PDA

View Full Version : Making cheese in Japan

Virgil
March 9th, 2015, 10:16
Since you can't find cheese this country, (and when you do it is so expensive) I am going to start making my own.

I'm wondering if there is anyone on this board who has done this.
There are a few things that are going to be difficult to find, and I may have to import them.

Calcium Chloride
C201 thermophilic culture
Rennet

I prefer to get them locally online, or from a local shop. I do live near a very large city, so it might be possible. I don't speak much J-go though, so that is my biggest roadblock as far as an in-person purchase goes. Online, within Japan is best!

Jiggit
March 9th, 2015, 10:22
What kind of cheese are you having trouble getting?

I'm not going to disagree that it's not as available as I'd like, but there are definitely easier ways to get it than to make it yourself. By all means you should give it a try if you're looking for a new hobby, but I wouldn't do it just to save time/money.

Virgil
March 9th, 2015, 10:23
It's something I want to do, rather than a necessity.

Virgil
March 9th, 2015, 10:24
I specifically want to make cheese curds, which are probably impossible to find here.

coop52
March 9th, 2015, 10:28
RealWindyCity used to make mozzarella all the time here, but he doesn't really post much anymore. Maybe send him a PM?

uthinkimlost?
March 9th, 2015, 10:43
I specifically want to make cheese curds, which are probably impossible to find here.

Next you'll start talking about poutine!

Virgil
March 9th, 2015, 10:43
I've never tried it. Looks like artery clogging goodness though.

Wasabi
March 9th, 2015, 12:40
The only way to eat cheese curds are as part of poutine or battered and deep fried.

Ini
March 9th, 2015, 12:47
Just scrape it off your bell end

Virgil
March 9th, 2015, 13:11
Let's not talk about my sin here. Just cheese making. Not the dick kind. I'm pretty sure there is a hummus thread for that.