PDA

View Full Version : Taxes Questions

aragorn
February 18th, 2015, 09:14
I'm a first year ALT looking for information about filing American taxes before the deadline on April 15. From what I have read, the JET programme website has only information about how to file Japanese taxes and exemption forms. I also tried searching ITIL for 'taxes' and 'tax' but couldn't find anything.

mothy
February 18th, 2015, 09:19
U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad (http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad)

coop52
February 18th, 2015, 15:06
You don't have to file for a while yet. There's a good guide out there by Kumamoto (I think?) AJET. Google "JET taxes" and it should come up.

webstaa
February 18th, 2015, 15:17
KumamotoJET (http://kumamotojet.com/U-S--Taxes.php) mades guides pretty much every year. This years is fine, except it leaves out the proper ACA exemption - you can't claim coverage straight up, you have to put in a Form 8965 and claim exemption "C" (Physical Presence Test.)

Basically, your tax schedule looks like this: You get an extra 2 months to file automatically for moving overseas (Form 8822 before April 15.) Then you need another >2 months (General Extension - Form 4868) to pass the Physical Presence Test to be able to claim the Foreign Income Exemption (Form 2255.) Get your Japanese and American paperwork together, and use something like taxact.org (free basic tax prep, with all the forms you need for free, as well as free e-file (States and complicated deductions cost extra.) You'll end up with an actual deadline of something like October 15, 2015 for your return.

greyjoy
February 18th, 2015, 15:46
I've seen "automatic" two month extension in a few places, but I didn't see a form number. Do we have to send in form 8822, or did we do that already before coming? It's hardly automatic if I have to do something to get it.

coop52
February 18th, 2015, 17:43
Whatever form you had to fill out before coming lets you have the automatic extension. You can do the extension form if you want, for peace of mind, but it isn't necessary.

webstaa
February 19th, 2015, 08:34
I've seen "automatic" two month extension in a few places, but I didn't see a form number. Do we have to send in form 8822, or did we do that already before coming? It's hardly automatic if I have to do something to get it.

You get 2 months extra for living outside of Japan (meaning telling the IRS you're living outside of Japan) - which means 8822. You have to send that in before April 15. That gives you until June 15 to submit your taxes. Which is a few days too early for a lot of JETs (Arrive July 28? You're JUST over the 35 day (365-330=35) days not needed for the Physical Presence Test - so then you can submit the 4868 for an extension until October 15. Note - you only put the form in ONCE. From then on, the IRS knows you live outside the US and you get until June 15 every year. (Hence 'automatic.' - Think automatic in the same way as a car transmission, put it in drive once and it'll work for you until you change it...)

In fact, you can submit your 8822, and then the 4868. Fill out the rest of the forms and then just sit on them until you pass the Physical Presence Test and then e-file the rest.

(After the first year, you shouldn't be getting anything back unless you have a source of income in the US. But you shouldn't owe anything to the US either, unless you have a lot of untaxed income coming from somewhere in the States.)