PDA

View Full Version : Upload Issues: Am I exceeding the file size limit?

Ebi
April 22nd, 2015, 21:27
I have a quick question. Is there a size limit for the files we can upload and attach to our posts? I've saved a bunch of elementary lessons into a zip file that I want to share, but so far it keeps getting rejected every time I try to upload it. It's not that big, so I'm wondering if the issue is the size or something else. Right now the one I'm trying to upload is about 3.9MB.

Thanks in advance!

word
April 23rd, 2015, 11:58
Possibly? We are a *bit* nervous about hosting large files--the forum is over a decade old and actually uses a lot more data than you might think.

A while back, I'd been looking into increasing the limits for certain users (so that we could get cool lesson ideas but avoid awfulness). I'll hafta pick that back up.

In the meantime, you could use something like Google Drive to get around this! Thanks so much for trying to share it here!

I'll contact you via PM and let you know about the increased file caps if I can figure it out.

-word

BifCarbet
April 23rd, 2015, 12:12
*bit*

hA!!!

Ebi
April 23rd, 2015, 17:34
I can divide them up into smaller zip file if necessary, but it would be easier to keep them grouped together if I can. If I don't split them, the largest file wouldn't exceed 10MB. But I understand the hesitation to increase the limit. Just let me know how big I can make zip files and I'll work around it. ;)

Beer Baron
April 24th, 2015, 21:16
Max file size for zip files is set to a ridiculously high number (1000mb).
There are no other limits in place that I can see within vbulletin

Ebi
April 25th, 2015, 06:08
Huh, then I wonder why my uploads keep failing. I guess I'll try again.

Thanks!

Ebi
April 25th, 2015, 08:50
Well, it's still definitely not working. For one file, I keep getting an error message "The following errors occurred: 5th_Key_Phrase_Cards.zip: Upload of file failed" (it's 6.7MB) and the second one won't even load. It acts like the upload is processing and then abruptly stops, but I don't get an error message. That file is 9.1MB. I think I'll try one last time splitting things up into really small file sizes.

Ebi
April 25th, 2015, 09:18
Odd... So it does work, but only if my file sizes are below 2MB. Anything I try to upload that exceeds that will get me an error message. I'll just chop these up into small zip files then and upload them separately.

Gizmotech
April 25th, 2015, 15:54
What are your php.ini limits bB?

Beer Baron
April 25th, 2015, 23:40
Hmm, looks to have reverted back to 2mb within PHP. I've now upped that to 20mb where we had it before.

There were some updates recently that may have affected that. Try now Ebi please

Ebi
April 26th, 2015, 10:56
Nice, the limit was definitely increased. I uploaded a 4.4MB file and a 6.5MB file with no problems. But I did notice that any file over 9MB still seems to abruptly stop loading. It won't give you an error message, it just stops suddenly. But in any case, I don't plan on uploading any larger files any time soon.

Thanks!

Beer Baron
April 27th, 2015, 03:34
The site went down for 6 hours today and I suspect the PHP.ini change had something to do with it. Before the change, we had a good uptime. I'm going to keep an eye on it.