PDA

View Full Version : Changing Decisions After Signing Your Contract



jigglypuff
February 19th, 2015, 15:50
Hello,

I have a question I was hoping someone out there might have information about or helpful experiences.

If you already signed your contract to not accept reappointment, is it possible to request to change your decision, and instead stay for another year? Or rather, is it reasonable to request it? Especially since it's still only mid-February? I've seen many posts about people breaking contract early, however I haven't been able to find anything about it going the other way around.

At the beginning of the year I signed my contract to not accept reappointment, but now due to many unforeseen circumstances I've been forced to reconsider the things I had set up for the future. One of the options I've been thinking about is the possibility of trying to stay one more year .... is it even worth asking?

Thanks so much for your time and consideration!

word
February 19th, 2015, 15:53
You might try, but I suspect it's too late now.

uthinkimlost?
February 19th, 2015, 15:55
Make your decision now and beg forgiveness.

Things are already in motion for you to go. It is possible that they can stop it, but they'll need time and a reason to keep you. The longer you wait, the less likely it becomes.

If I were them, I'd be suspicious that you'd change your mind again. Have an answer ready.

johnny
February 19th, 2015, 16:09
Good luck.

Ini
February 19th, 2015, 17:15
It'll fuck the budget up a bit (which at this point in time has cleared the BOE, cleared the treasury and may have already cleared the council and been signed off by the mayor) but seeing as they will end up with more cash rather than less doing that way round they might not care. It'll depend on how far down the rabbit hole with agreeing to take a new ALT they are. Luckily I dont associate with JET BOEs so I'm not sure on the processes, deadlines and costs they have to deal with.

BifCarbet
February 19th, 2015, 23:05
I did it.

It was right after the disaster though, and they were worried people wouldn't agree to my city. It may not have worked otherwise, but they did seem really relieved, like they could close the book on a major pain in the ass. Couldn't hurt to try.

Gizmotech
February 20th, 2015, 10:11
I've heard of it before, but only at the city level. I knew a few people who tried it at the prefecture level and they were quite happy to just keep the train goin.

Like Ini said, they are already knee deep in dealing with budgets for your successor, making all types of official requests for them, and dealing with a metric shit ton of paperwork (as per usual in a japanese office)

Virgil
February 20th, 2015, 12:07
Like Ini said, they are already knee deep in dealing with budgets for your successor, making all types of official requests for them, and dealing with a metric shit ton of paperwork (as per usual in a japanese office)

No shit. I feel bad that my pred quit because getting me in the mix seems to be a royal pain in the ass for everyone involved. Including me.

catamongthepixies
February 20th, 2015, 16:00
I do know it has happened before, but it was a local placement (not prefectural) and the BOE was willing to jump through all the hoops to get the ALT back because they really liked them.

jigglypuff
February 23rd, 2015, 16:36
Hello everyone, thanks again for your advice and warm wishes.

Last Friday, after explaining my situation to my JTE’s, I spoke to them about the possibility of changing my decision and staying another year—they were all shocked but really happy and relieved. They spoke to my Kocho-Sensei and Kyoto-Sensei immediately afterwards, who were also both really supportive and brought it up to my BOE (prefectural level). Today (Monday), I found out that my request has been accepted and I’ll be staying another year! Since my BOE already sent their request for new ALTs to CLAIR, there’s a bit of paperwork that needs to be filed, however I think only a small portion of that will actually trickle down to me and my school. I am going to have a meeting with my Kocho-Sensei and Kyoto-Sensei later today to reiterate my situation and confirm my intent (and apologize, perhaps forehead-to-the-floor style. I’m already looking up brownie-recipes for a small thank-you gift hehe).

So yes, I’ll be staying another year! My sincere thanks to you all again :)

word
February 23rd, 2015, 18:13
Awesome! Congrats; glad it all worked out for ya. Hope we haven't seen the last of you, either; we'd love to see you hang around the forum for a while!

webstaa
February 24th, 2015, 08:18
I'd like to add that the deadline for ALTs to sign (I think it was Jan 15th?) really doesn't mean that much. The BOE has a deadline for paperwork to be sent to CLAIR, and as long as they have that paperwork in on time it doesn't matter they have you sign that form. My 'interview' was late this year due to cancelled classes, teachers out from the flu, and the Principal having business trips for the first 3 weeks of January.

I let my BoE know my decision, and they let me know they'd stop by with the paperwork once they had everything together. Signed (I don't even thing it was pre-dated) and that was that.