PDA

View Full Version : Any early departure applicants out there?

JestersJ
February 24th, 2015, 04:20
Any early departure applicants out on this forum? When I went in for my interview they didn't seem like they had a lot of people that signed up for early departure and the interviewees that were in the room with me (about 8 people?) were all regular departure folk.

I have a friend who went over on JET in 2013 as early departure and she said she got her email of acceptance around March 5th and had a little over month to prepare for the April leave date. She is currently out in the inaka around Okayama, she loves it there but is trying to get down to Kobe/Osaka area with a transfer. She doubt's they'll grant her one but she's trying.

My city had a Japanese cultural event the other day, "Arizona Matsuri" and I got to meet some jet alumni who work for the LA consulate who seemed fairly confident in me. I'm not going to let that cloud my ego or cause false hope at all but it was nice to get some feedback.

If any of you previously were early departure, around what date did you receive your acceptance?

miamicoordinator
February 24th, 2015, 06:25
We had tons of Early Departure applicants this year, but unfortunately many of them were not able to submit the required documents by the Early Departure due date. Literally everyone from my Consulate who originally applied for early departure had to pull out of consideration by the time interviews came along for one reason or another.

Early Departure people should be finding out if they got accepted around the same time as last year. Early March'ish.

JestersJ
February 24th, 2015, 06:46
Thanks! I thought so!
Yeah I hear a lot of people couldn't get their FBI check back in time this year. I've met a few applicants via another group that said they turned their FBI report in October and still haven't received the documents back. They're all regular departure folk, so they said they were just going to try again the moment they hear back if they were accepted in April.

JestersJ
February 24th, 2015, 06:47
I also have another question for MC if you see this;

If you are not selected for early departure but instead selected for regular departure, do you still find out in March? How does that work?

johnny
February 24th, 2015, 07:22
Wow, the FBI takes that long to do a CBC? The RCMP only took two weeks for me. That's a tough situation.

JestersJ
February 24th, 2015, 07:29
Wow, the FBI takes that long to do a CBC? The RCMP only took two weeks for me. That's a tough situation.
Took me from mid October to about mid Jan :/

johnny
February 24th, 2015, 07:36
Wow, that sucks dude.

Gunjumero
February 24th, 2015, 07:47

Wow, the RCMP takes that long to do a CBC?

The SQ only took 15 minutes for me. That's a tough situation.

AyaReiko
February 24th, 2015, 08:35
I applied for early departure, but I received my police report (local police, took about a month) the business day after the deadline, so I ended up changing my form before handing it in. You really hae to know that you want to apply in advance!

greyjoy
February 24th, 2015, 08:55
Hey MC, any idea on the typical range of requested early arrivals? I know of one person who left early, and am assuming they will be replaced in April. I'm wondering how many other vacancies might be up as well.

johnny
February 24th, 2015, 09:01
Wow, the RCMP takes that long to do a CBC?

The SQ only took 15 minutes for me. That's a tough situation.

There are two types of checks they can do and I got both of them done. The cbc takes longer and that is what Jet wanted for my full application (I think anyway). I think they wanted that one because it has the option of the vulnerable sectors check.

Gunjumero
February 24th, 2015, 09:53
There are two types of checks they can do and I got both of them done. The cbc takes longer and that is what Jet wanted for my full application (I think anyway). I think they wanted that one because it has the option of the vulnerable sectors check.

I did not know that.

It does look less complete than yours.

From it : ''The results of this check do not constitute a criminal record verification certified by the RCMP'' and ''This information may not contain all convictions registered for criminal offences''

And yet it then says :
The background check includes :

-Every conviction for a criminal or quasi-criminal offence committed in Canada

-Every court order in force in Canada

-Every pending charge ... in Canada.

Incomplete but complete ?

It might be enough, I'm sure they'll let me know if I ever need to take the same one you did.

AyaReiko
February 24th, 2015, 10:55
Gunjumero, when I requested mine, I got in contact with the embassy and they confirmed that they need the one for contact with the vulnerable sector, so you may have to get a new one :/ (based on the fact that we're both from Québec and that I had the option between two different forms too.)
That being said, it's not really worth going through it until you actually get in, because it's long and expensive!

Gunjumero
February 24th, 2015, 11:18
Gunjumero, when I requested mine, I got in contact with the embassy and they confirmed that they need the one for contact with the vulnerable sector, so you may have to get a new one :/ (based on the fact that we're both from Québec and that I had the option between two different forms too.)
That being said, it's not really worth going through it until you actually get in, because it's long and expensive!

Thanks,
How much was yours ? And how long did it take ?

According to RCMP's website, they say 25$ + whatever local fees they might add and 3 days if done electronically.

AyaReiko
February 24th, 2015, 11:28
I went to the local police station in person (municipal police). It cost $68 and it took a month-ish (I went on Halloween and received it on November 24). All that info is on the police website, so I can only imagine it's the same if you're in Montreal.

Gunjumero
February 24th, 2015, 11:45
No, I'm not in Montreal so no SPVM for me.

It's the SQ where I'm from. I looked at their website and they don't say while SPVM's has it right on their front page.

ESID already ? who knows.

At least it didn't take long, went in there, gave my ID, I was out in minutes and it was free. Worst case, it's useless and I made a trip for nothing.

Thanks for the info, crossing my fingers they'll just say '' Ah it's fine, now that we have it (it's uploaded and sent) it'll do ''

AyaReiko
February 24th, 2015, 12:06
Yeah, I'm pretty sure JET will tell you if they need something else

Oh, and you can always ask Service Québec about the VAPV, if worse comes to worse!
Faire vérifier ses antécédents criminels : Portail Québec
(http://www4.gouv.qc.ca/fr/Portail/citoyens/programme-service/Pages/Info.aspx?sqctype=service&sqcid=531)

johnny
February 24th, 2015, 13:21
You'll get all the info you need when you find out whether you're shortlisted or an alternate. Don't sweat it. You'll have plenty of time to get it done.

Gunjumero
February 24th, 2015, 21:55
Thanks,both of you.

Yeah I'm not worried about it.

Liamers
February 25th, 2015, 06:01

If you are not selected for early departure but instead selected for regular departure, do you still find out in March? How does that work?

I was wondering too if you don't get early departure are you still in the running for regular?

Gunjumero
February 25th, 2015, 06:13
I was wondering too if you don't get early departure are you still in the running for regular?

Yes

moonbeam
February 28th, 2015, 00:53
I applied for early departure but I also had problems with my CBC. In my case it was because I forgot to include the payment form, whoops! They asked about it in my interview and after I explained they put me down as regular departure. Oh well. Actually it works out better for me this way.

miamicoordinator
February 28th, 2015, 04:08

Sorry! I didnt see the notification e-mail for the replies to this thread.

If you applied for early departure but there are no spots, you will find out in April with the rest of the people. Only people who will be going to Japan via ED will find out sometime in March.

miamicoordinator
February 28th, 2015, 04:12
Hey MC, any idea on the typical range of requested early arrivals? I know of one person who left early, and am assuming they will be replaced in April. I'm wondering how many other vacancies might be up as well.

Since Early Departure is still pretty new(I think we started in 2013 or 2012?) there still aren't many Contracting Organizations who take advantage of it. Honestly, it is a lot more work on their part since they need to have all of their paperwork into CLAIR much earlier than if they were getting a regular departure person. Most places don't like to rock the boat, and just want to keep things the same. There are never very many early departures because overall it is m ore convenient for people to come via regular departure. They get a nice 3 day training in Tokyo, and have more time to prepare overall. We don't even know the number of regular vacancies (since that number fluctuates a bit anyway), so we know nothing about specific early departure numbers unfortunately. Sorry!

miamicoordinator
February 28th, 2015, 04:13

Yes. You will treated as same as any other regular departure person.

Jabron
March 5th, 2015, 06:56
Any idea on if we'll hear this week? Waiting is becoming progressively more difficult.

miamicoordinator
March 5th, 2015, 08:43
Any idea on if we'll hear this week? Waiting is becoming progressively more difficult.

Yes, you should be hearing this week(if you havent heard already) if you were selected for ED. Your prefectures should be contacting you by the weekend also.

JestersJ
March 5th, 2015, 13:11
Yes, you should be hearing this week(if you havent heard already) if you were selected for ED. Your prefectures should be contacting you by the weekend also.

Uuuugh
I still have 2 days this week to hopefully get that weekend contact info... I'm in LA right now, should just run by the embassy and ask! ;) (obviously kidding)
ANTICIPATION

Jabron
March 5th, 2015, 13:35

Thanks! And will we be notified if we aren't selected?

miamicoordinator
March 5th, 2015, 23:01
Thanks! And will we be notified if we aren't selected?

Nope. If you aren't selected for ED then you just wait a few more weeks and hear back with the rest of regular departure people.

Jabron
March 6th, 2015, 04:48
Nope. If you aren't selected for ED then you just wait a few more weeks and hear back with the rest of regular departure people.
Thanks again!

Gunjumero
March 6th, 2015, 04:51
People on reddit have started receiving their early departure announcement.

Liamers
March 7th, 2015, 03:16
I have been accepted for early departure. I'm off to Akita!!

gibbity
March 7th, 2015, 03:33
Grats Liamers! have a fun flight.

ambrosse
March 7th, 2015, 06:58

Have fun :D
If you're near Akita City, stop by the Iyataka Shrine and learn some Taiko!

hiddenlee22
March 7th, 2015, 08:26
Congrats on the early departure guys!

JestersJ
March 7th, 2015, 10:25
Congrats! I haven't gotten anything so I assume I missed this cut

Zolrak 22
March 7th, 2015, 11:33
Congrats on the early departure guys!
You'll get your placement eventually.

Then you get to tease me with photos of the NYC orientation and etc. [emoji6]

AyaReiko
March 7th, 2015, 14:51

That's so exciting, congratulations! I hope you have fun^^

Liamers
March 7th, 2015, 21:54
thanks guys. Anybody here from Akita prefecture or have any info or advice.

Also do you think it would be possible to get down to the tokyo orientation for a day or two. Obviously it would be at my own expense. I just want to meet the other new JETs and make contacts

uthinkimlost?
March 7th, 2015, 22:29
The main contacts you need will be in your own prefecture, and you can meet them at your prefectural orientation.

johnny
March 7th, 2015, 22:34
I couldn't agree more. You're never going to see the vast majority of people at TO ever again. I'm positive that Akita AJET has a Facebook page. Just introduce yourself to them and I am pretty sure people will be down to meet you.

If you're going to pay for a trip to Tokyo, for the love of God, don't let it be for the orientation.

hiddenlee22
March 7th, 2015, 22:57
You'll get your placement eventually.

Then you get to tease me with photos of the NYC orientation and etc. [emoji6]

:cool: you know that's not happening. The only reason I would be there is to confirm your identity, something even a lack of acceptance into JET would stop me from achieving.

JET ProgramCoordinator SF
March 10th, 2015, 02:02

Also do you think it would be possible to get down to the tokyo orientation for a day or two. Obviously it would be at my own expense. I just want to meet the other new JETs and make contacts

To echo what others said - it wouldn't be worth it. You already have your own TO for ED candidates, and realistically, the people you meet at TO you're probably almost never going to see again. What's more important is meeting all the local JETs in your prefecture and the neighboring prefectures.

JestersJ
March 10th, 2015, 02:38
Just wanted to say I got a call from my consulate today and offered an early departure spot, they said unknown location right now, I won't be leaving that April 7th date but later in April.
Cheers!

Gunjumero
March 10th, 2015, 03:07
Just wanted to say I got a call from my consulate today and offered an early departure spot, they said unknown location right now, I won't be leaving that April 7th date but later in April.
Cheers!

Awesome, you made the cut in the end.

JestersJ
March 10th, 2015, 04:04
Awesome, you made the cut in the end.

Checked my email a million times only to receive a phone call.

Liamers
March 10th, 2015, 06:18
I didn't know ed get a to. Sweet.

congrats jesters!!

AyaReiko
March 10th, 2015, 08:04
Sweet, congrats!

greyjoy
March 10th, 2015, 09:12
Cheers!

That's really odd. Why would they offer you a spot if they didn't know where it is?

johnny
March 10th, 2015, 09:34
That's really odd. Why would they offer you a spot if they didn't know where it is?

Maybe they haven't had time to decide where all the ED Jets are going, but they wanted to let them know ASAP that they're leaving early so they could get their affairs in order.

JestersJ
March 10th, 2015, 15:55
Rofl my friend said, "They do that so they know you can't turn it down."

But yeah I think it's more of what Johnny said; she wanted to give me some time to prep but they needed to finalize my area.
PERSONALLY I think the coordinator actually knows my spot but was told not to tell me until further instruction.

johnny
March 10th, 2015, 15:58
Let us know when you find out.

x_stei
March 10th, 2015, 23:26
congratulations!

Aqua
March 27th, 2015, 23:20
Suppose I finally have to stop lurking (a whole 4 months).

Welcome to Akita! I like to think we're a pretty good bunch overall, and can vouch for the area you're going into in that regard. There will be a party, so you'll have plenty of helpful contacts. If no one has shoved it at you already, our prefectural website is a great start: Akita Wiki (http://akitajet.com/)

Otherwise, general advice: It will be rural, but not inaka; Akita City is close enough that you'll have an outlet. We have all the seasons - snow is pretty much gone, but still chilly now. Regional dialect is Akita-ben, have fun with that. Uh... there's kiritanpo? Feel free to be in contact for any specifics!

(Also echoing the sentiment about TO. The only thing that happened for me at TO was not finding any of the people from my prefecture until the last day, subsequently becoming bros with Aomori ALTs in the meantime, and then never seeing Aomori ALTs again even though they're only one prefecture over, whoops.)