PDA

View Full Version : Married before JET Program?

Toki
April 7th, 2015, 05:43
Hey everyone I'm having a hard time finding and answer so just wanted to check here. I'm planning on getting married on July 18th and I'm in group B departure so I leave August 1. I'm worried this date is too late for all the paperwork that has to be done for the dependent VISA?? I got by packet of deadlines and they want my VISA from on July 10th. Our plan is to have my husband-to-be join me in Japan, but not until January. I have emailed my coordinator to ask, but want to know if anyone else knew anything about getting married down to the wire before departure.

Thanks!!! :)

miamicoordinator
April 7th, 2015, 06:23
Hey everyone I'm having a hard time finding and answer so just wanted to check here. I'm planning on getting married on July 18th and I'm in group B departure so I leave August 1. I'm worried this date is too late for all the paperwork that has to be done for the dependent VISA?? I got by packet of deadlines and they want my VISA from on July 10th. Our plan is to have my husband-to-be join me in Japan, but not until January. I have emailed my coordinator to ask, but want to know if anyone else knew anything about getting married down to the wire before departure.

Thanks!!! :)

Definitely wait till you hear back from your coordinator. Each consulate has their own visa section, and each section has their own rules, and way of doing things.
What you will need to do be in touch with your contracting organization(when they contact you) and let them know if your plans. It is your Board of Education that will be sponsoring you and your future spouse. They are the ones who send the information to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who then sends each Consulate a list approved people for visas (spouses included). I will be frank and tell you that you are really cutting it close, but it should technically be ok as long as your coordinator, and your Board of Education all know what your plans are. Visas normally take about 4-5 business days to process in most Consulates, so if you get married on the 18th and submit your marriage license to the Consulate and your Board of Education by the 20th, you should be able to have your spouses visa done by the 25th, which is still a week before departure.

The key here will be communication between your BoE, and your coordinator. Good luck!

word
April 7th, 2015, 08:50
Whatever you do, GET MARRIED BEFORE YOU LEAVE.

MG and I are the poster children for doing this the wrong way--we didn't get married before I left, she came over as a tourist, we got married here, we went about trying to keep her in the country legally, it turned into a massive mess of bureaucracy and paperwork, involving multiple trips to immigration and the ever-present chance that her application would be denied and she would be forced to return home...

If we'd gotten married before we left--even if it had just been on paper, even if it had been the day before I flew out--everything would've been a lot easier in the long run.

alternate
April 7th, 2015, 11:19
In my personal situation I have thought about doing this marriage thing before leaving for Japan in response to placement. If I was placed where there was no possibility for finding a visa any other way then I would have went to the court house and signed the papers to get married to my girlfriend. However, some things make me not want to get married at the time being. So, everything is up in the air. Perhaps I am going to do it all the hard way. I'll reply to this post in the future or something if something like this happens. Haha

uthinkimlost?
April 7th, 2015, 11:26
In my personal situation I have thought about doing this marriage thing before leaving for Japan in response to placement. If I was placed where there was no possibility for finding a visa any other way then I would have went to the court house and signed the papers to get married to my girlfriend. However, some things make me not want to get married at the time being. So, everything is up in the air. Perhaps I am going to do it all the hard way. I'll reply to this post in the future or something if something like this happens. Haha

The odds of getting a placement where the Missus could get a job in the immediate vicinity that would provide a visa are pretty damn slim.

However, some things make me not want to get married at the time being.

Too bad ini's not here. He'd know just what was holding you back.

word
April 7th, 2015, 11:35
You don't really understand (that's okay; we didn't, either). It is technically illegal (if you are from the US and several other countries) for your unmarried partner to come over as a tourist and then switch to any kind of visa. Employment visas and dependent visas are supposed to be arranged while the recipient is in their home country. The only reason MG and I were able to do this is because of a vague loophole in the law. It is rather difficult to take advantage of this loophole and I would not recommend that anyone try it.

Zolrak 22
April 7th, 2015, 12:02
"I know we haven't been dating for long, but would you marry me?

You can leave your horrible life behind and come to Japan with me, trust me you'll love it there."

word
April 7th, 2015, 12:04
I don't mind encouraging people because I enjoy hearing about drama (you know, far away, though, so that it doesn't directly affect me).

Gizmotech
April 7th, 2015, 15:23
If you're getting married on the 18th, like ceremony planned and paid for, just go and get the actual marriage certificate at city hall two weeks earlier and send it off for the visa. Honestly, the ceremony won't be any more hollow because you didn't wait until the end of it to sign the legal document.

word
April 7th, 2015, 15:40
If you're getting married on the 18th, like ceremony planned and paid for, just go and get the actual marriage certificate at city hall two weeks earlier and send it off for the visa. Honestly, the ceremony won't be any more hollow because you didn't wait until the end of it to sign the legal document.

word

Wait, what I meant was

WORD

byakko
May 7th, 2015, 03:45

YES. Gizmo & Word offer sage advice.