PDA

View Full Version : NTT/ISPs and the interwebs

webstaa
March 12th, 2015, 08:33
So my internet's been out for 3 days now - after 18 months of working just fine. Connection to the ISP is gone - I can't connect to their PPPoE server (and thus no DNS etc.) Spent the last two on the phone with my ISP - doing the basic troubleshooting and trying to get them to escalate the issue (my hardware isn't the problem) and apparently the ISP support doesn't have the tools to test my fiber drop or even ping my modem... Only NTT can do that. I'd like to point out that I tried my best using the ISP's English support line - their support staff doesn't seem as well trained on the technical side, but they do have great English. I gave up on that and called the Japanese support line - where I actually got someone I could communicate with... and troubleshot for about an hour, redoing troubleshooting I'd done a couple times over the last two days.

The English line wanted me to call NTT, but gave me the NTT software support line number - I called it (for shits and giggles) and they gave me the run-around - couldn't connect me with actual support and kept repeating 'no touchi' when when I asked him about the modem. The Japanese support line staff gave me two different numbers (toll-free from land-lines or a number for mobiles.) But now I have to call this NTT other number and hope for the best. But this time, I'm going to try and have my supervisor do the talking on the phone, or maybe someone else from the BoE who can talk over the phone for me.

Anybody else ever had to call NTT for anything?

Jiggit
March 12th, 2015, 08:43
Have you not touched the modem at all? This is going to sound cliched, but I've had to reset my NTT modem several times now.

Gunjumero
March 12th, 2015, 08:49
Random checklist to do when you have no internet access:

- Like Jiggit said, unplug modem , 10 seconds (you want those beautiful capacitors to fully discharge of course)
-unplug/replug all cables from it and to the devices they're connected to (a dumb loose cable somewhere, not fully making contact, sucks to wait for days for that)
-can you try another computer/game console/phone to be sure you're machine is not at fault ?

-are your using a personal router along with their modem ?

webstaa
March 12th, 2015, 09:04
Random checklist to do when you have no internet access:

- Like Jiggit said, unplug modem , 10 seconds (you want those beautiful capacitors to fully discharge of course)
-unplug/replug all cables from it and to the devices they're connected to (a dumb loose cable somewhere, not fully making contact, sucks to wait for days for that)
-can you try another computer/game console/phone to be sure you're machine is not at fault ?

-are your using a personal router along with their modem ?

Hate to be an asshole to you guys, but that's step zero in the 'let's fuck around with the support line' for 2 days redoing troubleshooting I did on the first day.

Here's a list of things that I probably should have appended to the first post:
1) Checked NIC drivers. (No problems there.)
2) Restarted the ONU, router, computer.
3) Connected directly to the ONU (did this with two different computers, same issue.)
4) Replaced the cables between the ONU and router, and the router and the computer. And again for the direct connection.
5) My PPPoE info is not the issue either - double and triple checked the router's PPPoE settings (hey, its worked for 18 months, but there might have been a power surge or something... nope, all the info is still there. Created a new profile with the same info, no change.)

The issues is either the modem (ONU) or the fiber drop itself. The real issue being that my ISP (OCN) doesn't have the support tools to even check the status of my modem - apparently they have to have NTT do that - and they can't (or won't) contact NTT with the information they DO have.

Jiggit
March 12th, 2015, 09:08
I don't think you're going to get anywhere with the ISP. Frankly I have no idea what they even do. When I first came to Japan, I made a mistake with payments and ended up not paying 4 months and getting disconnected. I eventually got reconnected without contacting OCN once. My contract with OCN wasn't even cancelled. I dealt with NTT the entire time.

I can't help, but I've been there and I know how frustrating it is trying to get anything out of them. Best of luck.

Ini
March 12th, 2015, 09:32
OCN are normally pretty good. Whenever I've had any issues because they are all owned by NTT they just conference called the NTT guys in and we had a super sexy three way until the problems were solved. Maybe they are just fucking with you?

Jiggit
March 12th, 2015, 09:34
To be fair never having to deal with OCN may just mean that they're doing their job perfectly.

Ini
March 12th, 2015, 09:37
I sometimes get the impression the OCN and NTT call centre is in the same office and they are sat giggling to themselves when a call comes in and they spend the next 30min just redirecting you down the line of desks.

Jiggit
March 12th, 2015, 09:41
I mean, the concept of ISPs using other provider's lines is not unique to Japan. Don't most UK ISPs simply work through BT? But in the UK you only deal with the ISP, and they sort everything else out themselves. You don't just give them a token monthly fee and then do the rest of it through BT yourself.

word
March 12th, 2015, 09:58
I recently had a KDDI guy drop by trying to sell me gigabit-level fiber. I was tempted but confused 'cause he said it was available in my area but I didn't think NTT offered it.

I might still go for it; apparently it would drop my bills a little, and if it's as fast as they say...

...the only thing that makes me hesitate is that my current ISP is some no-name company that has been pretty cool and doesn't seem to have any issue with MG and I's near-constant [legal acquisition] of stuff. I have no reason to think KDDI would be any different but it still makes me a little nervous.

webstaa
March 12th, 2015, 10:37
I was pretty incandescent about it on Tuesday - I called the OCN technical support line and mistakenly chose the English option like they'd be able to help. The tech didn't understand the error code I gave her, and I don't think they knew what a DNS server was at all.

The second time was much better - the OCN tech wanted me to go through all the same troubleshooting (par for the course) and at least took the time to escalate to the next tier, but the NTT line closes at 5, so they couldn't call them for me (OCN desk is open till 7.)

Although supposedly my supervisor is good with computers (I don't believe that for a second, but I have no real evidence to the contrary, so I'll enlist his support to at least try to get NTT on the same page.)

The worst complication is that my phone's connection was much slower yesterday as well. Although that could be caused by any number of things. Going from a 34inch screen to a 5inch screen for entertainment is... a little awkward.

Ini
March 12th, 2015, 11:43
getting too technical will get you nowhere. Just be polite, follow the steps they tell you despite knowing they wont work then ask them to send a tech out. he'll show up, follow the same steps, get nowhere, then he'll phone up his office, they will press some buttons on their end and it will magically work. Its Japan baby - you gotta play the game.

word
March 12th, 2015, 11:47
getting too technical will get you nowhere. Just be polite, follow the steps they tell you despite knowing they wont work then ask them to send a tech out. he'll show up, follow the same steps, get nowhere, then he'll phone up his office, they will press some buttons on their end and it will magically work. Its Japan baby - you gotta play the game.

word

Jiggit
March 12th, 2015, 11:55
That was my experience. "Oh no we can't reconnect your modem from our end even though we could disconnect it from our end no problem. You'll have to wait for us to send you a new one".

starfish
March 12th, 2015, 15:30
...the only thing that makes me hesitate is that my current ISP is some no-name company that has been pretty cool and doesn't seem to have any issue with MG and I's near-constant [legal acquisition] of stuff. I have no reason to think KDDI would be any different but it still makes me a little nervous.

Aren't there cheap services now (seedboxes?) that will download your [public domain content] for you, then you just download from them over a standard HTTPS/SFTP connection? At that point it's just normal encrypted internet traffic that has nothing to do with torrenting or [mirroring Linux repositories] as far as anybody's concerned.

Failing that, what I've started doing is downloading my [rainbow tables] to an Amazon EC2 instance and retrieving it via SFTP. Any misguided legal issues then become an issue between Amazon, me and the lawyers, and if Amazon mistakenly drops me as a result then so be it-- the ISP never gets involved and my home connection is never threatened. Costs me like 5-10 bucks a month now when/if I run it, but was entirely free for the first year.

webstaa
March 13th, 2015, 08:33
Aren't there cheap services now (seedboxes?) that will download your [public domain content] for you, then you just download from them over a standard HTTPS/SFTP connection? At that point it's just normal encrypted internet traffic that has nothing to do with torrenting or [mirroring Linux repositories] as far as anybody's concerned.

Failing that, what I've started doing is downloading my [rainbow tables] to an Amazon EC2 instance and retrieving it via SFTP. Any misguided legal issues then become an issue between Amazon, me and the lawyers, and if Amazon mistakenly drops me as a result then so be it-- the ISP never gets involved and my home connection is never threatened. Costs me like 5-10 bucks a month now when/if I run it, but was entirely free for the first year.

Someone I know that is totally not me has a server stateside for exactly this reason. Although a VPN, even just using something like Hamachi or Teamviewer would be easier.

EDIT: Spent all of 1.5 hours on the phone with NTT/my supervisor. They conference called OCN - apparently the tech I talked to actually put notes about what troubleshooting I did on my account. Which is nice. Turns out, I wasn't the only one affected. Anybody with fiber service in the neighborhood apparently had been out since Monday night - the storm apparently took out a fiber trunk. Which wasn't noted anywhere on their 'Construction and Outages' page. They had already dispatched a fiber tech - I had internet back around 6 PM. Also, I learned that I'm the only one in the apartment complex that has fiber service. Everybody else apparently uses ADSL.

TL;DR Not my fault, rain goblins ate the princess.

Virgil
March 13th, 2015, 08:38
I use peerblock to mask my activity of torrented [Linux distributions]. It has never failed me in the US, and my friends would get their internet temporarily shut off because their ISP's did not like them downloading so much [Open source software].

It's not a 100% solution, but it seems to work well enough. Even doing it through a VPN you can land in hot water if they want you enough.

webstaa
March 13th, 2015, 09:11
I use peerblock to mask my activity of torrented [Linux distributions]. It has never failed me in the US, and my friends would get their internet temporarily shut off because their ISP's did not like them downloading so much [Open source software].

It's not a 100% solution, but it seems to work well enough. Even doing it through a VPN you can land in hot water if they want you enough.

Data limits are pretty much the devil. Everybody likes to laugh at the Canadians, but Americans have them too - you pay for 50/10Mb, but if you go over 200 GB downloaded or 20 GB uploaded in a month, they'll throttle you down to 5/1Mb instead. Which sucks if you're using a VPN for off-site backups even only once a month.

If the ISP doesn't like your VPN, call them up and explain that you need it for work etc. They'll usually leave you alone after that. Aside from the data limit issues.

Virgil
March 13th, 2015, 09:44
Data limits are pretty much the devil. Everybody likes to laugh at the Canadians, but Americans have them too - you pay for 50/10Mb, but if you go over 200 GB downloaded or 20 GB uploaded in a month, they'll throttle you down to 5/1Mb instead. Which sucks if you're using a VPN for off-site backups even only once a month.

If the ISP doesn't like your VPN, call them up and explain that you need it for work etc. They'll usually leave you alone after that. Aside from the data limit issues.
My limit back home was 350 GB on a 100 mbit cable connection. Even that was a soft cap. I never went over it, and I am a data hog.