PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phones in Japan

Lesley
May 23rd, 2004, 21:00
I'm trying to decide what to do about my mobile phone when I go to Japan. :?:

My current contract runs out in just over a month so I don't know whether to change to pay as you go (it'll cost a fortune to phone/text in Japan though and I'm not so sure about the coverage) or to just buy a new phone over there.

Is anyone else planning on owning a mobile in Japan?

llumynia
May 23rd, 2004, 22:07

llumynia
May 23rd, 2004, 22:08

Xeno
May 23rd, 2004, 22:23
It seems there are some major mobile phone companies...NTT Docomo (That's the abbreviation for Do Communication blah blah blah..I don't remember... :? ), KDDI (Japanese know their keitais as Au), Vodafone ( I heard Beckham appeared on the TV commerical. He is so popular in Japan I guess. :roll: ) and a few more. Anyway, Japanese keitais look damn cool! Can't wait to get one! :D

LukeS
May 23rd, 2004, 22:40
i've had a J-phone(vodafone) and a AU,
I think if you going to get a mobile in Japan i would totally suggest AU basically because they have the best plans,look good and easy to use etc...
DOCOMO is really expensive
J-phone(vodafone) is alright but dont get a pre-pay J-phone basically because if you go another area in Japan you will find their pre-pay cards dont work.

Canuck
May 24th, 2004, 01:55
Hey Luke, when I was in Japan before (2 years ago) I had a J-phone pre-paid and it worked for the 2 months where I was (Hokkaido) without needing to replenish the card, but I heard somewhere else that the cards now expire after 1 month, do you know if that's really the case? I was thinking of getting prepaid, just cuz I'm cheap (free incoming calls and txt/email, what more do you need?), but if I'll have to get a new card every month anyway, I'll probably go with a plan and get a cooler looking phone. (that takes pictures!) 8)

Xeno
May 24th, 2004, 12:12
My JET friend said she could get her keitai for free. 8O seems if you don't care how old it is or it's not a brand-new keitai, you can get one without paying. Of course you still have to pay the charge though. :cry:

Sky
May 24th, 2004, 14:58
Guys, I lived in Japan for four months during college and found that the Phone Cards MCI puts out are the best deal by far... they were just called MCI and I bought them at a 7/11 type place, maybe even was a 7/11??? (can't remember, it was up in Sapporo) the one I used was 60 bucks but lasted for like 300 minutes to the US...

peace
sky

zkac054
May 24th, 2004, 15:04
I have a vodafone and it's pretty swanky. Neat features etc. For those of you who need to send SMS, vodafone have recently released a new phone using USIM (similar to a SIM) and so it can send SMS, or so it says. I have yet to try this out.