PDA

View Full Version : Aeon to JET?

JestersJ
February 24th, 2015, 07:08
Has anyone from Aeon gotten a job at JET afterward? I know of people from interac and heart but they are ALT companies and Aeon is more of an Eikawa.

My friend has an offer from both Aeon and Interac, she wants to go to Interac because its the ALT experience and we know people from it who has gone into JET afterward. We haven't heard of any people from Aeon going onto Jet afterward though. Aeon pays more so she's kind of torn between more pay and knowing for sure you have a good chance with JET after interac.

Any thoughts? She didn't make interview phase this year but was interested in trying again next year (but she needs to work cuz of student loan debt, etc)

BeckyJones
February 24th, 2015, 08:14
It is possible. It is harder to get on JET while in Japan however, so Interac to JET AEON to JET are a lot harder than the reverse. But either companies can lead to JET.

AEON being the eikaiwa gig wont effect an application onto JET. Just social life.

Ini
February 24th, 2015, 08:35
just come to Japan with whoever for a few years then call it a day. Seems pointless trying to get on JET if you are already here, especially if you failed to even get a JET interview. They should probably give it up and move on. They have already wasted a year of their life trying to get on JET and its hardly a dream job. So that leaves you with the Aeon vs Interac/ekaiwa vs ALT question. If you are coming for 1 year max then take aeon. Get more money, live in a city, get some poon but they will be ready to slit their wrists after 12 months. If they think they will want to stay longer then go for interac as it offers a slightly more "normal" lifestyle.

BeckyJones
February 24th, 2015, 08:38
just come to Japan with whoever for a few years then call it a day. Seems pointless trying to get on JET if you are already here, especially if you failed to even get a JET interview. They should probably give it up and move on. They have already wasted a year of their life trying to get on JET and its hardly a dream job. So that leaves you with the Aeon vs Interac/ekaiwa vs ALT question. If you are coming for 1 year max then take aeon. Get more money, live in a city, get some poon but they will be ready to slit their wrists after 12 months. If they think they will want to stay longer then go for interac as it offers a slightly more "normal" lifestyle.
actually. this is best advice.

Jiggit
February 24th, 2015, 08:40
Has anyone from Aeon gotten a job at JET afterward? I know of people from interac and heart but they are ALT companies and Aeon is more of an Eikawa.

My friend has an offer from both Aeon and Interac, she wants to go to Interac because its the ALT experience and we know people from it who has gone into JET afterward. We haven't heard of any people from Aeon going onto Jet afterward though. Aeon pays more so she's kind of torn between more pay and knowing for sure you have a good chance with JET after interac.

Any thoughts? She didn't make interview phase this year but was interested in trying again next year (but she needs to work cuz of student loan debt, etc)

What does she think is going to be so different about JET that it's worth switching? Not trying to be sarcastic, genuinely curious.

JestersJ
February 24th, 2015, 08:59
What does she think is going to be so different about JET that it's worth switching? Not trying to be sarcastic, genuinely curious.

Pay mainly. She had to go through all of Uni with student loans and has a lot to pay back. minimum monthly payment is over $800 right now.

Jiggit
February 24th, 2015, 09:02
The pay is not that different between JET and Interac these days. If she's that desperate for money it might be better to just go with Interac and find an Eikaiwa or two to work at on the side.

JestersJ
February 24th, 2015, 09:06
The pay is not that different between JET and Interac these days. If she's that desperate for money it might be better to just go with Interac and find an Eikaiwa or two to work at on the side.
Jet 1st year minimum is set on 3.36mil yen this year and she'd get 2.3mil yen on Interac via the contract they sent her and 2.4 if she chooses a rural location; so it's pretty noticeable to an already low pay. but yeah, working extra in an eikawa might have her balance out the pay considering interac's contract only has her on 29 working hours a week.

Ini
February 24th, 2015, 09:09
2.3mil????? can you even get a visa on that?

JestersJ
February 24th, 2015, 09:13
I guess so, it's what's written on her contract at least.
They actually have 2 months where they get paid 1.3 mil and 3 months where they get 1.96 mil to account for holiday hours. :/

mothy
February 24th, 2015, 09:18
How much is a flight to wherever she'd have to interview from? Also there's moving costs to be considered. How long is she planning on staying in Japan? One year on interac, one year on JET? If she's planning on staying longer than that I'm worried about her mind.

JestersJ
February 24th, 2015, 09:20
How much is a flight to wherever she'd have to interview from? Also there's moving costs to be considered. How long is she planning on staying in Japan? One year on interac, one year on JET? If she's planning on staying longer than that I'm worried about her mind.

She wanted to do the 5 year max with JET. Interac interview is actually in the u.s. so she didnt have to pay for a flight.

Jiggit
February 24th, 2015, 09:23
Wow, OK. I'd been told that Interac pay wasn't so much lower than JET, guess that wasn't true.

There's no harm in applying to JET, but if her going is dependent upon her getting into JET, that's just wishful thinking. She'd be better off going on Interac and looking for work as a direct hire. A lot more jobs become available when you already live in Japan and have a bit of experience, and most of them pay better than that Interac offer...

Also assuming she'll definitely to want to stay for 5 years is pretty naive. She might come here and hate it after 6 months.

Zolrak 22
February 24th, 2015, 09:25
Wow, OK. I'd been told that Interac pay wasn't so much lower than JET, guess that wasn't true.
Maybe it's a recent change?

Sharp would surely never lie to us.

Ini
February 24th, 2015, 09:27
you cant afford custom keyboards on 2.3million a year so it must be a different contract to sharps.....

BeckyJones
February 24th, 2015, 09:43
2.3 is exceptionally low. Must be that position, especially since it is 29hours a week. No interac drone I know works that little.

either way, your friends.... is thinking JET is some holy grail which it isn't. Take a job to get into Japan, test the waters... realize it will probably suck after a year or two and be done with Japan. Or... take the job, fall in love with it, and eventually go direct hire... stay for 5 years and then realize it sucks. Or take the job, fall in love with someone, get married and stay here for life and become a bitter shell of a person who hops around between ALT/eikaiwa jobs for the rest of their life.

mothy
February 24th, 2015, 09:44
She wanted to do the 5 year max with JET. Interac interview is actually in the u.s. so she didnt have to pay for a flight.

I'm saying if she comes over on interac and then switches to JET, she'd have to leave Japan for the interview, thereby incurring further costs in transitioning to JET. And that's assuming she's accepted and it's not money flushed down the toilet.
Go on interac, take a side job, forget about JET. It's unlikely she'll want to stay five years, and even if she does, once in Japan it's easier to find private school work.

JestersJ
February 24th, 2015, 10:04
I'm saying if she comes over on interac and then switches to JET, she'd have to leave Japan for the interview, thereby incurring further costs in transitioning to JET. And that's assuming she's accepted and it's not money flushed down the toilet.
Go on interac, take a side job, forget about JET. It's unlikely she'll want to stay five years, and even if she does, once in Japan it's easier to find private school work.
TBH I figured that was the path she'd end up going down anyway if she realized she liked it and wanted to stay. I can see her maybe getting into JET if she stays in America but I think if she goes onto Japan now she'll end up just settling for what she got until something better came along.
I understand liking the language and practice; but she hates most Japanese food and finds the social-order there off whack. I think she just doesn't see in the big picture that it would be her everyday life.

BeckyJones
February 24th, 2015, 10:10
I understand liking the language and practice; but she hates most Japanese food and finds the social-order there off whack. I think she just doesn't see in the big picture that it would be her everyday life.

she will like JET just as much as the others. Which is to day.... not much.

mothy
February 24th, 2015, 10:12
Hates the food and social order here? She actually sounds more reasonable than I was giving her credit for.

sharpinthefang
February 24th, 2015, 17:41
My pay ranges from 2.8 to 3.2, depending on if I take on the extra weekend camps and the holiday variables. Are you sure you are not comparing a JET pre-tax and an Interac post-tax?
Get her to double check her contract, there has got to be something wrong there....

JestersJ
February 24th, 2015, 18:01
My pay ranges from 2.8 to 3.2, depending on if I take on the extra weekend camps and the holiday variables. Are you sure you are not comparing a JET pre-tax and an Interac post-tax?
Get her to double check her contract, there has got to be something wrong there....

Teach English in Japan | Interac (http://www.interacnetwork.com/recruit/galtjobs/gsalarytaxesandinsurance.html)

"As a regular Interac ALT, you will most likely qualify for a gross salary of between 230,000 and 250,000 yen per calendar month. National income tax and employment insurance is automatically deducted each month; however, city tax and health insurance are not. National income tax is less than 10% of your monthly salary."

Actually says it on the website on how the advertise now :/
And on her contract they only give you the 250,000 if you rent a car with them and they just 'take out 20,000' for your car payments

Ini
February 24th, 2015, 18:06
Don't mind sharp, she's a compulsive liar. (Who also doesn't understand what a yearly salary is...)

johnny
February 24th, 2015, 18:37
Either way, the JET salary is quite a lot better and it's worth going for...IMO.

BifCarbet
February 25th, 2015, 01:22
Teach English in Japan | Interac (http://www.interacnetwork.com/recruit/galtjobs/gsalarytaxesandinsurance.html)

"As a regular Interac ALT, you will most likely qualify for a gross salary of between 230,000 and 250,000 yen per calendar month. National income tax and employment insurance is automatically deducted each month; however, city tax and health insurance are not. National income tax is less than 10% of your monthly salary."

Actually says it on the website on how the advertise now :/
And on her contract they only give you the 250,000 if you rent a car with them and they just 'take out 20,000' for your car payments

When you were writing 2.3, I thought you meant 2.3 million for the year. 230,000 per month is almost 2.8 million. 2.8-3.0 million is definitely doable. I hope you don't think there are only 10 months in a year.

webstaa
February 25th, 2015, 08:35
Either way, the JET salary is quite a lot better and it's worth going for...IMO.

JETs get a lot of knock-on benefits that most/all Interac ALTs don't - subsidized/free rent, transportation subsidies, airfare etc. Not every JET gets free or super cheap rent, but how many Interac ALTs pay through the nose for their housing?

Jiggit
February 25th, 2015, 09:14
I hope you don't think there are only 10 months in a year.

I'm pretty sure he actually did.

krayziesensei
February 25th, 2015, 09:42
My ex-wife worked at Aeon and then got on JET. It's definitely doable if that's the course you want to take.

Ini
February 25th, 2015, 09:43
How much do interac alts get in August....

Gizmotech
February 25th, 2015, 12:40
How much do interac alts get in August....

It's pretty sweet, with a bit of fuck, and a little all in it.

In all serious, I have a friend I meet every year at prefectual speech contest and it's always the same story. Butt fuck broke in september because august didn't pay for crap.

patjs
February 26th, 2015, 04:54
2.3 is exceptionally low. Must be that position, especially since it is 29hours a week. No interac drone I know works that little.

either way, your friends.... is thinking JET is some holy grail which it isn't. Take a job to get into Japan, test the waters... realize it will probably suck after a year or two and be done with Japan. Or... take the job, fall in love with it, and eventually go direct hire... stay for 5 years and then realize it sucks. Or take the job, fall in love with someone, get married and stay here for life and become a bitter shell of a person who hops around between ALT/eikaiwa jobs for the rest of their life.

Yep. These are about the only options she will have. I'm not being sarcastic either.

acpc2203
February 26th, 2015, 07:18
I managed to survive on 8 man a month when I was on exchange, had really cheap housing though (1.2 man a month) and was in Okinawa. Basically would go to frozen food supermarket when they had their once a month sale and stock up. Once I set up my budget I could go out pretty regularly too since that was cheap. Only thing that sucked was not having enough for a car, which would've been great.

Ini
February 26th, 2015, 08:20
because barely managing to survive is the way to live your life?

mothy
February 26th, 2015, 08:22
because barely managing to survive is the way to live your life?

Well if it's managing to survive nights of drinking I would say yes.

acpc2203
February 26th, 2015, 09:10
Well if it's managing to survive nights of drinking I would say yes.
Basically what I did, definitely need to take a liking to cheap hard liquor to survive on a budget.