simplesam (Houston)
Ace (New York)
enelwai (Singapore)
BarnSwallow (Toronto)
AngeSim12 (Montreal)
AyaReiko (Ottawa)

haitch40
March 30th, 2015, 22:46
Celebrate, cry, or feel trapped in the limbo that is alternate status.

As for me:
Shortlisted! (Miami)
Congratulations. Glad you made it.

PuddingHead
March 30th, 2015, 22:50
Congratulations. Glad you made it.

Thanks, Haitch. =]

weepinbell
March 30th, 2015, 22:53
Ugh I'm like gonna cry for all you guys being accepted I swear. I'm too emotional lol!!! Congratulations!

abscondita
March 30th, 2015, 22:59
Celebrate, cry, or feel trapped in the limbo that is alternate status.

As for me:
Shortlisted! (Miami)

Congratulations!!!

Kyle
March 30th, 2015, 23:05
Shortlisted :)
Brisbane, Australia.

gibbity
March 30th, 2015, 23:08
Grats Kyle!

PuddingHead
March 30th, 2015, 23:15
Ugh I'm like gonna cry for all you guys being accepted I swear. I'm too emotional lol!!! Congratulations!

Not gonna lie, your anticipation has really made me hope you get this. You're so close! Deep breaths.

Congratulations!!!

Thank you!

Shortlisted :)
Brisbane, Australia.

That's wonderful! Congrats-

Liamers
March 31st, 2015, 00:04
Congrats pudding and kyle

You go an add everyone to a list on the first post?

said before but.... short listed (early departure) ireland

PuddingHead
March 31st, 2015, 00:08

Congratulations!

And sure, I'll start a list.

weepinbell
March 31st, 2015, 00:21
Not gonna lie, your anticipation has really made me hope you get this. You're so close! Deep breaths.

Haha aw thanks so much! I know... I am crazy antsy. So ready to know, so I'm definitely hoping Chicago breaks the news today! Until then, I'm just excited to hear everyone's good news rolling in. :)

abscondita
March 31st, 2015, 00:29

Congratulations!

Did you receive a letter or email?

abscondita
March 31st, 2015, 00:33
also for people who are shortlisted, can someone please take a photo of the medical form?

Shincantsen
March 31st, 2015, 00:41
also for people who are shortlisted, can someone please take a photo of the medical form?

I'm pretty sure they are asked not to share the documents they receive. Probably a bad idea.

Penguee
March 31st, 2015, 00:57
Seriously, congrats to everyone who was short listed! Others, keep your fingers and toes crossed! Hoping for good news all around!

Pudding, if we end up at training together, let's reminisce about Mountain! :)

miamicoordinator
March 31st, 2015, 01:02

The Certificate of Health is the same form that was on the JET Program USA page during the application time if you were applying for early departure. It might still be on there if you check it out. Make sure you get the Certificate of Health and not the Physician's form.

Liamers
March 31st, 2015, 01:45
I got a letter and it said what city I was going to be in so I was lucky to not have to wait for placement news on top of that.

The Irish medical form is different from the American one so it wouldn't be of any use to you anyway

alternate
March 31st, 2015, 01:46
Congratulations PuddingHead, Kyle, Liamers and Squirrelmagnolia!

AngeSim12
March 31st, 2015, 02:43
Congratulations to everyone who has either been short-listed or alternate so far! :)
I'm getting really nervous seeing results come in from places already. C'mon, Canada!

PuddingHead
March 31st, 2015, 02:45
Pudding, if we end up at training together, let's reminisce about Mountain! :)

I'm very much up for that.

Congratulations PuddingHead, Kyle, Liamers and Squirrelmagnolia!

Thanks! Best of luck to you-

Halebob
March 31st, 2015, 04:36
:099: I just wanna know. Come on London. End the suffering. Just end it :068:

Ogii
March 31st, 2015, 04:54
Accepted, Detroit

Perilwink
March 31st, 2015, 05:02
Just heard back from Atlanta! I'm short-listed!

gibbity
March 31st, 2015, 05:03
Grats perilwink!

jetting?
March 31st, 2015, 05:05
Congrats!!

Liamers
March 31st, 2015, 05:06
congrats perilwink :)

x_stei
March 31st, 2015, 05:16
Super awesome! Congratulations Perilwink!

Perilwink
March 31st, 2015, 05:18
Thanks guys! And I hope you all get your news very soon. This has been a hard wait!

aerid
March 31st, 2015, 05:25
Hey everyone!! Been lurking around the last week, finally decided to join since I've been short-listed!!!I interviewed in Detroit, nice to meet you all :)

JestersJ
March 31st, 2015, 06:19
Haha I guess you can add me to the shortlist. Early Departure from Phoenix but technically interviewed by the LA Consulate

hiddenlee22
March 31st, 2015, 06:19
I'll be the first to say it: Alternate :/

Fantasylife
March 31st, 2015, 06:22
Chicago - SHORTLISTED!!!!

abscondita
March 31st, 2015, 06:24
I got a letter and it said what city I was going to be in so I was lucky to not have to wait for placement news on top of that.

The Irish medical form is different from the American one so it wouldn't be of any use to you anyway

I am in the UK, not America!

BifCarbet
March 31st, 2015, 06:24

Alternates get upgraded all the time. Don't fret.

gibbity
March 31st, 2015, 06:26
Also, Shortlisted from chi-city. you guys had me worried with my work email being all delayed. Everyone posted for a good 5 mins before i got mine... heart drop.

PuddingHead
March 31st, 2015, 06:27

There was such a long list of upgraded Alternates from last year. Don't give up yet.

krayziesensei
March 31st, 2015, 06:41
Shortlisted from Chicago

OtherPulse
March 31st, 2015, 06:43
Well done everyone! I Think I'm Lost is on a winning streak today.

Meanwhile in the UK: *tumble weed*

frayedflower
March 31st, 2015, 06:46
Shortlisted from New York!

rubylis
March 31st, 2015, 06:50
I also got selected as an alternate in NY. =\ the limbo continues...

moonbeam
March 31st, 2015, 06:58

I'm an alternate too. Hopefully someone will drop out and we get upgraded quickly.

jowston
March 31st, 2015, 07:00
Congrats to you guys who got in, especially if you haven't had the chance to live in Japan before. You'll love it if you're ready for a change.

I got the news from New York that I didn't get a position. Coming out of the interview I felt my chances were 50/50, but I at least felt like I did the best I could. To anyone else who didn't get in I sympathize with you big time. Even though I was ready to receive a no, I couldn't predict how it would feel.

Sherlock
March 31st, 2015, 07:10
I'm an alternate too. Hopefully someone will drop out and we get upgraded quickly.
Alternate here as well. Interviewed out of DC as well moonbeam. Good luck to my fellow alternates.

weepinbell
March 31st, 2015, 07:14
Shortlisted Chicago.

Congrats to EVERYONE, regardless of the result. This process was so grueling.. I think we all have something to be proud of.

SailorZorro
March 31st, 2015, 07:18
Yeah, add me to that list of alternates. Funny, I was ready for a no or yes but not alternate. But keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade. Hopefully before the fall semester starts so I don't have to leave my students in the middle of class.
Way to go everyone!

taysukidesu
March 31st, 2015, 07:28
Shortlisted from Houston!!!

I can't believe it omg

dstin
March 31st, 2015, 07:29
Call me the second Short-lister from Houston

Can't wait to meet you Taysukidesu

ichigo
March 31st, 2015, 07:37
Short-listed out of Atlanta! XD Everything seems so unreal right now!

ambrosse
March 31st, 2015, 07:39
You know me ;)
Shortlisted from Chicagoooo

ambrosse
March 31st, 2015, 07:41
Wow, almost all of the registered ITIL who were on the Accepted and On list got shortlisted. Good job, Chicago folks! :D

Fantasylife
March 31st, 2015, 08:07
Wow, almost all of the registered ITIL who were on the Accepted and On list got shortlisted. Good job, Chicago folks! :D

Yeah, we did quite well! I'm looking forward to meeting you, Weepinbell, and all the other Chicago peeps! :)

weepinbell
March 31st, 2015, 08:08
Yeah, wow, Chicago is dominating right now. So excited to see you guys!!!

JetMaybe2015
March 31st, 2015, 08:16
Shortlisted, Chicago, second time JET

Valkerion
March 31st, 2015, 08:24
Alternate :/ out of Atlanta.

Guess I get to decide how long I want to wait before I flat out reject them if they call... which I'm sure they wont.

Kurisuchan
March 31st, 2015, 08:31
Nashville, short-listed.

ambrosse
March 31st, 2015, 08:34
Yeah, we did quite well! I'm looking forward to meeting you, Weepinbell, and all the other Chicago peeps! :)

Yes yes! I'll definitely see you folks at pre-departure, but probably not the optional Q+A session though. I don't have the funds to fly out to Chicago for one day, haha.

Verbatim
March 31st, 2015, 09:07
Nashville, Short listed!

Viral
March 31st, 2015, 09:12
Meanwhile in the UK and its abundance of transparency in the application process...

sourdoughsushi
March 31st, 2015, 09:13
Alaska, you only send like 6 people every year. Come onnnnnnnnnn

Toki
March 31st, 2015, 09:50
Shortlisted from DC :D

Congrats to everyone regardless of the result, you all rock for getting through the crazy process and landing on the other side!

Cbill1
March 31st, 2015, 10:02
Nashville, Short listed!

Aw man, congrats!

John's the best, and Nashville's one of the best places to leave from; I never had any problems getting questions answered, and everyone was very helpful. The pre-departure orientation was pretty great too, I think we actually covered more there than at Tokyo.

simplesam
March 31st, 2015, 10:05
Another short listed from Houston here!

hiddenlee22
March 31st, 2015, 10:12
For the love of all that is holy, Puddin add other alternates to that list. It makes me feel like I'm the only one who didn't shortlist :cool:

alternate
March 31st, 2015, 10:37
Today of all days, I forgot my phone and wallet before heading to work. I was slightly concerned that I would receive a call regarding JET because last year DC short-listers were called instead of emailed.

I received the e-mail while driving from my house after picking up my cell phone and wallet. I didn't read the e-mail completely, but all I could do was smile after reading "congratulations on your selection as a short-list candidate".

Hello, all! After nearly a year in limbo, I have emerged on the DC short list... I should probably change my username. :)

weepinbell
March 31st, 2015, 11:01
Today of all days, I forgot my phone and wallet before heading to work. I was slightly concerned that I would receive a call regarding JET because last year DC short-listers were called instead of emailed.

I received the e-mail while driving from my house after picking up my cell phone and wallet. I didn't read the e-mail completely, but all I could do was smile after reading "congratulations on your selection as a short-list candidate".

Hello, all! After nearly a year in limbo, I have emerged on the DC short list... I should probably change my username. :)

Congrats!!! You have definitely earned it and then some by this point. I'm so happy for you!

Fantasylife
March 31st, 2015, 11:04
I wonder if Puerto Rico got their results yet.

hypatia
March 31st, 2015, 12:41
Call me the second Short-lister from Houston

Can't wait to meet you Taysukidesu

I remember you were an alternate last year (I also applied through Houston) Congratulations on making it this year!!

frayedflower
March 31st, 2015, 12:51

No, please don't change your name - it's a reminder and now it's ironic!

shue
March 31st, 2015, 12:56
Hello from sunny Singapore! Just gotten my shortlist email!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sacredbonzai
March 31st, 2015, 14:29
Another 2014 alternate here who got short listed today from LA! I'm very glad that in the end I decided to try once more.

haitch40
March 31st, 2015, 17:33
I wonder if Puerto Rico got their results yet.
There isn't anything there. They would all have to travel to the mainland to interview as far as I know.

greyjoy
March 31st, 2015, 18:53
Yeah they do, so presuming that New York has notified all of their candidates by now, well just have to wait to see if Zorak is on a blind drunk rampage because he wasn't selected, or because he was.

Fantasylife
March 31st, 2015, 20:49
Yeah they do, so presuming that New York has notified all of their candidates by now, well just have to wait to see if Zorak is on a blind drunk rampage because he wasn't selected, or because he was.

LOL! Yeah, it's him I was looking for yesterday. Fingers crossed he got it.

Ananasboat
March 31st, 2015, 20:53

I'm really hoping he's made it. The sudden silence doesn't bode well in my opinion though... :<

mothy
March 31st, 2015, 22:07
It's puerto rico. The internet is probably spotty at best. Plus he has an education so his parents are probably wealthy so getting kidnapped and held for ransom is probably a bi-weekly event.

Ananasboat
March 31st, 2015, 22:16
It's puerto rico. The internet is probably spotty at best. Plus he has an education so his parents are probably wealthy so getting kidnapped and held for ransom is probably a bi-weekly event.

No joke my brother dated a girl from one of those countries it happens a lot to. Fuck if I can remember the name right now. But she would talk about how almost normal that shit was. Shit's fucked yo.

gibbity
March 31st, 2015, 22:16
For the love of all that is holy, Puddin add other alternates to that list. It makes me feel like I'm the only one who didn't shortlist :cool:

LOL. i was noticing this too while reading through the replies since yesterday. Hopefully my laughing doesnt make you hate me.

AngeSim12
April 1st, 2015, 00:29
Aww, I'm so happy for you! :) Wish you all the best in where in Japan you end up.

frayedflower
April 1st, 2015, 00:52

Everyone I know of was notified, so here's hoping for the best. :(

RainbowSheep
April 1st, 2015, 00:54
Wow, friend of mine received an email yesterday telling him that he'd been accepted.
just received an email today explaining that they'd made a mistake and he was actually an alternate. :o

frayedflower
April 1st, 2015, 00:59
Wow, friend of mine received an email yesterday telling him that he'd been accepted.
just received an email today explaining that they'd made a mistake and he was actually an alternate. :o

So messed up.

simplesam
April 1st, 2015, 01:34

Out of curiosity, was this through the Houston Embassy? I only ask because the same thing just happened to me today... 😕

frayedflower
April 1st, 2015, 02:32
Out of curiosity, was this through the Houston Embassy? I only ask because the same thing just happened to me today... ������

Wait, this happened to more than one person? Damn. D:

dstin
April 1st, 2015, 02:39
I also got "short-listed" yesterday to get an email saying I'm and alternate today...
Also Houston....

x_stei
April 1st, 2015, 02:45
that is just BS. I'm so sorry :(

simplesam
April 1st, 2015, 02:47
Wait, this happened to more than one person? Damn. D:

Yup. It's kind of a major bummer, especially after all the congratulatory comments on Facebook, but I'm really hoping that it'll all work out. The handful of JET alums I know where all upgraded alternates and there are supposedly less alternates this year, so who knows. I can probably kiss my placement requests goodbye (I'll miss you, Hamamatsu), but if there's any sliver of hope that I can go in the future, it's worth holding on to.

MikeCarter
April 1st, 2015, 02:47
Wow, that's just awful.

Whoever managed the emails sent out of Houston needs to be punished for that.

gibbity
April 1st, 2015, 02:56
As awful as it is, I can understand a mistake. And since it was mass mailing, its not like they had made multiple mistakes all day. One mis-paste and it hit everyone.

It really is a hit to the groin for those effected though. :(

Hang in there guys.

weepinbell
April 1st, 2015, 02:59
Still, I would be really upset if that happened to me, regardless of how easy a mistake it might've been. Sorry to hear this guys. I'll be crossing my fingers!

simplesam
April 1st, 2015, 03:09
As awful as it is, I can understand a mistake. And since it was mass mailing, its not like they had made multiple mistakes all day. One mis-paste and it hit everyone.

It really is a hit to the groin for those effected though. :(

Hang in there guys.

Let's just hope that we don't get ANOTHER mass emailing saying they made ANOTHER mistake and that we were all rejected, lol.

gibbity
April 1st, 2015, 03:11
lol, thats pretty much what i was thinking....

Shincantsen
April 1st, 2015, 03:55
Houston has a newish JET coordinator. Not an excuse, but probably why it happened.

Verbatim
April 1st, 2015, 04:34
Thanks, I'm super excited!

Meanwhile, paperwork looms menacingly overhead!

Ace
April 1st, 2015, 04:43
NYC here too...Alternate as well

Zolrak 22
April 1st, 2015, 05:39
*hic* *hic*

A drunk rampage would have been nice either way. [emoji14]

LOL! Yeah, it's him I was looking for yesterday. Fingers crossed he got it.

I'm really hoping he's made it. The sudden silence doesn't bode well in my opinion though... :<
Read the news and I wasn't shortlisted. [emoji53]

It's still nice to see the majority got in though [emoji1].

So don't worry about it and keep celebrating [emoji41].

Yeah, just got away from my captors. I promised them I'd be right back with bacon sandwiches.

No joke my brother dated a girl from one of those countries it happens a lot to.
Lol... Not in Puerto Rico, we are part of the states, remember? [emoji6]

weepinbell
April 1st, 2015, 05:57
Read the news and I wasn't shortlisted. [emoji53]

:( This seriously pains me. I was so sure they would not be able to resist your infectious zeal. Come out to Japan anyway!!! I fully expect you to crash Tokyo Orientation.

Zolrak 22
April 1st, 2015, 06:12
:( This seriously pains me. I was so sure they would not be able to resist your infectious zeal. Come out to Japan anyway!!! I fully expect you to crash Tokyo Orientation.

Sure, as long as you are paying for my flight. [emoji14]

Ananasboat
April 1st, 2015, 07:27
Lol... Not in Puerto Rico, we are part of the states, remember? [emoji6]

I remember now, it was Venezuela. Fear not, I'm not that dumb.

But Zol, if you weren't shortlisted, does that mean you're an alternate?

Sherlock
April 1st, 2015, 07:32
Sorry to hear that you didn't get in Zolrak. I hope you decide to try again next year. I'm surprised you didn't get in from your posts cause you seem pretty awesome.

naginataonthebrain
April 1st, 2015, 07:43
Damn, my apologies Zolrak. JET definitely missed out on a good one. Hope you reapply next year!

tlightk
April 1st, 2015, 07:45
I have a friend who didn't make it past the application process and one who got alternate from the LA consulate. I'm the only one of the three that is for sure going to Japan. I guess I'll have to make some friends now?

prasada
April 1st, 2015, 07:53
Since it seems that everyone getting results at the moment is from group A countries, it would make sense that group B countries will have results next week, right? I sure hope so, I'm dying of anticipation!

MikeCarter
April 1st, 2015, 08:02
Since it seems that everyone getting results at the moment is from group A countries, it would make sense that group B countries will have results next week, right? I sure hope so, I'm dying of anticipation!

Which countries are A and B?

Virgil
April 1st, 2015, 08:02
I can probably kiss my placement requests goodbye (I'll miss you, Hamamatsu), but if there's any sliver of hope that I can go in the future, it's worth holding on to.

I was placed in my #1 preference as an upgraded alternate. It had nothing to do with my request, but it's always possible.

acpc2203
April 1st, 2015, 08:13
Just got shortlisted out of Honolulu!

MikeCarter
April 1st, 2015, 08:14
Out of curiosity, is there a post or thread out there already that gives a decent summary of the alternatives to JET and their differences? If I don't get in I'd like to try an alternative, but unfortunately there's a few things I'd need to be sure of first.

Fantasylife
April 1st, 2015, 08:31
Just got shortlisted out of Honolulu!

Congrats!!!!

moonbeam
April 1st, 2015, 09:04
I don't think it matters if it's Group A or B. Atlanta is Group A and DC is B, but both have sent out their results.

sourdoughsushi
April 1st, 2015, 09:48
The fiance is IN! Praise baby raptor jesus!

prasada
April 1st, 2015, 10:29
Which countries are A and B?
Not 100% sure, but I think the USA, Australia and Singapore, at least are group A, and NZ is definitely with group B, I dunno who else is.

prasada
April 1st, 2015, 10:29
I don't think it matters if it's Group A or B. Atlanta is Group A and DC is B, but both have sent out their results.
Eugh dammit, I wish our embassy would hurry up!

Apollo87
April 1st, 2015, 10:35
Congratulations everyone that got shortlisted, and for those who didnt, I'm really sorry to hear that..

Don't give up hope if you are an alternate! Most of my alternate friends were eventually upgraded. I'd recommend trying to move forward with your life and just keeping it on the backburner however.

Really hope Canada gets the results in soon too. I feel even more anxious this time around then when I was applying.

PuddingHead
April 1st, 2015, 12:42

Sorry! Updated!

MaxLC
April 1st, 2015, 14:51

I talked to the person at the Wellington office and they said that we will know towards the end of next week in letter form.

prasada
April 1st, 2015, 15:39
I talked to the person at the Wellington office and they said that we will know towards the end of next week in letter form.
Yay! Thank you for letting me know!

hypatia
April 1st, 2015, 16:16
Houston has a newish JET coordinator. Not an excuse, but probably why it happened.

Yeah. The previous one moved to Australia not long after the 2014 Houston JETs left for Japan. So this is the current Houston Coordinator's first rodeo, so to speak.

tacotruck
April 1st, 2015, 17:55

I feel sorry for you Wellington people. I got my shortlist notification from the Christchurch consulate today and the Aucklanders got theirs on Monday. The anticipation was driving me crazy, so I can't imagine what you're experiencing with this extended wait. Good luck, I hope you get your results soon.

Lorenzo
April 1st, 2015, 20:27
Hell yeah, shortlisted (UK, London). Kinda astonished. Thought my interview was really bad. Barely keeping it together.

Virgil
April 1st, 2015, 20:32
Hell yeah, shortlisted (UK, London). Kinda astonished. Thought my interview was really bad. Barely keeping it together.
Grats. I think people that are hyper critical tend to stand a better chance.

x_stei
April 1st, 2015, 22:36

Congratulations! Good to hear that the Royal Mail is still working well!?

Is Canada the last one then...??

Lorenzo
April 1st, 2015, 22:41
Thanks guys!

Frap
April 1st, 2015, 23:30
UK Shortlister, here!

Elysi
April 2nd, 2015, 01:29
Finally heard from Denver! Shortlisted!!!

ambrosse
April 2nd, 2015, 01:40

Congrats :D :D Welcome to the party!

naginataonthebrain
April 2nd, 2015, 01:59

Congratulations! Glad that Denver caught up with the rest of the country!

Elysi
April 2nd, 2015, 02:11
Thanks :) Me too. Though apparently Denver didn't do the whole mass email thing for all shortlisters because someone posted in the Facebook group that they were shortlisted about 20 min before I got my email. Made me think I was an alternate or got rejected for those 20 minutes.

(I may or may not have been compulsively checking everything for the past 2 days)

Melon Bread
April 2nd, 2015, 04:12
New user here!

I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to sign up.

Shortlisted from Houston!

prasada
April 2nd, 2015, 07:41
I feel sorry for you Wellington people. I got my shortlist notification from the Christchurch consulate today and the Aucklanders got theirs on Monday. The anticipation was driving me crazy, so I can't imagine what you're experiencing with this extended wait. Good luck, I hope you get your results soon.

What! Well our results can't be too far off then! Congratulations on being shortlisted!

vaterross
April 2nd, 2015, 08:47
Guam has responded, shortlisted.

Now to get to filling out documents and playing international mail tag.

greyjoy
April 2nd, 2015, 10:46
Lots of people outing their secret identities on the incoming jets Facebook group. Good news for Aitch40. Maybe someone has an even more embarrassing hobby than your hair doll collection.

Virgil
April 2nd, 2015, 10:55
Looks likes some weebsters from the Houston/Texas area. I really hope that's not any of you.

naginataonthebrain
April 2nd, 2015, 12:32
Lots of people outing their secret identities on the incoming jets Facebook group. Good news for Aitch40. Maybe someone has an even more embarrassing hobby than your hair doll collection.

Meh, if people figure me out through that group, I don't mind. I think I kept my stupid shenanigans to a minimum on here.

webstaa
April 2nd, 2015, 12:51

Not generally a good idea to let slip where you live/what your as far as JET goes on the internet. This is the age of doxxing.

Ananasboat
April 2nd, 2015, 13:03
That and I've heard there are people over in 2c that translate some of the juicy threads here and laugh about us. I've even heard (but cannot verify) that people have gotten fired from this sort of stuff. So please do be careful.

Virgil
April 2nd, 2015, 13:04
Yeah, I don't care too much. I'm of the school of thought that if someone wants to know who you are, they will find out.

Lorenzo
April 2nd, 2015, 13:16
Probably shouldn't have used my real name when signing up here, huh.

AltDimension
April 2nd, 2015, 17:19
UK Shortlisted!

Mechking
April 2nd, 2015, 19:21
Shortlisted from London!

RainKing
April 2nd, 2015, 19:29
Out of interest those from the UK updating today, did you get your acceptance letter yesterday or today? Wondering if we can actually lend credence to the 'if you don't get your results first day, you're likely to have been rejected/alternated' theory.

Mechking
April 2nd, 2015, 19:41
I got mine in the post about 40 minutes ago

RainKing
April 2nd, 2015, 19:47
Interdasting, well the postman's been and gone here but my friend is at our student house in Manchester so I guess there's time for Post 2: Electric Boogaloo later in the day.
In the mean time, I feel I'd better start looking up different job positions... I speak Russian better than I do Japanese, why don't they do RET or something? How inconsiderate.

Rmtcts
April 2nd, 2015, 19:52
Got mine today, rejected. :(

Halebob
April 2nd, 2015, 19:57
Absolutely gutted. Got my rejection letter.
There wasn't even anything I feel I could've done differently.
Here comes the anger.

RainKing
April 2nd, 2015, 20:59
If you don't mind me asking, why anger particularly? I can understand being let down or just upset, but anger implies that you definitely deserved it and that it's a fault on JET's part?

Edit: Unless it's self-directed anger

Halebob
April 2nd, 2015, 21:08
I guess it's just a range of emotions to go through. I knew there was no guarantees and I tried to be pessimistic, but there is always part of you that thinks 'my application was good, my interview went well, I'm a TESOL graduate, and I've been before.' so I have a good chance of getting on. But then I have my age going against me, I'm married and he requires a dependents visa.
Unless you majorly ballsed up in your interview, I'm sure everyone had that little part of them that thought 'I deserve this'.
I think it's partly to do with it being the easiest option for my husband and myself. I applied for jobs last year and was outright rejected after application because he requires a dependents visa (even though we can do it ourselves) and then they proceeded to attack my personal circumstances and put me off going to Japan. Then there's Interac which don't pay enough in the first place, don't pay for flights and reduced pay over holidays.
Just not quite sure if we're going to get to Japan now, and it's something we've both wanted for a long time and I've been working towards for the last 5 years.

Rmtcts
April 2nd, 2015, 21:11
That last bit is the main thing for me. Living abroad would be a brilliant opportunity and one that gets exponentially harder as you get older and build a life in your country. The idea that I might not get to experience that at all is worrying.

Virgil
April 2nd, 2015, 21:19
From what I've seen age isn't a huge deal, and I know a few married folks on JET. The only thing that concerns me is that you can't pinpoint where you went wrong in the process. It seems that most folk who make JET (or any job for that matter) know their weaknesses well. They know what They need to improve. Maybe you could start there?

Ini
April 2nd, 2015, 21:24
That last bit is the main thing for me. Living abroad would be a brilliant opportunity and one that gets exponentially harder as you get older and build a life in your country. The idea that I might not get to experience that at all is worrying.

arent you from the UK? you can just get in the car, drive to anywhere you like in mainland europe and set up shop. living abroad is hardly difficult if you have the stones to try it without the safety net of a government run programme.

Halebob
April 2nd, 2015, 22:24
From what I've seen age isn't a huge deal, and I know a few married folks on JET. The only thing that concerns me is that you can't pinpoint where you went wrong in the process. It seems that most folk who make JET (or any job for that matter) know their weaknesses well. They know what They need to improve. Maybe you could start there?

Condescending much???
I know my weaknesses. I've had plenty of interview experience over the years, and rejections to deal with.
The main question I asked myself was 'if I were to apply again, would I do anything different?' And the answer is no. I felt my personal statement was strong (which they commented on in interview) and I answered my questions well, bar the obvious nerves. That's why I don't feel there is anything to improve on.
I feel less angry now. Some people go on, some don't. So is life. As i said before, it's just one of a range of emotions to go through. My current ones are the feeling of worthlessness and that no one is going to want to hire me.

Gunjumero
April 2nd, 2015, 22:34
Condescending much???

Where ?

He asks , I think, because usually when someone says they weren't selected they'll tell you : oh I was too nervous during my interview, I gave bad answers , I froze when they asked me questions for example.

He gives you a recommendation to try to find what out what you could work on. Did you speak loudly enough, did they have trouble understanding you and made you repeat, were you excited and positive, did you look them in the eyes, put in some smile, I don't know.

Halebob
April 2nd, 2015, 22:44
I know to people through the internet, I may sound like an overconfident, jumped up, know it all. But I'm really not. I've had the last 2 months to ask myself all of these questions. And again today. The case is that some people just don't get on despite how well they thought it went. There are lots of applicants and not enough places. Obviously some people aren't going to get through. There was obviously something about me that didn't fit. What? I do not know. I wish I did, because if it is something to improve on that I haven't picked up on, then great. But, alas, we don't get any feedback, so I'm left wondering.

Gunjumero
April 2nd, 2015, 22:56
There was obviously something about me that didn't fit. What? I do not know. I wish I did, because if it is something to improve on that I haven't picked up on, then great

I agree with you on that. Beyond calling the consulate in a week or two and ask if they could tell you some notes the interviewers took that lead to your rejection, you won't know.

I'm not saying I'd recommend people do that but I fail to see what else you could do.

Halebob
April 2nd, 2015, 23:16
The letter said they couldn't comment on individual cases. So I'm guessing a no :(

Rmtcts
April 3rd, 2015, 00:16
living abroad is hardly difficult if you have the stones to try it without the safety net of a government run programme.

Well that's the point isn't it? Getting a job is difficult enough at the moment, and that's not including not being fluent at all in the language of wherever I go. I do have other things I want to do with my life, so I'm not exactly gonna make things more difficult than they need to be. :P

naturetrips
April 3rd, 2015, 00:22
Shortlisted in the UK (London)!!

BifCarbet
April 3rd, 2015, 00:31
I'm not exactly gonna make things more difficult than they need to be. :P

I think that's what Ini is talking about. Moving abroad requires some courage, regardless of how you make the move. If you really want to go, you won't mind making things a little more difficult.

x_stei
April 3rd, 2015, 01:34
Hey guys. Just two question for those of you who are shortlisted:

1. For the people who interviewed in the US, were you allowed to pick a city most close to you to interview in? Or were you automatically assigned a city?
2. How much time before all the forms need to sent back after you are given notice that you are shortlisted?

ambrosse
April 3rd, 2015, 01:47
Hey guys. Just two question for those of you who are shortlisted:

1. For the people who interviewed in the US, were you allowed to pick a city most close to you to interview in? Or were you automatically assigned a city?
2. How much time before all the forms need to sent back after you are given notice that you are shortlisted?

You can choose whichever consulate location you want. Most people just go for what's closest to them.

Chicago dates:
Reply forms, passport copy, and the copy of your FBI background check app are due by April 20th. Health check and FBI check are due roughly the beginning of June.
Dates may vary from consulate to consulate though, so it's not definite.

BarnSwallow
April 3rd, 2015, 02:39
We're getting ours in Canada now. I got alternate. Interesting, haha. The wait continues

AngeSim12
April 3rd, 2015, 02:40
Canadian results are coming now, including mine (from the Montreal Consulate): Alternate!

meowland
April 3rd, 2015, 03:17
I've been shortlisted (Toronto)!

x_stei
April 3rd, 2015, 04:39
Shortlisted from Toronto!! :)

blik
April 3rd, 2015, 05:25
Shortlisted from Toronto as well! :D

Alastor
April 3rd, 2015, 07:01
Short-listed from Vancouver.

borilocks
April 3rd, 2015, 08:02
Shortlisted from Vancouver :D

fairiehearts
April 3rd, 2015, 08:22
Shortlisted also from Vancouver :3

AyaReiko
April 3rd, 2015, 09:20
ALT...ernate, from Ottawa.

rifare
April 3rd, 2015, 17:58
Shortlisted from Sydney, Australia!
Looking forward to meeting all you lovely shortlisted (and alternate, fingers crossed!) applicants. :)

RainKing
April 4th, 2015, 20:12
Alternate CIR - Time to wait and see~

Ananasboat
April 4th, 2015, 20:17
RainKing, are you the person in your avatar?

RainKing
April 4th, 2015, 20:17
Yep, I got interviewed on Mt. Fuji for YOUは何しに日本へ. Twice actually, but one didn't make it to air. If you can find it knocking about on the internet, you can watch a heavily edited interview that makes me seem like a lazy gaijin peen. My Japanese teachers like to hold it above my head and show it to lower years because it's pretty funny tbh

Ananasboat
April 4th, 2015, 20:20
Yeah, a friend of yours showed it to me a while ago. Nice to meet you.

RainKing
April 4th, 2015, 20:28
Loooooool who?! Just first name pls at least, I need to know!

Ananasboat
April 4th, 2015, 20:30
Sorry, it's a super secret. I can't expose my online identity.

Zolrak 22
April 4th, 2015, 20:31
Loooooool who?! Just first name pls at least, I need to know!
You are asking her to break what's basically the #1 rule here. [emoji6]

Ini
April 4th, 2015, 20:32
Loooooool who?! Just first name pls at least, I need to know! I'm guessing http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/22377000/ngbbs4d3f7aae15b26.jpg

Ananasboat
April 4th, 2015, 20:33
I'm guessing http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/22377000/ngbbs4d3f7aae15b26.jpg

How'd you find that picture of me? Wow, crazy.

Zolrak 22
April 4th, 2015, 20:37
We are gonna have to start hiding you from Word now. [emoji53]

RainKing
April 4th, 2015, 20:40
Well it's either going to be someone from my university who's abroad working there or someone I met when I was studying at Chuo. I can live with the suspense, it makes life that much spicier.

RainKing
April 4th, 2015, 20:42

Wow, google's pretty harsh

Ananasboat
April 4th, 2015, 20:42
Should I tell him now that I smoke, or would that put him over the edge?

Zolrak 22
April 4th, 2015, 20:44
Should I tell him now that I smoke, or would that put him over the edge?
That might stop him from jumping your bones, we'll see.

RainKing
April 4th, 2015, 21:03
I swear Japan does that to everyone... You can't say no to a 500 yen pack of fags, nomihoudai and only the greatest enka hits at karaoke

wellwellwelll
April 5th, 2015, 05:05
shortlisted from Houston~

(I made a topic about this and it has yet to be mod approved, but does anyone know for the Accident Insurance Form what our JET number is?)

Me_Gustavo
April 5th, 2015, 07:32
Shortlisted from Los Angeles! I'm a little late to the game but a week of celebrating had to happen... Now that thing have calmed down and paper work has been sent off, does anyone hate how close were cutting it with the FBI checks? The shenanigans of having to submit two background checks (one for Canada and one for the US) is stressful.

miamicoordinator
April 5th, 2015, 11:44
shortlisted from Houston~

(I made a topic about this and it has yet to be mod approved, but does anyone know for the Accident Insurance Form what our JET number is?)

You will get your jet id number when you get yout placement info in may. You cant fill out the insurance form yet.

Trip
April 5th, 2015, 17:43
My first post! I'm a UK candidate who has been shortlisted!

Almost finished filling out all of the paperwork, I just need to get an appointment with my doctor.

jetting?
April 7th, 2015, 02:42
Sorry this might be out of nowhere, but just wanted to see if this was possible.

This year I was short-listed for JET. However, recently I was accepted into a language learning program (IUC) and CLS. So, I'm considering turning down JET.

Does turning JET down hinder my chances of being short-listed in the future? Like, is this the only shot I have for JET since I was short-listed now?

haitch40
April 7th, 2015, 02:43
Sorry this might be out of nowhere, but just wanted to see if this was possible.

This year I was short-listed for JET. However, recently I was accepted into a language learning program (IUC) and CLS. So, I'm considering turning down JET.

Does turning JET down hinder my chances of being short-listed in the future? Like, is this the only shot I have for JET since I was short-listed now?
As long as you decline before getting a placement you are fine.
You will need to apply and interview again though.

miamicoordinator
April 7th, 2015, 02:47

There are no consequences to turning down a position on JET as long as you have not found out your placement information (sometime in May). If you turn it down now, you can apply again next year without a problem. There are many people who get into great grad school programs, or have family emergencies and need to apply the next year, and that is fine.

Just remember though that just because you were shortlisted this year, it does not mean you will be shortlisted next year. The person checking your application in DC will be totally different, so you might not even make it to the interview process. If you do get an interview, the crop of JETs you are going up against will be different, and maybe more competitive.

That is great you were accepted into those two programs though, I think they are definitely worth putting JET on hold for (imo).

jetting?
April 7th, 2015, 02:57
Thanks MC!

Hahah I've been so anxious about deciding between CLS/IUC and JET. Knowing this is a bit of a relief (I was thinking they keep a list of peeps that turned them down and they remember...)

texxaport
April 7th, 2015, 04:04
Shortlisted from Calgary, Canada!

JET ProgramCoordinator SF
April 7th, 2015, 06:24
Thanks MC!

Hahah I've been so anxious about deciding between CLS/IUC and JET. Knowing this is a bit of a relief (I was thinking they keep a list of peeps that turned them down and they remember...)

Oh, we do. Remember, we're all-seeing and all-knowing omniscient JET Program Coordinators...benevolent yet jealous kamisamas of Japan.

miamicoordinator
April 7th, 2015, 06:30
Oh, we do. Remember, we're all-seeing and all-knowing omniscient JET Program Coordinators...benevolent yet jealous kamisamas of Japan.

Shhhhhhhhhh! Come on now SF. Don't reveal our secrets!:cool:

jetting?
April 7th, 2015, 07:30

Shhhhhhhhhh! Come on now SF. Don't reveal our secrets!:cool:

Oh no!

naginataonthebrain
April 8th, 2015, 06:05
Just passing on the message from the alternates thread but....moonbeam has already been contacted by DC and is now on the shortlist!

moonbeam
April 8th, 2015, 09:21
*princess wave* It's true, I am.

Fantasylife
April 8th, 2015, 09:25
*princess wave* It's true, I am.

Wow, that was quick! Congrats!!!! That must've been one, happy shock!

PuddingHead
April 9th, 2015, 21:30
Wow, that was really fast. Updated and congrats!

mothy
April 9th, 2015, 21:34
But you'll never be as good as us day one shortlisters!

word
April 9th, 2015, 22:19
Lies. Some of my favorite JETs have been alternates. Some of the worst JETs I've known were shortlisters.

Ananasboat
April 9th, 2015, 22:46
TBH, I don't know if any of the people who live around me were alternates.

I detest them all equally.

jk: a couple are cool. The couple who know my user name at least.

word
April 9th, 2015, 22:47
Based off what? Willingness to choke on the good word's dick?

Pretty much, yeh.

moonbeam
April 11th, 2015, 05:24
But you'll never be as good as us day one shortlisters!

With all the stories you guys have told of other useless JETs...I seriously doubt that.

naginataonthebrain
April 11th, 2015, 05:36
Moonbeam makes a good point.

ShareBear
April 14th, 2015, 10:01
Congrats to everyone that got shortlisted! I am an alternate from Detroit.

Penguinonfire
April 18th, 2015, 11:20
I got some great news today. I am no longer an alternate and have now been short-listed! I'm surprised no one else from Portland appears to be on the boards but I suppose I'll get to meet them when we all leave.
Congrats to the short-listers, and to the alternates: keep the faith (but move on with your backup plans just in case!)

BifCarbet
April 18th, 2015, 11:21
Congratulations!

Perilwink
April 18th, 2015, 13:10
Congrats Penguin! And hopefully it's still early enough you get a decent placement!

x_stei
April 19th, 2015, 02:01
I got some great news today. I am no longer an alternate and have now been short-listed! I'm surprised no one else from Portland appears to be on the boards but I suppose I'll get to meet them when we all leave.
Congrats to the short-listers, and to the alternates: keep the faith (but move on with your backup plans just in case!)

Awesome! Congrats!

singinglupines
April 22nd, 2015, 05:09
I'll add it here as well, for a full tally.

Yesterday, I was upgraded from alternate with the Nashville consulate! Just as I had started my backup plan.

sembei
April 22nd, 2015, 06:36
Coming out of the shadows after lurking for the greater part of this 2015 application cycle. Add my name to the list! Shortlisted CIR out of the San Francisco consulate.

I mainly post on the CIR-specific forum as ITIL is pretty ALT-centric but an unknown force is compelling me to join the ranks here as well.

Congrats to everyone who has received good news sofar! よろしく and all that~

snowfaire
April 23rd, 2015, 01:45
Hello! I was shortlisted as an ALT out of the New York office.

Sherlock
April 23rd, 2015, 23:33
Upgraded from alternate to shortlister yesterday! Applied out of the Washington DC Embassy. Glad I got upgraded so early so Tokyo can start working on my placement along with the rest of the shortlisters!

PuddingHead
April 24th, 2015, 01:00
Oh, excellent! Updated. Congratulations everyone!

Japam
April 24th, 2015, 01:30
Coming out of the shadows after lurking for the greater part of this 2015 application cycle. Add my name to the list! Shortlisted CIR out of the San Francisco consulate.

I mainly post on the CIR-specific forum as ITIL is pretty ALT-centric but an unknown force is compelling me to join the ranks here as well.

Snap. Long-time lurker - this site's a life-saver.

Edit: I've just realised that I post an average of 0.6 times a year.

BifCarbet
April 24th, 2015, 02:44

Congrats, sembei! I'm a short-list CIR from LA. I think we're in different groups (A for me, B for you) but I'll be seeing you somewhere down the line.

tribble
April 24th, 2015, 07:46
Congrats on the upgrade, Sherlock!

I don't think I ever said (because I basically just lurk), I was short-listed out of Detroit :)

moonbeam
April 24th, 2015, 08:21
Upgraded from alternate to shortlister yesterday! Applied out of the Washington DC Embassy. Glad I got upgraded so early so Tokyo can start working on my placement along with the rest of the shortlisters!

Congrats! See you at orientation!

MandiPanda13
April 25th, 2015, 05:08
Short listed- Anchorage,AK!

hanna93
April 26th, 2015, 10:02
Shortlisted from Chicago! :)

shue
April 27th, 2015, 19:48
Congrats to all the upgraders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marmite
April 27th, 2015, 22:02
I'm a London candidate. I've just been upgraded from the alternate list :)

singinglupines
April 29th, 2015, 00:34
I'm a London candidate. I've just been upgraded from the alternate list :)
yay! Congrats!