PDA

View Full Version : Why Japan? How did/will you answer?

Virgil
February 17th, 2015, 12:40
I've been asked this a lot since my arrival. I find it a rather difficult question to answer, as I don't really have a good answer. I just wanted to travel and Japan was a somewhat arbitrary decision. I've been influenced by Japanese media like video games throughout my life, but that's not a good reason to live in a country, and it's definitely not my reason.

So how did/will you answer this question?

uthinkimlost?
February 17th, 2015, 12:44
"Why not?"

Jiggit
February 17th, 2015, 12:44
Whatever you decide on, emphasise your desire to learn new things and discover stuff. If you want to talk about specific interests, talk about them as things that piqued your interest in the country as a whole.

You really want to avoid giving the impression that you want to come to Japan for a very specific thing that you've built up to be more than it is.

MikeCarter
February 17th, 2015, 12:53
"I want to become a ninja."

uthinkimlost?
February 17th, 2015, 12:54
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhyths6zpn1qf7vero1_500.jpg

gibbity
February 17th, 2015, 13:09
/thread

mothy
February 17th, 2015, 15:30
A promise I should have broken.

Zolrak 22
February 17th, 2015, 15:33
Man, I'm not afraid to admit it.

If ninjas were like in the movies, I wouldn't hesitate to become one.

Even if I end up dying at the hands of a lone warrior out for revenge.

word
February 17th, 2015, 18:53
https://seejanedeal.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/yellowfeverdar.png

Gizmotech
February 17th, 2015, 22:06
Why did you come to Japan:

Well, once a long time I had a rambunctious night alone with a slantyeyed gal. I didn't know where she came from, but when I threw the dart at the Asian map, it landed on Japan so here i am!

word
February 17th, 2015, 22:59
Why did you come to Japan:

Well, once a long time I had a rambunctious night alone with a slantyeyed gal. I didn't know where she came from, but when I threw the dart at the Asian map, it landed on Japan so here i am!word; once you get a taste of that sideways va-j-j, you'll nevar settle for less.

Virgil
February 18th, 2015, 09:37
Since we're on the subject, one of my former students in the US told me before I left "Mr *****, are you going to get you some of that sideways PU&*@"

He is 12 years old...

word
February 18th, 2015, 09:48
I assume you responded with a hearty, "F*ck yeah I am."

Virgil
February 18th, 2015, 11:00
I just smacked him upside the head. His comments usually deserve that.

JestersJ
February 24th, 2015, 16:19
I described it in this way when I was asked during my trips and study abroad. I was a military brat with a family that was stationed in Japan for 9 years. But I was stuck on a military base, kind of got to see Japan through closed gates since my parents were often busy and I was too young to venture off on my own. My last 3 years in Japan(stationed in Sasebo) I was old enough to be allowed to leave the bases and even though the people are... interesting, I enjoyed my time. I only got to learn Japanese on a very basic level despite liking language, etc. So it was really just to experience Japan again, more culture and finish learning the language.
Besides, mother's side is from Singapore and I often spent my time in east Asia even after finally moving to the U.S. I'd just rather Japan than Singapore. Singapore is just.. a crowded mess now.

Ini
February 24th, 2015, 16:37
I described it in this way when I was asked during my trips and study abroad. I was a military brat with a family that was stationed in Japan for 9 years. But I was stuck on a military base, kind of got to see Japan through closed gates since my parents were often busy and I was too young to venture off on my own. My last 3 years in Japan(stationed in Sasebo) I was old enough to be allowed to leave the bases and even though the people are... interesting, I enjoyed my time. I only got to learn Japanese on a very basic level despite liking language, etc. So it was really just to experience Japan again, more culture and finish learning the language.
Besides, mother's side is from Singapore and I often spent my time in east Asia even after finally moving to the U.S. I'd just rather Japan than Singapore. Singapore is just.. a crowded mess now.

Boss Word: Boss Ini! What is the meaning of this outburst? This is a time for celebration.

Boss Ini: And what exactly are we celebrating? The perversion of our illustrious council?

Boss Jiggit: Ini, have you gone mad? I will not tolerate this! You're disrespecting our sister! Apologize!

JestersJ: Ini-san, of what perversion do you speak?

Boss Ini: My father...along with yours...and along with yours, started this website. And while you laugh like stupid donkeys, they weep in the afterlife over the perversion committed today.

Boss Uthinkimlost: Outrageous! Ini, it is you who insults this council!

[Throws rag at him]
Boss Uthinkimlost: Bastard!

Boss Ini: [Throws rag back] Fuck face!

JestersJ: Gentlemen! Ini obviously has something on his mind. By all means, allow him to express it.

Boss Ini: I speak of the perversion done to this website... which I love... more than my own children, by making a Singaporean Jap-American half-breed bitch its leader!
[JestersJ runs across the table and cuts off his head]

mothy
February 24th, 2015, 16:52
I'm not sure what I missed but it sounds awesome.

Ini
February 24th, 2015, 17:07

Virgil
February 24th, 2015, 17:22
Bravo.

JestersJ
February 24th, 2015, 17:32
I'm not sure what I missed but it sounds awesome.

I was about to say the same thing.

Satori Shinobi
March 1st, 2015, 15:51
Got bored sitting in the office today after the graduation ceremony, I came up with this answer:
むかしむかし、あい知った。でも今、私の心で分かれ。私の愛が生き残るでしょう。

mothy
March 1st, 2015, 17:01
And then killed yourself?

Zolrak 22
March 1st, 2015, 18:45
Something about love once upon a time?

Come on man!
It's not like we are all trying to work in Japan.

We shouldn't be forced to know their language!

Satori Shinobi
March 1st, 2015, 23:45
You make me smile and giggle in ways that others couldn't XD

mrcharisma
March 2nd, 2015, 04:59

You have the biggest J-go micropenis I've ever had the pleasure to treat with utter derision.

Satori Shinobi
March 2nd, 2015, 07:40
You should really go see a doctor about that stick that's been jammed up your anus...it might be a serious medical issue.

Ini
March 2nd, 2015, 08:27
Got bored sitting in the office today after the graduation ceremony, I came up with this answer:
むかしむかし、あい知った。でも今、私の心で分かれ。私の愛が生き残るでしょう。

Touching, I came up with something similar
心にある壁には
口では説明のできない
いろいろな物語が書かれている
僕はちゃんと心を開いたままでいる
でももう何日も
そこはカラッポのままなんだ

mothy
March 2nd, 2015, 08:35
You should really go see a doctor about that stick that's been jammed up your anus...it might be a serious medical issue.

SatoricalShinobi, you're new here so this is just letting you know that we strive to be loving to people of all sexual persuasions here at ITIL.

Jiggit
March 2nd, 2015, 08:40

You'd better not be a dude, dude.

Satori Shinobi
March 2nd, 2015, 10:54
My true identity shall forever remain a mystery even to myself.

gibbity
March 4th, 2015, 03:50
A strong evasive maneuver.

BeckyJones
March 4th, 2015, 09:49
Why Japan? I was balls deep into a daughter of Yamato.
The JET committee liked that answer enough, so to Japan i went.

uthinkimlost?
March 4th, 2015, 09:52
I was balls deep into a daughter of Yamato. The JET committee liked that answer enough, so to Japan i went.

Amazing that 1.5 cm provided enough traction to get you here.

BeckyJones
March 4th, 2015, 09:56
Amazing that 1.5 cm provided enough traction to get you here.

which is why I call him the Spanish inquisition.
no one suspects him.