PDA

View Full Version : Drugs!

weepinbell
April 6th, 2015, 11:00
I'm wondering if anyone knows the stance is on Melatonin? I use it to sleep sometimes and definitely wanna pop a couple on the plane to knock me out... I can't find whether or not it's okay to bring it over for personal use, just that Japan doesn't permit selling it. Anyone know? I'd assume it's the same as advil, which I believe you can bring without having to file paperwork for it, if I'm not confused...?

Ananasboat
April 6th, 2015, 11:02
Oh god, bring that shit in with you. They have melatonin and stuff like that here (I'm talking about benadryl) but it's stupidly expensive. I had a period of time where I couldn't sleep well and got 12 benadryl pills for about 20 bucks. Hell no.

Like I said, bring yourself a big ol' bottle or two. Shouldn't have any problems bringing it into the country.

weepinbell
April 6th, 2015, 11:07
Oh god, bring that shit in with you. They have melatonin and stuff like that here (I'm talking about benadryl) but it's stupidly expensive. I had a period of time where I couldn't sleep well and got 12 benadryl pills for about 20 bucks. Hell no.

Like I said, bring yourself a big ol' bottle or two. Shouldn't have any problems bringing it into the country.

God no benedryl knocks me out like the freakin dead, so thank GOD. 2-3mg of melatonin is more than enough for a good sleep, I'm so sensitive to sleep supplements/medication. I would have been so disappointed if I couldn't bring it lol (or maybe resorted to too much wine...). Thanks, I will totally stock up.

Ananasboat
April 6th, 2015, 11:09
Man, I:m so used to sleep aids now I've gotta take like two benadryl and wait 45 minutes before I feel anything. It's the mornings that kill me.

Also, how long have you taken melatonin? Do you take it regularly? What about in the summer?

weepinbell
April 6th, 2015, 11:29
Haha damn. I'd literally never wake up if I did that. Those benadryl hangovers are KILLER. I used to get them from melatonin too, because I recently realized I've been taking 10mg pills wtf? So now I cut one pill into 4s with a pill cutter. Usually I take it on Sundays to regulate my sleep cycle after a weekend where I've f'd it up by staying up til like 3 every day or something. But occasionally I'll just have a bad sleep cycle week, so then I might take it 2-4 times. It kinda depends. I know I'll need it once I get to Japan to get over my jetlag. And on the plane because I absolutely haaaate flying...

I guess I take it in the summer? Is that bad lol.

Ananasboat
April 6th, 2015, 11:41
I guess I take it in the summer? Is that bad lol.

It depends.

I have a rough time shutting my brain down, and before I took any sort of sleep aids it would take me about 1&1/2 hours from the time I close my eyes and get under the covers to actually fall asleep. Pretty bad. I started taking melatonin and that helped so much, but I took it every day. I think I started in the winter, which is why it snuck up on me. It's generally not recommended to take it daily because it can mess with your actual melatonin production. Sometime the summer hit and I kept taking it because I still couldn't sleep. Except I noticed I was getting snippy. And then one day my mom asked me to do something that I really didn't want to do and I absolutely snapped. Like, tantrum and thinking she hated me and I wanted to just SCREAM about how she would make me do x, why would she put y above my comfort. It was pretty bad.

Anyway, I'm lucky because I'm a (sort of) logical thinker and I realized this wasn't normal behavior. Turns out taking melatonin for an extended period of time in the summer particularly can cause symptoms of depression because it tricks your mind into thinking it's winter (it has to do with when your body produces melatonin, which is when it's dark out). And if you combine that with SAD, you are basically asking for a trip to the hospital.

So, yeah, I don't recommend taking it like that. With the added stress of moving to Japan it could turn ugly.

weepinbell
April 6th, 2015, 11:46
Oh damn! Yeah definitely something that's good to know. I've been taking it for like 2 years with no problems, but again, I don't take it regularly... good thing, because clearly that's something I want to avoid...

greyjoy
April 6th, 2015, 12:02
Melatonin does nothing for me but give me dry mouth. Ambien is the only thing that works for me. If anyone is dissatisfied with OTC sleep aids and want something for the plane ride, mention it to your doctor at your health review and they'll probably give you a weeks prescription or something. Actually, if you live in America, just tell them you have insomnia and want a big bottle of the stuff and they'll probably give it to you. It's the age of prescription medicine after all.

mothy
April 6th, 2015, 12:09
Why does anyone need anything other than alcohol to sleep?

word
April 6th, 2015, 12:13
Melatonin works quite well for me. Be careful with prescription meds as you don't wanna end up like that duck-face bimbo who got tossed in the clink for smuggling meth/Adderall over.

Virgil
April 6th, 2015, 12:14
Melatonin just gives me vivid bizarre nightmares.

weepinbell
April 6th, 2015, 13:22
Be careful with prescription meds as you don't wanna end up like that duck-face bimbo who got tossed in the clink for smuggling meth/Adderall over.

Lol seriously though. I don't wanna mess with prescriptions anyway, that's the shit that gives me weird dreams. Anything other than melatonin, it's seriously like elephant tranquilizer for me, and sometimes it gives me sleep paralysis... not fun. So I'm gonna stick to melatonin.

weepinbell
April 6th, 2015, 23:18
Btw, on another note, I'm bringing birth control over, too. I called my insurance company about it, and they said they're allowed to give me a 3 month 'vacation' advance on it, once/year... anyone with an HMO deal with a similar problem and manage to find a loophole with it besides bringing a ton of samples? I'll probably keep bugging them to figure out a solution. Since this isn't technically a vacation, maybe I can pull some strings but my insurance is sorta tough to budge sometimes.

naginataonthebrain
April 6th, 2015, 23:30
When I told my OB/GYN that I was going to be abroad for at least at year, she gave me a year's worth of birth control in sample form (free medicine, hollaaaa).

weepinbell
April 6th, 2015, 23:39
I literally just switched to my prescription to something I highly doubt has samples.... I don't wanna keep switching pills ahhhh!!! I guess I'll see if I like this one after a month or two and if I don't, try to go the sample route... I'm surprised my gyne didn't do the same thing, she just wrote me a year's prescription and said to see what my insurance does, but I bet if I call the office I might be able to swing some samples. My body is very finnicky with what BC is likes though, and I definitely don't wanna be on a hormonal rampage in another country lol.

naginataonthebrain
April 7th, 2015, 01:12
I literally just switched to my prescription to something I highly doubt has samples.... I don't wanna keep switching pills ahhhh!!! I guess I'll see if I like this one after a month or two and if I don't, try to go the sample route... I'm surprised my gyne didn't do the same thing, she just wrote me a year's prescription and said to see what my insurance does, but I bet if I call the office I might be able to swing some samples. My body is very finnicky with what BC is likes though, and I definitely don't wanna be on a hormonal rampage in another country lol.

I think it should be fairly simple to get samples (unless the BC you were given is so new on the market that they haven't made that option available). Hopefully they will also give you a year's supply in samples. But they may not...my OB/GYN's mother is a patient of my mother and she probably treated me extra well since my mother has done a lot for her. *shrugs*. Either way, explain your situation and cross your fingers! If you want to talk in more detail, feel free to send me a PM.

weepinbell
April 7th, 2015, 01:22
Lol I work at an obgyn, so I'm already planning on taking samples from here if all else fails. I just don't wanna switch my pill again to be honest, so I'm trying to see if this prescription advancement has any loopholes or samples of that one first. :(

naginataonthebrain
April 7th, 2015, 01:31
lol whoops, I forgot you were one of the regulars who works in the medical administration field. Do y'all get drug reps to visit your office from time to time? Maybe you can talk to them about scoring some samples if insurance is being a pain in the butt.

weepinbell
April 7th, 2015, 01:42
No worries not like you should remember something like that. Haha oh all the time. I could probably get a doctor to agree to that if a rep came in with that medication, but my prescription is a seasonsale generic... I'm 90% sure samples for anything like it don't exist. :( I'm gonna call insurance again today, sometimes talking to another person helps. If not, I guess I will be changing my bc for the 3rd time in a year UGH.

Ananasboat
April 7th, 2015, 07:18
The moment I go home for my vacation I'm going to see if I can get that BC implant. I hope the doctors don't look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that, but I bet if its really bad the doctors here can take it out. I just really do not want to have to deal with getting BC here, or mailing my prescriptions over because my mom is a flake.

greyjoy
April 7th, 2015, 09:37
What does sample birth control look like? Is it a full month? I understand the need to have samples of it, but it seems like a difficult thing to test run. Most sample medication I see has 2 pills in a pouch, but that would be ridiculous for bc.

word
April 7th, 2015, 10:02
Yeah, samples I've seen are always the full month. They come in easy-to-use, color-coded blister packs, like all daily BC.

naginataonthebrain
April 7th, 2015, 10:16
Yeah, samples I've seen are always the full month. They come in easy-to-use, color-coded blister packs, like all daily BC.

Ding, ding, ding! Word is correct. Congratulations, you receive the prize package of hormonal regulation for all of your co-workers (male or female, your choice!)

word
April 7th, 2015, 10:19
Hell, I wish they had male hormonal BC. Or that gel that they developed in India; why haven't we been all over that?

weepinbell
April 7th, 2015, 10:20
The moment I go home for my vacation I'm going to see if I can get that BC implant. I hope the doctors don't look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that, but I bet if its really bad the doctors here can take it out. I just really do not want to have to deal with getting BC here, or mailing my prescriptions over because my mom is a flake.

I have been SERIOUSLY considering this because my insurance fully covers so many iuds... but I am so freaking paranoid about it because we occasionally have patients come in who've 'lost' it... i.e., it's like floating around in there and you have to surgically remove it. Don't get me wrong, it's SO rare, but I guess since I've seen it first-hand it makes me feel so weird about them. They fall out sometimes, too. There's also nexplanon which is an implant in your arm... Idk which one I'd be weirder about. We'll see though, maybe I'll talk it over with the docs and give in. :/

Ananasboat
April 7th, 2015, 10:25
I'm talking about nex. It is super weird, I had a friend show me once. Basically, she has this tube that's under her skin, and if you poke it you can feel it, and you can wiggle it around and all that stuff.

Hell, I'm 30% worried about it not being the right hormonal balance for me, and 70% about messing around with it so much it comes out or whatever.

But I want something that doesn't make me gain weight, lose my sex drive, make me break out and will keep me from getting preggo if I do it bareback.

weepinbell
April 7th, 2015, 10:47
Yeah, that'd be a big concern for me - I like the pill because if it does start messing me up, I could just stop it. An implant, not so much...

I might get desperate too if I had such bad side effects lol. I'm switching from a really shitty one that made my boobs way too sore/made me feel crappy, but it helped a lot with my acne, so I'm hoping this new stuff won't make me break out lol.

Ugh I wish Japan were cooler about birth control, it'd make this a whole thing a lot easier for a whole lot of people.

word
April 7th, 2015, 10:53
I wish the world in general was cooler about birth control :(

naginataonthebrain
April 7th, 2015, 10:59
I wish the world in general was cooler about birth control :(

Word.

hypatia
April 7th, 2015, 16:51
Btw, on another note, I'm bringing birth control over, too. I called my insurance company about it, and they said they're allowed to give me a 3 month 'vacation' advance on it, once/year... anyone with an HMO deal with a similar problem and manage to find a loophole with it besides bringing a ton of samples? .

I had to go through this shit before I came over. I also had an HMO and I had to get my birth control through mail order because it was considered "maintenance medicine". I got my doctor to write me a one year prescription, but couldn't get around that 3 month vacation advance. I was on the phone with the pharmacy division of my insurance, and then the mail order company, and then the actual pharmacy, back and forth for probably 3 hours. After all that, I couldn't get around the 3 month vacation advance. So when I went to the pharmacy to get my one year prescription filled, only 3 months of the 12 were covered by insurance. When the pharmacist rang me up he said "Are you ready for this?" and then I died on the inside when I saw how much I had to pay.

The moment I go home for my vacation I'm going to see if I can get that BC implant.

God, I wish I had done this before I came. I had actually been considering it, but it wasn't covered by my insurance/was really expensive. About a month before my departure for Japan I found out that with the changes to the Affordable Care Act that my insurance had started covering them, but by that point I wasn't working at my job anymore.

I'm actually debating what to do about this this year, since my one year supply will eventually run out (and I've been on the same prescription for like 6 years, so there's no way in hell I'm going to deal with not only the headache of trying to get BC in Japan but also adjusting to a new formulation)A friend of mine here has the Mirena implant, and is getting hers replaced in Japan, but she had it before coming here. I'm worried about getting it here and having complications and then having to deal with the medical system here.

weepinbell
April 7th, 2015, 23:39
When the pharmacist rang me up he said "Are you ready for this?" and then I died on the inside when I saw how much I had to pay.

A friend of mine here has the Mirena implant, and is getting hers replaced in Japan, but she had it before coming here. I'm worried about getting it here and having complications and then having to deal with the medical system here.

So you must have done out of pocket right? I don't think I could swing that, I just dropped so much money on contacts to last me over there ugh. And 6mo worth? Yikes. :( I'll probably just do the extension, bring 6 months worth and pay my mom to ship the next 2 refills... Unless I just do the sample thing. :/

I didn't know they had implants in Japan?? The more we talk about this the more I'm considering just doing it... I'm concerned about the complications, too, but it makes me feel a little better that they exist there and would know how to handle it if I had issues. I just like the pill because I have control over when I get my period... With iud you spot a bit and sometimes it just goes away sometimes it doesn't. Also we had a girl here get preggo with an iud (though I think that's because she had sex the same day she got it in lol)...

hypatia
April 8th, 2015, 02:13
So you must have done out of pocket right? I don't think I could swing that, I just dropped so much money on contacts to last me over there ugh. And 6mo worth? Yikes. :( I'll probably just do the extension, bring 6 months worth and pay my mom to ship the next 2 refills... Unless I just do the sample thing. :/

I didn't know they had implants in Japan?? The more we talk about this the more I'm considering just doing it... I'm concerned about the complications, too, but it makes me feel a little better that they exist there and would know how to handle it if I had issues. I just like the pill because I have control over when I get my period... With iud you spot a bit and sometimes it just goes away sometimes it doesn't. Also we had a girl here get preggo with an iud (though I think that's because she had sex the same day she got it in lol)...

Yeah, it was out of pocket. It was actually my BC and another maintenance medicine I'm on at the same time, so it was around $650 for the 9 month supply of both of them. Even though I had saved up as much money as I could just for this sort of thing, I swear I felt faint seeing that number. I would've done that (had my mom ship it to me) if I trusted her to do it though, haha. When I first started taking BC it was being filled at the pharmacy in my hometown and she was picking it up and mailing it to me. It was a hassle to get her to do that in a timely manner, and I went to college 45 minutes away from home! I decided there was no way in hell that I was going to depend on her for that shit living thousands of miles away. Also, technically if you're mailing (or physically bringing into the country) more than a month's supply of prescription drugs you have to fill out a yakkan shoumei, which is a giant pain in the ass. I decided if I was going to have to go through all that rigmarole I might as well bring the entire one year supply and only have to fill it out once.

As far the the IUD goes, yes it's here, but it's certainly not a common thing as far as I'm aware. They're relatively expensive for a procedure here, around 4, or 4.5 man (which is pretty much par for the course when your point of view is the American healthcare system) My friend who is getting her Mirena replaced had to look pretty far away to find a clinic that she was comfortable with (but take that with a grain of salt, as my area/prefecture in general is pretty inaka). If I wanted to get it done here, I'm not sure how familiar my local ob/gyn would be with it.

TL;DR, (in my opinion) if you're comfortable with the idea of getting an IUD and are able to do it before coming to Japan, DO IT NOW. That way you have a few months to get comfortable with it, and have your check ups in America with a doctor you're familiar with and that speaks the same language you do. That's what I wish I did. *sigh*

weepinbell
April 8th, 2015, 02:44
Also, technically if you're mailing (or physically bringing into the country) more than a month's supply of prescription drugs you have to fill out a yakkan shoumei, which is a giant pain in the ass. I decided if I was going to have to go through all that rigmarole I might as well bring the entire one year supply and only have to fill it out once.

Ugh yeah that's true I forgot... then I'd literally have to do yakkan shoumei 3 separate times, and I'm definitely concerned about it getting there for when it's time for me to start a new pack. It's looking like samples or iud are my only options unless I wanna pay outta my ass for out of pocket... Idek if this bc is gonna work for me, I just started it a day ago lol. This is the WORST!!! I think I'll call my gyne today haha.

webstaa
April 8th, 2015, 08:32
For contacts, you can us mail-order systems from the US etc every two months, sans prescription. (Sites like 1-800contacts and lens.com, although you might miss out on the discounts for ordering 2+ boxes per eye.) And there are a few websites that offer some pretty good prices if you're willing to order a bunch and get the yakkan-shoumei done for it.

Although I need to see an optometrist one of these days.

Isola
April 8th, 2015, 09:58
Idek if this bc is gonna work for me, I just started it a day ago lol.
Have you considered getting a prescription in Japan? For people who have birth control they already know works for them, it might be better to just stick with their prescription from home, but it seems like that's not the case for you.
I haven't personally done this, but my friend gets her bc in Japan. It costs a little more than the US, but she doesn't have to deal with getting prescriptions, shipping, and filling out the yakkan shoumei. She made an appointment with a gynecologist here and was able to get her new prescription right away.

hypatia
April 8th, 2015, 13:34
Have you considered getting a prescription in Japan? For people who have birth control they already know works for them, it might be better to just stick with their prescription from home, but it seems like that's not the case for you.
I haven't personally done this, but my friend gets her bc in Japan. It costs a little more than the US, but she doesn't have to deal with getting prescriptions, shipping, and filling out the yakkan shoumei. She made an appointment with a gynecologist here and was able to get her new prescription right away.

That is definitely a possibility. But, there are hassles that go along with getting it here too. Since hormonal BC is relatively new in Japan (it was only legalized in 1999!) the selection is pretty small, and they're all low-dosage pills*. In addition to their not being covered by the national health insurance (averaging around 3000 yen for a one month supply), they don't just give you a prescription to be filled like at home. They only give you a one month (or two, if you're lucky) supply at a time, so you have to keep going back for them to dispense a month or two's supply to you.

*Here's what's available in Japan - for example, my birth control is ethinyl estradiol and norgestimate. None of these use either of those particular compounds.

Monophasic Oral Contraceptives (一相性ピル)
Ortho M-21 (オーソ M-21) – 1st Generation, Norethindrone
Marvelon (マーベロン) – 3rd Generation, Desogestrel
Favoir (ファボワール) – Generic of Marvelon – 3rd Generation, Desogestrel

Multiphasic Oral Contraceptives (段階型ピル)
Ortho 777 (オーソ 777-21) – 1st Generation, Norethindrone
Synphase T28 (シンフェーズT28) – 1st Generation, Norethindrone
Triquilar 21/28 (トリキュラー21/28) – 2nd Generation, Levonorgestrel
Ange 21/28 (アンジュ 21/28) – 2nd Generation, Levonorgestrel
Labellefille 21/28 (ラベルフィーユ21/28) – Generic of Ange – 2nd Generation, Levonorgestrel
Marvelon 28 (マーベロン28) – 3rd Generation, Desogestrel

This site is pretty useful if you haven't read it already: A Guide to Birth Control Pills in Japan (http://www.survivingnjapan.com/2010/12/guide-to-birth-control-pills-in-japan.html)
This was also helpful: Birth control pills and other contraceptives in Japan – A basic guide (https://healthytokyo.com/blog/birth-control-pills-and-other-contraceptives-in-japan-a-basic-guide/)

word
April 8th, 2015, 14:10
They only give you a one month (or two, if you're lucky) supply at a time, so you have to keep going back for them to dispense a month or two's supply to you.

ugh; word

This is the worst part for MG, and is pretty much the reason she just doesn't even bother anymore. The only women's clinic in our small city closes at 4pm every day except Wednesdays, when it stays open until six, and it's only open on Saturdays once a month until noon... which leaves a few very narrow windows for her to get the pills. It is a complete pain in the arse and she hates it.

weepinbell
April 8th, 2015, 14:10
Yeah unfortunately the bc that REALLY worked well for me went up to a ridiculous copay after all of the healthcare changes, so I was on a triphasic (which sucks don't do it) for awhile and am switching back to a monophasic... and like hypatia said, I really don't wanna pay that much monthly when I can get it here for free with samples.... I talked to my doctor today and she's trying really hard to work with me, she left me a message of about 3 different sample choices she can give me lol. So hopefully that will be a good solution. I just hate that I've had to mess around with my hormones so much because of all these damn insurance changes ugh. One year in samples might be what I'll do ultimately, and then if I decide to recontract, I'll probably look more into getting them over there.

I've heard you have to go to your doctor monthly to get them refilled in Japan - is that true at all?

Ananasboat
April 8th, 2015, 14:41
I've heard you have to go to your doctor monthly to get them refilled in Japan - is that true at all?

That's what I've heard, either it's to get blood work done or to have a regular checkup. However, I've not gone through the process because my supe is nosy and will ask me lots of questions that the rest of the BOE will hear in intimate detail, so I can't confirm that.

eminate
April 8th, 2015, 16:13
Just to chime in with a little advice about the Nexplanon Implant option; I did this exactly a year ago before coming to Japan for the precise reasons you've all mentioned. I also have hormonal sensitivity and worried extensively over how my body would react and how it would affect my cycles and health in general. In short, I am HIGHLY satisfied, and am quite willing to go into more detail if anyone feels like PMing me with questions or whatever.
From my research I did read that as with all hormonal medications, each person will react differently (due to a variety of factors), so don't assume it will be the same for you, but for me it was the best BC decision I ever made. I intend to never use anything else, ever again haha.

Also, on a side note, due to a clever combination of Obamacare and Planned Parenthood, I didn't have to pay a thing for it, so check at your local clinic and see what options there are for those of you who aren't millionaires (even if you're married to one, they have a sliding scale that only considers your own personal income - at least in NY). But honesty, even if you have to pay for the entire thing out of pocket (somewhere around 600 bucks) since it lasts for 3 years... that's actually less per year than the cumulative co-pay I had to pay for my previous BC (Yaz) even with insurance. So, things to consider.

Hope it all works out for all my lady friends coming Japanside! feel free to ask ze questions.

Ananasboat
April 8th, 2015, 18:11
Was there weight gain? I eat next to nothing (well, I suppose I drink most of my calories) but I still have a bit of belly pudge. I'm worried if I get the Nex implant I'm going to blow up.

eminate
April 8th, 2015, 22:12
In my experience, coming from endometriosis struggles and chronic pain when eating, I rarely struggle with my weight simply because it hurts to get completely full. What I did notice when I switched to the implant was that this pain was lessened (due to not getting my period anymore - which is by no means a guarantee of the implant, but does occur in some people) and therefore I could eat more comfortably, which did mean that I needed more self control in order to maintain my weight.
But over the last year, I haven't noticed fat gain that wasn't attributable to increased caloric consumption (we all have our winter ice cream comfort vices).

I did, however, experience significant water retention for the first month (which after a month went away completely) increased oil production and subsequent mild breakouts which have since calmed down to almost previous norms (keep in mind, though, that BC pills often relieve acne symptoms, so the effect may be more the lack of the pill than the use of the implant).
My emotional state brightened somewhat in a sort of non-specific optimism, the precise cause of which it's obviously hard to really pin down, but given the reality that hormones affect our moods I assume at the very least the implant didn't affect my moods negatively.

To be honest, I also experienced improvement in the sexual arena, which for ...reasons... I won't go into detail on, haha.
...'The sexual arena'
well, if no one makes a joke out of that I'm just going to be disappointed.

In short, if you're already cautious and diligent about your weight I don't think you'll experience any significant changes that are mysterious and not related to increased consumption.
(Be aware that if you eat school lunch here, and you don't normally consume 800+ calories at lunch, you will need to adjust your dinner and snack portions (or amount of exercise) to compensate for the extra calories.)
Hope that helps!

gibbity
April 8th, 2015, 22:19
nosy question you by no means have to answer. But the eating pain. Do you have a GI issue like Celiacs or Crohns or something? Or is it remnant pain from a past injury? Just curious. I couldnt gain weight until my early/mid 20s due to pain when eating. Got on some delightful immuno suppressants, and now i can get fat!

weepinbell
April 8th, 2015, 22:28
Thanks for all of the info eminate, I just looked at my coverage and it looks like nexplanon is an option for me too... if I get an implant, I'd actually feel kinda better about it in my arm that having strings hanging down from my uterus lol. That just freaks me out so much

I'm just so paranoid about implants, since your period often goes away on them... what if you're that 1% that gets knocked up on it and you don't even know because you don't get your period/it can be pretty spotty with an implant. Idk obviously you should use backup protection for other reasons, like I said, I'm totally just being paranoid lol. Especially since morning after pill is apparently sorta hard to obtain there.

I primarily use BC for regulation, but my period sucks so bad I'm taking a seasonale thing right now anyway to make it go away. I guess I just like the option of giving myself a period if I get paranoid or something.

Ps, ananas, it says on the nex website that weight gain is a common side effect but... that's what it literally says for every bc I've ever taken, so I guess you can never really know until you try... :/

eminate
April 8th, 2015, 23:22
nosy question you by no means have to answer. But the eating pain. Do you have a GI issue like Celiacs or Crohns or something? Or is it remnant pain from a past injury? Just curious. I couldnt gain weight until my early/mid 20s due to pain when eating. Got on some delightful immuno suppressants, and now i can get fat!

No problem at all ^^
It's mostly due to the endometriosis, because it has caused adhesions and inflammation on most surfaces in my abdominal cavity, including my small intestines and bowel (it's a pretty terrible disorder). Being an autoimmune disease, however, symptoms can be similar to other autoimmune diseases like Lupus, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and the like, which can also cause pain when eating. It's very hard to get a definitive diagnosis for endometriosis without laparoscopic visual inspection, though, so even if your symptoms match up you might never know the exact cause for certain.
I've never been diagnosed with IBS or Crohns but autoimmune disorders do tend to appear together sometimes, so I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if someday they show up.

Higher fat percentage is suspected of worsening the symptoms of Endometriosis, though, so in the interests of preventing unnecessary suffering I do watch my weight quite carefully. But, in the end, it's all about ignoring the pain you can't fix and enjoying the moment of living in Japan, the land of sushi and sakura.

p.s. oh forgot the mention, the implant itself is very discreet and most of the time I completely forget it's there. The implantation procedure is fast and in-office, your arm will be swollen and bruised for a few days, and then it'll probably feel like nothing is there unless you actually palpate the spot.

singinglupines
April 8th, 2015, 23:36
With contacts, are they really strict about not bringing too much in? How will they know if you wear dailies/biweeklies/monthlies and need different amounts.

weepinbell
April 8th, 2015, 23:54
With contacts, are they really strict about not bringing too much in? How will they know if you wear dailies/biweeklies/monthlies and need different amounts.

All I know is with contacts, you can bring a year supply with yakkan shoumei. I just bought a year's worth of biweeklies to bring with me, so I'm just waiting on the paperwork. I would assume the limit pertains to the type of contact lense it is? Anyone know for sure?

singinglupines
April 9th, 2015, 00:46
All I know is with contacts, you can bring a year supply with yakkan shoumei. I just bought a year's worth of biweeklies to bring with me, so I'm just waiting on the paperwork. I would assume the limit pertains to the type of contact lense it is? Anyone know for sure?
Hm, okay. I meant without yakkan shoumei. I just find it weird that it's so regulated.

word
April 9th, 2015, 00:47
I just find it weird that it's so regulated.

You'll find yourself saying this all too often in Japan.

weepinbell
April 9th, 2015, 01:44
Hm, okay. I meant without yakkan shoumei. I just find it weird that it's so regulated.

Yep, exactly why I made this thread lol. In the 2015 handbook, it says 1mo for contacts without yakkan shoumei. It looks like that's standard for most prescriptions... that's why I'm trying to just get year supplies right now, so that I don't have to pay to ship stuff monthly or fill our yakken shoumei every time my 3 month refills would come in...

Perilwink
April 9th, 2015, 02:34
Out of curiosity, does your handbook/consulate say anything about where to actually find Yakkan Shoumei forms? My handbook alludes to turning them into the Atlanta consulate and even refers to a sample form, but doesn't include the form or even a link on where to find it. I only found it directly on the Ministry of Health, Labour, Welfare website, but their form wants me to mail it somewhere in Japan.

naginataonthebrain
April 9th, 2015, 02:51
Double check w/the JET coordinator. Last time I had to fill out a Yakkan Shoumei, I had to send it directly to Japan, not through a consulate. Maybe the ATL consulate just wants to save us the hassle and will do it for us instead...*shrugs*

singinglupines
April 9th, 2015, 03:28
Yep, exactly why I made this thread lol. In the 2015 handbook, it says 1mo for contacts without yakkan shoumei. It looks like that's standard for most prescriptions... that's why I'm trying to just get year supplies right now, so that I don't have to pay to ship stuff monthly or fill our yakken shoumei every time my 3 month refills would come in...

I have a two year's supply already purchased. There was a sale/extra hsa money and my eyesight doesn't change. So I guess I will have to figure out this form.

When I brought a big supply to Australia, they saw it in my x-rayed checked luggage and thought the contacts were pills! I had to dig them out. No restrictions there though as long as it wasn't meds ha.

hypatia
April 9th, 2015, 04:00
Double check w/the JET coordinator. Last time I had to fill out a Yakkan Shoumei, I had to send it directly to Japan, not through a consulate. Maybe the ATL consulate just wants to save us the hassle and will do it for us instead...*shrugs*

Definitely check in with your coordinator if you are thinking about doing this. Because of the time it normally takes to process the yakkan shoumei there is an expedited process for JETs, and you mail it to a different address than normal. Then once the paperwork is processed they send it back to your coordinator (rather than to you). This way they know to be on the lookout for it. Mine gave me the paperwork at the Pre-Departure orientation the day before we left.

Re: contacts - technically you're supposed to fill out a yakkan shoumei if you're bringing more than a month's supply. However. I filled my yakkan shoumei out for the medicine but didn't even mention the contacts. When you arrive at Narita you are arriving with a couple thousand other JETs. They simply don't have the time to go through everything with a fine toothed comb. When I got off, the customs people were like "oh, is this you? (They had my name on a list). Do you have your paperwork? (I showed them my processed yakkan shoumei paperwork). This is what you have in your bag? Ok, go ahead"

Having read other peoples' experiences I knew there was a good chance this could happen, but I didn't want to take a gamble and not fill out the paperwork and then possibly be caught and not be able to bring my medicine into the country.

/edit/ the entire process and all relevant information is outlined in the JET General Information Handbook, pg 25 under the heading "1.4.7. Medication, Medical Products, Cosmetics, and Medical Equipment"

http://www.jetprogramme.org/documents/pubs/gih2015_e.pdf

singinglupines
April 9th, 2015, 06:33
I wouldn't have anything else that would need a yakkan shoumei.

I was wondering what customs is like and whether they check everything. Aussie was the only place where everyone's luggage had to go through x-ray machines. Hardcore, but I figured it was an island country so more worries?

Perilwink
April 9th, 2015, 06:53
Definitely check in with your coordinator if you are thinking about doing this. Because of the time it normally takes to process the yakkan shoumei there is an expedited process for JETs, and you mail it to a different address than normal. Then once the paperwork is processed they send it back to your coordinator (rather than to you). This way they know to be on the lookout for it. Mine gave me the paperwork at the Pre-Departure orientation the day before we left.

Will do then, thanks! Just thought I'd double check as the way it's all phrased sounds like it's supposed to be there... it just isn't. I definitely want to get a start on that now. Whether or not my insurance will actually let me get a year's worth--we'll just have to see!

webstaa
April 9th, 2015, 08:14

Well, gotta keep people from black marketing non-inspected lenses somehow....