interviewed 6Feb; Notified 3Apr
2014: Interviewed 4Feb; Notified 15Apr
2015: Interviewed 20Jan. I was at the 9am slot :)
I think my interviews went fine, but my Japanese is not really up to scratch. I could answer the basic stuff but conversation I fumbled quite badly. BUT that's why I want to go Japan -- I do wanna improve my Japanese!

It's my understanding your Japanese ability doesn't really matter. During my interview they didn't even seem interested in it.

You think your Japanese ability is what caused you to not go? Were you put as an alternate for any of those years?

shue
March 4th, 2015, 13:49
I suppose for US/UK where many candidates dont have Japanese ability, it doesn't matter so much, whereas for Singapore where there are many fluent candidates, having good Japanese ability scores you some points and every bit helps, esp coz I don't have a lot of teaching experience

I don't think it was my Japanese ability that decided the results. It was more like I wasn't a super strong candidate and my proficiency in Japanese didn't help to boost my resume. Over the years I've definitely improved on my Japanese and also added in more experiences (I do volunteer teaching work with young kids) to make my resume stronger.

In my first year (2012) I didn't even score an interview. I was on alternate for 2 years. Last year I got upgraded subsequently but due to my financial situation I declined before placement and hence was not blacklisted. I spoke quite frankly about it during my interview and I THINK they were okay with it. I've since sorted it out and really hope I can go this year! I hope tenacity pays off :)

aimlesscomet
March 9th, 2015, 00:04
I was interviewed on 20 jan too! Which means, @enelwai, you weren't the last. : P I was scheduled for 3.45pm, but I arrived early and was ushered in at 3.15pm, jumping ahead of the person supposed to be there earlier. I didn't see anyone at all, so no chance to talk to other applicants at all.

enelwai
March 9th, 2015, 20:05
Haha there wasn't anyone after nor any names after mine on the name list so I assumed I was the last. HAHAHA maybe they had lunch break then XD

laserlight
March 10th, 2015, 01:08
Considering that the Japanese embassy closes from noon to 1:30 p.m. for lunch break, it would be weird for them to have lunch at any other time.

shue
March 24th, 2015, 10:03
Almost the end of March. Getting jittery!

shue
March 31st, 2015, 09:56
Alright here it goes.. Seems like the first wave of acceptance emails has begun over at US & Aust.. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

enelwai
March 31st, 2015, 11:35
So paranoid every time I get an email! All the best everyone!!

shue
March 31st, 2015, 12:29
I'm in im in im in!!!!!
I'm in the middle of a meeting now omg!! It's been a 4 year wait, I'm so glad!!! Good luck everyone!

x_stei
March 31st, 2015, 12:49
Congrats!

enelwai
March 31st, 2015, 15:51
Just got the email! Am an Alternate ): Not sure what to think of it and it feels as if I'm stuck in a limbo waiting for better results.

aimlesscomet
March 31st, 2015, 18:29
I think they are not going to want my help as an language teacher after seeing this... but 'final short-list' means i'm accepted, right?! Right right?!? : / *happy*

shue
March 31st, 2015, 18:32
Just got the email! Am an Alternate ): Not sure what to think of it and it feels as if I'm stuck in a limbo waiting for better results.

Getting stuck in limbo is a pretty sucky feeling, I hope u get the upgrade!

shue
March 31st, 2015, 18:33
I think they are not going to want my help as an language teacher after seeing this... but 'final short-list' means i'm accepted, right?! Right right?!? : / *happy*

I had to read the email twice, screenshot and send to my friend and went "I was accepted, right??" Couldn't think straight haha

aimlesscomet
March 31st, 2015, 18:44
@shue ya lor! I'm like, i'm accepted right? showed my friend and she had doubts... hahahha. oh wells, i guess our email contents are similar, and we have similar interpretations : P

Fantasylife
March 31st, 2015, 20:53
I imagine they have some differing of wording in each country, but shortlist is shortlist in the end, no matter if it says "final" or "awesome to the max" at the beginning.

Congrats!!

Mika
April 1st, 2015, 01:28
Thanks for sharing, and congrats on finally making it(: As for me, it's my first time applying, but got the email this afternoon informing me that I didn't make it. Quite depressed. But I guess there is always next year if I want to.

Just a question, what did you do to beef up your SOP for the years you were an alternate? And your reference letters, were they the same? Or did your referee rewrite them? I have teaching experiences, just not much Japanese.

shue
April 1st, 2015, 09:32
Thanks for sharing, and congrats on finally making it(: As for me, it's my first time applying, but got the email this afternoon informing me that I didn't make it. Quite depressed. But I guess there is always next year if I want to.

Just a question, what did you do to beef up your SOP for the years you were an alternate? And your reference letters, were they the same? Or did your referee rewrite them? I have teaching experiences, just not much Japanese.

This coming from someone who got it on the 4th try. I altered my SOP slightly every year to include new things I had done in the preceding year to beef up my resume. I think they do appreciate that you put in some effort. I went on a homestay in Japan (WWOOF) and also did some volunteer work with kids (KidsRead). I wanted to take up some teaching qualifications but that was too costly + time consuming since I had a full time job.

As for the referrals, it's okay to re-use them (I checked with the Embassy previously). But where possible it's always good to get a fresh one. I didn't want to make my supervisor re-write her recommendation so hers was reused. My new one was from my Jap school. Last year my referral was a very matter-of-fact letter stating I am a student in XX Year, but this year my Japanese teacher was extremely supportive and wrote a strong recommendation for me so I was glad I asked.

Although it took me 4 tries, I'm actually glad coz when I started applying, my Jap was pretty bad and now at least I can do basic communication so to me it's all fated. Don't wait for JET to brush up your Jap! Fluency doesn't happen by osmosis. Start taking up lessons :)

laserlight
April 1st, 2015, 13:54
I did not make it either :(

That said, I was already in two minds because of favourable changes at work since the time I went for the interview, so at least I'm not faced with a tough decision, but it still is kind of sad.

shue: you were accepted previously but rejected the placement yourself due to personal reasons, right? So technically it is not quite a four year wait :p

shue
April 1st, 2015, 23:46
Yeah it's more like a 2 + 1 year self-imposed wait. Waited forever so I'm not superbly excited now haha. Plus work is gonna be crazy right up till end July, have to see the Orientation dates and decide when to quit also...

halvebaked
April 2nd, 2015, 12:49
Hi there!

I am an alternate too :/

Anyway, I have a question. If I would like to confirm my willingness to be an alternate, do I reply to Tina's email? Or am I supposed to mail back the hardcopy forms?

aimlesscomet
April 2nd, 2015, 21:22
Hi there!

I am an alternate too :/

Anyway, I have a question. If I would like to confirm my willingness to be an alternate, do I reply to Tina's email? Or am I supposed to mail back the hardcopy forms?

@shue and I have both replied.. we're supposed to confirm our addresses. we both forgot, kinda >.< i suppose without a confirmation of address, she can't mail us anything..?

shue
April 2nd, 2015, 21:54
Yup just be polite and reply to thank her for the email, then wait for the hard copy to come in :)

enelwai
April 7th, 2015, 21:30
Hi all! I just got the snail mail from the embassy.

Anyone knows if the mail is supposed to include the reply form? Or if we're supposed to print out the form from the email and mail it back? All I got in the mail was the original letter stating I'm alternate :/

aimlesscomet
April 7th, 2015, 22:22
exactly! i was like waiting n waiting for all the hard copy forms etc. before i saw that it was just a small envelope O.o I thought what I understood was that there would really be a physical reply form. oh wells.

just got it today too, btw... snail mail indeed, delivered a week after we got our notices via email : P

rinforest
April 11th, 2015, 21:10
Hi fellow Sgeans! Super kaypoh dai-senpai here who enjoys getting to know newbies ^^
If you have any questions about the post-acceptance process/packing/what you will miss most from home, feel free to ask!

enelwai
April 21st, 2015, 11:19
I just got the upgrade call from Tina this morning! I'm nearly in tears!!

laserlight
April 22nd, 2015, 04:49
Congratulations, enelwai! :)

halvebaked
April 22nd, 2015, 20:00
Hi enelwai! congrats! i was an alternate too and subsequently got upgraded :)))
hope we can get gd postings :)

enelwai
April 22nd, 2015, 22:09
Congrats to you too halvebaked! Now to put a face to everyone here hahaha

aimlesscomet
April 27th, 2015, 21:12
Hi all, @shue, @halvebaked and I are already on watsapp, texting each other silly concerns and messages. I know @halvebaked has contacted @enelwai as of now, if there are any others lurking around, please pm any of us, can add you to the group : D

And @rinforest, wanna join us?

rinforest
May 2nd, 2015, 19:35
Hi all, @shue, @halvebaked and I are already on watsapp, texting each other silly concerns and messages. I know @halvebaked has contacted @enelwai as of now, if there are any others lurking around, please pm any of us, can add you to the group : D

And @rinforest, wanna join us?

Whatsapp? Lol so 懐かしい! In Japan we're pretty much all using Line, so I highly recommend everyone getting Line too. If you guys start a Line group add me. I'll pm you my Line ID aimlesscomet :)

majyo
September 28th, 2015, 19:20
hello senpais...
is anyone still around in this thread? anyone willing to read my SOP please? I've had a couple of friends read it already but if anyone wants to nit-pick on my grammar, help please~

thank you!!!

Lost Bunny
September 29th, 2015, 11:15
Hi, any aspiring 2016/2017 Singaporean JETs here?

@Seniors from Singapore: Would you know if any foreign graduates / those who did the Poly route before being chosen for the programme? I understand our country consider grades and university (preferably the 3 local uni) at face level :(

majyo
September 29th, 2015, 18:46
Hi, any aspiring 2016/2017 Singaporean JETs here?

@Seniors from Singapore: Would you know if any foreign graduates / those who did the Poly route before being chosen for the programme? I understand our country consider grades and university (preferably the 3 local uni) at face level :(

me! I'm applying this year! Hello there! :)

shue
October 13th, 2015, 12:09
Hello, 2015 JET here. Am revisiting the forums coz one of you found me on Facebook. I'm not the most experienced person around but feel free to ask me questions :)

amyy
October 26th, 2015, 00:25
Hi, sorry for if this is a noob question. I have always been reading the Jet info from Singapore's Jap embassy, and that the two copies for everything that's needed, it's photocopies right? For example, the letters of references. For other countries I read that the letters have to be signed and sealed in an envelope so I suppose they needed three 'original' letters from one reference. For Singapore there's no need for that right? Same goes for transcripts and documents for graduation... Do we need to apply for 3 transcripts or just one then photocopy?

Sorry again :P

enelwai
October 29th, 2015, 11:29
Hey Amyy, yes everything in the other 2 sets should be photocopies. My professors gave me the letters in sealed envelopes and I had to open them up and photocopy. For transcripts, just order one and photocopy 3, go to the school and certify them as true copies -- so you'll end up with 1 original, 2 certified copies for JET, and 1 certified copy for yourself. It's always a good idea to keep one copy of the application for yourself haha. If you did any study abroad and student exchanges, be sure to include those transcripts too!

p/s i think a lot of us moved away from ITIL to facebook and other platforms haha, so you might not get answered here too frequently... All the best though!

amyy
October 29th, 2015, 15:01
Thank you so much enelwai!!! It was a very detailed and helpful answer because I wanted to ask if our reference letter had to be sealed too (in some countries the reference have to give 3 sealed envelopes).

I am following the Facebook page as well as the wordpress, but didn't know where it'll be appropriate to post my queries. I thought it would be weird and intrusive to just suddenly post the question on Facebook. So am really thankful for your reply!!! Thank you (:

altonesax
January 1st, 2016, 13:34
Hello!! Am I too late to join this thread......? Aspiring 2016 here!