PDA

View Full Version : Japanese weather

weepinbell
February 20th, 2015, 01:08
So we all know "Japan has four seasons". But I always hear weather in Japan sucks except for 2 months of spring and fall. I'm sure location plays a factor, but what do you guys think? I'm just kind of wondering how Japan stacks up since I've heard from so many people to be really prepared for ice cold winters and sweltering summers... I feel like where I'm from has given me pretty thick skin with god awful weather, but who knows? I guess there's always monsoon season to look out for, right? :)

Ode to a Grasshopper
February 20th, 2015, 06:54
Depends on where you get placed. As a general rule the more North you go, the easier the summers but the more horrible the winters, vice versa for South. The climate ranges from 'temperate' in Hokkaido to 'tropical' in Okinawa.
I'll second the 'winter and summer sucks' bit though.

The other thing is that climate change is really screwing around with the seasons here. It's the tail end of winter and we're still getting snowfalls here in Osaka, which normally you only get late December to mid January if at all.

coop52
February 20th, 2015, 09:36
My Japan has both hot, humid summers and crappy, cold winters thanks to Sea of Japan to the north and the mountains south of us. A couple of teachers at my school are from Tokyo, and they pointed out that it's a lot darker and cloudier here in the winter than it is in Kanto. I'd recommend getting one of those special lamps if you have seasonal depression.

Penguee
February 20th, 2015, 09:53
Rainy season sucks. The only place that doesn't get it is Hokkaido. Rainy season, I wrongly assumed, was rain for a straight month. (Japan has four seasons, my eye, it's got five, dang it!)
Nope. Nope. You get nasty grey skies for a full month and sometimes get a glimmer of sun. If it were raining, I'd feel more justified in the grey, but nope. It doesn't always rain. It's also so nasty and humid outside (80-90%) it feels like you're swimming when you're walking. Ugh.
Summer has nasty points and really nice points. In fact, after rainy season, you tend to not care how hot and nasty it is as long as you can see the sun, so there's that.
My winters are super mild. I'm lucky to have a good spot in Japan right now. Last year we had snow every single February weekend, and this year we've only had huge snowfalls a couple of times. I'm totally lucky Tohoku-location wise. Also, winter is not very cold at all. I'm used to New England cold, and here is a piece of cake.
Hokkaido winter was a piece of cake, too (cold wise). I was surprised by the snow, but New England is WAY colder.

Gizmotech
February 20th, 2015, 10:05
I'd say coast side has more impact on weather than north south to be honest.

I live on the north coast up in tohoku. My summers are mild and hot, I have almost no rainy season (except for when typhoons go right over the mainland), my winter is generally a lot heavier than the east coast, and in winter it's pretty much always grey.

Opposite side has almost no winter/snow, rainy season, more oppressive summers.

Penguee
February 20th, 2015, 10:53
I'd say coast side has more impact on weather than north south to be honest.

I live on the north coast up in tohoku. My summers are mild and hot, I have almost no rainy season (except for when typhoons go right over the mainland), my winter is generally a lot heavier than the east coast, and in winter it's pretty much always grey.

Opposite side has almost no winter/snow, rainy season, more oppressive summers.

All of this. Gizmo and I live on opposite sides of Tohoku.

BeckyJones
February 20th, 2015, 11:53
the weather isn't any worse than anywhere else in the world. The weather is "worse", because you feel it all.
Hokkaido, is cold.. and similar in climate to places like Detroit, or Minneapolis. Tokyo is warmer, and similar to Atlanta, or Nashville. Okinawa, is like Miami.

The reason why it sucks, and the reason ppl bitch so much about it is that YOU CANT ESCAPE THE WEATHER. If it is 30C outside (~90F) it will be about that temperature no matter where you go. Same in reverse, today I woke up and the inside of my house was 4C (~40F)

For example. I want to go to the bathroom and take a morning deuce. But the school bathrooms are a blistering 3C and drafty as shit... I'll wait.

Ini
February 20th, 2015, 11:56
your dont heat your house?

BeckyJones
February 20th, 2015, 11:58
your dont heat your house?

not all of it.
only the rooms we are in, when we are in them. Costs too damn much yo

Virgil
February 20th, 2015, 12:04
COLD. COLD. COLD. This country is fking cold.

weepinbell
February 20th, 2015, 12:26
COLD. COLD. COLD. This country is fking cold.

It's -9 where I am right now w 30 windchill I think I'll be ok with the cold..…… lol

Ya I always hear apartments get cold though and most people use kotatsu and space heaters.

Summers what I'm worried about, humidity kills me.....

BeckyJones
February 20th, 2015, 12:27
It's -9 where I am right now w 30 windchill I think I'll be ok with the cold..…… lol

Ya I always hear apartments get cold though and most people use kotatsu and space heaters.

Summers what I'm worried about, humidity kills me.....
turn off the heat in your apartment.
try it out for a week or two and then see if you can handle it.

uthinkimlost?
February 20th, 2015, 12:29
Still not the same, bunkster, weepinbell has insulation.

Open a window, whoppingbellend.

Virgil
February 20th, 2015, 12:30
I'm just a giant vajay when it comes to the cold. I'm pretty far south, so it's pretty mild. Cold bathrooms are a problem for me.

BeckyJones
February 20th, 2015, 13:37

oh yea. forgot about that fancy first world insulation thingie.

yea, open a window... better yet. crack two open so you get a draft

coop52
February 20th, 2015, 13:38
Better pray to Jesus that you get a heated toilet.

Virgil
February 20th, 2015, 13:46
I love those things so much.

Question for the ages: when using a bidet toilet - when does cleaning ones self become pleasuring oneself?

BeckyJones
February 20th, 2015, 13:48
I love those things so much.

Question for the ages: when using a bidet toilet - when does cleaning ones self become pleasuring oneself?

when you start masturbating.

and to OP, open the windows... but you can use a space heater... just can't close the windows.

webstaa
February 20th, 2015, 14:05
I'm just a giant vajay when it comes to the cold. I'm pretty far south, so it's pretty mild. Cold bathrooms are a problem for me.

Heated seats are great. Frozen toes at the same time is just odd. Probably the reason why I wear shoes instead of just slippers in my house.

johnny
February 20th, 2015, 17:51
The weather where I am has been pretty good actually. It's definitely chilly at night though.

mothy
February 20th, 2015, 23:16
Japanese weather is bullshit. I miss the constant drizzle of home.

weepinbell
February 20th, 2015, 23:42
turn off the heat in your apartment.
try it out for a week or two and then see if you can handle it.

Our heat is either off or like on 60 half the time, midwesterners don't believe in that shit. I've been living the space heater + 20 blankets life for awhile now..... if I get really desperate, I have footy pjs...

anyone here invest in a kotatsu?

If it's humid won't that just make it worse. I'm telling you it's what's gonna be the end of me I better start preparing now lol... almost starting to wish I asked for a placement up north.

mothy
February 21st, 2015, 07:33
anyone here invest in a kotatsu?

What kind of savage sits on the floor?

Ini
February 21st, 2015, 14:15
Madness, for all its faults at least Saitama has sofas, aircon and double glazing

haitch40
February 21st, 2015, 14:43
Madness, for all its faults at least Saitama has sofas, aircon and double glazing
All of that is stolen I assume.

Does anyone know what the weather in places like Oita, Saga and Kagoshima is like?

johnny
February 21st, 2015, 23:10
I don't think it's too different than where I am. I'm just north of Fukuoka and Oita. It's chilly in the winter, but with little if any snow.

Sharp and Ananas are in Kyushu. They would know a little better.

haitch40
February 22nd, 2015, 03:34
I don't think it's too different than where I am. I'm just north of Fukuoka and Oita. It's chilly in the winter, but with little if any snow.

Sharp and Ananas are in Kyushu. They would know a little better.
So similar winters to the UK? I can live with that I think.
I think I am going to list places around there as my preferences next year as I really want to go to Kyushu and Saga has a friend of mine and is near Nagasaki, Kagoshima has the history with the Shimazu and the giant volcano, Oita has Beppu with the wonderful onsen.

johnny
February 22nd, 2015, 04:02
I don't know what weather is like in the UK, but maybe the weather is similar.

haitch40
February 22nd, 2015, 05:12
I don't know what weather is like in the UK, but maybe the weather is similar.
We get about 5 to 0c and the rare day at - figures. Some snow but rare.

Antonath
February 22nd, 2015, 06:34
So similar winters to the UK? I can live with that I think.
Except houses in the UK have insulation, central heating, etc. As do the places people work.

haitch40
February 22nd, 2015, 06:44
Except houses in the UK have insulation, central heating, etc. As do the places people work.
I lived in a house which was always freezing last year. I can cope.

Zolrak 22
February 22nd, 2015, 07:01
I lived in a house which was always freezing last year. I can cope.
Or maybe your definition of "freezing" isn't the same as theirs. [emoji75]

haitch40
February 22nd, 2015, 07:13
Or maybe your definition of "freezing" isn't the same as theirs. [emoji75]
I had to wear a coat to bed. Seriously.

My housemates were tight and never put the heating on as well. When they did I let my room get too hot because I knew that was the only way to make it liveable for an hour after they turned it off.

You are going to die I think. You will just go and jump into one of the volcanoes hoping it will at least be warm in there.

Zolrak 22
February 22nd, 2015, 07:41
You are going to die I think. You will just go and jump into one of the volcanoes hoping it will at least be warm in there.
Amusingly enough, I found snow temperatures to be easier to handle than my kind of cold.

Who knows, maybe I was freezing so much that I went numb. [emoji14]

haitch40
February 22nd, 2015, 07:51
Amusingly enough, I found snow temperatures to be easier to handle than my kind of cold.

That was the heat of the bullets when someone thought you were Mexican.

Zolrak 22
February 22nd, 2015, 08:22
That was the heat of the bullets when someone thought you were Mexican.
Only person to ever mistake me for a Mexican is Word and he doesn't know any better. [emoji28]

(What with being from Texas and all [emoji38] )

Virgil
February 22nd, 2015, 08:48
Only person to ever mistake me for a Mexican is Word and he doesn't know any better. [emoji28]

(What with being from Texas and all [emoji38] )
Que?

Zolrak 22
February 22nd, 2015, 09:06
Que?
El no es de Texas, el es de TEXAS.

La versión de caricaturas.

Donde disparan a cualquier persona que no hable inglés.

Speaking of which, I'm changing back to English before his enforcers come after me.

Poor MC hasn't been the same since they hunted him down.

(And just to be nice I used castellano Spanish, easily translated in Google I imagine)

Virgil
February 22nd, 2015, 09:12
El no es de Texas, el es de TEXAS.

La versión de caricaturas.

Donde disparan a cualquier persona que no hable inglés.

Speaking of which, I'm changing back to English before his enforcers come after me.

Poor MC hasn't been the same since they hunted him down.

(And just to be nice I used castellano Spanish, easily translated in Google I imagine)
I can read Spanish fine. Now, I'm going to need to see your papers.

Zolrak 22
February 22nd, 2015, 09:19
I can read Spanish fine. Now, I'm going to need to see your papers.
I don't mind showing you my papers.

As long as you don't mind reenacting the lawsuit a Puerto Rican filed and won over being asked for visas in Texas. [emoji38]

I'm running low on funds, so this would be perfect. [emoji75] .

haitch40
February 22nd, 2015, 10:45
I'm running low on funds, so this would be perfect. [emoji75] .
You do know that if you get accepted you need about $2000 just to live till the first paycheck right?

First homeless alt.

Zolrak 22
February 22nd, 2015, 11:37
First homeless alt.

I'll be part of a roadside circus. [emoji38]

haitch40
February 22nd, 2015, 11:59
I'll be part of a roadside circus. [emoji38]
People like you are the ones that give gaijin a bad name. Now stop begging and get a proper job that involves work.
Bloody JETs. They are so lazy.

Zolrak 22
February 22nd, 2015, 12:48
People like you are the ones that give gaijin a bad name. Now stop begging and get a proper job that involves work.

Are you kidding?

I'll be a prime example of what a JET is.

A circus act for the kiddies.

haitch40
February 22nd, 2015, 12:59
Are you kidding?

I'll be a prime example of what a JET is.

A circus act for the kiddies.
Of course. You will get off the coach at the hotel when you get there and you will find that you ordered too much booze on the way and you will be sick on some Japanese government official.

This is how I imagine most JETs.

PuddingHead
February 22nd, 2015, 16:33
HOW CAN YOU DO THAT. YOU PIZZA.

Zolrak 22
February 22nd, 2015, 16:46
You are both adorable darlings, aren't you?

PuddingHead
February 22nd, 2015, 16:49
Your face is an adorable darling.

Zolrak 22
February 22nd, 2015, 16:51
Your face is an adorable darling.
Aww thank you, dear.

You are not so bad yourself. [emoji75]

PuddingHead
February 22nd, 2015, 16:56
I know your face. I'm the leader here. I say when the movie's over.

Zolrak 22
February 22nd, 2015, 17:00
Don't break Lee's heart. [emoji174]

PuddingHead
February 22nd, 2015, 17:02
Movie's over, Lee. go home.

haitch40
February 22nd, 2015, 17:28
Movie's over, Lee. go home.
Damn. I arrived too late.

sharpinthefang
February 22nd, 2015, 23:45
I'm in Fukuoka Pref, the summers are sticky hot (but god I miss them) the winters are a tad colder than we are used to in the UK. Its only this week that I no longer have to wear gloves and a scarf outside.
The housing is stupid, you WILL freeze in the Winter, and I too had tight housemates that would never have the heating on. Only way I would stay warm in my attic room was to invest in an electric blanket.
Get used to lots of thunder and lightening. And always carrying round an umbrella.

I went to Beppu just before christmas, I also went to Hyousan Onsen as it boasts a Michelin star. Don't bother, its dirty and run down. It was possibly a decent tourist trap 20 years ago, but now its just awful looking. The hells were pretty though.

hiddenlee22
February 23rd, 2015, 02:32
I know your face. I'm the leader here. I say when the movie's over.

Who says I don't know Zolrak's face?

Zolrak 22
February 23rd, 2015, 06:34
Who says I don't know Zolrak's face?
Because...

http://youtu.be/GOsoa4AGRhY

Jiggit
February 23rd, 2015, 08:19
This is how I imagine most JETs.

Nah, most JETs are uptight and socially awkward.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll make lots of friends.

johnny
February 23rd, 2015, 08:36

Yeah, I think that's very true. At orientation I went out drinking my first two nights with some pretty chill people, but most people hit the sack shortly after dinner. Also, about half the Jets in my prefecture don't interact with any of the rest of us at all. Maybe they have great Japanese and just make friends locally (which is definitely true in some cases), but I think it's more a case of them being shut-ins.

Jiggit
February 23rd, 2015, 08:39
At Tokyo orientation? I was too jetlagged to do anything then tbh.

johnny
February 23rd, 2015, 08:45
Fair enough. My trip to Japan is about as short as you can get from an English speaking country, so that probably helps quite a lot too. I was tired though. I intentionally didn't sleep on the flight so that I would get to bed at a somewhat normal time.

webstaa
February 23rd, 2015, 08:48
The weather where I am has been pretty good actually. It's definitely chilly at night though.

Same here. Nights are still pretty chilly, but it got pretty warm this weekend. Plus my apartment got solar panels installed which (according to the paperwork) reduce everybody's electricity bill 8-9%. Still wish they had solar water heaters, but that'd be pretty hard to do on an apartment complex.

Socializing at TO is pretty useless. You'll never see 95% of those people again. And the 5% or so that are in the same prefecture you'll see too much of. I went to a konbini on the first night and went to a pretty nice hole-in-the-wall ramen place the second. I didn't have jet lag - I was the one going to bed a 11-12pm like normal... and waking up at 4am like some sort of lunatic.

Gizmotech
February 23rd, 2015, 08:49
Yeah, I think that's very true. At orientation I went out drinking my first two nights with some pretty chill people, but most people hit the sack shortly after dinner. Also, about half the Jets in my prefecture don't interact with any of the rest of us at all. Maybe they have great Japanese and just make friends locally (which is definitely true in some cases), but I think it's more a case of them being shut-ins.

Hey, I did that on the second night out too. It's a pretty normal thing to do. Otherwise not interacting in your area... how far do they have to go to interact? Like, is it worth it to drive somewhere to shoot the shit or should they just stay where they are?

That's the big reason noone on the east side of the mountains EVER sees me, It's not worth the travel time or money to go see these people because they're frankly not interesting enough. And even if they were, I still wouldn't drive 3 hours or spend 4500yen to go see them. I can see people in town.

At Tokyo orientation? I was too jetlagged to do anything then tbh.

This was my first night. fucking nackered.

mothy
February 23rd, 2015, 08:50
Not hanging out with other JETs is socially awkward? I thought the socially awkward ones were the JETs who couldn't pick up on my obvious signals that I wanted nothing to do with them. Journey, are you sure you're not the socially awkward JET?

Ini
February 23rd, 2015, 08:59
In bed with jetlag at TO? jesus christ you people are boring.

Virgil
February 23rd, 2015, 09:05
No TO for me, but I was definitely intoxicated upon arrival.

johnny
February 23rd, 2015, 09:06
Same here. Nights are still pretty chilly, but it got pretty warm this weekend. Plus my apartment got solar panels installed which (according to the paperwork) reduce everybody's electricity bill 8-9%. Still wish they had solar water heaters, but that'd be pretty hard to do on an apartment complex.

Socializing at TO is pretty useless. You'll never see 95% of those people again. And the 5% or so that are in the same prefecture you'll see too much of. I went to a konbini on the first night and went to a pretty nice hole-in-the-wall ramen place the second. I didn't have jet lag - I was the one going to bed a 11-12pm like normal... and waking up at 4am like some sort of lunatic.

True. I never have seen any of those people again nor do I really care to TBH. Quite frankly, the only reason I wanted to socialize is that I didn't want to sit on my ass in the hotel when I was in Shinjuku and I preferred going out with people. We were all, as Fight Club would put it, single serving friends.

I got up pretty early too because I didn't want to drink the shitty hotel coffee in the morning. I went out to Starbucks the first morning and the Excelsior Cafe across the street the next morning. I didn't much care for either the breakfast or the lunch, so I wanted to at least have a half-decent coffee.

Weatherwise it's been warmish, but really rainy here. Booo.

Hey, I did that on the second night out too. It's a pretty normal thing to do. Otherwise not interacting in your area... how far do they have to go to interact? Like, is it worth it to drive somewhere to shoot the shit or should they just stay where they are?

That's the big reason noone on the east side of the mountains EVER sees me, It's not worth the travel time or money to go see these people because they're frankly not interesting enough. And even if they were, I still wouldn't drive 3 hours or spend 4500yen to go see them. I can see people in town.

This was my first night. fucking nackered.

Yeah, that's fair. I do much, much less socializing this year because I just don't care that much. Last weekend some pretty nice and decent people put on a big event that seemed like a lot of fun. They made sure that people had a place to stay and all that, but it was still three hours and 3,000 en away. No fucking way.

Though, many people don't show up to any events. They don't even join up for coffees or drinks after the stupid meetings. They don't even socialize through Facebook or attend events that are in their city. Now, not wanting to spend time with me is hardly a sign of social awkwardness. Hell, it's a sign of sanity. It does seem a bit odd that they don't socialize with anyone in any way though.

Jiggit
February 23rd, 2015, 09:09
You're being too nice, Jimmy! Call us a bunch of feckless virgin weebtards and be done with it.

haitch40
February 23rd, 2015, 09:22

Oh wonderful a nerd convention.

Also what do the hotel serve for breakfast?

johnny
February 23rd, 2015, 09:29
There are a lot of nerds, but also a lot of somewhat normal people. I use the term "normal" advisedly because this is from my perspective and I myself and pretty strange as I mentioned above.

haitch40
February 23rd, 2015, 09:31
Yay normal people.

I swear if I got on a plane and had to sit next to a nerd with no social life for 11 hours I would shoot myself.

Ini
February 23rd, 2015, 09:34
its a mediocre business hotel masquerading as a luxury hotel. Couple that with the cheap deal they give on the block booking and you end up with a crappy "continental" buffet.

Jiggit
February 23rd, 2015, 09:34
I swear if I got on a plane and had to sit next to a nerd with no social life for 11 hours I would shoot myself.

Let's hope the person you end up next to doesn't have the same tenuous grasp on their mortality.

Virgil
February 23rd, 2015, 09:41
Let's hope the person you end up next to doesn't have the same tenuous grasp on their mortality.

Best reply ever.

johnny
February 23rd, 2015, 09:47
Yes, I think we all agree that we all hope that no one kills themselves.

mothy
February 23rd, 2015, 11:51
Yes, I think we all agree that we all hope that no one kills themselves.

You don't speak for us.

Zolrak 22
February 23rd, 2015, 11:58
You don't speak for us.
https://p.gr-assets.com/540x540/fit/hostedimages/1383248177/6458033.gif

?

haitch40
February 23rd, 2015, 16:33
Is this true?

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/temperatures-top-20-degrees-in-honshu-for-first-time-this-year

Lorenzo
February 25th, 2015, 21:14
I think socialising with people you'll never meet again is fucking great. There's an immediacy and naturalness to it, because nothing you say or do will matter apart from that moment. If you make an ass of yourself, so what? Doesn't matter. There's no past or future context that influences the conversation your having. Some of the most fun I've had has been talking to random people in bars and hostels while abroad. In my eyes, your (most likely) in a new and exciting city with people that quite possibly have very similar interests and ambitions to yourself, and you only have three days. Why wouldn't you make the most of that?

I mean, I understand the jet lag must be horrendous, but if I make it this year, there's no way I'm going to bed early at orientation. Obviously I can go back and visit, but that's three whole days in Tokyo, a brand new city in a brand new country, accommodation free. Have a red bull if you need to, and then go explore. Sleep can wait.

weepinbell
February 26th, 2015, 01:27
I think socialising with people you'll never meet again is fucking great. There's an immediacy and naturalness to it, because nothing you say or do will matter apart from that moment. If you make an ass of yourself, so what? Doesn't matter. There's no past or future context that influences the conversation your having. Some of the most fun I've had has been talking to random people in bars and hostels while abroad. In my eyes, your (most likely) in a new and exciting city with people that quite possibly have very similar interests and ambitions to yourself, and you only have three days. Why wouldn't you make the most of that?

I mean, I understand the jet lag must be horrendous, but if I make it this year, there's no way I'm going to bed early at orientation. Obviously I can go back and visit, but that's three whole days in Tokyo, a brand new city in a brand new country, accommodation free. Have a red bull if you need to, and then go explore. Sleep can wait.

Hell yeah. I probably wouldn't get shitfaced, but I would so take advantage of orientation. Partying abroad with free accomodation (even if it is the equivelant of a LaQuinta)? Damn. Idk maybe I just have low standards, but that sounds like a golden opportunity, especially if you're being carted away to inakaland immediately after... might as well have some fun in the big city.