PDA

View Full Version : 2015 JET Alternates Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sherlock
March 31st, 2015, 07:28
2015 JET Alternates

Hiddenlee22- New York
Ace- New York

moonbeam- Washington DC-(UPRGRADED 4/7/15)
Sherlock- Washington DC- (UPGRADED 4/22/2015)

Valkerion- Atlanta

SailorZoro- Nashville
Singinglupines- Nashville (UPGRADED 4/20/15)
tegteg-Nashville

Penguinonfire- Portland (UPGRADED 4/17/15)

Dstin- Houston

Bdn197- Chicago (UPGRADED 4/28/15)

DualTheSol- Ottawa (UPGRADED 4/27/15)

ktamzin- UK (UPGRADED 5/12/15)

MaxLC- Wellington (UPGRADED 5/17)

Barnswallow- Toronto (UPGRADED 5/19/15)

Sharebear- Detroit (UPGRADED 5/20/15)

Figured I'd start a thread for this year's alternates to talk/encourage/commiserate with one another without bogging down the aspiring thread. Just found out I'm an alternate here in the US out of the DC Embassy.

My first impression of being an alternate is that it will be very frustrating. I'm good at dealing with acceptance and rejection but maybes have always irked me. The prospect of getting into JET excites me but not going to departure orientation and Tokyo orientation with everyone else if accepted late would be a major letdown.

hiddenlee22
March 31st, 2015, 08:34
I probably have a different impression of being an alternate seeing as how I felt my performance during my interview was laughable. And that doesn't come from a place of self-pity. I would have laughed if I was on the other side of that desk, looking at me. So I am somewhat happy and consider myself lucky to have gotten the alternate position.

However, I do understand what every alternate is probably feeling right now. The feeling of ambiguity can arguably be worse than flat out rejection. We're in this gray area, where our lives are still on hold, one of the worst parts about JET.

Valkerion
March 31st, 2015, 08:52
My first impression of being an alternate is that it will be very frustrating. I'm good at dealing with acceptance and rejection but maybes have always irked me. The prospect of getting into JET excites me but not going to departure orientation and Tokyo orientation with everyone else if accepted late would be a major letdown.

This is a big part of it for me too. I'd hate to just be thrown into the wild like that even if the other stuff that the shortlisters got is just basic... its still something.

Either way its more a feeling of disappointment on my end. It is probably in my head but all the people who helped me get the stuff together for the application and what not, kinda feels like I let them down too. Though not outright rejected, its still a similar feeling. Mostly cause the area I'm in has 0 Japanese anything and kinda in the middle of nowhere, and the various professors and what not who helped me out with recommendations and what not were super pumped to send me off hopefully so they can brag and what not haha. Hard enough for me to ask others for help let alone letting them down. Same with my mom, she was hyped as hell when I went to the interview even though I kept trying to remind everyone its just an interview not a job acceptance thing lol. Probably should not have gotten into that mind set in the first place but kinda hard.

I guess i'm happy to be alternate but I cannot shake that feeling of dread that it won't pay off even if I keep putting off major things knowing that I "could be contacted" between now and the end of the year. Jet was just a big chance to get the heck out of this one horse town... actually its like 500 cows.

Virgil
March 31st, 2015, 09:11
I didn't put off anything. I went full steam ahead ( I had already started my career before the interview ) I was cast in a musical that was set to start in two weeks before I was notified, I was auditioning for a band (and in the process of recording tracks).

I knew in the back of my mind that I could still get a call all the way through December, but I basically just gave up on the idea of JET. Sure enough, come December I get a call (5 minutes before one of my classes is going to start) asking me if I was still interested. I said yes, with the intention of being able to call back later and say never mind. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that it was impossible for me to turn it down. I would always look back and wonder "What would it have been like if I did do it?"

So I had to drop everything - and it sucked.
I am still pretty happy with my decision though.
I think it would be much worse to postpone your life for a chance to travel.
I guess what I'm saying is that if you still really want to do JET - do all of your paperwork. Then give up on it (unless you want to apply for the next year). But always know that a possibility of that call looms ... even in December. My arrival time turned out to be pretty awesome too.

SailorZorro
March 31st, 2015, 10:23
I fully intend to live my life, just as I have been doing. At work, I've been going with the assumption that I'll be there in the fall teaching classes and everything else. I'll have to decide what I'm going to do should I get called in the middle of the semester, tho. Yeah it's definitely a gray area and there are always gonna be things you have to either miss out on or risk losing money/credibility for bailing at the last minute.
For example I was gonna go on a trip at the end of August if I didn't make it on JET, I need to start paying non refundable money now. Some decisions have to be made. Lets just say, I hope I lose some money.

Sherlock
March 31st, 2015, 11:10
I've been busy with work all day so I'm still processing the news. I was prepared for a yes or no not a ??? Personally I have a well paying job right now that I can make a real career out of. I was willing to give it up for JET because my current job is not one I ever wanted but I couldn't get work in my desired field.

I consoled myself that if I got rejected I could keep working(got a promotion coming up!) and save for grad school. Buy myself a vehicle that was made in the 21st century not the 20th. Be able to sign a long term lease and get my own place. Alternate status makes me postpone everything for a maybe.

At the moment I have every intention of reapplying later this year though thinking about going through this again is tiring when theres not even a gurantee I'll get alternate next year. Next I'll still have no passion for my current job and I'll be yet another year older.

Venting all that makes me feel a bit better!

johnny
March 31st, 2015, 11:36
There's still a lot of hope out there. For all you guys know, you're near the top of the list. You just don't know. I was apparently the first upgrade out of my city.

I think you'll start hearing about upgrades in about a month give or take a week when you have the first group of shortlisters declining the offer.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Sherlock
March 31st, 2015, 12:11
There's still a lot of hope out there. For all you guys know, you're near the top of the list. You just don't know. I was apparently the first upgrade out of my city.

I think you'll start hearing about upgrades in about a month give or take a week when you have the first group of shortlisters declining the offer.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Johnny thanks for the encouragement. Its good to know there are former alternates who got the upgrade! I think what makes me see getting upgraded as a slim chance is that its hard for me to see someone declining an offer from JET. Its something that a lot of people like myself and others on this site have wanted for years and worked hard for. Objectively I know there have to be some short listers who are considering turning down their offer but its tough to get a feeling of the number since everyone on this site is so passionate!

Virgil
March 31st, 2015, 13:05
You'd probably be shocked at the amount of people that applied/interviewed on a whim, and are no longer very interested. You might not be shocked about the number of people who are going to freak out and/or aren't going to get along with their schools come this fall.

Sherlock
March 31st, 2015, 13:10
You'd probably be shocked at the amount of people that applied/interviewed on a whim, and are no longer very interested. You might not be shocked about the number of people who are going to freak out and/or aren't going to get along with their schools come this fall.

Very well said and you make some good points!

Virgil
March 31st, 2015, 13:19
You also get selection bias when reading forum posts. Leading up to it, the people posting are people that are putting a lot into their application/interview. Then after shortlist results are out it seems like everyone was shortlisted, because they are posting the most. Even less so are some alternates. How many people do you see posting "I was rejected?" There have been a few, but it is definitely not representative of the actual numbers.

shue
March 31st, 2015, 13:33
Hello all, I just wanted to share my experience with you. This is my 4th year applying, and I finally got it.

In my first year, I didn't even get an interview. It was rather disappointing but not entirely unexpected because my resume wasn't particularly strong.

In my second year, I scored an interview and got into Alt. I kept waiting for that upgrade call but it never came. I decided to stop pinning hopes on JET as my only gateway to staying in Japan so I spent 3 weeks at farms for free food & lodging, practicing my language at the same time.

In my third year, I got Alternate again and was frankly quite crushed. At that point I assumed all was lost, similar to my previous year's experience. To my surprise, I got an upgrade call in May. However, I had made a huge financial commitment just a couple days before, and very regretfully I had to decline (after checking that I was still eligible the following year, since I had rejected prior to placement).

I then began to see how else I could strengthen my resume so that I could be a stronger candidate this year. I couldn't afford the time nor money to get a proper teaching qualification, so I did the next best thing -- I did volunteer work at the library with kids. I enjoyed myself very much. It made my resume stronger, and it also affirmed my wish to do JET.

Fast forward today, I finally received my acceptance.

To those who are on Alt, don't give up, but don't stagnate either. If you love Japan, go to Japan anyway, with or without JET. It will help your resume. Be hopeful, lots of upgrades happen. But at the same time be realistic and start planning how to make your application stronger next year. Someone once said, being Alternate means you are good enough for the Programme, but there were other stronger candidates than you. So rejoice in the fact that you have passed the basics, and work on making yourself a stronger candidate for the following year. I think the committee likes repeat applicants, don't despair! GOOD LUCK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mothy
March 31st, 2015, 14:35
4 years trying to get on JET? That's the saddest thing I've ever heard on ITIL, and anusbloat's grandfather just died.

Virgil
March 31st, 2015, 14:41
4 years trying to get on JET? That's the saddest thing I've ever heard on ITIL, and anusbloat's grandfather just died.

Can we get some aloe vera up in here?

shue
March 31st, 2015, 14:51

It's 3 years, if you can do math. And it was okay since it wasn't the only thing happening in my life. I guess if ITIL's the only thing in your life that's rather sad too.

mothy
March 31st, 2015, 15:04
It's 3 years, if you can do math. And it was okay since it wasn't the only thing happening in my life. I guess if ITIL's the only thing in your life that's rather sad too.

English not so strong? No wonder it took 4 years.

Ananasboat
March 31st, 2015, 15:43

Muffy, it might just be my terrible sense of humor, but that made me chuckle. Thanks dude.

hiddenlee22
March 31st, 2015, 21:12
Because this thread doesn't have enough salty people already

gibbity
March 31st, 2015, 23:22
Like people have been saying, Alternates (this year especially) should stay upbeat. I know Lee is a worry wart, but the odds are very good that you guys will be getting some good news. Dont let yourself feel bad about it, just one more little wait.

I'll be rootin for you guys still.

moonbeam
April 1st, 2015, 00:29
I'm trying to stay upbeat, believe me, but it's hard because I didn't get upgraded last year, even with the "good odds". And having to hear "so when are you going to Japan?" over and over again is going to make me lose my mind. But then again, I'm just super on edge because I have an exam tomorrow for a new job and my grandmother is dying. So. Yeah. Rough week.

gibbity
April 1st, 2015, 00:32
I'm trying to stay upbeat, believe me, but it's hard because I didn't get upgraded last year, even with the "good odds". And having to hear "so when are you going to Japan?" over and over again is going to make me lose my mind. But then again, I'm just super on edge because I have an exam tomorrow for a new job and my grandmother is dying. So. Yeah. Rough week.

sounds really rough. just one thing at a time bud. dont take everything on at once. sorry to hear about your grandmother not doing too well.

hiddenlee22
April 1st, 2015, 01:48
I know Lee is a worry wart, but the odds are very good that you guys will be getting some good news.

I'm the resident worry wart here. :cool:

In all seriousness, we all have a reasonable chance of getting upgraded. I think they took more JETs on this year so there's a greater chance some of them will flyjin, disqualify, or just not take the job for whatever reason (looking at you Hokkaido). Keep the spirits up.

I completely get what you're going through. My grandfather just passed away last week. That, along with school, work, this whole JET process, it can definitely be rough. Like gibbity said, take it one step at a time. It's all you really can do to maintain sanity :cool:

SailorZorro
April 1st, 2015, 02:54
That's rough for both of you. I'm very sorry to hear it.
Right now though, as much as it sucks that we are stuck in limbo, at least we didn't get our hopes up to be dashed. I feel so bad for the people who were told one thing, then told a mistake was made. I would've been devastated. Do you think they were called? It's like your worst nightmare coming true. At least it's alternate and not short list to no list.

weepinbell
April 1st, 2015, 03:02

I'm so sorry to hear all that. That's really hard.

Have you considered going to Japan through a private company? I think there's a handful of people on here who did that, and ended up applying for JET the following year while simultaneously working in Japan. Same goes for people getting upgraded while working another job over there.

moonbeam
April 1st, 2015, 03:18
I'm so sorry to hear all that. That's really hard.

Have you considered going to Japan through a private company? I think there's a handful of people on here who did that, and ended up applying for JET the following year while simultaneously working in Japan. Same goes for people getting upgraded while working another job over there.

I have thought of that, but I'm not willing to settle with Interac or something else. I know JET doesn't pay as much as they used to but their package is still better than the rest. As in they pay you every month...Plus I'd like to get on with my life if I don't get upgraded within the next few months, like go back to school or start a career.

But it'll work out, one way or another. In a few days, when everything has calmed down a little, I know I'll feel better. It's just nice to commiserate with everyone, haha.

weepinbell
April 1st, 2015, 03:33
I have thought of that, but I'm not willing to settle with Interac or something else. I know JET doesn't pay as much as they used to but their package is still better than the rest. As in they pay you every month...Plus I'd like to get on with my life if I don't get upgraded within the next few months, like go back to school or start a career.

But it'll work out, one way or another. In a few days, when everything has calmed down a little, I know I'll feel better. It's just nice to commiserate with everyone, haha.

For sure! Yeah, I get that. Interac seems so dicey with pay, I looked into it as a backup and I saw they like cut your pay during holiday months... yikes. I had a back up plan with an eikawa that had the best package I could find, but even they said at the interview, they consider their package second to JET haha. Cool that they acknowledged it though. They did however have 5 weeks of guaranteed paid vacation... since JET is so ESID with that, I think it was nice that my other option had a solid plan as far as time-off goes. If you really want to get to Japan though, I think it's always nice to kno there are other ways. I know people who are out there on my backup plan company and they are seriously having the times of their lives.

Good luck, I'll be hoping for a quick upgrade for you (and everyone else!). You seem to have some really smart/exciting plans in the meantime, though, so good for you.

Ace
April 1st, 2015, 05:33
I didn't put off anything. I went full steam ahead ( I had already started my career before the interview ) I was cast in a musical that was set to start in two weeks before I was notified, I was auditioning for a band (and in the process of recording tracks).

I knew in the back of my mind that I could still get a call all the way through December, but I basically just gave up on the idea of JET. Sure enough, come December I get a call (5 minutes before one of my classes is going to start) asking me if I was still interested. I said yes, with the intention of being able to call back later and say never mind. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that it was impossible for me to turn it down. I would always look back and wonder "What would it have been like if I did do it?"

So I had to drop everything - and it sucked.
I am still pretty happy with my decision though.
I think it would be much worse to postpone your life for a chance to travel.
I guess what I'm saying is that if you still really want to do JET - do all of your paperwork. Then give up on it (unless you want to apply for the next year). But always know that a possibility of that call looms ... even in December. My arrival time turned out to be pretty awesome too.

Thanks dude. You and Johnny have definitely helped ease the pain. I will make sure that all my papers are in order in case something does happen and then I'm gonna throw it on the backburner after May.

Sherlock
April 1st, 2015, 08:01
Made a list of alternates from this thread in the first post to keep track of our statuses. Trying to make this a proper thread. My hope is that all or at least some of us will get that upgrade call!

^This sounds exactly like me right now

Ace
April 1st, 2015, 08:29
Made a list of alternates from this thread in the first post to keep track of our statuses. Trying to make this a proper thread. My hope is that all or at least some of us will get that upgrade call!

^This sounds exactly like me right now

Thanks man. BTW I am also a NYC consulate. I'm hoping to get everything in by Friday afternoon. I feel like one really big thing that will hurt me this year is that I don't have my drivers license yet. I was looking at some of last year's posts on alternates and this seems like a big factor for getting picked to like in the inaka. I have a learner's permit and it says on one of the emails I got, that if I were to get my license, I would have to have had it at least 3 months before leaving for Japan. I have a learners permit so I'm gonna shoot for getting the license now. At least if I apply for next year it couldn't hurt my chances of placement if anything.

Virgil
April 1st, 2015, 09:41
Pretty brutal what happened to the Houston applicants this year. I went through Houston last year. Really sucks to be told YES! and then have it turned around for a maybe. Either way, being an alternate isn't so bad. I got really lucky with the timing and placement, so could you. I would not trade it for a regular departure. Although, it would have been nice to leave things a bit cleaner back home...

MikeCarter
April 1st, 2015, 10:11
Thanks man. BTW I am also a NYC consulate. I'm hoping to get everything in by Friday afternoon. I feel like one really big thing that will hurt me this year is that I don't have my drivers license yet. I was looking at some of last year's posts on alternates and this seems like a big factor for getting picked to like in the inaka. I have a learner's permit and it says on one of the emails I got, that if I were to get my license, I would have to have had it at least 3 months before leaving for Japan. I have a learners permit so I'm gonna shoot for getting the license now. At least if I apply for next year it couldn't hurt my chances of placement if anything.

Americans only have 2 levels of drivers license? Lucky.

Canada has three - learners then another rank then full. I only have the second rank, so it doesn't transfer over. The kick in the nuts is that for all intensive purposes, the full rank and one before are exactly the same. My only limitations when driving are that I can't have as much alcohol in my system, and same random rule about no non-family members in my car between 1am and 5am or something. Sucks so much, cause I'm fully capable and willing to drive in Japan, but I can't say I am cause they won't accept the second tier license.

Ananasboat
April 1st, 2015, 10:31
Intents and purposes...

MikeCarter
April 1st, 2015, 10:41
Intents and purposes...

http://rainiernew.wpengine.com/yurts/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/01/The_more_you_know_banner.jpg

hiddenlee22
April 1st, 2015, 10:53
MC upgraded 25 alternates last year (i think)

chochang_hogwarts
April 2nd, 2015, 09:17
Sydney, Australia.
Alternate for CIR

Ananasboat
April 2nd, 2015, 09:38
Sydney, Australia.
Alternate for CIR

Don't lose hope! This year alone we had to replace two CIRs in my area for being absolute nut cases (one before she had even moved in). Another one is leaving right now. Would you still want to be an ALT if you got offered that position?

Virgil
April 2nd, 2015, 09:40
Can you get placed as an ALT when you are alternate for CIR? I never really thought about it.

chochang_hogwarts
April 2nd, 2015, 09:40
Thanks! I'm not sure, would need to consider it because my degree was in Japanese translation haha! Fingers crossed for everyone here though!

BifCarbet
April 2nd, 2015, 09:58
Local governments do occasionally look for CIR-like employees from overseas to hire directly. It's probably not THAT common, but check JETwit (http://jetwit.com/wordpress/category/jobs/) every so often, and you mind find a direct hire position to which you could apply as another option. I've seen them once or twice in the pas couple years.

Satori Shinobi
April 2nd, 2015, 11:22
I was upgraded on the third to last day possible in the second week of december, so placements do come in right up until the end.

Cbill1
April 2nd, 2015, 11:48
Can you get placed as an ALT when you are alternate for CIR? I never really thought about it.

If you mark that you'd also like to be considered for an ALT position on your initial application, you can.

That's actually what happened with one of the ALTs working in my town now; we had somebody drop out in September, and even though he was originally a CIR applicant he got upgraded to the ALT position. He arrived in early november, iirc.

miamicoordinator
April 2nd, 2015, 22:23
MC upgraded 25 alternates last year (i think)

Yes, last year I had about that many upgrades, but that was only because of an issue with the scoring sheet we sent to Tokyo. Last year, my original shortlist was only 9 people, 9! out of 56 people I interviewed. The problem was a miscommunication between us and Tokyo as to how candidates were supposed to be scored. When I saw we had such a low number, I immediately contacted Tokyo to find out what had happened. Once everything was figured outl they told me that they could not do anything except send us additional upgrades because shortlist numbers were already set in stone per consulate. So, thats exactly what happened, from May-December, I was able to upgrade a large number of people.

I do not know exactly how Tokyo determines who will be upgraded per consulate. I assume it has something to do with how big the consulates list of alternates is and such. For sure I will not be upgrading that many people this year. We have a large number of initial short listers this year, so that is good for alternates. More opportunities for people to drop out, or dislike their placement. We normally get the big upgrades waves in May and June because that is after placements are sent out.

miamicoordinator
April 2nd, 2015, 22:26

Only if they mark that they are willing to be an ALT alternate on their application, and if the panel thinks they will be a good ALT. There are some people who do not want to be an ALT at all, and it is either CIR or nothing. Others are more flexible. One important thing to note is that CIR->ALT alternates are upgraded later on because Tokyo waits to see if any CIRs pull out first.

Sherlock
April 3rd, 2015, 04:41
Well I've begun the process of getting my alternate paperwork together. Getting my prints taken on Saturday as the local offices can't accommodate my work schedule. Feels good to still be working to get into JET. Even if I'm not upgraded it feels good to not give up and keep working towards my goal.

I've scoured the internet for information on being a JET alternate. Found plenty of stories of people being upgraded online or posts by people who knew upgraded alternates. One thing I've found is that there are no statistics anywhere for past years of the # of alternates upgraded or not. Just got to stop trying to figure out the odds for upgrade and live in the present.

Good luck to my fellow alternates. Stay strong and get that paperwork done!

miamicoordinator
April 3rd, 2015, 04:59
I've scoured the internet for information on being a JET alternate. Found plenty of stories of people being upgraded online or posts by people who knew upgraded alternates. One thing I've found is that there are no statistics anywhere for past years of the # of alternates upgraded or not. Just got to stop trying to figure out the odds for upgrade and live in the present.

Stop right there! I will tell you right here and now that trying to figure out odd of being upgraded or not based on previous year's numbers is a lost cause.

The thing is, the number of upgrades is mostly influenced by the number of shortlisters who drop out. There are some who drop out in April because they have been offered other jobs, or graduate programs, or maybe they just arent as interested in JET as they were a few months back. Then there are those who drop out after hearing their placement information because they do not like where they were placed. Then you have those who have family emergencies, or other reasons that causes them to pull out last minute. The thing is, some years we may upgrade 50 people, some years we may upgrade 200. It all depends on the shortlisters.

Of course, there are upgrades that have nothing to do with shortlisters. For example, maybe some JETs in Japan originally stated they were going to recontract, and last minute bail on the BoE. The BoE would then contact clair and ask for a replacement. Since this happens in April-Aug often, we do get a fair number of these upgrades as well. There is absolutely no way to tell how many of these we will get though, that is the problem.

The best thing any alternate can do is keep submitting all of the required documentation on time so that if by chance you are upgraded, then you are ready to go when they need you. I have had to skip over upgrades before because they did not have certain items in, and other people did.

Best of luck!

AyaReiko
April 3rd, 2015, 08:33
Thank you for always being to helpful and informative!

Out of curiosity, do CIRs have much less of a chance of being upgraded, or is it pretty much the same?

AM_Hayes
April 3rd, 2015, 08:39
Yo! I haven't been following anything very well on here. A close friend of mine told me to get of my lazy butt and get on here. So, here I am! First post ever. Yeah... Not to impressive.
Anyway... I am an alternate for this year. Still have mixed feeling about it, as we all must. Just wanted to introduce myself to you cool kids. We are all in this together. Just feeling bogged down about having to wait to know if myself or any of us will get moved onto the short list.

manassah
April 3rd, 2015, 08:40
Just a question if anyone know. Does having a family come with you make it more likely to be made an alternate. I will happily be patient and wait, but as I think ahead to next year, should I assume it was the application (which I thought was strong), the interview (which felt like it went wonderfully) or is our family situation possibly a factor?

miamicoordinator
April 3rd, 2015, 08:46
Just a question if anyone know. Does having a family come with you make it more likely to be made an alternate. I will happily be patient and wait, but as I think ahead to next year, should I assume it was the application (which I thought was strong), the interview (which felt like it went wonderfully) or is our family situation possibly a factor?

Having family with you is not a factor when we recommend people. One of my shortlisters has a wife and 2 kids. He was scored exactly the same as everyone else.

WheN upgrades happen though, being single opposed ro accompanied is a factor. Usually COs will already have someone picked and they drop out, so they try to find someone similar. Single male, single female, etc.. Thats is only from May and on when tokyo starts giving us specific upgrade guidelines.

In the case of if having a family makes you more likely to be on the alternate list, no that is false.

Ananasboat
April 3rd, 2015, 08:47

Out of curiosity, do CIRs have much less of a chance of being upgraded, or is it pretty much the same?

I mentioned this the other day, but there was a CIR who got replaced before she even moved in because she turned out to be a maniac. But, their numbers are few, so it's less likely.

miamicoordinator
April 3rd, 2015, 08:50

To be brutally honest, since there are so few CIRs that are sent every year, the chances of a CIR upgrade are low. ALTs have a large pool of people that can drop out so upgrades are frequent. CIRs have a specific skillset, so they are less likely to drop out after being shortlisted. I did have one CIR upgrade last year(first ever in miami) and my other cir was upgraded as an alt.

singinglupines
April 3rd, 2015, 09:28
Very informative thread, thanks! Newbie here. Alternate from Nashville.

AyaReiko
April 3rd, 2015, 10:13
CIRs have a specific skillset, so they are less likely to drop out after being shortlisted.

Ah yes, the trouble of being like Liam Neeson. Don't worry, that's pretty much the answer I expected. Well, who knows!

Penguinonfire
April 3rd, 2015, 17:26
Checking in as an alternate from the Portland group. I held off on creating an account until results were released (for fear of jinxing myself), but here I am in limbo now. Hoping for the best but not really counting on it. I have a decent job that I sometimes despise, but I'd really like to be doing something (anything!) international.

Sherlock
April 4th, 2015, 01:19
Stop right there! I will tell you right here and now that trying to figure out odd of being upgraded or not based on previous year's numbers is a lost cause.

The thing is, the number of upgrades is mostly influenced by the number of shortlisters who drop out. There are some who drop out in April because they have been offered other jobs, or graduate programs, or maybe they just arent as interested in JET as they were a few months back. Then there are those who drop out after hearing their placement information because they do not like where they were placed. Then you have those who have family emergencies, or other reasons that causes them to pull out last minute. The thing is, some years we may upgrade 50 people, some years we may upgrade 200. It all depends on the shortlisters.

Of course, there are upgrades that have nothing to do with shortlisters. For example, maybe some JETs in Japan originally stated they were going to recontract, and last minute bail on the BoE. The BoE would then contact clair and ask for a replacement. Since this happens in April-Aug often, we do get a fair number of these upgrades as well. There is absolutely no way to tell how many of these we will get though, that is the problem.

The best thing any alternate can do is keep submitting all of the required documentation on time so that if by chance you are upgraded, then you are ready to go when they need you. I have had to skip over upgrades before because they did not have certain items in, and other people did.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice MC. Really appreciate you taking the time to post and give advice around here.

Also updated the first post list of alternates to include penguinonfire and singinglupines. Welcome you two and good luck!

Bdn197
April 4th, 2015, 01:52

Best of luck!

Chicago alternate here. Do we reduce our chances of getting in if we wait to submit our certificate of health until being upgraded?

dstin
April 4th, 2015, 07:12
Don't forget to add me as one of the Houstonites that got the wrong news....
<proceeds to drown sorrows in Pokemon and root beer>

Valkerion
April 4th, 2015, 08:03
ATL sent the alternate info 10mins before the end of the work week... as expected haha. Browsed through it a bit and seems like a ton of information to process at the end of the weekday, but going to grind away at it next week for sure and turn it in asap. Some of the stuff I was confused about (since alternates and shortlisters get the same info... but there are random spots where it says for alternates to hold off on stuff.)

Will probably see me here asking stupid questions for the next 2 weeks.

speaking of : The first set of things they ask for/ask to be checked are due the 17th for us. Are the things to be mailed all going in one packet? or separate? IE is my reply form, background application copy, IRS form, and passport copy thingy, all going at once since they are heading to the same place or is it like reply form, then a packet of the official (i swear im not putting this off!) papers.

Ananasboat
April 4th, 2015, 10:18
No, you can mail em all separately. But, if you can put any of the papers together that wouldn't hurt.

Aihra
April 4th, 2015, 15:20
Hi everyone.

A word of advice to alternates. Keep yourself busy, continue your passions, and just take time for yourself.
If you get called back, great!

If not and...
a)....have the will to continue to pursue JET, then go for it~ Perhaps build better case why JET needs you in up coming year.
or
b)....are tired of the whole process, there are more opportunities for happiness somewhere else.

I get it. Being in alternate limbo sucks. I myself was an alternate that was never call back last year. Thinking why you weren't good enough, wondering how "schmuck A" got in and you didn't, that pang of pain when you see your pics of peers talking about JET, repeating your interview in your head over and over, etc...

How did I get over it? I took a "screw it" attitude. I've thought of JET once in a while, but I kept busy with things that made me happy. I continued to pursue my passions in working with international youths in great organizations. Once JETS applications rolled around again, I applied as a much more experience and mature applicant.

In summary, take your alternate status and turn it into an opportunity to focus on more positive things in your life~

RainKing
April 4th, 2015, 23:07
To be brutally honest, since there are so few CIRs that are sent every year, the chances of a CIR upgrade are low. ALTs have a large pool of people that can drop out so upgrades are frequent. CIRs have a specific skillset, so they are less likely to drop out after being shortlisted. I did have one CIR upgrade last year(first ever in miami) and my other cir was upgraded as an alt.

Is there an upper limit to how many alternates can be decided upon each year? Obviously there's cap on the number of shortlisters due to demand and whether or not a replacement is needed, but is there a general rule like for 30 applicants to CIR, they'll take around 6-7 (seems to be the case in the UK) and from then on in a set number of Alternates? Just wondering if my Alternate status is just par for the course and the other 23 people got it too, or if there's only a couple of us and the rest got outright rejected.

Basically is there a set number of Alternates for every however many shortlisters or is it done on a case by case basis, and if so, how?

miamicoordinator
April 4th, 2015, 23:14
Is there an upper limit to how many alternates can be decided upon each year? Obviously there's cap on the number of shortlisters due to demand and whether or not a replacement is needed, but is there a general rule like for 30 applicants to CIR, they'll take around 6-7 (seems to be the case in the UK) and from then on in a set number of Alternates? Just wondering if my Alternate status is just par for the course and the other 23 people got it too, or if there's only a couple of us and the rest got outright rejected.

Basically is there a set number of Alternates for every however many shortlisters or is it done on a case by case basis, and if so, how?

Alternates for both CIRs and ALTs are upgraded based on need. There is no soft cap. If 30 cir shortlisters drop out, they will upgrade 30 cir alternates. If 6-7 people are usually upgraded in the uk, that just means thats how many of them declined/COs needed more cirs after the initial deadline.

RainKing
April 4th, 2015, 23:35
Alternates for both CIRs and ALTs are upgraded based on need. There is no soft cap. If 30 cir shortlisters drop out, they will upgrade 30 cir alternates. If 6-7 people are usually upgraded in the uk, that just means thats how many of them declined/COs needed more cirs after the initial deadline.

What I meant was they usually take on 6-7 shortlisted CIRs straight off the bat. ON TOP OF THAT, there's a certain number of Alternate CIRs (the number of which I don't know and I'm not sure I have any way of knowing).

miamicoordinator
April 4th, 2015, 23:49
What I meant was they usually take on 6-7 shortlisted CIRs straight off the bat. ON TOP OF THAT, there's a certain number of Alternate CIRs (the number of which I don't know and I'm not sure I have any way of knowing).

The number of alternates (both cir and alt) depends solely on how many people the consulate or embassy recommend. if the panel feels that all of the people who applied as a cir have the necessary skills, they will recommend them all. They dont sit around and say "well, we only have space for 4 alternates." Either you pass your interview, or you fail it. Your score will determine how far up the recommendation list you are.

we always need to have a healthy number of alternates available in just shortlisters bail. Of course every year we have extra alternates, but tokyo prefers that opposed to running out of alternates and leaving COs without alts or cirs.

RainKing
April 4th, 2015, 23:54
The number of alternates (both cir and alt) depends solely on how many people the consulate or embassy recommend. if the panel feels that all of the people who applied as a cir have the necessary skills, they will recommend them all. They dont sit around and say "well, we only have space for 4 alternates." Either you pass your interview, or you fail it. Your score will determine how far up the recommendation list you are.

we always need to have a healthy number of alternates available in just shortlisters bail. Of course every year we have extra alternates, but tokyo prefers that opposed to running out of alternates and leaving COs without alts or cirs.

Fair enough, thanks for the reply!

quis
April 5th, 2015, 01:31

Oh, wow. I didn't think it was like that. I don't know why but I imagined that each Consulate conducted the interviews with some kind of quota in mind. Good to know.

manassah
April 7th, 2015, 02:12
Did anyone give a call or email to ask how high or low they were on the list? Is it seen as impatient or rude? Or is it acceptable?

Zolrak 22
April 7th, 2015, 02:30
Or is it acceptable?
It is not.

The list fluctuates, so it's impossible to tell when your number is gonna be up. You'll just end up (/$7+ing off your Coordinator.

You could be #1 on the list, but because of certain factors like what the BoE are looking for in a teacher, you might be skipped several number of times.

(For example, say they are looking for a female with license, and the top 20 said they wouldn't drive.

They aren't gonna give hope to the 20 if every BoE that asks for a replacement is looking for female, in her 20s with license and maybe medium Japanese fluency)

So there's really no point in asking for your position. You'll just be antagonizing by doing so. As every replacement is subjective to the requirements imposed by those hiring from Japan. Heck, the longer it takes to get an alternate, the pickier they get.

miamicoordinator
April 7th, 2015, 02:38
Did anyone give a call or email to ask how high or low they were on the list? Is it seen as impatient or rude? Or is it acceptable?

Zolrak is 100% correct in his explanation.

Also, we refrain from giving exact spots on the alternate list because in the long run, it means very little. Sure, you could be the next person on the list, so you get your hopes up and wait for an upgrade, and that it may never come.

Sherlock
April 7th, 2015, 04:21
Got my finger prints and background check stuff done finally! Now I just have to send in the copy to the JET Program Office.

I'm finding that now that a new week has started that I've kind of mentally "moved on" in regards to the JET Program. I still want to get shortlisted and go to Japan. I'm 100% certain I'd quit my current job if I get shortlisted. It's just that I basically feel like since I wasn't shortlisted I was essentially rejected. Yes I know that there's a chance I will get upgraded but it feels like a long shot since I have no clue whats going on in the JET offices. So I'm proceeding under the assumption I didn't get in.

On the plus side I'm not feeling sad or frustrated anymore like I was last week. I still plan on applying next year. Just seems a ways off till the cycle begins again. So basically I'm feeling good!

Valkerion
April 7th, 2015, 05:27
Random question #2. On the reply form in the first box it asks name and what not, but for place of birth we just put like USA right? just wondering cause it says "As it appears on passport" and the passport puts your birth state then USA, but there is not enough spaces for that to appear clearly. I put USA but want to be sure before I send this stuff out tomorrow.

Also realizing my email does not fit on the reply page either... it might when I print it but dont think so. Trying to use the same one for all my JET stuff... might need to change it or just write it out as legible as possible without instead of typing. Is that bad or good lol ?

hiddenlee22
April 7th, 2015, 06:27
Random question #2. On the reply form in the first box it asks name and what not, but for place of birth we just put like USA right? just wondering cause it says "As it appears on passport" and the passport puts your birth state then USA, but there is not enough spaces for that to appear clearly. I put USA but want to be sure before I send this stuff out tomorrow.

Well I f'd that up. I put my hometown and state. Another reason not to be shortlisted lol

Would calling and annoying them be wise to fix this, anybody?

ambrosse
April 7th, 2015, 06:48
Well I f'd that up. I put my hometown and state. Another reason not to be shortlisted lol

Don't panic. Weepinbell and I made the same mistake along with one other Chicago person. Our coordinator told us they'll take it as is, but he'll have to hate us for the next 17 years and 6 months, looool.

hiddenlee22
April 7th, 2015, 06:58
Don't panic. Weepinbell and I made the same mistake along with one other Chicago person. Our coordinator told us they'll take it as is, but he'll have to hate us for the next 17 years and 6 months, looool.

That made me feel better, but I'm still somewhat afraid. I didn't want to give them any reason to not upgrade me (not that it really matters) and that seems like such a silly reason.

Valkerion
April 7th, 2015, 07:14

It's probably fine... I hope. Just wondering cause there, and on the email part they give a laughable small text box before it gets cut off compared to their large font coded to the PDF. Just wanted to double check.Probably going to print myself out a new one with only the drop box stuff cause there are seriously not enough spaces. Same issue with the application. Would be perfectly fine if this was electronically submitted but it aint :/

singinglupines
April 7th, 2015, 08:52
Oops, totally didn't do that right either. At least I put city/country because I was born abroad.

singinglupines
April 7th, 2015, 08:55
Got my finger prints and background check stuff done finally! Now I just have to send in the copy to the JET Program Office.

I'm finding that now that a new week has started that I've kind of mentally "moved on" in regards to the JET Program. I still want to get shortlisted and go to Japan. I'm 100% certain I'd quit my current job if I get shortlisted. It's just that I basically feel like since I wasn't shortlisted I was essentially rejected. Yes I know that there's a chance I will get upgraded but it feels like a long shot since I have no clue whats going on in the JET offices. So I'm proceeding under the assumption I didn't get in.

On the plus side I'm not feeling sad or frustrated anymore like I was last week. I still plan on applying next year. Just seems a ways off till the cycle begins again. So basically I'm feeling good!

Same! A new week is working wonders and now that my paperwork is off, I can stop thinking about it all the time.

Started looking at preschool/kindergarten English jobs in Japan so I know my backup plan is looking okay.

simplesam
April 7th, 2015, 11:17
One of the Houston people who went from Shortlist to Alternate here. For everyone who's curious, we got a phone call and an email about the correction the next day after the mistake.

The news of the whole thing is particularly hard on me. One year post graduation (with a science degree, nonetheless), JET was the only job prospect I've had. People keep telling me to just "keep going on with your life," but when your life has been months of filling out job applications with no response, it's kinda hard to do just that. All I can do is keep optimistic that something will come up. I guess more time to work on my music...

moonbeam
April 7th, 2015, 12:31

I put that too because it's on my passport so I thought that's what they meant.

Virgil
April 7th, 2015, 14:13
People keep telling me to just "keep going on with your life," but when your life has been months of filling out job applications with no response, it's kinda hard to do just that. All I can do is keep optimistic that something will come up. I guess more time to work on my music...

Welcome to being a young college graduate. It's not a unique situation, and can be agonizing. You can't let it weigh on you mentally or it will only make it more difficult to find a job. Network, network, NETWORK. I think every job I have ever had is because I meet new people and talk to them.

moonbeam
April 8th, 2015, 01:24
I just got the upgrade call--shortlisted through DC! I'm so excited, I can't quite believe it.

weepinbell
April 8th, 2015, 01:30
I just got the upgrade call--shortlisted through DC! I'm so excited, I can't quite believe it.

Yes!! So happy for you, congrats!!!

Welcome to being a young college graduate. It's not a unique situation, and can be agonizing. You can't let it weigh on you mentally or it will only make it more difficult to find a job. Network, network, NETWORK. I think every job I have ever had is because I meet new people and talk to them.

Yeah to comment on this real quick, I started looking for jobs in February before I graduated and didn't get one until June... had like 6 interviews, and got 3 job offers. And then once I got this job, I started hearing back from companies I'd applied for literally 3-4 months earlier... it's a long, grueling process. I'm really glad I started so early before I graduated. I didn't network though, I just used Indeed. I was only applying for super standard entry-level stuff, though. :p

BifCarbet
April 8th, 2015, 01:32

Woot. That was quick.

gibbity
April 8th, 2015, 01:32
grats Moonbeam!

simplesam
April 8th, 2015, 01:34

Wow, so quick!? There may be hope for the rest of us yet!

When did you submit your reply form?

hiddenlee22
April 8th, 2015, 01:48

There's hope for the rest of us! Congrats moonbeam!!

moonbeam
April 8th, 2015, 01:49
Wow, so quick!? There may be hope for the rest of us yet!

When did you submit your reply form?

I mailed it last Wednesday.

Thanks everyone!

singinglupines
April 8th, 2015, 04:06
Wow! So quick! Congrats! :)
I mailed mine stuff in today.

SailorZorro
April 8th, 2015, 05:35
Yay for you! I'm super excited. (Plus keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of us)

Valkerion
April 8th, 2015, 06:25

Wow grats, did not even get my email info til Friday but glad to see they are trying to be quick about it. Will send mine ASAP.

Oh and JET Atlanta finally answered my dang question (end of the work day... again) you can just put your birth state/town it seems instead of blah blah blah - USA or w/e.

Ace
April 8th, 2015, 07:25
And now every unknown phone number that calls my cell phone will make my heart skip a beat....

simplesam
April 8th, 2015, 07:56
And now every unknown phone number that calls my cell phone will make my heart skip a beat....

I guess the good thing about being from the Houston fiasco crew is that since the consulate called us already, we were able to save the phone number, lol.

On a side note, how did everyone get their passport photos done? I know you can do it at a Walgreens, but I've heard you can use apps to take the photos at home and get them printed for 40¢ each?

ambrosse
April 8th, 2015, 08:01
I guess the good thing about being from the Houston fiasco crew is that since the consulate called us already, we were able to save the phone number, lol.

On a side note, how did everyone get their passport photos done? I know you can do it at a Walgreens, but I've heard you can use apps to take the photos at home and get them printed for 40¢ each?

If you're a AAA member, you can get a couple for free.

mermaidcrane
April 8th, 2015, 08:37
Congratulations moonbeam! I'm in the UK so I know everything runs a few days behind the US (I got my Alternate offer on Saturday 4th). I've been staying with family over Easter and - expecting either flat-out rejection or acceptance - stupidly don't have my passport to photocopy. This means the earlier my forms will get back to the embassy is Friday morning. The UK reply deadline is the 22nd, but since US Alternates are being upgraded already does that mean upgrades get allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis regardless of positions on the upgrade list? This is my first post on the forum so thanks in advance!

moonbeam
April 8th, 2015, 09:15
I have no idea how upgrades are decided this early, mermaid, but perhaps Miami or the other coordinator knows?

I got my passport photos done at CVS and got 4 copies just in case.

And as for the unknown number calling me--I know what DC's area code is so once I saw the number I just knew, haha. Hang in there everyone! I got alternate twice and survived and I really hope you guys get to skip Alternate Round 2 and go straight to shortlist.

greyjoy
April 8th, 2015, 10:01
If you're a AAA member, you can get a couple for free.
People are always saying this, and it makes me wonder if everyone is shelling out $300 a year for some platinum membership that brings almost no notable benefits over regular membership aside from a few free passport photos.

What I mean is, it's not necessarily true. It might depend on region, and it definitely depends on membership level.

For the record, I took the pictures myself and printed them out for twenty cents at cvs.

The UK reply deadline is the 22nd, but since US Alternates are being upgraded already does that mean upgrades get allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis regardless of positions on the upgrade list? This is my first post on the forum so thanks in advance!
According to our resident US coordinators, I believe the first round of upgrades(that is, people declining immediately before placement) all come from the same embassy. So moonbeam got a spot that was declined by a DC short lister, not a NY one or a South African one. So rest somewhat easier about that.

MikeCarter
April 8th, 2015, 10:13
One of the Houston people who went from Shortlist to Alternate here. For everyone who's curious, we got a phone call and an email about the correction the next day after the mistake.

The news of the whole thing is particularly hard on me. One year post graduation (with a science degree, nonetheless), JET was the only job prospect I've had. People keep telling me to just "keep going on with your life," but when your life has been months of filling out job applications with no response, it's kinda hard to do just that. All I can do is keep optimistic that something will come up. I guess more time to work on my music...

In the exact same boat (comp science graduate of last year here), except I got rejected by JET instead of put as an alternate . I sort of had tunnel vision in that I thought getting into JET was all there was I could achieve at this point (which made the rejection even more crushing, especially given the odds of getting in).

But after it happens you are kind of forced to step back and be like "well that sucks, but it's not like everything is over". I reflected on the interview and think I understand (but still don't agree with) the rejection. I have a plan for next time (should I choose to reapply), and at the end of the day, it's not like I lost anything. JET will still be there next year. This aspect is probably even harder for you though, because up until like December the chance is still there.

Personally I'd recommend you assume you don't get in, take a good hard look at your interview, see where you could improve yourself, and keep applying to jobs (maybe look into low level placements just to pass the time and get money). Remember that being an alternate means you passed the interview, you just weren't as good as others as far as experience/skills goes. They think you're ready for Japan, just not as qualified as some others.

Yeah to comment on this real quick, I started looking for jobs in February before I graduated and didn't get one until June... had like 6 interviews, and got 3 job offers. And then once I got this job, I started hearing back from companies I'd applied for literally 3-4 months earlier... it's a long, grueling process. I'm really glad I started so early before I graduated. I didn't network though, I just used Indeed. I was only applying for super standard entry-level stuff, though. :p

Honestly sounds like you had a really easy time tbh. You only were out of school/work for about two months, and you even had multiple job offers. Compared to people like Sam and I, your efforts hardly seem like a struggle or demotivating.

simplesam
April 8th, 2015, 10:50
Honestly sounds like you had a really easy time tbh. You only were out of school/work for about two months, and you even had multiple job offers. Compared to people like Sam and I, your efforts hardly seem like a struggle or demotivating.

Gosh, I'm sorry for being such a Debbie Downer. I didn't mean to bum everyone out. I think I was just venting my frustration. Being Hispanic and the first in my family to graduate college, there's a lot of pressure from the family to have this immaculate life pretty much right after college. It's hard to explain to them that's not how it works, especially in the sciences.

I've applied to a bunch of entry level jobs, but no such luck. I even applied for some positions that were basically janitorial lab technicians. Apparently being Mexican doesn't automatically qualify me to clean floors and glassware, lol. 😝

singinglupines
April 8th, 2015, 11:04

I did them myself with a tripod and camera. Also printed them on our printer with photo paper, but you can easily print one photo at Walmart for like 20 cents.

MaxLC
April 8th, 2015, 12:05
Just got my results from Wellington NZ and I am on the alternate list. Good luck to everyone else in limbo

Zolrak 22
April 8th, 2015, 15:10
Sam, are you sure we are not related?

Eluding the whole first to graduate and Mexican, we are pretty spot on.

webstaa
April 8th, 2015, 15:31
As far as AAA goes, it's a waste of money until you need it. Like insurance.

But when your driveshaft decides its had enough and does its best impression of a noodle 20 miles from the nearest shop, you'll be happy you paid for it in advance rather than deal with finding a tow in the middle of nowhere. And some of the discounts and other perks can help too. $15 here and $50 there - if you do a lot of traveling, you can save a lot. But it depends on how much you use the services and discounts...

mermaidcrane
April 8th, 2015, 16:39
According to our resident US coordinators, I believe the first round of upgrades(that is, people declining immediately before placement) all come from the same embassy. So moonbeam got a spot that was declined by a DC short lister, not a NY one or a South African one. So rest somewhat easier about that.

Thanks Greyjoy, that's good to know. I guess there will be plenty of short listers declining AFTER my paperwork has arrived as well, so hopefully my chances will remain roughly the same, whatever they may be...

Like someone said before, it's hard to imagine anyone turning down a shortlist place since everyone here is so passionate about going. I'm hoping that some of the candidates who spoke Japanese and have lived and worked there before will have applied to other jobs beside JET, and turn it down for a better job offer.

Good luck to all my fellow alternates around the world!

OtherPulse
April 8th, 2015, 20:07
Alternate from the UK here. Was a bit down at first, but reading about past experiences of upgrades cheered me up a bit.

Does anyone in the UK know if we need both the Subject Access Request and the ICPC? Or just the ICPC?

Edit: Just called the desk, we only need the ICPC.

simplesam
April 8th, 2015, 20:36

But when your driveshaft decides its had enough and does its best impression of a noodle 20 miles from the nearest shop, you'll be happy you paid for it in advance rather than deal with finding a tow in the middle of nowhere. And some of the discounts and other perks can help too. $15 here and $50 there - if you do a lot of traveling, you can save a lot. But it depends on how much you use the services and discounts...

AAA is just one of those luxurious that people can't afford where I'm from. It's a good thing that half my family and friends are mechanics, lol. South Texas doesn't always have things like central air, indoor plumbing, and paved roads, but we definitely don't have a shortage of mechanics and farmers. You ever get stranded, your not more than a five minute walk from a hot meal and someone that can fix your truck. Gotta love Southern/Hispanic hospitality. :D

Oh, and Zolrak, as far as some people are concerned, Puertorriqueño might as well be Mexicano. It happens ALL the time to my Tío, and he lives in Houston where there is DEFINITELY enough variation in the Hispanic population that people should know better. Bienvenido a América! :P

ambrosse
April 8th, 2015, 21:40

Word.
Getting a free tow when you really need it helps a ton. Also AAA members get discounts in so many things! When I went to Chicago for my interview, I got at least $40 off my hotel room per night.

singinglupines
April 8th, 2015, 23:37
We had AAA for years with our old cars that broke down all the time. Definitely got good use out of the discounts too!

Sherlock
April 9th, 2015, 01:44
Congrats moonbeam! Glad to see one of us has already got in. Especially since you'd been an alternate twice before this year. Also glad a fellow ITIL member got the upgrae spot. They'll probably take your placement requests into account as well. Will update the master post list with you as UPGRADED!

Since we were both DC alternates your upgrade made me wish I'd sent my reply documents faster. If they're only upgrading people with their reply forms already in DC I might miss out on the initial upgrade window since I used the post office snail mail to send my reply form in......... doh. I thought they were going to wait to upgrade till 4/20 when the reply form was due.

Ace
April 9th, 2015, 01:56
Since we were both DC alternates your upgrade made me wish I'd sent my reply documents faster. If they're only upgrading people with their reply forms already in DC I might miss out on the initial upgrade window since I used the post office snail mail to send my reply form in......... doh. I thought they were going to wait to upgrade till 4/20 when the reply form was due.

This scared me too and instead of mailing it in, I went to the consulate to turn it in this morning.

SailorZorro
April 9th, 2015, 02:18
Wait, you all think that getting your forms back sooner affect how likely you are to be upgraded? I didn't think that was how it worked, although I'm glad mine are already in and processed. I must admit tho, my heart jumped when I saw the JET email. It was just telling me my paperwork had been processed.

Ace
April 9th, 2015, 02:24
Wait, you all think that getting your forms back sooner affect how likely you are to be upgraded? I didn't think that was how it worked, although I'm glad mine are already in and processed. I must admit tho, my heart jumped when I saw the JET email. It was just telling me my paperwork had been processed.

No...but it doesn't hurt to just get it over and done with.

gibbity
April 9th, 2015, 02:32

well. now im anxious again... i sent my stuff in and it got there monday. I havent gotten an email saying they processed it yet... yarg.

miamicoordinator
April 9th, 2015, 02:35
If they're only upgrading people with their reply forms already in DC I might miss out on the initial upgrade window since I used the post office snail mail to send my reply form in......... doh. I thought they were going to wait to upgrade till 4/20 when the reply form was due.

I can confirm that upgrades DO NOT work this way. THose who get their paperwork in faster do not have a higher chance of being upgraded. If you let the deadline pass however, that is another story.

OtherPulse
April 9th, 2015, 02:37
MC, you'll be canonized one day.

Always here to dispel rumours and give hope.

ambrosse
April 9th, 2015, 02:39
well. now im anxious again... i sent my stuff in and it got there monday. I havent gotten an email saying they processed it yet... yarg.

Same here, gibs. Which consulate did you apply through again?

gibbity
April 9th, 2015, 02:42
Same here, gibs. Which consulate did you apply through again?

Trying to find my true face, eh?!?! im not falling for THAT!

Im through Chicago though.

miamicoordinator
April 9th, 2015, 02:45

If it makes you feel better gibbity, I do not send people a confirmation when I receive their documents unless they specifically ask me to. I am unsure if Chicago does or not. They have a huge number of people to deal with.

ambrosse
April 9th, 2015, 02:46
Trying to find my true face, eh?!?! im not falling for THAT!

Im through Chicago though.

Hehe >D
Maybe.

Someone asked a similar questions on the Chicago JET FB dealio, but it was more so for notification that it arrived, not that it had been processed. In the end, the answer was that we'd be notified if anything is missing or isn't included before the deadline.

gibbity
April 9th, 2015, 02:55
If it makes you feel better gibbity, I do not send people a confirmation when I receive their documents unless they specifically ask me to. I am unsure if Chicago does or not. They have a huge number of people to deal with.

Yeah, if i get super antsy, i will just ask in our Facebook group or send them a quick private message. Not huge. Thanks for the reassurance though MC, you still da bomb.

And thanks Ambrosse, i hadnt seen that posted. I kinda stopped reading the questions and stuff for the most part cuz they were all having to do with background checks.... lost my attention.

weepinbell
April 9th, 2015, 05:12
Ambrosse, gibbity y'all suck. Mine has been in transit for over 3 days and I'm literally 30min outside the city... USPS told me it shouldn't be taking that long, so they put in a report, but if it doesn't get there by tomorrow, I'll probably email the coordinator to ask if maybe they've gotten it and the tracking is just being stupid. If not, I guess I'll wait a little longer before hand-delivering it...

Ps MC, do you happen to have any idea if the FBI is a PO box...? I don't know who else to ask... I know it doesn't say PO box anywhere on the address, but my stuff has been sitting in the post office in Clarksburg since Monday. The USPS said it's probably because someone comes and picks it up every so often, but I'm getting paranoid it's going to be stuck in post office limbo because it's certified and they can't find anyone at the FBI to sign off on it or something. :/

So paranoid about all this! Come on USPS!

ambrosse
April 9th, 2015, 05:17
Hey, you know I already had my issues with stuff getting to the consulate :P
It says it was delivered although "In Transit, Delayed" -shrug-
I think Chicago just likes to see us suffer -sigh-

gibbity
April 9th, 2015, 05:42
Ambrosse, gibbity y'all suck. Mine has been in transit for over 3 days and I'm literally 30min outside the city... USPS told me it shouldn't be taking that long, so they put in a report, but if it doesn't get there by tomorrow, I'll probably email the coordinator to ask if maybe they've gotten it and the tracking is just being stupid. If not, I guess I'll wait a little longer before hand-delivering it...

Ps MC, do you happen to have any idea if the FBI is a PO box...? I don't know who else to ask... I know it doesn't say PO box anywhere on the address, but my stuff has been sitting in the post office in Clarksburg since Monday. The USPS said it's probably because someone comes and picks it up every so often, but I'm getting paranoid it's going to be stuck in post office limbo because it's certified and they can't find anyone at the FBI to sign off on it or something. :/

It would seem you have severly pissed off the Mail Room Gods. Thats a sacrifice of at least 3 turtles covered in cheetahs blood to get back on their good side.

weepinbell
April 9th, 2015, 05:48
> : (((

Ace
April 9th, 2015, 05:55
Best to make sure those kids in that Chicago mailroom aren't alternates on this forum as well.......

weepinbell
April 9th, 2015, 05:59
Best to make sure those kids in that Chicago mailroom aren't alternates on this forum as well.......

Haha noo! I'm seriously so confused about it though - it took a day for my FBI stuff to get the Virginia post office! What is going on with the Chicago postal service?!

gibbity
April 9th, 2015, 06:01

LOL

miamicoordinator
April 9th, 2015, 06:15

As far as I know, it is not a P.O. Box, just a regular address. I can imagine the amount of mail they get a day, and I am sure they have a huge mail room. They are so back logged at the FBI Office, it wouldnt surprise me if they were purposely not picking up the mail and just letting it accumulate.

I will tell you this about certified mail with situations like this. Its a sham. You heard right. Even if you get a signature on there it would mean nothing. First off, you cant even read the signatures on the little green papers 1/2 the time anyway. And the FBI will just say "Well, someone signed for it, but we still can't find it. Its lost." Same thing happens all the time with mail. Even if you get tracking, signature confirmation, things get lost, and the post office will just absolve themselves from responsibility. At this point, anything turned into the FBI is most likely not going to be processed in time for the deadline because of the backlog. Just send it off, and await further instruction from your coordinator as we approach departure dates. I am sure we will end up having everyone get State background checks if the FBI dont come in on time.

weepinbell
April 9th, 2015, 06:29
As far as I know, it is not a P.O. Box, just a regular address. I can imagine the amount of mail they get a day, and I am sure they have a huge mail room. They are so back logged at the FBI Office, it wouldnt surprise me if they were purposely not picking up the mail and just letting it accumulate.

I will tell you this about certified mail with situations like this. Its a sham. You heard right. Even if you get a signature on there it would mean nothing. First off, you cant even read the signatures on the little green papers 1/2 the time anyway. And the FBI will just say "Well, someone signed for it, but we still can't find it. Its lost." Same thing happens all the time with mail. Even if you get tracking, signature confirmation, things get lost, and the post office will just absolve themselves from responsibility. At this point, anything turned into the FBI is most likely not going to be processed in time for the deadline because of the backlog. Just send it off, and await further instruction from your coordinator as we approach departure dates. I am sure we will end up having everyone get State background checks if the FBI dont come in on time.

Thanks MC. I'm so mad I let the lady talk me into certified! I was just gonna send it priority without sig... I keep telling the USPS it needs to be mailed directly to the address, but they seriously do not believe me. I've talked to them twice. :/ Maybe I just need to bug them into scheduling a redelivery ASAP. I seriously don't even WANT the damn signature, that's what frustrates me. I just wanted tracking. So it wouldn't even be worth it to send a second one non-certified then if this one stays stuck in post office hell? I'm emailing my coordinator tomorrow about if the reply form is still MIA, so I'll bring this up, too, but like you're saying, there's a slim chance the one I already sent will be processed even if it does make it there... what a mess.

This is the last time I trust USPS, dang!! Should have just hand-delivered the reply form from the start!

moonbeam
April 10th, 2015, 08:21
If they're only upgrading people with their reply forms already in DC I might miss out on the initial upgrade window since I used the post office snail mail to send my reply form in......... doh. I thought they were going to wait to upgrade till 4/20 when the reply form was due.

I doubt it. They sent me an email later in the day with a new reply form and told me to still mail my alternate reply form. So either they hadn't gotten the one I already sent, or it just doesn't matter.

Edit: Just saw Miami's post about this.

AngeSim12
April 10th, 2015, 23:11
I cannot quite remember where I have and have not posted, so if I have posted here already, I'm sorry.
I got my Interview Result (Alternate) on April 2nd. I interviewed in Canada, in Montreal.

singinglupines
April 11th, 2015, 00:54
Got an email from the consulate confirming that they got my stuff today. That was nice. Mailed stuff on Monday via a regular old post box.

cassual
April 14th, 2015, 07:56
I've decided to stop lurking and finally register. Alternate from NYC. I hope upgrades are generous this year.

Question: Is it wise to send the Certification of Health even before upgrade notice?

I mean, I guess they wouldn't consider it since they note that it isn't "necessary" to complete at this time, but I've had mine completed for a few months since I originally intended to apply for early departure. I sent in my FBI background check, but I wasn't sure whether I had to do the lung x-ray or not (I haven't really looked at the Certification of Health form attached with the Alternate email, but it does look different from the one in the initial application). Ahh, whatever. I guess I'll just wait to see if I get upgraded or not. I'm just eager to increase my chances, but I doubt it plays a significant role at this point in the game.

Good luck to everyone!!

Jwang
April 14th, 2015, 09:10
I would wait if I were you as there is less chance of things getting lost in administration hell if you only send in forms at the appropriate time. The chest x-ray is not a requirement if your physician will sign off on you being healthy and deems it unnecessary.

moonbeam
April 14th, 2015, 09:18
The chest x-ray is not a requirement if your physician will sign off on you being healthy and deems it unnecessary.

Hmm? The form says the candidate must submit either an x-ray or blood test.

ambrosse
April 14th, 2015, 09:19
The chest x-ray is not a requirement if your physician will sign off on you being healthy and deems it unnecessary.

Hmm...be careful with that. Chicago requires a TB test or chest x-ray otherwise the paperwork is not complete and will be rejected until it's complete.

weepinbell
April 14th, 2015, 09:27
The chest x-ray is only unnecessary if you get a TB test. Both are testing for the same thing. Ya gotta do one or the other.

Fantasylife
April 14th, 2015, 09:45
Seems like the TB test would be easier to get than the chest x-ray. I'm having mines done tomorrow.

ShareBear
April 14th, 2015, 09:52
Hiya everyone. I also have decided to stop lurking and to join so I can commiserate with you all (although apparently I signed up for this forum a long time ago and forgot about it O_O). I am an alternate from Detroit.

weepinbell
April 14th, 2015, 10:07
Seems like the TB test would be easier to get than the chest x-ray. I'm having mines done tomorrow.

Technically it is, but I did the x-ray because I'm a big baby who hates getting my blood drawn. :P

I live right by a diagnostic center anyway though haha.

singinglupines
April 14th, 2015, 10:59
TB is a skin test, no blood drawn necessary. I've had it done before because of much traveling. No blood drawing for me either, ick! Also not into unecessary radiation.

em7
April 14th, 2015, 11:07
Hi everyone! I have also decided to stop lurking around.:redface:

I just thought of something for those who are taking the TB test. If you were born outside of the U.S. or Canada, you may be tested positive. (There are countries that give TB vaccines to babies). In this case, it does not mean you have tuberculosis, but means your body has a tiny amount of the antibody. The TB test just isn't enough to distinguish it from real tuberculosis.

You'd save time by directly having the X-ray done : )

ambrosse
April 14th, 2015, 11:08
You can take a blood TB test which is actually more accurate and less time-consuming than the skin test :)

weepinbell
April 14th, 2015, 11:09
I did not know that! I needed to get one anyways for other doctor-y stuff, but honestly chest x-rays are nothing... we get literally more than 10x the radiation naturally in a year lol. CT scans are what you need to worry about...

weepinbell
April 14th, 2015, 11:11
OH WAIT, yes I do. I hate the tb skin test. That's the one with the bubble right? No no no haha.

Perilwink
April 14th, 2015, 11:25
OH WAIT, yes I do. I hate the tb skin test. That's the one with the bubble right? No no no haha.
Oh god oh god what? What am I getting myself into? I have mine scheduled in two weeks. D:

Fantasylife
April 14th, 2015, 11:27

I don't know which one i'm getting tomorrow. Hell, I didn't even know exactly what the skin test involved. I naively thought it was some sort of skin swab or something. *sigh* Both of these tests sound equally annoying. Maybe I should've done the x-ray after all ... =/

weepinbell
April 14th, 2015, 11:39
Lol they take a needle under your skin to form this bubble and then they check to see how the skin reacts the next day or two (if the bubble is hard I think it's tb?). So the skin test is a 2 day process anyway.

I have a weird thing with needles, though. Shots are fine, IVs/blood draws/any needle going UNDERNEATH my skin freaks me out. Unless you have a weird fear like me, you'll be okay.

greyjoy
April 14th, 2015, 11:54
Question: Is it wise to send the Certification of Health even before upgrade notice?

Send it in now. Get it out of the way, then maybe you won't have to worry about it later. But be aware that you might need another one later. I think they want one that's been done within six months of departure, though maybe that's different for early departure applicants. But there's no reason to hang on to it if all your other paperwork is filed.

ShareBear
April 14th, 2015, 20:58
I didn't even get a Certificate of Health form attached to my e-mail o.o. What all am I suppose to do?

ambrosse
April 14th, 2015, 21:35
I didn't even get a Certificate of Health form attached to my e-mail o.o. What all am I suppose to do?

Depending on which country and consulate you are, it might be that they want you to wait before filling it out.
Contact your consulate in some way and ask if they'd like Alternates to fill out the certificate of health form.
I know Chicago told alternates to wait.

singinglupines
April 14th, 2015, 21:59
I am terrified of needles, any kind, and can handle the bubble test. Each to their own, haha.

I was born abroad and didn't test positive. Interesting to know that about the vaccine.

My form wasn't attached in the email, but in a group documents folder. They told us by June 5th to have it returned in Nashville.

Kaguya
April 15th, 2015, 08:11
Hey everyone, I'm an alternate from DC and new to this thread.

Valkerion
April 15th, 2015, 08:19
ATL said wait on medical and irs stuff as well until upgraded. Also my reply form and what not arrived Monday yay. Hopefully they send out an email saying " hey we got it, don't call us you stalker" because I always get worried that places won't receive my junk for whatever reason.

The notice at the top of the site though completely reminded me to get a license this month though. Ugh now I gotta find someone to let me bum their car for a morning and get this over with. Should have done it before April (mine and brothers birthdays next week) since its chaos in this family. Oh well gotta force it on people to try and knock this out asap.... wonder what the actual test is like these days/how much time I have lol.

ShareBear
April 15th, 2015, 08:25
I sent my stuff out last week by UPS and they got it the next day. I have been checking my email constantly just to get a confirmation email XD

Kaguya
April 15th, 2015, 08:27
Hi everyone! I just started following this thread. I'm an alternate from DC.

ambrosse
April 15th, 2015, 08:32
If you're from a large consulate, you probably won't get a confirmation email.
Chicago did not send out confirmation emails whatsoever, though one of the coordinators agreed to look for you if you asked nicely.

Fantasylife
April 15th, 2015, 10:11
I am terrified of needles, any kind, and can handle the bubble test. Each to their own, haha.

I was born abroad and didn't test positive. Interesting to know that about the vaccine.

My form wasn't attached in the email, but in a group documents folder. They told us by June 5th to have it returned in Nashville.

Had my bubble test today and it was MUCH easier than I expected. Didn't hurt a bit. No itching or swelling either. Apart from the band-aid the nurse put over the area, I completely forgot about it.

Cbill1
April 15th, 2015, 14:47

Email your consulate. They aren't going to bite.

johnny
April 15th, 2015, 14:48
Email your consulate. They aren't going to bite.

Exactly.

singinglupines
April 15th, 2015, 19:17
Had my bubble test today and it was MUCH easier than I expected. Didn't hurt a bit. No itching or swelling either. Apart from the band-aid the nurse put over the area, I completely forgot about it.

Yay! Good :) Mine will be on Monday.

BarnSwallow
April 16th, 2015, 03:32
If you're from a large consulate, you probably won't get a confirmation email.
Chicago did not send out confirmation emails whatsoever, though one of the coordinators agreed to look for you if you asked nicely.

Yup. For the Toronto consulate, the coordinator made it clear that they will not be confirming when they've received each document, but they will notify us if something is wrong with the documents. Toronto has a big list I guess! I handed mine in in person just in case, haha.

ShareBear
April 16th, 2015, 03:47
yeah they said they received my form and to wait to do the certificate of health. I don't have any problem contacting the consulate but I definitely don't want to come off as annoying haha.

PuddingHead
April 17th, 2015, 02:44

I didn't even know what the test would entail. The nurse just walked in with a needle and was like, "I'm going to make a bubble under your skin now." Blugh. I'm perfectly fine giving blood and getting shots, but something about the bubble unnerved me. And now it's all bruised.

weepinbell
April 17th, 2015, 02:58
God I wish I would've just been able to do the skin test now... my office is making a big stink out of everything because the doctor originally put my results from January... I told her they're probably no good and lo and behold they weren't - since I was getting a new x-ray anyway, I went back to get that part redone. Asked my coordinator if I could just white it out he said yes the old results just need to be illegible, so I took the forms back to the office, told the receptionist the that the old results absolutely needed to be illegible/whited out. Come back the next day, and the doctor just tagged on the new results next to the old... doctor's gone, so I white it out, bring in the forms the next day and explain that I was told it was okay to white it out... receptionist gives it to the doctor in the back and I hear the doc throwing an absolute coniption fit that it can't be whited out, lalala. Her assistant comes up and tells me super patronizingly that since it's a legal doc there can't be white out on it (which isn't true btw, I work at a doctor's office and every company/office varies with their policies on that). I keep telling them I've been told it's okay, it's for another COUNTRY, so those regulations aren't even the same. So the doctor ends up writing it in with like a frickin sharpie so when the receptionist gives it back to me it's literally dripping... I tell the receptionist, she tries to write over it with another pen (which works because because it's not a SHARPIE), but it's still all smudged. I tell her this and she blamed it on the white out... when she clearly proved it was the pen lol.

So anyway I have to go back today to get the whole thing re-filled out. Because the doctor made a stink about white out and then used a sharpie over it. Ugh... so done. SO DONE.

gibbity
April 17th, 2015, 03:15
well thats a whole load of shit... sorry for the extra stress they are giving you on that. There are VERY few doctors i know that would be that ridiculous, but they are out there :(

Hope the follow up visit goes well.

ambrosse
April 18th, 2015, 05:45
My best friend just got upgraded out of Chicago :)

moonbeam
April 18th, 2015, 05:58
Congrats to them! Someone on Facebook said they were upgraded through DC.

PuddingHead
April 18th, 2015, 07:11
It's nice to see upgrades happening so soon. :)

Penguinonfire
April 18th, 2015, 11:16
I was not at all expecting an upgrade so soon, but here I am! Upgraded to Short-list from Portland!
I received an email without a phone call, but I had already been in contact with the coordinator through email a few times beforehand.
Hopefully in a few months this thread is empty due to everyone getting upgraded :)

singinglupines
April 20th, 2015, 07:29
Wow! Congrats!

mermaidcrane
April 20th, 2015, 22:07
Congratulations to your friend, ambrosse :) What was the deadline for everyone's paperwork in the U.S.? Was it the same for every consulate? Here in the UK it's the 22nd and I haven't found word about anyone from the UK getting upgraded so far.

As per the X-ray and stuff, I'm not hyped about unnecessary radiation either, but it's probably the best way to go since I have had a TB vaccine in the past and wouldn't want a blood test to turn out positive just because I've got traces of the antibody. Gaaahh medicine...

OtherPulse
April 20th, 2015, 22:49
Reading the threads in the archives gives me the impression that no one in the UK gets upgraded till after the deadline. Some people get upgraded before the deadline in the states, but I've yet to see the same happen here in the UK.

singinglupines
April 21st, 2015, 04:18
I just got upgraded!! Out of Nashville.

gibbity
April 21st, 2015, 04:31
Grats bud!

SailorZorro
April 21st, 2015, 04:43
Yay! Congrats. I've been waiting to hear if anyone got upgraded today. I figured he wouldn't do anything before today. Still keeping my fingers crossed tho. Good luck on your placement.
Btw, did you get an email or a phone call? Just curious.

ambrosse
April 21st, 2015, 05:01
Chicago sends out emails, I'm pretty sure.

singinglupines
April 21st, 2015, 05:14
Thanks! I got an email at about 3 pm Eastern.

BifCarbet
April 21st, 2015, 05:23
Congrats! Welcome to the party.

tegteg
April 21st, 2015, 06:13

Congrats!! I'm so jelly. Nashville Alternate here. I have a feeling I won't be getting an upgrade :/ Do you think that Nashville did all of them today or will they stagger them throughout the week?

em7
April 21st, 2015, 07:27
Does each consulate handle the upgrades separately or does it coordinate with all the other consulates in the same country to find placements for the alternates??

Sherlock
April 21st, 2015, 08:58

Congrats singing lupines! I'm glad to see a few of the alternates in the thread get upgraded so soon! Hopefully in a few months everyone else will get upgraded as well. Out of curiosity were you called or did you receive an email? Also updated the master post to reflect your awesome news!

BifCarbet
April 21st, 2015, 09:00
There may be an initial load of upgrades after they settle all the people who declined on the reply form, but more will come. The consulates don't place the candidates or choose the alternates to upgrade. More people will back out after hearing of their placements. Some current participants might change their minds about staying another year, and decide to leave. Many things can happen to cause an alternate to be upgraded. It's not just one alternate upgrade notification this week then game over.

Sherlock
April 21st, 2015, 09:04
Thanks for the info BifCarbet

johnny
April 21st, 2015, 09:09
Yeah, I think expect a lot more in the next couple of weeks.

singinglupines
April 21st, 2015, 09:31
Thanks all!

I'm thinking they'll stagger the first wave at least during the first week. But it does go on for months, the waiting game. Honestly, I had already given up and was making other plans so this was a surprise.

I got an email.

johnny
April 21st, 2015, 09:36
It was the same for me.

webstaa
April 21st, 2015, 14:05
The next big wave will probably be second week of May when people get placements they don't want and turn them down.

hiddenlee22
April 21st, 2015, 22:16
Congratulations to your friend, ambrosse :) What was the deadline for everyone's paperwork in the U.S.? Was it the same for every consulate?

It's different for every consulate. NY's was yesterday, one of the earliest.

I'm pretty sure paperwork, at least for the U.S., is due this week (or the latest, next week) for all consulates.

cassual
April 22nd, 2015, 00:21
It's different for every consulate. NY's was yesterday, one of the earliest.

I'm pretty sure paperwork, at least for the U.S., is due this week (or the latest, next week) for all consulates.

I hope NY starts upgrading soon! I've never come across an alternate that's been upgraded from NY, but I make that observation based only on my digging through archives.

tegteg
April 22nd, 2015, 00:25
Nashville consulate paperwork was due April 17th! Hope that's helpful.

SailorZorro
April 22nd, 2015, 01:03
Nashville's was due last Friday, which was why I figured someone would start hearing yesterday.

BifCarbet
April 22nd, 2015, 02:37
LA was the Friday the 17th also.

naginataonthebrain
April 22nd, 2015, 03:08
Atlanta's was also last friday, the 17th.

hiddenlee22
April 22nd, 2015, 03:28
Seems like a few consulates were fairly early like NY.

Penguinonfire
April 22nd, 2015, 07:44
For Portland, the reply forms aren't even due until the 27th, which is why I was so surprised to get upgraded on the 17th.

BifCarbet
April 22nd, 2015, 07:54
That's probably not rare, because Consulate X short-listers who decline aren't replaced by Consulate X alternates, except coincidentally. So some schlep from Consulate Y replies on 4/4 that they're declining, and they remove that name. They go to the list of ALL the alternates, and pick the one they like, and inform that person's consulate that they've been upgraded.

em7
April 22nd, 2015, 08:00
That's probably not rare, because Consulate X short-listers who decline aren't replaced by Consulate X alternates, except coincidentally. So some schlep from Consulate Y replies on 4/4 that they're declining, and they remove that name. They go to the list of ALL the alternates, and pick the one they like, and inform that person's consulate that they've been upgraded.

Interesting...It's good to know :)

Penguinonfire
April 22nd, 2015, 13:50

I believe this is partially inaccurate. I think the Miami coordinator posted that initial upgrades (like those this month) are done strictly based out of the consulate that had the declined position. After reply forms are all in, and especially after placements are made, the full master alternate list is used with Tokyo deciding what they wanted. I'll see if I can dig up the post.

Edit: Found it

The answer depends on when they are upgraded.

First wave- These upgrades happen before the intial late april deadline for reply forms. People who decline their shortlist spots at the start will be replaced by the people on the alternate list based off the consulate they are at. We basically go down the list based on ranked order.

Once the that april deadline passes, then things change a bit. when someone drops out, we inform tokyo and let them know that a participant dropped and the reason. We then wait for instruction from tokyo.

From may-december, all upgraded are handled by tokyo side. We do not upgrade until they tell us to. We no longer follow a ranked order, but rather, the specifications set by the contracting organization. it becomes a little more complicated, but basically tokyo decides which consulates get to upgrade from their lists.

Thats the way it Works.

BifCarbet
April 22nd, 2015, 18:21
Oh, very interesting, indeed. I was told very matter-of-factually the opposite, but the person who told me may have ignored part of the question. I'm not a coordinator, so I don't know.
Anyway, I brought that up to reassure the alternate that not being upgraded this week doesn't mean that they are not getting upgraded. I think we all grasp that by now, though. Thanks for the additional info!

em7
April 23rd, 2015, 01:36
I see...Thanks. I guess not much can happen between now and May then.

Viral
April 23rd, 2015, 02:40
Should be seeing some Londoners getting upgraded tomorrow (deadline today).

Sherlock
April 23rd, 2015, 06:51
Got upgraded today! So excited! Still at work or I'd make a longer post! I'll still keep updating the alternate thread and am hoping everyone else gets the call as well!

tegteg
April 23rd, 2015, 06:57
Got upgraded today! So excited! Still at work or I'd make a longer post! I'll still keep updating the alternate thread and am hoping everyone else gets the call as well!
CONGRATS!!!!

I think I'm gonna have to stop checking my email for a while, it's just depressing me - seems like the Nashville upgrades came on Monday, so I'm SOL until the end of May. I think my chances are slim once it goes to Tokyo :'( I'm a female with an SO, and from what Miami Co said I'll probably only be replacing other dropouts with SOs - married people seem to be less abundant than singles in this program :022:Man, I wanted this so bad!

So happy for you though!!!!! :^_^:

singinglupines
April 23rd, 2015, 09:58

Yay, congrats!

singinglupines
April 23rd, 2015, 10:03
CONGRATS!!!!

I think I'm gonna have to stop checking my email for a while, it's just depressing me - seems like the Nashville upgrades came on Monday, so I'm SOL until the end of May. I think my chances are slim once it goes to Tokyo :'( I'm a female with an SO, and from what Miami Co said I'll probably only be replacing other dropouts with SOs - married people seem to be less abundant than singles in this program :022:Man, I wanted this so bad!

So happy for you though!!!!! :^_^:

Oh, keeping my fingers crossed for you! From fb, it looks like three of us were upgraded.

johnny
April 23rd, 2015, 10:12

Congrats!

em7
April 23rd, 2015, 10:12

Congrats!!!

Anyone from Canada has been upgraded yet?

dwalker
April 23rd, 2015, 12:03
late to the thread, but it's great to see other alternates out there! :)

I'm an alternate out of Nashville.

AyaReiko
April 23rd, 2015, 13:22

Hmm, not that I've heard of...

OtherPulse
April 24th, 2015, 03:06
Any news on the UK front? I was anticipating some upgrades today.

Viral
April 24th, 2015, 04:13
London here. Just got an email today to tell me of my disqualification (I didn't post a reply slip). I guess it's taking them a while to wade through everyone's slips before selecting the upgrades...

OtherPulse
April 24th, 2015, 04:18
Ah, I believe you stated you got another job, right? Hope it all goes well for you. :D

Hopefully tomorrow we'll start to hear of people getting upgraded then.

Shincantsen
April 24th, 2015, 04:42
Any news on the UK front? I was anticipating some upgrades today.

I think they generally have to wait for approval from Tokyo to upgrade someone, so I wouldn't expect it to happen too quickly after forms are due.

OtherPulse
April 24th, 2015, 05:26
Ah, alrighty then. I was basing it of last year where some people got upgraded the day after the deadline, but maybe last year was the exception. I think last year they also had a later deadline, so perhaps that gave them more time to sort it all out.

I should really stop thinking about it so much though.

naginataonthebrain
April 24th, 2015, 06:06
My kohai from the study abroad program I went to just got upgraded from the NYC consulate today. I think they are letting people know in waves...at least in the U.S.

Viral
April 24th, 2015, 06:31
Ah, I believe you stated you got another job, right? Hope it all goes well for you. :D

Hopefully tomorrow we'll start to hear of people getting upgraded then.

Yep, I'll be going to Japan on the Daiwa Scholarship. Thank you!

Good luck with the alternate status to you and everyone else. At least you have one less person to compete with now!

em7
April 24th, 2015, 07:37
Ah, alrighty then. I was basing it of last year where some people got upgraded the day after the deadline, but maybe last year was the exception. I think last year they also had a later deadline, so perhaps that gave them more time to sort it all out.

I should really stop thinking about it so much though.

Me too....I should really stop thinking about it so much though.

Ace
April 24th, 2015, 08:08
My kohai from the study abroad program I went to just got upgraded from the NYC consulate today. I think they are letting people know in waves...at least in the U.S.

NY has been so quiet about things too, it hurts not getting that call yet. Sigh......I want this too much.

greyjoy
April 24th, 2015, 11:04
London here. Just got an email today to tell me of my disqualification (I didn't post a reply slip). I guess it's taking them a while to wade through everyone's slips before selecting the upgrades...

I know the end result is the same, so maybe why waste the stamp, but why didn't you just decline the position instead of waiting to time out, if you knew you weren't going to take it?

cassual
April 24th, 2015, 11:10
NY has been so quiet about things too, it hurts not getting that call yet. Sigh......I want this too much.

Ugh, it's totally unnerving. The NY consulate has this strange air of silence surrounding it. I'm totally discouraged from getting any sort of upgrade from them, only because I've never encountered one.

ShareBear
April 25th, 2015, 01:49
Today is Detroit's deadline for paper work and I got an e-mail from the coordinator that said a lot of people did not turn their paper work in. We shall see. . .

AyaReiko
April 25th, 2015, 12:38
Ottawa was on the 21st... I think no one was upgraded.

On a totally unrelated subject: who will be going to orientation anyway?

em7
April 25th, 2015, 12:55
Ottawa was on the 21st... I think no one was upgraded.

On a totally unrelated subject: who will be going to orientation anyway?

Did you get the orientation schedule already? I haven't received any related e-mails yet...

AyaReiko
April 25th, 2015, 13:04
Oh really? We got it a few days after the other email, I think.
Every embassy ad consulate has a different schedule, though, so it may vary by area.
Now that I think about it, I don't know if alternates can go to orientation in all the cities... Hmm.

Viral
April 25th, 2015, 18:51
I know the end result is the same, so maybe why waste the stamp, but why didn't you just decline the position instead of waiting to time out, if you knew you weren't going to take it?

Well, it doesn't make a difference. As you said, I don't want to waste the money, and the end result is exactly the same. It also gave me a back up in the slight chance my current route fell through for some unknown reason.

acpc2203
April 26th, 2015, 03:19
Today is Detroit's deadline for paper work and I got an e-mail from the coordinator that said a lot of people did not turn their paper work in. We shall see. . .
Yeah same thing here in Honolulu so I assume most places will have several openings for alternates.

Marmite
April 27th, 2015, 22:04
London alternates are being upgraded now. Good luck everyone!

Shincantsen
April 27th, 2015, 22:51
Oh really? We got it a few days after the other email, I think.
Every embassy ad consulate has a different schedule, though, so it may vary by area.
Now that I think about it, I don't know if alternates can go to orientation in all the cities... Hmm.

Just to clarify, every consulate/embassy has a Pre-Departure Orientation, which takes place the day before you leave to Japan and is mandatory. I assume you're talking about the optional Q&A session that happens around June. You're right, some consulates invite alternates to the Q&A and some don't. If anyone's an alternate and really wants to attend, I think you could probably contact your Coordinator and ask.

BifCarbet
April 28th, 2015, 01:01
If anyone's an alternate and really wants to attend, I think you could probably contact your Coordinator and ask.
You'll be asked, "Where are you placed?" about 30 times, though. Might start to hurt.

OtherPulse
April 28th, 2015, 02:42
Someone in the UK on reddit got upgraded today, so I guess it's begun here.

hiddenlee22
April 28th, 2015, 03:43
Someone in the UK on reddit got upgraded today, so I guess it's begun here.

Good to see the UK finally joining the party. I'm pretty sure the NY has upgraded all of the alternates that they planned on so the wait continues. #NYalternate4life

OtherPulse
April 28th, 2015, 04:02
There will be more to come as the month goes on.

I'm just hoping today wasn't the only day of the initial upgraded wave in the UK.

frayedflower
April 28th, 2015, 05:52
Good to see the UK finally joining the party. I'm pretty sure the NY has upgraded all of the alternates that they planned on so the wait continues. #NYalternate4life

For what it's worth, I hope you get good news soon. :(

mermaidcrane
April 28th, 2015, 06:26
There will be more to come as the month goes on.

I'm just hoping today wasn't the only day of the initial upgraded wave in the UK.

Me too! I haven't had any email communication from JET at all, it's all been via post. I know upgrades are generally announced over the phone, but do you think it's worth checking that the embassy has my email address right? Or have the London embassy just not been emailing anyone?

eparadigm
April 28th, 2015, 07:11
Me too! I haven't had any email communication from JET at all, it's all been via post. I know upgrades are generally announced over the phone, but do you think it's worth checking that the embassy has my email address right? Or have the London embassy just not been emailing anyone?

From the upgrade posts Ive seen on the facebook group and the subreddit, I think its by phone.

JET have contacted me by email previously, but that was to check why I had a different number on the reply form compared to the one on the initial application form.

DualTheSol
April 28th, 2015, 08:43
Congrats!!!

I am from Canada, and I just got upgraded this afternoon! Seemed like I was the first one out of my area to be upgraded, but it is happening oh so slowly!

word
April 28th, 2015, 11:50
Congrats, Dual!

johnny
April 28th, 2015, 12:34
I am from Canada, and I just got upgraded this afternoon! Seemed like I was the first one out of my area to be upgraded, but it is happening oh so slowly!

Congrats! Which city?

em7
April 28th, 2015, 13:26

Congrats!!! Did you get an email?

simplesam
April 28th, 2015, 14:04
Congratulations! Houston Embassy just had their paper deadline last week and it has one of the bigger groups from my understanding. I'm hoping we'll start hearing about upgrades soon.

johnny
April 28th, 2015, 14:07
I assume so. Good luck.

DualTheSol
April 28th, 2015, 23:37
I was upgraded out of Ottawa :)

And nope, they called my cell and left a voicemail for me luckily. I guess they know we can't all be glued to our phones at all times, haha.

singinglupines
April 29th, 2015, 00:36

Congrats!

em7
April 29th, 2015, 09:07

And nope, they called my cell and left a voicemail for me luckily. I guess they know we can't all be glued to our phones at all times, haha.

Lol what did they say in the voice message?

Bdn197
April 29th, 2015, 10:50
I got upgraded from Chicago :D

Marmite
April 29th, 2015, 18:53
I got upgraded from Chicago :D

Congratulations :)

Sherlock
April 29th, 2015, 23:15
Glad to see the upgrades still coming! Hopefully when placement info is available a big wave of upgrades will happen. Master post has been updated.

eparadigm
April 29th, 2015, 23:49
Only seen 3 UK upgrade posts on reddit and facebook. I know people don't have to post when they've been upgraded but I expected more...

AngeSim12
April 30th, 2015, 03:24

Ah, this gives me hope. I'm hoping to be upgraded through the Montreal Consulate. Newfoundland and Labrador candidate, here. :)

KarayanK
April 30th, 2015, 04:28

Congrats! I'm an alternate in Ottawa as well, so you've given me some hope.