PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Saitama

Eriasu
March 6th, 2015, 23:39
Hey guys,

I've just found out about this site, so I'm a newbie.

I have been accepted into the JET program and will be located in the Saitama prefecture. I've yet to receive a confirmation on the actual place, however I'm hoping for some tips or advice for when I arrive.
Is anyone on this site located there currently?

Cheers,
Elias

word
March 7th, 2015, 10:23
mothy is there, apparently. I know a girl who moved there from my area.

You should understand that Saitama is something of a running joke on this site; because of its higher crime rates (still lower than lots of areas in the US) and general reputation amongst many of its own residents, we have a tendency to lampoon the area in a rather exaggerated manner. Don't let it get you down; I'll bet you'll have a blast!

mothy
March 7th, 2015, 11:26
Yeah. The running "joke".

Airyass, are you prefectural or municipal?

Eriasu
March 7th, 2015, 12:37
Thanks for the replies!
i wasn't aware Saitama could be a dangerous area.

mothy, I haven't been told yet where in Saitama prefecture I'll be working.
Where about are you located?

Apart from running away and (I'm assuming) making sure my door is always locked, is there anything else I should keep in mind that doesn't involve crime or fear of life?

word
March 7th, 2015, 15:45
Apart from running away and (I'm assuming) making sure my door is always locked, is there anything else I should keep in mind that doesn't involve crime or fear of life?As long as you don't rely on a service dog, you'll probably be fine.

mothy
March 7th, 2015, 16:59
Thanks for the replies!
i wasn't aware Saitama could be a dangerous area.

mothy, I haven't been told yet where in Saitama prefecture I'll be working.
Where about are you located?

Apart from running away and (I'm assuming) making sure my door is always locked, is there anything else I should keep in mind that doesn't involve crime or fear of life?

If you're out in the boonies you won't have to worry about crime at all.
Really even the cities aren't so crime filled either. It's more that Saitama raises the special kind of asshole that would stab a guide dog with a fork.

Sounds like you're prefectural than, since most likely if you were municipal they'd have told you that.
I'm in the near Tokyo area.

Eriasu
March 7th, 2015, 19:06
As long as you don't rely on a service dog, you'll probably be fine.

If you're out in the boonies you won't have to worry about crime at all.
Really even the cities aren't so crime filled either. It's more that Saitama raises the special kind of asshole that would stab a guide dog with a fork.

Sounds like you're prefectural than, since most likely if you were municipal they'd have told you that.
I'm in the near Tokyo area.

Cheers mothy!
I'm not too worried about the area. Just wanna know where exactly I'll be teaching and living.
Close to the Tokyo area would be an awesome spot.

I'll keep an eye out for those assholes. Thanks for the heads up!
Enjoy your weekend.

johnny
March 7th, 2015, 19:34
Being near Tokyo must be neat.

Zolrak 22
March 7th, 2015, 19:48
Being near Tokyo must be neat.
I don't know, I imagine most Tokyo "rejects" would live around those spots.

So they'd be the most *$+#&- of Saitama.

mothy
March 7th, 2015, 21:13
The problem with Saitama close to Tokyo, other than the people of Saitama being assholes, is that the rest of Saitama is a dusty wasteland. With the other prefectures that border Tokyo you can head deeper into the prefecture and find amazing things. In Saitama you venture away from the city and you just find inbreds growing spinach in the dust. Plus all that dust gets blown into the cities. But the racist locals insist it's all from China. Just like the rusted bicycles that fill every river in the cities.

Apollo87
March 9th, 2015, 14:05
I live right on the border of Gunma and Saitama. The nice thing about living around here is that its only an hour and a half away from central Tokyo so you can experience both life in the countryside during the week AND enjoy the big city on the weekends.

Gunma is pretty cool too - its known for onsen, outdoor sports and has some great mountains for snowboarding. I highly recommend Takaragawa Onsen, snowboarding, rafting, canyoning and bungee all in the Minakami area. Probably only an hour and a half away from wherever you are placed in Saitama:) Try to meet some of the Gunma JETs at your Tokyo Orientation! We're all really friendly and welcoming.

Anything else you'd like to know about, feel free to shoot me a PM.

JET ProgramCoordinator SF
March 10th, 2015, 01:58
Eriasu - As a newbie please be aware that there are a handful of longtime posters on this site to whom the term "jaded" is an understatement. The old, grumpy, hates-everything-about-Japan-but-for-some-reason-doesn't-just-leave English teacher is definitely a type of expat that is common throughout Japan. Please keep that in mind when you read what people post.

As far as Saitama goes, it is one of the more populated JET areas, so you'll be able to meet a lot of other current JETs there. Given its close proximity to Tokyo it can often be seen as a borough / commuter prefecture. I've never heard of Saitama being dangerous. While actual crime rate is extremely low throughout Japan, organized crime (yakuza) are still fairly strong. They have a larger presence in more rural communities though (Kyushu, Tohoku). If anything the running joke about Saitama is that it's "Dasai-tama", which means "Uncool Saitama". More than likely Saitama is seen to be "uncool" given its close proximity to Tokyo, which is by and large the "coolest" place in Japan.

Anyways I think it's a great placement and you'll have a great time there!

Ini
March 10th, 2015, 08:14
yakuza? I'd love it if saitama was full of Yakuza. Its the gangs of bosozoku and petty criminals trying to impress someone enough to get into the yakuza that are the problem. Its not the crime thats the problem its the type of crime.
http://www.japantoday.com/search?q=saitama

seeing eye dog stabbed
swan shot with crossbow
111 dead crows??
man dies after 36 hospitals reject him

mothy
March 10th, 2015, 08:59
I love how whenever I share my knowledge on Saitama built over 7 years of living there, someone who has never been there calls me jaded.

Apollo87
March 10th, 2015, 09:17
OP, you'll be fine. Don't let posters like INI and Mothy colour your perspective before you even get here. I've been here for almost 5 years just across your prefectural border and seen my fair share of trouble. Even stuff like Bozosoku gangs and "yankii" punk youth are more annoying (or amusing, depending on how you look at i) artifacts of Japanese culture than legitimate threats to your personal safety.

Focus on the positives - stable job, lots of travel, opportunity to get fluent in Japanese, cultural immersion, personal growth, etc. And if it turns out that you really don't like your particular placement, you're a stones throw from the biggest metropolitan area in the world. Come here, get your bearings, then look for a different job. A positive mentality, just like a negative one, is often a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Jiggit
March 10th, 2015, 09:24
I think Apollo is right, mothy. It's not uncommon to feel some frustrations like yours when dealing with culture shock.

Everyone has gripes about their own region, but it's important to put them in perspective. Sometimes I feel dissatisfied with my placement too, but I would never say it's the "worst". It's not like I've been to every single prefecture in Japan.

In fact, I know of only one man who could provide such insight. Can we get Thomas Simmons in here to make some sense of all this?

Apollo87
March 10th, 2015, 09:32
Yes Jiggit, you are right. Thomas Simmons can provide us with the insight we need as he has visited all 47 prefectures twice. Unfortunately he is playing celebrity in a sea of elementary school children trying to get his autograph all day today so I don't think he can jump into the thread right now. However, I shall let him know that he is being summoned in the great halls of ITIL.

Ini
March 10th, 2015, 09:41
Ok, I cant say for sure if its the worst in japan as there isnt enough money in the world to make me spend an extended period of time west of mt fuji. Saying that, those backward places aren't really japan. As far as Kanto and Tohoku go Saitama is the worst prefecture by a country mile.

johnny
March 10th, 2015, 12:39
Apollo and Jiggit are right. You'll do just fine in Saitama.

ALTInsiderFY
March 10th, 2015, 13:40
The bright eyed, cheerful, Won't tell you the truth about Japan for some reason and wants everything to visit their blog English teacher is definitely a type of expat that is common throughout Japan.

Agree on all counts. This goes for your superiors, trainers, person who's job your taking over, as well.

With what you're talking about though I think its more a case of, "well I'll let you figure out the bad parts of the job, come to my blog for fun stuff" rather than "THE ALT JOB IS THE MOST PERFECT JOB IN THE WORLD!! ITS AWESOME 4EVAAAA" though I know some people do fall into the latter category.

Frap
March 10th, 2015, 16:03
Maybe you should just make your own mind up, Eriasu.

mothy
March 10th, 2015, 18:37
I don't think anyone is saying not to.

March 11th, 2015, 07:56
As a newbie please be aware that there are a handful of longtime posters on this site to whom the term "carebear bullshitter" is an understatement. The bright eyed, cheerful, Won't tell you the truth about Japan for some reason and wants everything to visit their shitty blog English teacher is definitely a type of expat that is common throughout Japan. Please keep that in mind when you read what stupid people on the internet post.

You'll certainly find your fair share of Japan apologists, but don't you dare call me one. I give it to all my JETs straight and as unbiased as I can be. The important thing people need to realize is that life happens wherever you go. Wherever you go you will have ups and downs, high and lows. Too often people people confuse the normal downs in life as being Japan's fault. Not getting along with your coworkers, trouble with your car repair man, people being arrogant - these are things that happen to you no matter where you live in the world.

I don't want any of my JETs going to Japan thinking that Japan is a magical land full of sugar fairies and gum drops. Telling people that is just setting them up for a major let down. Those are the people that become the type to constantly insult and berate anything Japan related. Telling new JETs that Japan is a horrible place where every day you're a victim of microaggressions and no one will appreciate you is just as bad, if not worse, as telling them that everything will be awesome.

The best way I can describe JET is that it's an opportunity for opportunities. True, there is a lot of random chance with your placement, and some JETs just get a placement that is really difficult for them (an outgoing people person is placed on a small island, an avid camper is placed in the heart of Tokyo, you don't get along with your JTEs even though your predecessor did, etc.). That random chance happens whenever you make a big change - when you go to university or take a new job. I hear from about half of the JETs I send at the half-year mark on how they're doing and some JETs are having a miserable time while others are having the time of their life, and there's everything in between. Set your expectations to be that your time on JET will be just like any other job or location that you live in, with both the possibility of some great and some horrible things happening to you, and you'll be fine.

uthinkimlost?
March 11th, 2015, 08:09
-Mike Drop-

Damn, BJ got schooled.

Ini
March 11th, 2015, 09:13
Saitama:

Saitama city/east
pretty big place, has everything you'd want from a city. (music, sports, bars, resturants, parks, museums, shopping, red light district, street fights)

West.
Pretty inaka, not much to do here but less of an asshole factor. More "natural beauty". Gets day trippers coming out from tokyo when they want to see a tree. has a few major roads and trains. hour from saitama city, 90min from tokyo.

North.
pretty quiet. not much going on here. medium sized towns. couple of major roads and train lines. bustling bosozoku community who flip between going up into gunma for a territory fight or down into tokyo to try and join the yakuza. A decent selection of large shopping malls dotted about to make your life easier. can get into Saitama city in 20-30 min or tokyo in an hour.

South.
Motherfucking costco son, get that pizza, boy! Some US bases so you can go wave your flag and get into a fight with some drunk service men.

johnny
March 11th, 2015, 09:14
You'll certainly find your fair share of Japan apologists, but don't you dare call me one. I give it to all my JETs straight and as unbiased as I can be. The important thing people need to realize is that life happens wherever you go. Wherever you go you will have ups and downs, high and lows. Too often people people confuse the normal downs in life as being Japan's fault. Not getting along with your coworkers, trouble with your car repair man, people being arrogant - these are things that happen to you no matter where you live in the world.

I don't want any of my JETs going to Japan thinking that Japan is a magical land full of sugar fairies and gum drops. Telling people that is just setting them up for a major let down. Those are the people that become the type to constantly insult and berate anything Japan related. Telling new JETs that Japan is a horrible place where every day you're a victim of microaggressions and no one will appreciate you is just as bad, if not worse, as telling them that everything will be awesome.

The best way I can describe JET is that it's an opportunity for opportunities. True, there is a lot of random chance with your placement, and some JETs just get a placement that is really difficult for them (an outgoing people person is placed on a small island, an avid camper is placed in the heart of Tokyo, you don't get along with your JTEs even though your predecessor did, etc.). That random chance happens whenever you make a big change - when you go to university or take a new job. I hear from about half of the JETs I send at the half-year mark on how they're doing and some JETs are having a miserable time while others are having the time of their life, and there's everything in between. Set your expectations to be that your time on JET will be just like any other job or location that you live in, with both the possibility of some great and some horrible things happening to you, and you'll be fine.

Good post. The part I put in bold really resonated with me because I catch myself doing this from time to time. If I am pissed off at a rude driver for example, for some reason I'll blame Japan for that one person being a dick. Doing that not only makes me the dick, but makes me miserable too.

So I try hard not to blame Japan for any of my problems, because as you said, these problems pop up everywhere.

Second point, I love the Simpsons allusion.

Also, to add to this, I know a couple of JETs in Saitama and they are having a really good time. I don't know whether or not they love Saitama, but they are happy enough there. Life is what you make of it.

mothy
March 11th, 2015, 09:27
The people who are rushing to defend Saitama (despite never spending any time there) seems to be arguing against a point that no one is making. Of course you can be happy in Saitama. There are people who are happy in Detroit. You can be happy anywhere.
If your goal was to get placed close to Tokyo you'll probably be as happy as hell with your placement.
But none of that changes the fact that Saitama is one of the ugliest prefectures, the people, at least in the areas close to Tokyo, are some of the rudest people I've ever met (judging them by Japanese rules of politeness), and, importantly to JETs, the BoE here is incompetent. And that's just a short list.
Why do people have such a hard time hearing flaws?

MikeCarter
March 11th, 2015, 09:35
The people who are rushing to defend Saitama (despite never spending any time there) seems to be arguing against a point that no one is making. Of course you can be happy in Saitama. There are people who are happy in Detroit. You can be happy anywhere.
If your goal was to get placed close to Tokyo you'll probably be as happy as hell with your placement.
But none of that changes the fact that Saitama is one of the ugliest prefectures, the people, at least in the areas close to Tokyo, are some of the rudest people I've ever met (judging them by Japanese rules of politeness), and, importantly to JETs, the BoE here is incompetent. And that's just a short list.

Honestly, what do all of you talking about how terrible the place is hope to even accomplish? All it serves to do is make the guy feel bad about his placement.

Not only is it pointless, it's detrimental.

mothy
March 11th, 2015, 09:40
Is it? I prefer to go into a new situation with as much knowledge, good or bad, as I can. Especially since OP is an early arrival and won't have other new prefectural JETs experiencing the same things for the first time I believe this knowledge can be helpful.

MikeCarter
March 11th, 2015, 09:46
Is it? I prefer to go into a new situation with as much knowledge, good or bad, as I can. Especially since OP is an early arrival and won't have other new prefectural JETs experiencing the same things for the first time I believe this knowledge can be helpful.

Except broadly saying the place is bad isn't useful knowledge...

Do you recommend he does something different because it's Saitama? Is there somewhere he should avoid? Something he should do in preparation?

mothy
March 11th, 2015, 10:02
Until I know his(?) exact placement, such details would be impossible to give. But I think Ini and I have painted an overall accurate picture of Saitama, and I believe that is more helpful than a rainbows up the ass answer like, "Congratulations!! You're gonna love it here!"

Apollo87
March 11th, 2015, 12:44
The problem with Saitama close to Tokyo, other than the people of Saitama being assholes, is that the rest of Saitama is a dusty wasteland. With the other prefectures that border Tokyo you can head deeper into the prefecture and find amazing things. In Saitama you venture away from the city and you just find inbreds growing spinach in the dust. Plus all that dust gets blown into the cities. But the racist locals insist it's all from China. Just like the rusted bicycles that fill every river in the cities.

As a new JET, the above is the last thing I would want to hear about my placement. Even if some aspects of it were true, framing everything so negatively in that manner is not some sort of valiant public service to the new JETs.

Saitama:

Saitama city/east
pretty big place, has everything you'd want from a city. (music, sports, bars, resturants, parks, museums, shopping, red light district, street fights)

West.
Pretty inaka, not much to do here but less of an asshole factor. More "natural beauty". Gets day trippers coming out from tokyo when they want to see a tree. has a few major roads and trains. hour from saitama city, 90min from tokyo.

North.
pretty quiet. not much going on here. medium sized towns. couple of major roads and train lines. bustling bosozoku community who flip between going up into gunma for a territory fight or down into tokyo to try and join the yakuza. A decent selection of large shopping malls dotted about to make your life easier. can get into Saitama city in 20-30 min or tokyo in an hour.

South.
Motherfucking costco son, get that pizza, boy! Some US bases so you can go wave your flag and get into a fight with some drunk service men.

Now this was actually pretty measured and useful. Good job, Ini.

mothy
March 11th, 2015, 13:18
As a new JET, the above is the last thing I would want to hear about my placement. Even if some aspects of it were true, framing everything so negatively in that manner is not some sort of valiant public service to the new JETs.

It's exactly the kind of thing I wish someone had told me. I guess some people like rainbow anal penetration more than others. Different strokes for different folks. Quit being so intolerant.

Zolrak 22
March 11th, 2015, 13:23
Maybe I'm a masochist, but I'd rather assume the worse, thus shattering my negative perceptions when I'm there than thinking it's all a holiday and then hating it there when my positive predictions and assumptions were wrong.

Everyone is happy to tell you how good things are somewhere, unless they are just complaining, it's harder for someone to tell you the bad from their city/home.

It's "their" place after all.

Gizmotech
March 11th, 2015, 13:47
While I think Mothy might go a bit overboard, reality is more pleasant than being shocked when you get there. My pred said life where I am is great, before I came, and while I might agree with them now, there are MANY things they could have told me about the area that would have better prepared me. They could have told me it was horribly isolated and requires a vehicle, they could have told me it's far easier socialize on the other side of the valley than here... they could have told me all the negative things in my school so I couldhave been better prepared for my job.

As it stands, I got a sunshine care package just before I came, and it was a colossal waste of an email. I would've preferred the negatives to wade through and find the positives myself.

Jiggit
March 11th, 2015, 13:53
If I could be optimistic, I would. Since I can not, optimism is grating for me, and I wish optimists could understand that not everyone is encouraged as easily as they are.

But I do envy those who believe the world is a good place. I can certainly see why they'd need to be constantly assured of it.

Virgil
March 11th, 2015, 14:50
I came over pretty jaded and ready for the worst (thanks ITIL and US education system). I think I was much better for it, and have been pleasantly surprised by the many positive aspects. The negative ones I was ready for, and they don't seem so insurmountable.

word
March 11th, 2015, 16:33
I'm generally pretty optimistic, but I also think that I'm kinda stupid for being that way.

Virgil
March 11th, 2015, 16:34
I'm generally pretty optimistic, but I also think that I'm kinda stupid for being that way.
It' OK. I have to work to be a pessimistic. I'm so naturally trusting that I have gotten in some really stupid situations from it.

March 12th, 2015, 01:18

Not to feed the trolls, but let me give you some feedback. The way you phrase things is extremist and off-putting. As soon as you start to paint an entire prefecture as ugly and all of its inhabitants as rude any rational person is going to roll their eyes. Anytime you say "Everyone from this area is ______" you're going to lose your audience. Furthermore, hyperbole such as "I guess some people like rainbow anal penetration more than others" only furthers to weaken your point. What objective person actually speaks like that? Those are the words of someone so extremely biased that they can't even realize that their choice of words are hindering the point that they're trying to make.

I suppose the smart thing for me to do in this case would be to not say anything and just continue to let you say ridiculous and off-putting things. It only furthers to weaken your argument against Saitama and to make anything you say in the future seem highly judgmental. But I think every JET has a right to voice their opinion and be heard, so long as they do it in a constructive way.

You should also recognize that your subjective experience does not equal absolute truth. The reason why posters here are combative with you and other naysayers on this is that you're trying to pass off your personal experience as fact. That upsets me. It's not fact, so don't post it as such. Talk about your experiences in terms of your subjective view. Whenever people ask me how I liked Japan I tell them "I still like the culture but I don't like the society. I love the food, music, fables, etc., but I didn't like the vertical society and all of the obligations that people have to one another. I realized during my time over there that I'm a California boy through and through and prefer a more horizontal society." It's honest but it's also self-aware of its subjectivity. It conveys to people that they might want to prepare for challenges with the way society works, but doesn't make the decision for them that they'll definitely hate it.

I invite you to change your tone from "This place sucks rhinoceros balls" to "I personally didn't get along with my BOE and the area wasn't a good fit for me. I found people to be rude and the area to be unpleasant, but I know other people really enjoyed their time here. If you're the type of person who loves the quiet outdoors and nonbiri lifestyle you'll enjoy it here, but if you're more of a city slicker type, you'll probably be spending most of your weekends traveling to Tokyo." Something like that gets your point across and now we'll actually listen to what you have to say.

OtherPulse
March 12th, 2015, 03:15
SF Coordinator is the hero ITIL needs. Pessimists are annoying.

patjs
March 12th, 2015, 03:21
Also remember that if you are a newbie to Japan even Saitama is going to seem really cool for a while. If there are shortcomings to Saitama (which I would say maybe there are but this is true of any place in Japan) then it's going to take you a while to get over the first year of "ERMAGERD JAPAN" that most people have regardless of where they are placed.

Viral
March 12th, 2015, 06:25
It's nice to see some optimism on here for a change. It's quite funny to see the multiple year JET peeps saying they hate the place whilst continuing to stay on for extra years.

Also, it would be great if you generally kept the over the top pessimism and trolling to the lounge or elsewhere. It's put me off replying at all on this forum, and many others (should go and check the FB group - people have actively said they registered on here but don't post at all as people get berated too easily). Heck, I've even decided to stop posting here as the community on the FB group is far easier going. The only pro ITIL have over that are our resident coordinators who can help during the application stage.

mothy
March 12th, 2015, 06:45
Wide eyed optimism annoys me. So what? It takes all types to make the world go round. And notice you're not getting anyone running to the defense of Saitama who has actually spent any time there? Isn't it possible I'm completely right about the place I've called home for almost 8 years?
You all come off as very close minded. But if you always need to put your hand on the stove to see if it's hot yourself, go ahead and live your life that way.

Ini
March 12th, 2015, 07:07
It's quite funny to see the multiple year JET peeps saying they hate the place whilst continuing to stay on for extra years.

Not saying dont come, just saying be prepared for when your friends in other areas are talking about their close ties to the community, their super helpful BOE, their wonderfully behaved students, their small schools, their polite neighbours etc you are going to be sat there with a single solitary tear rolling down your cheek. But dry your eyes young shaver for unlike those nerds you can hope on a train and go experience the wonders of modern life while those goobers are stuck living 20 years behind the rest of the world in the inaka.

mothy
March 12th, 2015, 07:31
Exactly. I haven't heard anyone say not to come.

uthinkimlost?
March 12th, 2015, 08:19
It's nice to see some optimism on here for a change. It's quite funny to see the multiple year JET peeps saying they hate the place whilst continuing to stay on for extra years.

Also, it would be great if you generally kept the over the top pessimism and trolling to the lounge or elsewhere. It's put me off replying at all on this forum, and many others (should go and check the FB group - people have actively said they registered on here but don't post at all as people get berated too easily). Heck, I've even decided to stop posting here as the community on the FB group is far easier going. The only pro ITIL have over that are our resident coordinators who can help during the application stage.

Have the following occurred to you at all?

1) We're on the facebook groups as well. ^.^ (At least the ones not full of only applicants.) ^.^

B) One of the first posts in this thread mentioned that Saitama is a running "joke". (It isn't funny to mothy.)

III) What Bunky did was trolling and baiting, and he was punished for it.

100) Optimism is fantastic. Go into life with a strong hope that things will turn out well. You should, however, be prepared if it doesn't. The -reason- those that have been here a while are more pragmatic and a bit jaded is because those are the type of people that can tolerate such massive shifts in their reality and not lose it. JET, and Japan, ARE massive shifts.

tl;dr
Go in ready for fun, be prepared for your thrice daily kancho.

Jiggit
March 12th, 2015, 08:40
For what it's worth, Viral, I like my area of Japan and my life here. By and large.

If you want to be optimistic and encourage others, the facebook page for new JETs sounds great. If you're looking for real information from people who have lived here for a long time, that's what we'll give you. Both Ini and mothy have given a lot of actual information and advice in this thread. I'd personally rather have that than baseless encouragement from people who've never been to Japan, let alone my prospective prefecture.

Ini
March 12th, 2015, 09:27
also mothy is a housewife and I'm too beaten up and haggard to appreciate all saitama has to offer. When i was a young viral JET full of piss and vinegar I used to drag my arse to tokyo every weekend despite it being best part of 2:30 hours away and didnt give a crap about my working life short of doing the token gaijin thing. In those days if you said I could live in the greater saitama area I would have bitten your hand off. If you are coming on JET for the traditional Japan experience then saitama might/will disappoint. If you are coming to gain teaching experience Saitama might/will disappoint. If you are looking to live in Japan long term saitama might/will disappoint. If you are a mature type of soul looking to broaden your horizons and raise your children in a pleasant environment saitama might/will disappoint. If you value your working conditions above your social life then saitama might/will dissapoint. If you are in your early 20s, want to go out and have some fun, "teach" a few classes, get a picture of a japanese sports day for your facebook page, cruise around tokyo, slam some poon before going home after a year with some stories to tell then saitama might/will be right up your alley.

mothy
March 12th, 2015, 10:01
Beautifully put.

Virgil
March 12th, 2015, 10:07
Ini: That was beautiful. I have a tear trying to escape my eye but I am suppressing it with all of my might.

greyjoy
March 12th, 2015, 14:55
When i was a young viral JET

sourdoughsushi
March 12th, 2015, 22:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExNPiz28-88

mothy
March 12th, 2015, 23:47
That has nothing to do with saitama.

mothy
March 16th, 2015, 11:41
The takasaki line was just extended past ueno. I guess Saitama just got a shade better. See? I'm not all negative.

Apollo87
March 16th, 2015, 13:38
The takasaki line was just extended past ueno. I guess Saitama just got a shade better. See? I'm not all negative.

Mothy being positive, Ini defending my honor, BJ being exiled - there just might be hope for this place after all.

Zolrak 22
March 16th, 2015, 13:46
there just might be hope for this place after all.

I knew you were behind this.

You were plotting our downfall all along.

http://new4.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/Camera+filters+also+add+a+_7380f819e3a1ba004b008370b66be811.gif

johnny
March 16th, 2015, 14:09
Mothy being positive, Ini defending my honor, BJ being exiled - there just might be hope for this place after all.

BJ is a king among men. We're all worse off because of his ban.

Jiggit
March 16th, 2015, 14:47
BJ is a king among men. We're all worse off because of his ban.

What's a king to a god?

haitch40
March 16th, 2015, 15:10
What's a king to a god?
The chosen one.

Divine right of kings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_right_of_kings)

Jiggit
March 16th, 2015, 17:16
Yes, well done. Some of us managed to take A level history and keep up with modern culture.

Tyr
March 18th, 2015, 04:55
Saitama...the array of places there must mark it as the prefecture that has the biggest range between its great and its shitty placements.
You range from being pretty much in Tokyo in all but post code through to being in the crappiest of bed town for bed town for bed town never ending housing estates.