PDA

View Full Version : What are judges looking for? What are my chances? NEWB

evangelionpunk
May 23rd, 2004, 17:34
Hi all.

I have some questions that i cant find the answers to anywhere.

So i searched and found this group and i hope u can all help me.

*Whats life like? Whats the hardest thing to get used to?

*Hows the pay in relation to living costs?

*Give some common daily living costs? Transportation, food, gym etc.

*Is there a better way and more pay than JET?

*Anyone gone together with a friend and stayed together? The
likelihood of this? Me and friend want to go together.

*What about rent? How much and what do u get(pics and links would be
great)?

*How much money should i have before I leave to JAPAN?

*Is the rent subsidisied or company etc?

*How much have u managed to save(from the pay/salary in 1 yr)?

*How are u treated by the local people?

I have tried asking but i dont seem to be getting an answer to below
either:

* I have finished university degree. Have studied Japanese Language
and customs upto Cert 4 + University 3 units. I have done Japanese
martial arts eg Kendo and Karate have certificates. I have been member
of other clubs eg ANIME etc. I have passed and gained CELTA
qualification. My skills in english are fine.

WHAT are my chances of acceptance??
What are the judges looking for specifically?
What of my stats do u think actually count?

Thank you all very much.

PS Im sure I'll find more questions to ask later. But I am definately
going to apply.

joe
May 23rd, 2004, 18:46
WHAT are my chances of acceptance??
What are the judges looking for specifically?
What of my stats do u think actually count?

a) high I would imagine
b) the kind of thing you are talking about
c) all of them!

You sound pretty qualified to me!

ps. can't really answer the other questions yet

evangelionpunk
May 23rd, 2004, 19:04
thnx joe.

MORE INPUT REQUESTED FROM REST OF MEMBERS.

PLEASE.

joe
May 23rd, 2004, 19:13
*Is there a better way and more pay than JET?

JET is well paid, I haven't heard of anything better (especially with the free flights etc that we get)

Lesley
May 23rd, 2004, 20:43
*Hows the pay in relation to living costs?

It really depends where you get placed. If you do your research you could specify three of the cheaper areas to live and you'll get a lot more for your money.

From what I've heard the cities are more expensive and you tend to have a lot less space (housing-wise) but you could save some money by shopping in the larger shops. Rural houses tend to be bigger and cheaper but shopping and travel are less convenient and more expensive.

I'd recommend looking for a particular region that you'd like to work in and then asking JETs from that area about their living losts (if you get the placement you might even take over their old home anyway).

As for your qualifications, you'll have no problem! You better qualified than me and I got accepted :D

Good luck if you decide to go for it!

evangelionpunk
May 23rd, 2004, 20:59
thnx a lot lesley.

I have been worrying about whether I am qualified enough and what they might look for.

Can people suggest some places to live in?
*I would like decent sized living
*Well placed near shopping, hospital, trains etc
*Nice places not ugly like Tokyo
*I could save money.

Thnx all.

ALSO could some whom have been accepted perhaps state their qualifications etc?

adammoogle
May 23rd, 2004, 21:08
i am totally unqualified and out of my depth...hope that helps :)

Chiara
May 23rd, 2004, 21:09
You'll find that a lot of people on this site wont be much help to you at the moment as we're mostly all newly accepted JETs - ie going out this summer. bigdaikon.com has more people who are already out there, and has a myriad of posts just like yours which you can scan back through to get answers...

As for qualifications, I have a university degree in a totally non-teaching related subject (Meteorology), no teaching experience whatsoever, and only rudimentary Japanese. And I got in! It seems to be more to do with your motivation for going to Japan, being able to show an active interest in Japanese life and culture, a broad and open mind, and the ability to adapt to new situations than actual teaching experience.

I would say that you need a relatively good command of the English language to get accepted (there are a few tests at the interview stage), but, having been on this board for a little while I would say that doesn't seem to be the case with a lot of people! *ducks and runs*

llumynia
May 23rd, 2004, 21:36
i'd reeeeaaaallllly not reccomend the stuff about Anime club or anything about Anime for that matter on your application or interview. That's like saying "I know about cartoons in America so I know about America!!!" Which is something not very real/not very professional. I know at least two people at my university who wanted to go to japan because they liked anime and were vocal about that... neither of them are going....

evangelionpunk
May 23rd, 2004, 21:41
Hi

Sorry if i might not have explained it properly.

However I am a member of other clubs as well eg ANIME CLUB, KENDO, KARATE, HYOGO CULTURAL CENTER LIBRARY, etc.

I am only stating it not that I will be stressing anime because I am not going to JAPAN for the Anime. Heheh.

Thnx

How about u guys/gals tell me what your opinions are on my suitability and chances of acceptance and then compare it against your own qualities???

maybe.

llumynia
May 23rd, 2004, 21:56
okay, I mean, it really has nothing to do with qualifications... Maybe a little bit... but let's see. I have a friend who knew ABSOLUTELY nothing about Japan, no language, never been to Japan no nothing. He was a Criminology major, no teaching experience, nothing. He wanted to go to japan and teach because they thought it "sounded like fun". He was fresh out of college then. He got in.

I have oodles of teaching experience, have some language experience, have been to Japan 3 times, know some about the culture. I was an Environmental Science and Education Major. I'm not fresh out of college, I've been teaching for the past few years. We're completely different. I got in too.

It really has to do with your personality, ESP in the interview. Be genki, be knowledgeable, be yourself.

And about the anime... just don't put it on your app, that's all I was saying.

evangelionpunk
May 23rd, 2004, 22:03
ahh okay thanks

IowaJET
May 23rd, 2004, 23:23
According to "the Rules" I did everything wrong.
1. I didn't know anything about Japan before the interview- if they had quizzed me I would've been sunk. (I'm tryng to fix this now...) 2. I talked about anime and how I've used manga in my drawing class at my interview. 3. I don't speak Japanese at all.
I got in.

WuTAN
May 23rd, 2004, 23:29
there's nothing wrong with putting down your interest for anime on your application... i'm not sure why you felt the need to stress that point.
if you enjoy anime, then you should write a sentence on it's relevance to your application. i mentioned anime on my essay and i still got the job... they won't throw out your application simply because you have 'anime' written somewhere on it!

MarineBoy
May 24th, 2004, 08:12
From what I have read most consulates have a different interview style.

I was interviewed by the Melbourne/Australian consulate.

The interview letter stated that I may be asked questions in Japanese and I was. I was also asked about teaching plans, how to control a class, race riots in Australia, Japanese politics and a few other off the wall questions.

Apparantly in other o/s consulates some people were asked to sing! 8O

I would find someone that was interviewed at the consulate where you will be - this way you may know what your in for (and you can work on singing voice :wink: ).

Dynamis
May 24th, 2004, 17:52
I think its possible to be OVERqualified for JET. They aren't really looking for qualifications, and they arent recruiting teachers (hence the schools sometimes complain a bit later on..)

What they really want is outgoing people who wont crack under culture shock, and who will leave a good impression in Japan, then return and spread good stuff about Japan back home.

This is just my opinion, but I dont think they really want Japan-Lifers, or Educational professionals, or stay at home otaku's.

Thats not to say that these things will disqualify you. I'd just advise against stressing them at the expense of other stuff. Make it clear you're a well rounded, stable, flexible individual with an interest in Japan and you should do fine.

Of course, I was only shortlisted by the skin of my teeth, so I could be spouting complete bovine defecation.

Sinbad
May 24th, 2004, 20:35
On the flip side of this.. one of my friends DID have lots going for her in terms of what JET are looking for; eg, Degree, teaching experience, out going attidude, loads of overseas living experience, a healthy interest in Japan, etc, but as it happened, she didn't get on.

From what I've seen, it seems to be about a 50% chance that someone will get on JET. In the last 4 years I have know 6 people to apply for JET, all with (in my opinion) lots going for them, and half have been rejected. It's really hard to say exactly what they are looking for, because, most of these people had pretty much the same credentials and attidudes.

so.... you just take your chances.

feenix
May 25th, 2004, 01:45
You may want to start a thread on the Eikawa forums. There are several people floating here at this site who have decided to teach through private organizations such as AEON, GEOS and NOVA...