PDA

View Full Version : FBI Background Check delayed?

hiddenlee22
March 17th, 2015, 04:44
Hey all!

So as we round the corner in finding out whether or not our dreams have been crushed, some questions (at least for me) have popped up, the main of which is the FBI Background Check. From what I've heard/read, there is a delay (around 14 weeks??) for these checks. Does anyone know if this is true, if so, did the program expect us to get these checks done prior to finding out the interview results?

Also, what is the latest we need them in by (if we get in)?

- Gracias

Zolrak 22
March 17th, 2015, 05:10
did the program expect us to get these checks done prior to finding out the interview results?

Highly unlikely, if so then I'm already out of the running. [emoji14]

hiddenlee22
March 17th, 2015, 05:17
Highly unlikely, if so then I'm already out of the running. [emoji14]

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. It doesn't even say the latest they need them in by on the official website (if it does, I'm blind).

And who knows, we might need to know this information in a couple of weeks :cool:

ambrosse
March 17th, 2015, 05:24
They wouldn't expect us to do really anything prior to knowing the results.
In the end, they know that FBI/background checks are slow. By putting an absolute restriction on it, many people would probably not be able to go.

If I got accepted, I'd be on my way to get everything taken care of the next day (except for the medical nonsense...offices are busy as hell...all the time now).
In short, don't worry about it.

Zolrak 22
March 17th, 2015, 05:27
https://youtu.be/d-diB65scQU

hiddenlee22
March 17th, 2015, 05:50
They wouldn't expect us to do really anything prior to knowing the results.
In the end, they know that FBI/background checks are slow. By putting an absolute restriction on it, many people would probably not be able to go.

That's what I am going to do. I was only confused because some people are saying that, during interviews, consulates were telling them to get a jump on the paperwork.

ambrosse
March 17th, 2015, 07:25
during interviews, consulates were telling them to get a jump on the paperwork

The people that were told that...were probably those who were given a top score.
I was definitely not one of those people.

Cbill1
March 17th, 2015, 08:44
From what I remember from being shortlisted last year, there are usually two different sets of documents with two different deadlines.

The first set, which is due about a month after the interview results come out, is all the forms confirming that you'll go and proof that you've applied for the FBI background check.

The second set, which was due in late June, was all of the health forms and the actual background check. Ideally, applying by the consulate deadline for the first set of documents would guarantee that your background check would arrive by the second deadline, but there are a lot of requests around that time every year and shit happens. IIRC, there were a couple people who actually didn't get their background check in by the deadline, but they notified the consulate and were able to work something out, I think. I forget the timeframe, but after a certain amount of time you're able to call to check on it; I've talked to a couple people who did that, and their checks got sent out the next day.

This is just speaking for the US, but I don't think there are any documents you need to worry about before the interview results come out.

The people that were told that...were probably those who were given a top score.
I was definitely not one of those people.

That probably varies by consulate, not score, lol. I didn't talk to anyone else who was shortlisted out of Nashville who was told to get a jump start on their paperwork.

Sherlock
March 17th, 2015, 12:09
Is there any reason we can't apply for one before we hear about acceptance? Do we need to inform the FBI that we're requesting the check because we're hoping to work in Japan? Does JET have any special requirements? I've done the whole FBI background check in the past for my current job but I actually had a concrete job offer as a reason for it.

Personally I just want to get the ball rolling on mine. I'm confident about my chances of getting in and don't care about losing $18.00USD if I'm wrong. Just want to make sure that if I'm accepted everything goes smoothly.

webstaa
March 17th, 2015, 13:05
You might want to find out ahead of time where you want/need to get your fingerprints done. In my medium sized city, they only do them once every other week, and only for a about 4 hours. Which pushed everything else back about 2 weeks. (And the lady doing them was really bitchy about having to fingerprint me at 2 PM on a Friday, even having made an appointment 2 weeks in advance...)

quis
March 17th, 2015, 13:34
I'm an Australian applicant so this may not apply to other countries, but the letter I received confirming that I passed the application stage and progressed to an interview also provided these deadlines for both National Police Check and Certificate of Health:
- 30 January for April placements; and
- 5 June for everyone else.

I gave my National Police Check to the Consulate staff on my interview date last month.

Cbill1
March 17th, 2015, 14:33
You might want to find out ahead of time where you want/need to get your fingerprints done. In my medium sized city, they only do them once every other week, and only for a about 4 hours. Which pushed everything else back about 2 weeks. (And the lady doing them was really bitchy about having to fingerprint me at 2 PM on a Friday, even having made an appointment 2 weeks in advance...)

Where did you get yours done?

I got mine done with the campus police they had stationed at our downtown campus, and the only reason I couldn't get them done on the first day was that the guy in charge had left early. Went in the next day, and was out within thirty minutes.

By the by, if anybody's looking to get there's done before the results, I recommend digital fingerprints. There's much less of a chance they'll be unreadable.

greyjoy
March 17th, 2015, 16:09
For the US, if you don't get your results by the deadline, you have to submit a state background check in addition to the regular one. This is only because the state one is simple and quick(comparably) and serves as a substitute until the real one comes in.
Although it says there will probably be a long wait, 14 weeks is likely a maximum estimate. I didn't apply for mine until I heard the results in late march. I forgot to put my credit card number on the form, so I got a call around mid May asking for a replacement. It was still processed on time. That said, the only reason you would want to wait is to avoid the charge. I think it was not insignificant. At the very least you ought get your fingerprints done, which cost me a whopping ten bucks. Digital prints might be difficult to obtain depending on where you are, but I second the recommendation for them. I lived in a town of 70000 and we had one location that did them. If you live in the inaka then it's time to take a trip to the medium sized city, at least.

johnny
March 17th, 2015, 20:50
Thanks Obama.

miamicoordinator
March 18th, 2015, 03:28
Hey all!

So as we round the corner in finding out whether or not our dreams have been crushed or not, some questions (at least for me) have popped up, the main of which is the FBI Background Check. From what I've heard/read, there is a delay (around 14 weeks??) for these checks. Does anyone know if this is true, if so, did the program expect us to get these checks done prior to finding out the interview results?

Also, what is the latest we need them in by (if we get in)?

- Gracias

Yeah, the fbi changed their system and it has caused a tremendous backlog of criminal background checks. It is going to be a nitemare to deal with because most people are going to need to get state background checks to go since the federal checks wont get in in time. I think it is a good idea to go ahead and apply for one early since it is only 18 dollars. They have been taking 4ish months to process.

There is nothing stopping anyone from being proactive and getting them done now.

Tokyo knows about the delay, but they will still demand the info.

hiddenlee22
March 18th, 2015, 05:13
Tokyo knows about the delay, but they will still demand the info.

If there is such a long delay, why not just take the state one instead? Aren't they pretty much the same?

miamicoordinator
March 18th, 2015, 05:32
If there is such a long delay, why not just take the state one instead? Aren't they pretty much the same?

Tokyo still prefers the fbi checks over the state onee since they are more comprehensive. So basically they are waiting till the deadline for background checks, hoping the majority will come in, and if they dont, then they will rally for everyone to get state checks, which are much simpler to apply for. Fbi checks require prints, state checks just require a social security number(at least in fl they do).

It is much easier to get a state check(and much less time consuming) so, tokyo doesnt want to set the precedent that state checks are a good substitute for the fbi checks unless its absolutely necessary.

simplesam
March 18th, 2015, 05:51
Okay, so I actually posted about this issue back in January. You can read the whole thing here:

Traffic Violations and FBI Background Check Before Interview Panic (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/threads/20133-Traffic-Violations-and-FBI-Background-Check-Before-Interview-Panic)

Tl;dr is that I was supposed to have an FBI check done BEFORE the interview because I answered yes to criminal history (I was mistaken and thought traffic violations counted), but hadn't received one yet.

Fast forward to interview day. I told my coordinator and, although she said it was a possible disqualification still, they understood the situation and realized the wait times had been pretty bad. In my actual interview, they ask about it and were pretty nonchalant when I told them I didn't have it yet. I was told to send another one and keep hopeful.

Flash forward (again) to today, and I was told by the FBI that they're still working on requests from LAST YEAR (2014), well past the 14 weeks expected delay. I've emailed JET about what I've learned and no word yet. But to be honest, I'll be highly frustrated if this is what keeps me from making it into the program.

Tl;dr (for this thread) send out your requests NOW if you think you might be acaccepted because the processing is a total drag. At least that way the FBI check will be here when you do need it.

hiddenlee22
March 18th, 2015, 06:25
Tl;dr (for this thread) send out your requests NOW if you think you might be acaccepted because the processing is a total drag. At least that way the FBI check will be here when you do need it.

Well I guess I won't be doing that, seeing as how bad I did. I'll wait until the results with the rest of the unconfident suckers :cool: i.e. Zolrak and ambrosse

I'm hoping they decide to run with the 'everything earlier mindset' and tell us soon.

ambrosse
March 18th, 2015, 06:44
Well I guess I won't be doing that, seeing as how bad I did. I'll wait until the results with the rest of the unconfident suckers :cool: i.e. Zolrak.

I'm hoping they decide to run with the 'everything earlier mindset' and tell us soon.

Add me to your list of unconfident suckers :P

(provided I get in), If I applied for an FBI check at the normal time and I sent in the proof that I applied, JET won't just toss out a perfectly good candidate because the US government decided to try something new and it backfired.

Edit: I'm honestly more worried about getting my Certificate of Health form filled out correctly by some random doctor because I have no doctor. "How long have you known the patient? 30 minutes" LOL

hiddenlee22
March 18th, 2015, 07:01
I'm honestly more worried about getting my Certificate of Health form filled out correctly by some random doctor because I have no doctor. "How long have you known the patient? 30 minutes" LOL

Same boat. This is where I hope my school actually comes in handy for the zillions I pay them each year (or government :cool:).

Gunjumero
March 18th, 2015, 07:16
Edit: I'm honestly more worried about getting my Certificate of Health form filled out correctly by some random doctor because I have no doctor. "How long have you known the patient? 30 minutes" LOL

That was my main worry and that's how I reacted too. Called in to those clinics where you can just call in the morning and hopefully get a doctor to see you later the very same day.

Virgil
March 18th, 2015, 07:42
That was my main worry and that's how I reacted too. Called in to those clinics where you can just call in the morning and hopefully get a doctor to see you later the very same day.
I did mine at a walk-in clinic. The doctor had never seen me before and we were done in 10 minutes with paperwork done (had to come back in 3 days for the TB test mark)

word
March 18th, 2015, 08:35
I did mine at a walk-in clinic. The doctor had never seen me before and we were done in 10 minutes with paperwork done (had to come back in 3 days for the TB test mark)Same here.

SailorZorro
March 18th, 2015, 09:33
My only question about the background check is that the JET website says to wait for further instructions because those leaving in the summer will have different directions from those leaving on ED. Whom are you all going to have your bc sent to, yourselves or your consulates? I'd imagine they don't want a bunch from ppl not going flooding their offices. I could go apply for mine tomorrow with this info. Maybe I should contact my coordinator. Has anyone else done this?

Well I guess I actually had more than one question.

weepinbell
March 18th, 2015, 22:25
Add me to your list of unconfident suckers :P

(provided I get in), If I applied for an FBI check at the normal time and I sent in the proof that I applied, JET won't just toss out a perfectly good candidate because the US government decided to try something new and it backfired.

Yeah, I'm with all you guys on this one... I get wanting to be ahead of the game, but I don't wanna jump the gun. If they're as backed up as everyone's saying, it'll just be one more check added to the pile with literally no purpose for it if I don't get into JET lol. I think I heard some countries found out the end of March last year, am I wrong? Either way, it's coming up soon enough.

Haha I think you'll be ok with the certificate of health ambrosse, isn't it basically just a physical? I haven't seen my primary care doc in LITERALLY 3 years, because she books up so far out. I'd probably end up using a different doctor in the practice for mine because of that. Not like family practice docs remember any of their patients anyway, let's be real lol.

And speaking of the certificate of health, I've heard Japan requires people in the workforce to do chest x-rays? Can anyone confirm this? Also I'm kinda curious about the reason behind it...

ambrosse
March 18th, 2015, 23:22
I haven't seen my primary care doc in LITERALLY 3 years, because she books up so far out. I'd probably end up using a different doctor in the practice for mine because of that. Not like family practice docs remember any of their patients anyway, let's be real lol.

And speaking of the certificate of health, I've heard Japan requires people in the workforce to do chest x-rays? Can anyone confirm this? Also I'm kinda curious about the reason behind it...

I haven't had a primary care doctor since the age of 15 -shrugs-
It's basically a work/school physical with some extra annoying crap.

I think in the US you can opt out of the chest x-ray, but take a TB mark test instead.

Gizmotech
March 19th, 2015, 10:37
I haven't had a primary care doctor since the age of 15 -shrugs-
It's basically a work/school physical with some extra annoying crap.

I think in the US you can opt out of the chest x-ray, but take a TB mark test instead.

If you're opting out due to money, meh whatever.

If you're opting out because you have some type of objection to XRays, then just go get the x-ray, they're mandatory over here in the health check anyways.

Cbill1
March 19th, 2015, 10:49

For what it's worth, I got mine filled out by my knee doctor with no problems. They really aren't strict, as long as your doctor is a licensed doctor.

gibbity
March 19th, 2015, 11:17
Just to add to this to give a window time frame perspective. I had sent out my request the first week of October. This was already having a heads up for delays, and i noted i would want Early Departure. I figured that would leave an extra month (an assumption on interview and process time) to receive the background check in time for the interview. I received the background check the weekend after my interview, or February 9th. So it essentially was a 2 month delay from the original 3 month projection. If its something you are going to worry about, just send the request now so you have it off your chest. It is cheap, and a fun way to make sure there is nothing dirty about you.

But like MC was saying... if Tokyo knows about this and is taking it into account, it wont bite you in the ass.

double edit: just cuz im dumb.

snowfaire
April 23rd, 2015, 01:56
Today, I called the FBI background check people to check the status of my identity history report summary. The woman I spoke to told me that it WOULD take 12-14 weeks to process the request. I got fingerprinted the day after I found out about my JET acceptance and sent the application to the FBI by April 4. The results are due to the JET consulate in New York by June 10. I could not have submitted the request any earlier, yet according to the FBI woman, there's no way the FBI will have it done by June 10. Man, this is confusing.

frayedflower
April 23rd, 2015, 09:44
Today, I called the FBI background check people to check the status of my identity history report summary. The woman I spoke to told me that it WOULD take 12-14 weeks to process the request. I got fingerprinted the day after I found out about my JET acceptance and sent the application to the FBI by April 4. The results are due to the JET consulate in New York by June 10. I could not have submitted the request any earlier, yet according to the FBI woman, there's no way the FBI will have it done by June 10. Man, this is confusing.

I wouldn't stress unless the NYC Consulate says to, especially since it's a universal issue; they won't kick everyone out of the program for a delay that's beyond our power. Someone from the FB group actually called them (the NYC Consulate specifically), and here was the response they received (dated April 7th):

"To NYC JETS:
I know several consulates are sort of "unofficially" recommending you to get a state background check due to FBI delays. I just spoke with the NYC consulate and she said we are absolutely *not* required to do so yet, and that if for some reason our background checks are late we will not be penalized. She said that if we at some point do need to get state background checks, they will let us know individually.
Just thought I would help ease some minds, because I was concerned!"

snowfaire
April 24th, 2015, 03:43
Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be a problem for those exact reasons. Still, I didn't know that information from the NYC consulate, so I'm glad I made an account and posted here!

Valkerion
April 24th, 2015, 07:42
From what the coordinators said on here a few months ago, they at least knew straight up that there is no way the official FBI checks would be done in time. Supposedly it will default to a state check which is faster, and I guess the FBI one will be filed whenever it comes in. One of my fb buddies has not even sent his form out yet lol. Filled it out for the reply packet but did not send the original to the FBI yet, keeps saying theres not point in rushing it lol @.@

Penguinonfire
April 24th, 2015, 11:00
Nice thing about applying for early placement is that all of your paperwork still counts and you don't have to do it again. I didn't get early placement, but I now have everything in except for my visa application. My FBI background check didn't come in time to even be considered but I was still able to send in the results when they arrived.

JET ProgramCoordinator SF
April 25th, 2015, 02:04
I think June 10 used to be the deadline in the past. We just kept it like that this year to indicate that we need the background checks are important and we need them for you to participate on the program. We're well aware though that the checks likely won't be coming in by then. Please don't bug your JET PC about it - as long as you've applied for your BC you're good. We'll reach out to you if there's anything else you need to do.

Verbatim
June 25th, 2015, 10:18
Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd post here since it's on the same topic:

There was a problem with my fingerprints and I was just now informed of this with a letter from the FBI. I sent my background check back in April. :-(

So now I've sent new prints and they've reached the FBI, but the man on the phone told me that my application will now be sent to the "bottom of the pile" (in other words, it will take ANOTHER 10-14 weeks). I've now applied for a state background check as instructed and will get the results within the next week. Should I be worried about the delay or am I in the clear? Also, has this ever happened to anyone else? Tbh I'm a little sick over this :-(

gibbity
June 25th, 2015, 10:28
Naw. It's all good. Just make ur coordinator peeps aware and you are fine.

Verbatim
June 25th, 2015, 10:39
Thanks gibbity. Btw, does anyone know if you're supposed to send in a whole new application with your fingerprints? My letter plainly said just send new fingerprint cards and new money order. Then when I talked to the person on the phone I asked if the new prints I sent in would be paired with my application from April and he said yes. I figured that info was pretty solid, but there's this looming worry in the back of my mind...

EDIT: I called the FBI for clarification so thought I would post here for posterity.

If your fingerprints were illegible, you must re-send your application along with new prints and most likely a new money order.

If your fingerprints were counted as missing (which was my case because UPS told me wrong and sent them digitally-only on the day I sent my application. The FBI will need an actual card sent in.) then you only need to send in a fingerprint card and most likely a new money order.

ShareBear
July 1st, 2015, 02:57
Hey Verbatim, my prints were also rejected. I was looking into getting my prints digitally done but my coordinator is worried that the results will come back as a state background check not a federal background check. Apparently she has had issues with this before. My consulate is in Detroit so I don't know if it is an issue that people have who are from Michigan, but I am from Ohio and my police department clearly has checks for BCI (state background) and FBI. Either way, I am kind of wary of doing them digitally because of what she has told me but I want to make sure my prints will be visible the next time around. Does anyone know if the FBI accepts digital finger prints that were then printed out on a finger print card? If I can do that, I may do that to ensure that my prints are legible.

Also does anyone know what happens if the second prints I get are illegible and I am already in Japan at this point? I have already done the state background check.

webstaa
July 1st, 2015, 09:05
Hey Verbatim, my prints were also rejected. I was looking into getting my prints digitally done but my coordinator is worried that the results will come back as a state background check not a federal background check. Apparently she has had issues with this before. My consulate is in Detroit so I don't know if it is an issue that people have who are from Michigan, but I am from Ohio and my police department clearly has checks for BCI (state background) and FBI. Either way, I am kind of wary of doing them digitally because of what she has told me but I want to make sure my prints will be visible the next time around. Does anyone know if the FBI accepts digital finger prints that were then printed out on a finger print card? If I can do that, I may do that to ensure that my prints are legible.

Also does anyone know what happens if the second prints I get are illegible and I am already in Japan at this point? I have already done the state background check.

Mine were done digitally. According to the clerk who does them, the only place you could be printed with ink is if you were sent to prison. The machine also does a quality check on the print scans as soon as they're done, so there should be less of a chance of the prints being rejected...

weepinbell
July 1st, 2015, 09:17
Mine were done digitally. According to the clerk who does them, the only place you could be printed with ink is if you were sent to prison. The machine also does a quality check on the print scans as soon as they're done, so there should be less of a chance of the prints being rejected...

I went to my local PD and they did ink prints for 5$ lol. I was worried they'd be rejected because I heard digital was more reliable, but mine went through fine and were just received by the consulate.

Also, someone on the FB page currently on JET said they had their prints rejected 2 or 3 times while OVER in Japan before they finally took... so they definitely won't say you can't go or anything if everything's not in by the end of the month!