PDA

View Full Version : Passport Help

Verbatim
March 31st, 2015, 08:24
Hey everyone,

I got shortlisted, but now I have a new question.

I am planning to apply for an expedited passport tomorrow, and I did not realize they would need a copy of that by April 17th.

What are my options here?

krayziesensei
March 31st, 2015, 08:45
On the Chicago Short-list Reply Form there is an option to choose that you're currently applying for your passport.

webstaa
March 31st, 2015, 08:56
Contact your JET Coordinator and let them know. It probably won't be too much of a problem - on the expedited form make sure you put 4/17 as the date you need the passport by. And be prepared to pay through the nose for it. IIRC there were a few from the same consulate I left through that didn't have a passport until they were shortlisted. Fairly sure they made it out just fine getting the expedited option.

(Kinda shortsighted if you're applying for a job abroad and don't have a passport, but that is neither here, nor there.)

Verbatim
March 31st, 2015, 08:59
For real?! I thought I had killed all my hopes and dreams just then, because I assumed they wouldn't need a passport until May or at least the end of April...

Mine doesn't have an option to check that I'm currently applying for one, it just says "if you already have your passport, please write the info here" and says that the reply form is needed by the 17th. Maybe that means it's a bit more lenient?

webstaa
March 31st, 2015, 09:06
For real?! I thought I had killed all my hopes and dreams just then, because I assumed they wouldn't need a passport until May or at least the end of April...

Mine doesn't have an option to check that I'm currently applying for one, it just says "if you already have your passport, please write the info here" and says that the reply form is needed by the 17th. Maybe that means it's a bit more lenient?

Probably OK then. I'd still contact the JET coord for clarification, but you should be OK then, from the phrasing, it sounds like that form is just the 'Yes, I still want to enter JET as a shortlister' form.

Verbatim
March 31st, 2015, 09:10
Thanks so much webstaa. Do you think it would be better to call or email?

And yeah, I don't really have a good excuse for not having one already besides the fact that I work during the hours the post office are open, and I never really made the time to get down there during my lunch break while keeping the whole situation on the DL at work.

webstaa
March 31st, 2015, 13:33
I'd email. You don't know their working hours, so it'll be seen earlier and thus resolved faster.

Shincantsen
March 31st, 2015, 23:09
Thanks so much webstaa. Do you think it would be better to call or email?

It's pretty much always better to email.

Verbatim
April 1st, 2015, 04:24
Update: I've successfully gotten everything ironed out today. The consulate was very helpful and understanding, and my expedited passport is now being processed.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

I think my fatal flaw was underestimating how soon they would need passports. In my head I was thinking I could just get one over the summer and be fine- because it would be a waste if I ended up rejected. Obviously that was not a good idea. Don't make the same mistake I did, future applicants!

JET ProgramCoordinator SF
April 2nd, 2015, 03:28
Glad you cleared it up. For future reference for anyone reading this forum, we know that people don't always have a passport. We can be flexible on when you send us your photocopy of your passport; just contact us and let us know.

Verbatim
April 2nd, 2015, 05:25
Thanks so much, SF.

I'm just glad my journey wasn't over before it began!