PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Kochi!

JestersJ
March 19th, 2015, 21:07
Hello!

Some of you might recognize me from early departure posts, I was asked to keep updated when I got placement info.

I got placed in Kochi (AJET Block 8)

Tentative leave date is still April 21st; only just got contacted by my BoE today so hopefully I can hear from my predecessor soon!

Some local things I found out with research: their lightly seared tuna is famous and I'm excited to try it, Anpan-man creator was Kochi-born, Yosakoi was spread from Kochi, and awesome sake breweries. Looking forward to exploring.

Cheers!

Cbill1
March 19th, 2015, 22:08
I'm also in Kochi, welcome!

Kochi is really cool; I'm out in the boonies, and I think you'll be somewhere near the city, but feel free to PM me with any questions you like! I highly recommend joining the facebook group as there's a lot of social stuff that happens on there.

If you manage to get in by the 26th, a bunch of the ALTs are putting on a play in the local dialect in Kochi City, it's definitely worth checking out!

johnny
March 20th, 2015, 00:04
Congratulations!

Zolrak 22
March 20th, 2015, 01:13
Awesome, you even got a tentative friend waiting for you there. [emoji14]

JestersJ
March 20th, 2015, 04:42
Awesome! Thank you. And yeah in my email it said Kochi City was my placement.
I put a request for the group last night, right now I'm just seeing if getting a car is worth it. I have a few friends in Osaka and my old host family in Kobe and taking a train is like 11 hours but driving is almost 4. so I'm trying to balance out how often I'd think I want to go there and if I'd need it in the city.

gibbity
March 20th, 2015, 05:10
that sounds awesome Jester. good luck with getting all the details sorted! hopefully we will all see ya over there in a few months.

x_stei
March 20th, 2015, 05:23
Congratulations! :)

x_stei
March 20th, 2015, 05:26
Oops. Double post! Please delete. Thank you!

JestersJ
March 20th, 2015, 05:44
that sounds awesome Jester. good luck with getting all the details sorted! hopefully we will all see ya over there in a few months.

I have a month and two days before I'm there actually xD
I've got to vacate an apartment, sell my car, and dwindle down my life into two suitcases. On paper I feel like I have enough time but I feel a bit worried about time.

gibbity
March 20th, 2015, 06:05
I've got to vacate an apartment, sell my car, and dwindle down my life into two suitcases. On paper I feel like I have enough time but I feel a bit worried about time.

lol, im sure. you will be there well before the normies, is what i was referencing more or less. If you cant get your car off your hands.... ill take a hand me out.... ;p

JestersJ
March 20th, 2015, 06:52
lol, im sure. you will be there well before the normies, is what i was referencing more or less. If you cant get your car off your hands.... ill take a hand me out.... ;p

Haha no thank you! I got a fairly good offer on mine right now (I know a lot of car people) and they're willing to buy whenever since they know I'm not leaving for another month.

ALTInsiderFY
March 20th, 2015, 07:20
Enjoy it Jesters. You only get one first month in Japan. Live it up

JestersJ
March 20th, 2015, 07:22
Enjoy it Jesters. You only get one first month in Japan. Live it up

Used to live in Japan when I was a kid actually, for 9 years. Studied abroad less than two years ago. XD It's just my first month in Japan in my own apartment
I think the novelty is pretty worn down on me, probably going to spend my first month sorting out practical things instead

Virgil
March 20th, 2015, 08:01
I sold 2 Cars, 3 motorcycles and left my career behind in less than a month. I think you'll manage.

uthinkimlost?
March 20th, 2015, 08:05
I sold 2 Cars, 3 motorcycles and left my career behind in less than a month. I think you'll manage.

He also did it with only his left hand, and had to push them all, uphill, to the dealership in 5 feet of snow.

Virgil
March 20th, 2015, 08:06
He also did it with only his left hand, and had to push them all, uphill, to the dealership in 5 feet of snow.
It doesn't snow in Texas. Everything else is an accurate depiction of "The Exodus." I'm writing a book.

Ini
March 20th, 2015, 08:27
Cocaine is a hell of a drug

ALTInsiderFY
March 20th, 2015, 08:40
Used to live in Japan when I was a kid actually, for 9 years. Studied abroad less than two years ago. XD It's just my first month in Japan in my own apartment
I think the novelty is pretty worn down on me, probably going to spend my first month sorting out practical things instead

You know your.......... 109th month is always the best I've heard. (yes I needed a calculator)

Cbill1
March 20th, 2015, 08:50
Awesome! Thank you. And yeah in my email it said Kochi City was my placement.
I put a request for the group last night, right now I'm just seeing if getting a car is worth it. I have a few friends in Osaka and my old host family in Kobe and taking a train is like 11 hours but driving is almost 4. so I'm trying to balance out how often I'd think I want to go there and if I'd need it in the city.

Osaka should only be about 4 hours by train away from Kochi city, iirc. You can hop onto the limited express to Okayama, and then switch the shinkansen. Get ready to hate the anpanman theme.

As for a car, you shouldn't need it if you're in the city proper, but it doesn't hurt. Kochi has a lot of cool unique festivals/events/outdoors-y stuff, and a lot of the regions outside the city are only accessible by car (or trains with really limited running times). There was a really awesome yuzu festival awhile back in Umaji, but it was 3 hours by train + bus, but only an hour and a half by car. That being said, there are many opportunities to carpool. You can get by without a car, but it's really useful to have.

JestersJ
March 20th, 2015, 09:04
Cocaine is a hell of a drug
I strangely thought of this as well.

JestersJ
March 20th, 2015, 09:09
You know your.......... 109th month is always the best I've heard. (yes I needed a calculator)

Bahaha. I'm not even sure what month I'd be on.
I pretty much am just going to enjoy the food and being away from family and friends /becauseI'moneofthosepeople

Liamers
March 20th, 2015, 10:08
congrats Jester

JestersJ
March 23rd, 2015, 17:55
congrats Jester

Haha I know you, thanks though

JestersJ
March 23rd, 2015, 17:55
Update: I'll actually be in a school with another ALT
Hes the junior ALT and I'm the senior ALT

shue
March 23rd, 2015, 22:44
Congrats Jesters. I know someone in Kochi, seems like she's having a great time. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zolrak 22
March 24th, 2015, 00:37
Poor ALT, you haven't even started yet and you are already pulling rank. [emoji14]

Gizmotech
March 24th, 2015, 01:10

If you have any interest in ESL and or ESL curriculum design that's a perfect place to be in, especially if you're going to be there for 3 or 4 years.

x_stei
March 24th, 2015, 01:15
If you have any interest in ESL and or ESL curriculum design that's a perfect place to be in, especially if you're going to be there for 3 or 4 years.

^ why is that?

JestersJ
March 24th, 2015, 02:59

I was intending on a minimum of 3 years, so it'll be a good opportunity to see a legitimate ESL curriculum.
The ALT's contacting me said him and a few others who arrived in Kochi actually only wanted to do a year and they're all 4th year ALTs now lol so I'm interested in seeing what is keeping them there.

JestersJ
March 24th, 2015, 03:07
Poor ALT, you haven't even started yet and you are already pulling rank. [emoji14]

Haha, he doesn't seem to mind. Hes a 4th year who has been doing this for awhile

Liamers
March 27th, 2015, 06:25
If he's a 4th year, why is he the junior alt

Zolrak 22
March 27th, 2015, 06:46
If he's a 4th year, why is he the junior alt
Exactly what I was thinking. [emoji6]

JestersJ
March 27th, 2015, 07:10
Because on his first year he was hired as the junior alt lol
And when they hire the new ones they put them in the "open" position

Virgil
March 27th, 2015, 07:15
Because on his first year he was hired as the junior alt lol
And when they hire the new ones they put them in the "open" position
... It makes perfect sense that they would do this.

Zolrak 22
March 27th, 2015, 14:42
... It makes perfect sense that they would do this.
Eh, as long as the pay scale is the same I wouldn't complain for having the lighter workload?