PDA

View Full Version : Quitting JET (the horror)

interioround
March 25th, 2015, 15:53
Hello everybody,

So, I`m quitting JET because I`ve found a job where I can travel the world, speak Japanese and use my marketing major. Unfortunately, I was stuck in a rock and a hard place when the company told me after two interviews that they wanted me on board for training...in China and in two weeks.

I told my BOE and it was not pretty (which I understand). They took it incredibly personal that I was leaving.

The plan for China fell through, but the company now wants me back in America for training at the end of April. With my relationship with my BOE in shambles and almost a month before I can go back, what exactly can I do to help mend the situation?

This was not how I wanted to go out, but the situation is what it is now...

Any advice?

Ananasboat
March 25th, 2015, 16:00
Wooow. At this point I'd save face and book it. No point in staying around the JET office after royally messing up so hard.

Also does your new company know you've broken a contract to try to work for them?

Jiggit
March 25th, 2015, 16:05
You've screwed your school over and no two ways about it. Not only are they not gonna have an ALT until September, they've got to go through a whole buncha bullshit to get an Alternate ALT. I doubt it's them "taking it personally", they're probably just extremely irritated at the trouble you've caused them. Is this job a sure thing? It's sounding kind of dodgy with these inte. If you're definitely not going to be there you might as well just take your lumps and leave it. You could try and help prepare lessons for teachers to do for the entire next term or something, but I doubt you're really going to have time for that. You've made your bed, really.

interioround
March 25th, 2015, 16:14
I can`t just leave. They need to fill out paperwork.

Ini
March 25th, 2015, 22:56
leave at the end of march. Dont start the new school year. be apologetic. pay for your own ticket. dont ask anyone at the boe for help with anything with your departure. Accept the fact everyone thinks you are a dick and move on. dont do anything to aggravate the situation. People leave all the time and ending at the end of the school year is a lot better than walking out in the middle of term.

interioround
March 25th, 2015, 23:08
Thanks for the advice.

Ini
March 25th, 2015, 23:14
the boe will survive without suffering anything more than a bit more work for 1-3 people for a few weeks. Passing up a good job might fuck you over for a few months/years. I dont suggest people act irresponsibly but at some point you need to accept your are working a temp job and not entering slavery. On the plus side they might hire some filipino ex-snack bar worker on a part time contract to replace you and I'll have the "pleasure" of dealing with their bullshit.....

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 08:51
leave at the end of march. Dont start the new school year. be apologetic. pay for your own ticket. dont ask anyone at the boe for help with anything with your departure. Accept the fact everyone thinks you are a dick and move on. dont do anything to aggravate the situation. People leave all the time and ending at the end of the school year is a lot better than walking out in the middle of term.

I will leave on April 17th, so unfortunately I still have about a week at school. I figure that gives me some time to say goodbye to my schools, though.

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 08:52
Lastly, though, I am trying to apply for pension stuff and have been getting ready to go home. However, my BOE managers are giving me the silent treatment right now. It`s a bit annoying that we can`t at least be civil since we have to work together for a few more weeks...

webstaa
March 26th, 2015, 08:57

And don't ask anyone from the BoE to do your Pension Refund rep work.

Also, after you leave, make sure you write a letter of apology and thanks for their understanding. That might mend a tiny bit of the relationship (they might not think of you as such an asshole after the fact.) Be very contrite and take responsibility for making them scramble for a new ALT on short notice. Also, a letter of apology to your JTEs/schools might be in order as well. Especially if they won't communicate with you now.

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 09:15
Can you guys tell me what I may need to do using nenkyuu?

For example, do I have to take nenkyuu to go to the tax office to fill out pension stuff?
I think my visa is good to go to return to the states, too, so what exactly would I need to use nenkyuu for in the next coming weeks?
Gracias.

Ini
March 26th, 2015, 09:17
I will leave on April 17th, so unfortunately I still have about a week at school. I figure that gives me some time to say goodbye to my schools, though.

????? why would you do this? So you are going to go into the office on april 1st and meet the new teachers, a week later you will be introduced to the new 1st grade students and parents, then you will do a week of lessons before mysteriously leaving??? Leave now and dont show your face at school in april as it will be weird and confusing.

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 09:23
????? why would you do this? So you are going to go into the office on april 1st and meet the new teachers, a week later you will be introduced to the new 1st grade students and parents, then you will do a week of lessons before mysteriously leaving??? Leave now and dont show your face at school in april as it will be weird and confusing.

I did want to leave earlier, but because of paperwork, things to get done before moving and so on, my BOE actually wants me to stick around for as long as I can before I leave for training in America.

I seriously would rather be out of dodge asap, but unfortunately it`s not possible...

Ini
March 26th, 2015, 09:24
what paperwork?

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 09:29
what paperwork?

Well, since they`re not really talking to me, I`m not quite sure. I think they`re filing reports about me leaving. They also asked my address in the USA for some form.

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 09:33
At this point in time, I think if I said, `Hey, forget everything that we`ve done up till now. I`m actually leaving even sooner.` they would kill me.
There was training for my company at the end of this month in China that I was trying to get to. However, after telling my BOE, they freaked out and said absolutely not.

I would be out of dodge right now if I could.

coop52
March 26th, 2015, 10:07
Pension stuff you can do yourself except for the second part/income tax refund. Just get someone else who's going to be there at least a year to be your tax rep. They don't have to be Japanese.

If you had actually told them at the beginning of March, you probably would have been able to quit before the start of the new school year with no problems. Leaving a week into the new year is ridiculous. The only paperwork I can see that they need to do is tax or health insurance stuff, but they don't need you there as long as they have your hanko. Just cancel your phone and internet, pay whatever bills you have left, leave your hanko and health insurance card on your handler's desk and peace out.

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 10:15
So, can I ask what things would I need to use Nenkyuu for?
I was thinking of using my days off in the spring to get ready to go home, and let the office have leave of my presence.

coop52
March 26th, 2015, 10:20
There's forms to fill out at city hall, on top of closing bank accounts and canceling phone/internet/apartment/power/gas/whatever else. If you have a car, then you need to figure out what to do with it, which involves going to city hall and getting forms and filling out more paperwork. You also probably have a bunch of stuff to throw away, which involves having the garbage people come to your place or a recycle shop if your stuff is in good condition. Sit down and make a list. Don't be that person who just flies off and leaves crap behind for other folks to deal with.

Ananasboat
March 26th, 2015, 10:46
There's forms to fill out at city hall, on top of closing bank accounts and canceling phone/internet/apartment/power/gas/whatever else. If you have a car, then you need to figure out what to do with it, which involves going to city hall and getting forms and filling out more paperwork. You also probably have a bunch of stuff to throw away, which involves having the garbage people come to your place or a recycle shop if your stuff is in good condition. Sit down and make a list. Don't be that person who just flies off and leaves crap behind for other folks to deal with.

Sometime last year one of the ALTs in my area suddenly disappeared. Didn't tell a soul she was leaving. The house was a mess, the walls looked like they had been clawed at by cats (I think she actually owned them, someone said) and there was a huge mold problem. The ALT who filled in the year later was left with lots of trash and was told he had to pay for its removal. Bull.

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 10:53
Sometime last year one of the ALTs in my area suddenly disappeared. Didn't tell a soul she was leaving. The house was a mess, the walls looked like they had been clawed at by cats (I think she actually owned them, someone said) and there was a huge mold problem. The ALT who filled in the year later was left with lots of trash and was told he had to pay for its removal. Bull.

Welp, I`m not planning on doing that. My BOE doesn`t know how good they have it with me...haha...

uthinkimlost?
March 26th, 2015, 10:58
I`m . . . doesn`t

Wai?

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 11:06
Wai?

Hmmm...Hmmmmmm?

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 11:31
Wooow. At this point I'd save face and book it. No point in staying around the JET office after royally messing up so hard.

Also does your new company know you've broken a contract to try to work for them?

I realized I never answered this question. Yes, I told them about the JET program, and how I`m on a contract. They understood, but they also had a special training program for speakers of Asian languages in China, and had really hoped that I could make it for that in March.

Since that was not possible, they put me in for the next training session in April in America.

Gizmotech
March 26th, 2015, 12:43
You know, I don't usually advocate this but you've kinda fucked yourself anyways. I would leave next week. Screw finding a tax representative and take the 20% tax hit as a loss. Call and cancel everything and tell them quite clearly you are leaving tomorrow and things must be done now or never. Staying these extra weeks is not gonna help you in any way, and honestly there's no way to fix this with your coworkers as everything you are to them now is just one giant problem.

And this is coming from someone who's gotten a bit of a cold shoulder from coworkers for bringing up ending my contract next year april rather than august.

uthinkimlost?
March 26th, 2015, 13:17
And this is coming from someone who's gotten a bit of a cold shoulder from coworkers for bringing up ending my contract next year april rather than august.

Really? I've only talked to a couple about that and they said they understood, with how the hiring cycle goes here.

-or maybe they just hate me.

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 13:31
You know, I don't usually advocate this but you've kinda fucked yourself anyways. I would leave next week. Screw finding a tax representative and take the 20% tax hit as a loss. Call and cancel everything and tell them quite clearly you are leaving tomorrow and things must be done now or never. Staying these extra weeks is not gonna help you in any way, and honestly there's no way to fix this with your coworkers as everything you are to them now is just one giant problem.

This...is incredibly tempting. But based on my BOEs response to me leaving sooner rather than later was even more disastrous...I don`t know. Plus, I am trying to get things done here in the meantime.

I don`t really know if this suggestion would help my particular situation. You know what they say, ESID...

Ananasboat
March 26th, 2015, 13:55
Dayum girl I hope you like pickles, because you're in a big one.

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 13:59

Thank you for your incredibly insightful comment.

Ananasboat
March 26th, 2015, 14:07
I'm sure you knew it already, but it's just kind of nuts all the different advice you're getting here. There is no right answer because what you did was really not helpful to the BOE. I understand that you realize this as well. There's no way to end this cleanly, and you're going to end up not finishing something you should have. Again, people have said "it's just JET," but honestly it is a contracted position. You probably really should have thought your obligations over a little more. But, woulda coulda shouldas aren't helpful right now, and you're sitting pretty rough at the moment. I hope things work out, but honestly you really got yourself in it in the first place.

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 14:18
I'm sure you knew it already, but it's just kind of nuts all the different advice you're getting here. There is no right answer because what you did was really not helpful to the BOE. I understand that you realize this as well. There's no way to end this cleanly, and you're going to end up not finishing something you should have. Again, people have said "it's just JET," but honestly it is a contracted position. You probably really should have thought your obligations over a little more. But, woulda coulda shouldas aren't helpful right now, and you're sitting pretty rough at the moment. I hope things work out, but honestly you really got yourself in it in the first place.

I understand where you`re coming from, but at the same time, since this is not a permanent career, when a job like this comes up what other choice did I have but to strike when the iron was hot?

I tried to ask them if I could start a different time, but that wasn`t an option either. After not recontracting here due to many difficulties I`ve had (long story), other JETs, my friends, my family, everyone said start looking for a job now `cuz it`s a shitty market and it`s going to take a while to find a job.

I started looking for a job as soon as I knew I didn`t have one anymore. However, this job which is a really amazing opportunity that`s 100% travel with a marketing company is insanely amazing. Better pay, better experience, a job with a career path... What would you have done?

Sorry, thanks but no thanks. I have to do 3 more months of this contract, half of which is just sitting in an office wondering what to do with myself.

It was a hard, shitty decision. I know this, but as others have said in the past this is not servitude as much as the BOE seems to want it to be. How frustrating it is to be the bad guy for just doing what I`ve been told to do for my adult career. When you`re jobless get a job.

This turned into a rant. I`m just getting thoughts out of my head...Sorry.

Jiggit
March 26th, 2015, 14:23
How frustrating it is to be the bad guy for just doing what I`ve been told to do for my adult career. When you`re jobless get a job.

If this job is everything you're saying it is, I agree that you made the nice choice for yourself. But you are still screwing over your BoE. You chose to put yourself first, fine, but you can't turn around and expect them to be happy with it.

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 14:28
If this job is everything you're saying it is, I agree that you made the nice choice for yourself. But you are still screwing over your BoE. You chose to put yourself first, fine, but you can't turn around and expect them to be happy with it.

I understand.
I just wish that they could see that the situation is what it is and maybe that we could at least be civil to each other for the remainder of the time.
The tension`s pretty thick, and they`re not even looking at me. How silly. Isn`t it hard enough?

uthinkimlost?
March 26th, 2015, 14:37
Look at your post history and the reaction of people to it. There's a pattern.

Ananasboat
March 26th, 2015, 14:53
Look at your post history and the reaction of people to it. There's a pattern.

Wow, I didn't even realize this was the same person. I see.

Virgil
March 26th, 2015, 14:58

I lol'd. Quietly.

Gizmotech
March 26th, 2015, 15:00
I don't agree that they are screwing the BoE to be honest. The contract has a defined exit point in it. 30 days notice. The BoE is inconvenienced, and if this were a company rather than a government bureaucracy they would just hire someone else and go.

Jiggit
March 26th, 2015, 15:08
I don't agree that they are screwing the BoE to be honest. The contract has a defined exit point in it. 30 days notice. The BoE is inconvenienced, and if this were a company rather than a government bureaucracy they would just hire someone else and go.

Well, they are screwing the BoE. Saying the situation ought to be different doesn't change the reality. I doubt the people who are going to have to pick up her mess while managing the start of the school year over the next two weeks care about whether the true fault lies with her or the bureaucracy.

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 15:25
Well, they are screwing the BoE. Saying the situation ought to be different doesn't change the reality. I doubt the people who are going to have to pick up her mess while managing the start of the school year over the next two weeks care about whether the true fault lies with her or the bureaucracy.

If that`s how you feel, why should there even be a way to exit your contract at all?
Shit happens.

Next company wanted me right away. I asked for a later date, and there was none. It`s now or never.

Virgil
March 26th, 2015, 15:28
I agree with you. You first. You should think about others, but your needs are number one. You can read Atlas Shrugged on your flight home too.

EDIT: I'm actually pretty serious, the last part is just a dumb joke.

Jiggit
March 26th, 2015, 15:29
If that`s how you feel, why should there even be a way to exit your contract at all?
Shit happens.

Next company wanted me right away. I asked for a later date, and there was none. It`s now or never.

I don't understand how this is at all relevant to what I said.

The people you're screwing over didn't put the system in place and they can't change it. They aren't going to be happy regardless of where the true "fault" theoretically lies.

hypatia
March 26th, 2015, 15:34
This...is incredibly tempting. But based on my BOEs response to me leaving sooner rather than later was even more disastrous...I don`t know. Plus, I am trying to get things done here in the meantime.

Ok, after reading this thread what I'm confused about is why does it matter at all what your BOE thinks? You were already not being recontracted. Now you already have another position lined up, one that wants you to start ASAP. It's not like you have to worry about bad letters of recommendation or anything, as it's unlikely that any future employers (especially those based in the US) are going to call up Japan for references. Several posters have given some good advice, including leaving before the new school year begins, not depending on the BOE and buying your own ticket home, and being extraordinarily apologetic/writing apology letters to your schools.

So far, this is the only reason I've seen you give:

I can`t just leave. They need to fill out paperwork.

Do you need to be there for them to fill out the paperwork? I genuinely don't know the paperwork or the process that a BOE has to go through when an ALT leaves. If you are trying to stay out of courtesy for them, that seems to be hurting your prospects with your next job more than it is salvaging the relationship with your BOE (that you've mentioned was already pretty shitty.....) So, what is stopping you from just up and leaving and moving forward with your life/career?

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 15:37
Do people on JET usually wait until July to look for a job?
The way the job market was when I graduated college just a few years back was awful. I already do feel terrible about leaving. I know I`m leaving them in a bind, but I didn`t know what else to do. My job said we want you now. What will you do?

I made a tough choice and this is where I`m at.

Ananasboat
March 26th, 2015, 15:42
Do people on JET usually wait until July to look for a job?

Or they look for jobs that starts after their contract with the BOE ends. That is exactly what reasonable people do.

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 15:44
Or they look for jobs that starts after their contract with the BOE ends. That is exactly what reasonable people do.

I didn`t know when it started? That`s not usually in the job description. I got a second interview with the company, and after that, that`s when they told me, `hey, come to China in two and a half weeks`. I was pretty surprised, too.

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 15:45
Ok, after reading this thread what I'm confused about is why does it matter at all what your BOE thinks? You were already not being recontracted. Now you already have another position lined up, one that wants you to start ASAP. It's not like you have to worry about bad letters of recommendation or anything, as it's unlikely that any future employers (especially those based in the US) are going to call up Japan for references. Several posters have given some good advice, including leaving before the new school year begins, not depending on the BOE and buying your own ticket home, and being extraordinarily apologetic/writing apology letters to your schools.

So far, this is the only reason I've seen you give:

Do you need to be there for them to fill out the paperwork? I genuinely don't know the paperwork or the process that a BOE has to go through when an ALT leaves. If you are trying to stay out of courtesy for them, that seems to be hurting your prospects with your next job more than it is salvaging the relationship with your BOE (that you've mentioned was already pretty shitty.....) So, what is stopping you from just up and leaving and moving forward with your life/career?

You`re right. This is good advice.

I`m staying out of courtesy to them since they asked me to stay as late as I can.

Jiggit
March 26th, 2015, 15:47
What will you do?

?

I thought the point of this thread was to ask how you can patch up your relationship with your coworkers before you leave, not whether or not you should?

We're just telling you the truth. There's no point trying to justify yourself to random internet people, is there?

interioround
March 26th, 2015, 15:58
?

I thought the point of this thread was to ask how you can patch up your relationship with your coworkers before you leave, not whether or not you should?

We're just telling you the truth. There's no point trying to justify yourself to random internet people, is there?

Yes, that`s what the original point of the topic was.

patjs
March 26th, 2015, 23:43
Yes, that`s what the original point of the topic was.

Then the reply is that you probably are not going to be able to mend the relationships very well with the people you are inconveniencing. Are you friends with any non-English teachers or others at your schools? Chances are if they have half a brain they'll see things from your perspective as well. They get that it's a temporary job.

All in all these relationships are not going to matter much at all in about six months from now. You will have forgotten them and they will certainly have forgotten you.

Beer Baron - Site Discussion

Sherlock
March 27th, 2015, 03:02
the job market here in the US is terrbile. JET is a limited time contracted posistion with mediocre pay and no career future. You got a great job with an oppurtunity for advancement which you seem excited for. Just leave Japan ASAP. You're not going to get on you BOE's good side by sticking around for a few more weeks. Think of it this way. If you had turned down the job offer and finished out your contract in Japan and struggled to find a job back home in the US would the BOE do anything to help you get a career? Don't think so. You made an effort to fufill your obligations but your future career can't wait. You've already burned your bridges and theres no mending them. Move forward and don't beat yourself up over this. You tried and things just didn't work out. Enjoy your new job.

interioround
March 27th, 2015, 09:11
the job market here in the US is terrbile. JET is a limited time contracted posistion with mediocre pay and no career future. You got a great job with an oppurtunity for advancement which you seem excited for. Just leave Japan ASAP. You're not going to get on you BOE's good side by sticking around for a few more weeks. Think of it this way. If you had turned down the job offer and finished out your contract in Japan and struggled to find a job back home in the US would the BOE do anything to help you get a career? Don't think so. You made an effort to fufill your obligations but your future career can't wait. You've already burned your bridges and theres no mending them. Move forward and don't beat yourself up over this. You tried and things just didn't work out. Enjoy your new job.

(T^T)

starfish
March 27th, 2015, 11:17

I'm voicing my support for Sherlock on this one, except for the whole US job market thing. (It's time to stop saying the economy sucks-- unemployment is less than 6% and I personally have recruiters harassing me 24/7; WTF constitutes a "good" job market to you people?)

My first two contractual jobs, I interpreted to mean "slavery" and despite the jobs being abject failures I stuck around to the point where my continued involvement was more detrimental than anything. I should have cut my losses and saved face.

Shit does happen, but that doesn't mean you should expect the people you shat on to clean it up for you. The proper thing to do at this point would be to just bow out, quietly and without fanfare, as soon as possible instead of bumbling around trying to repair a relationship that you plan to shit on all over again in a few weeks.

interioround
March 27th, 2015, 11:19
I'm voicing my support for Sherlock on this one, except for the whole US job market thing. (It's time to stop saying the economy sucks-- unemployment is less than 6% and I personally have recruiters harassing me 24/7; WTF constitutes a "good" job market to you people?)

My first two contractual jobs, I interpreted to mean "slavery" and despite the jobs being abject failures I stuck around to the point where my continued involvement was more detrimental than anything. I should have cut my losses and saved face.

Shit does happen, but that doesn't mean you should expect the people you shat on to clean it up for you. The proper thing to do at this point would be to just bow out, quietly and without fanfare, as soon as possible instead of bumbling around trying to repair a relationship that you plan to shit on all over again in a few weeks.

I agree that it would be better to leave, but they have asked for my help for setting things up for the future ALTs in the meantime. They really seem like they`d rather have me stay...

Ananasboat
March 27th, 2015, 11:21
Of course they'd rather you stay. They'd be really happy to have all the help they can get and not have to deal with doing the parts of your job you leave behind on top of theirs. You seem surprised.

MikeCarter
March 27th, 2015, 11:31

Please don't tell my you believe the unemployment rate is actually a useful statistic. Your personal experiences don't represent everyone's either. What do you do for a living and how much experience do you have doing it?

interioround
March 27th, 2015, 11:44
Of course they'd rather you stay. They'd be really happy to have all the help they can get and not have to deal with doing the parts of your job you leave behind on top of theirs. You seem surprised.

No, I`m not. I`m happy to stay as long as I can. I know I did them wrong. I`m well aware. If there`s anything I can salvage here I will do my best to.

starfish
March 27th, 2015, 11:50
I agree that it would be better to leave, but they have asked for my help for setting things up for the future ALTs in the meantime. They really seem like they`d rather have me stay...

It's a bit late in the game to think about what's best for the BoE, don't you think?

It's not your problem.

interioround
March 27th, 2015, 11:55
It's a bit late in the game to think about what's best for the BoE, don't you think?

It's not your problem.

Hmm, that may be, but I still have paperwork and they still have paperwork to do. I also have volunteer activities to close up. So, there`s a few other reasons to stay.

Gizmotech
March 27th, 2015, 12:27
What paperwork are you talking about?

starfish
March 27th, 2015, 12:50
Please don't tell my you believe the unemployment rate is actually a useful statistic. Your personal experiences don't represent everyone's either. What do you do for a living and how much experience do you have doing it?

Discounting everything to do with my personal experience:

unemployment is down,
stocks are up for five years running,
federal interest rates are still stupid low,
consumer spending has increased,
government spending is down,
home ownership is up,
oil is plentiful,
health insurance is affordable,
property values are rising.

I don't see how you can dismiss UR as being useless. Even if it were, Americans clearly have the jobs and the money to pay for their new mortgages.

So I'm failing to see what metric or combination thereof supports a conclusion that the economy is "bad." Recent college graduates have high unemployment, but this has always been the case. There are always going to be a lot of people out there with useless degrees that the market hasn't sorted out yet-- they aren't "recent college grads" forever and will eventually find work befitting their degree. The rest of the country is doing fine.

Hmm, that may be, but I still have paperwork and they still have paperwork to do. I also have volunteer activities to close up. So, there`s a few other reasons to stay.

Best of luck to you.

interioround
March 27th, 2015, 13:16
What paperwork are you talking about?

For me, tax stuff, for them not quite sure.

johnny
March 30th, 2015, 16:16
I just want to say that I agree with the those who are telling you to get out of Dodge. It seems like you and your BOE do not/did not have a great relationship anyway, so don't worry about your mending fences too much since you weren't going to get a reference letter anyway. It sounds like you've found a decent job which you're actually excited about, so go and follow that dream. And don't worry about burning down a bridge with your BOE because there is little sense in shutting the stable doors when the horses have already bolted.

Secondly, you are screwing over your BOE, but only a little. Quite frankly, ATLs aren't exactly linchpins in the Japanese education system and I think they'll survive just fine without you for a term or they'll try to find an early departure jet to come and replace you.

Also, please don't take my effort to use as many cliches as I could as a lack of sincerity. I am just tired.

interioround
March 30th, 2015, 16:22
I just want to say that I agree with the those who are telling you to get out of Dodge. It seems like you and your BOE do not/did not have a great relationship anyway, so don't worry about your mending fences too much since you weren't going to get a reference letter anyway. It sounds like you've found a decent job which you're actually excited about, so go and follow that dream. And don't worry about burning down a bridge with your BOE because there is little sense in shutting the stable doors when the horses have already bolted.

Secondly, you are screwing over your BOE, but only a little. Quite frankly, ATLs aren't exactly linchpins in the Japanese education system and I think they'll survive just fine without you for a term or they'll try to find an early departure jet to come and replace you.

Also, please don't take my effort to use as many cliches as I could as a lack of sincerity. I am just tired.

We are actually on much better terms than when I first told them. I think it finally sunk in. So now, I`m wondering if in the next few weeks we are on better terms, if I can ask them about pension stuff...
If not, I have an American friend who said she would be my tax rep.
What do you think?

webstaa
March 31st, 2015, 08:31

Probably too late to get an early departure ALT now. They should be shipping out this week... So they'll go 3 months without an ALT.

GPS
May 27th, 2017, 10:13
I'm curious to see how this ended

mothy
May 27th, 2017, 13:36
Probably in suicide.

OatsCurrySummer
May 27th, 2017, 14:05
Probably in suicide.
So we can say with certainty that they're in a better place now

GPS
May 28th, 2017, 11:00
So we can say with certainty that they're in a better place now

yes

GPS
May 29th, 2017, 05:32
I hope op just straight up left, but he seems like a weeaboo so I doubt it

mrcharisma
May 29th, 2017, 07:28
Can't remember this thread from 1st time round. Mildly entertaining.

OP sounded like a neurotic tool and the "dream job" a scam, no doubt it got entertaining.