PDA

View Full Version : Placement Map??

Sherlock
April 26th, 2015, 02:15
One of my favorite things to look at every year while earning my degree before being JET eligible was to look at the Google Map the shortlisters made listing their placements and whether they were 1st/2nd/3rd or none placement requests. Is this still a thing? If so how and where can I get in on it. I always loved seeing those maps and looked forward to joining in when and if I was accepted into JET. Now that I suceeded in getting in I'd like to do it.

If its not going on anymore since the official forum went down want to make an ITIL map of member placements. Just curious.

alternate
April 26th, 2015, 05:13
I second this idea!

One of the things that helped me decide of my placement preferences was being able to see if any JETs were actually placed in a particular area. I'd love to see where everyone this year is going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weepinbell
April 26th, 2015, 05:51
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z7QUPJYLfPkk.kr4Er3txKAZU

singinglupines
April 26th, 2015, 06:59
It is a thing. There's one on fb. Weepinbell linked it.

MandiPanda13
April 26th, 2015, 13:31
Can't wait to see this filled in!

acpc2203
April 26th, 2015, 14:04
Looks neat! Can't wait till I find out where I am placed, any of my preferences would be great.

JestersJ
May 2nd, 2015, 10:53
That's cool! I added myself to the map, 2015 ED

johnny
May 2nd, 2015, 14:48
The only placement that would have been too hard for me was itsabird's placement. He was something like a three hour ferry ride from Okinawa, and the ferry only left so often. So any time he wanted to see the rest of Japan, it would take him a day just to get to Honshu.

BifCarbet
May 2nd, 2015, 14:55
That's really rough, but I once spoke to someone in a similar situation (not nearly that far, but far) who had a pretty understanding and accommodating BOE. This person had 20 days of vacation, and was allowed to travel a bit without using vacation when school was out. Also had totally free housing.

Rythunder
May 7th, 2015, 18:10
I too am an outer islander of Okinawa. Do not be discouraged if you get such a placement! I love it here most of the time. I am excited to see who else gets Okinawa placements this year.

sourdoughsushi
May 7th, 2015, 20:37
I too am an outer islander of Okinawa. Do not be discouraged if you get such a placement! I love it here most of the time. I am excited to see who else gets Okinawa placements this year.

You guys brought Ry out of lurking to give inaka Okinawa some props. It's beautiful. ;-;

weepinbell
May 7th, 2015, 22:48

I think it could be kinda cool to get Okinawa as a placement. I feel like any placement has their positives and setbacks... with Okinawa, I'm sure you've got some seriously beautiful scenery.

acpc2203
May 8th, 2015, 03:57
I think it could be kinda cool to get Okinawa as a placement. I feel like any placement has their positives and setbacks... with Okinawa, I'm sure you've got some seriously beautiful scenery.
The bottom half of the main island is an urban sprawl of ugly concrete buildings. But yeah the north and the smaller islands are really pretty. Just to be ready to endure some real heat on arrival.

Gizmotech
May 8th, 2015, 09:43
We used to have an okinawan on here for a while last year... but they were slowly going squirrelly and I think they may have jumped in the ocean.

johnny
May 8th, 2015, 10:09
That's the person to whom I was referring. I might go crazy if I were him too.

simplesam
May 9th, 2015, 00:44
Does anyone know when the actual placements will be announced or if anyone has started to receive them? I doubt it's the latter because I'm pretty sure I would have seen its all over the forum, lol.

weepinbell
May 9th, 2015, 01:15
Does anyone know when the actual placements will be announced or if anyone has started to receive them? I doubt it's the latter because I'm pretty sure I would have seen its all over the forum, lol.

I've heard people saying next 2 weeks. They told us mid-late May so that'd make sense.

AyaReiko
May 9th, 2015, 13:47
I was told late May to start of June.

Gizmotech
May 9th, 2015, 13:57
I was told tuesday....

squirrelmagnolia
May 9th, 2015, 22:17
I was told tuesday....
seriously?
I have my money down for next week anyhow.

gibbity
May 10th, 2015, 00:10
meh

Saga
May 10th, 2015, 06:30
Tuesday? That seems pretty soon. Then again, they did send out the shortlisted/alternate/rejected e-mails a couple weeks earlier than they had said we could expect them. Maybe since they have fewer incoming ALTs than normal this year things will move along more quickly.

weepinbell
May 10th, 2015, 08:29
Either way, I'm feelin like it's gotta be this week or the next one. So even though the wait is killer, I'm sure it won't be too much longer lol.

Ananasboat
May 10th, 2015, 08:44
Personally hope I find out who is coming to my area. If anyone gets Saga prefecture give me a shoutout.

singinglupines
May 10th, 2015, 08:46
I'm excited! Just so I can finally start clothes shopping (and google stalking). Apparently I own nothing with high necklines, ha.

Ebi
May 10th, 2015, 08:49
Either way, I'm feelin like it's gotta be this week or the next one. So even though the wait is killer, I'm sure it won't be too much longer lol.
The waiting is something you kind of have to get used to and it's a good introduction to how things are done in Japanese schools.

Your future coworkers go through a similar thing every year (or at least in my city they do, ESID). There's a meeting at the end of the school year when they announce who is leaving and where they'll be going. Up until then, the staff will probably only have a vague idea of where they're being reassigned and they're not supposed to share that info, although people talk. And then the whole process of changing workplaces occurs over spring break in a mad dash, and endless series of meetings, to throw together the plan for the whole year.

JETs complain about the slow pace of learning vital information, but that's something people are very used to in Japan since nothing is official until it goes up and down the chain and gets all of the correct hanko stamps.

Sherlock
May 11th, 2015, 13:57
Been researching some of the less famous parts of Japan to pass the time while waiting to hear about placements. Must say there lots of cool prefectures and towns out there I never would have expected. Makes me less concerned about my placement as it seems everyplace has something interesting going for it. Never would have expected Shikoku to be a great surfing spot!

Saga
May 11th, 2015, 17:06
That sounds like fun, Sherlock! I've been keeping myself busy by trawling back through the ITIL archives. There are some pretty good threads!

Regarding placement notifications, one of the coordinators from Chicago just posted that Tokyo hasn't finalized the list yet, so he's guessing we'll hear on the 20th or 21st, maybe.

That takes a load off of my mind! I'll be back in Minnesota by then and will have free time to waste freaking out about and obsessively Googling wherever I get placed.

greyjoy
May 11th, 2015, 19:27
The selections have been made for over a week now, at least in my prefecture. No doubt Tokyo is hard at work making sure the list doesn't blow out an open window, and will get around to sending them to the consulates sometime near mid June.

I feel a little bad that despite all my efforts, I still conflated ananas and sharp in my head. Pineapple is always talking about north Kyushu, so I just assumed she was in Kitakyuushu, instead of nowheresville-ken.

haitch40
May 11th, 2015, 22:49
Delete.

Zolrak 22
May 12th, 2015, 01:37
That's the person to whom I was referring. I might go crazy if I were him too.
Oh man, I miss him.

Poor guy went bonkers. [emoji53]

Ananasboat
May 12th, 2015, 06:33
I feel a little bad that despite all my efforts, I still conflated ananas and sharp in my head. Pineapple is always talking about north Kyushu, so I just assumed she was in Kitakyuushu, instead of nowheresville-ken.

I actually haven't made it up there yet. Its not like I'm far away or anything though so I'm just being silly. But don't feel too bad about it, I like where I am.

Zolrak 22
May 12th, 2015, 06:37
Sharp is the fish werewolf.

Ana is the pineapple with a heart of gold. [emoji75]

JET ProgramCoordinator SF
May 12th, 2015, 07:13
Last year's announcement went out next week's Friday's 2014 equivalent. Usually we can get it out to everyone within a couple of days of getting the list from Tokyo. They're generally pretty consistent year to year, so people should expect to hear their placements sometime around that same time this year too (next Friday).

quis
May 12th, 2015, 07:17
According to the awful Incoming JETs 2015 group, someone already found out their placement because someone from their future BoE contacted them through Facebook.

Not too long until the rest of us find out our fate.

weepinbell
May 12th, 2015, 07:45
^^^ yea I was just gonna comment on that... Now that we know SOMEone knows we're all gonna go crazy this week waiting lol. But like the poster said, that might only mean some places are finalized anyway so it's not like the mass list would've been sent to consulates yet... I guess I'm gonna keep anticipating next week so I don't go crazy haha.

haitch40
May 12th, 2015, 08:19
Out of interest. What is the chance of getting a placement you want.

And because you will all give me the they try but etc I want bookies odds.

BifCarbet
May 12th, 2015, 08:23
Ignoring the obvious fact that you could request a place with 30 openings or a place with 0, I did a crude calculation and came up with 20/1.
If you request "Tohoku" it goes to 2/1. If you request a certain town or a certain city, it's not that good.

acpc2203
May 12th, 2015, 08:33
Apparently Hawaii has strong links to it's sister cities/prefectures in terms of JET placements, as the former JETs I've talked to said Hawaii people were pretty concentrated around those areas. Gives me a bit more hope I'll get one of my placements.

Fantasylife
May 12th, 2015, 10:22
^^^ yea I was just gonna comment on that... Now that we know SOMEone knows we're all gonna go crazy this week waiting lol. But like the poster said, that might only mean some places are finalized anyway so it's not like the mass list would've been sent to consulates yet... I guess I'm gonna keep anticipating next week so I don't go crazy haha.

I keep jumping at every email I get. I hear that "ding, ding" alert on my phone and i'm like "Is this it? Is this it??" But the waiting is a bit fun. Not nearly as stressful as waiting to hear about shortlist status at least :P

Saga
May 12th, 2015, 11:18
I think it also depends on how popular the place is that you requested. Everyone wants to near Osaka or Tokyo, but relatively few people request places in Shikoku, for instance, since it's not as well known. Obviously, like Bif said, it helps if the place you requested has more available spots.

I'm guessing my own odds at between 1:4 and 1:2. If nothing else, I can be pretty sure I will get my request to be somewhere semi-urban or rural.

Ananasboat
May 12th, 2015, 11:23
I think it also depends on how popular the place is that you requested. Everyone wants to near Osaka or Tokyo, but relatively few people request places in Shikoku, for instance, since it's not as well known. Obviously, like Bif said, it helps if the place you requested has more available spots.

My top request was Shikoku but I didn't get it. You also do compete with a bunch of weird hermit nerds like me when you sign up.

Rythunder
May 12th, 2015, 11:35
Apparently Hawaii has strong links to it's sister cities/prefectures in terms of JET placements, as the former JETs I've talked to said Hawaii people were pretty concentrated around those areas. Gives me a bit more hope I'll get one of my placements.
There are quite a few Hawaiian JETs in Okinawa. I don't know about other prefectures though.

Virgil
May 12th, 2015, 11:39
Out of interest. What is the chance of getting a placement you want.

And because you will all give me the they try but etc I want bookies odds.

To get an idea for how little it matters - consider my situation...

I requested several areas in Kyushu. I was an alternate though. Still ended up in Kyushu through upgrade. I'm positive that my request was not considered, it was just luck of the draw.

Saga
May 12th, 2015, 11:52
Huh, interesting! I always thought the odds for Shikoku/Kyushu would be really good, as I hadn't met anyone before who'd requested them. I know about 15 people from my university who applied this year - about half had no preference, one person wanted Hokkaido, and everyone else put Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto. Likewise, among my friends currently doing JET, none of them requested a spot outside of Honshu. But if they don't consider your preferences much (and I know they don't) requests aren't all that meaningful. Oh well, I have the potential to be happy in any location, so it doesn't matter much where I end up.

Gizmotech
May 12th, 2015, 11:59
I requested kyushu. I got tohoku.

Jet choices are just bs.

acpc2203
May 12th, 2015, 12:22
There are quite a few Hawaiian JETs in Okinawa. I don't know about other prefectures though.
One of the sister cities is Naha. I've heard that is the case about all the sister cities except Tokyo.

Sherlock
May 12th, 2015, 12:31
I'd give myself a 15% chance of getting my specific top placment request. I requested a small city in Honshu that most people who even know a decent amount about Japan probably haven't heard of, let alone find it on a map. its just whether the city has openings, if I match the base profile they're looking for, and no one else wants to go there.
I'm happy that I at least requested my "ideal" placement. Never been there so theres a chance I might hate it if I get it and have only myself to thank for it.

Besides my top request I only utilized my other placement requests to try and avoid Hokkaido, Okinawa, and random islands I might get if I put no preference.

Gizmotech
May 12th, 2015, 13:11
I'd give myself a 15% chance of getting my specific top placment request. I requested a small city in Honshu that most people who even know a decent amount about Japan probably haven't heard of, let alone find it on a map. its just whether the city has openings, if I match the base profile they're looking for, and no one else wants to go there.
I'm happy that I at least requested my "ideal" placement. Never been there so theres a chance I might hate it if I get it and have only myself to thank for it.

Besides my top request I only utilized my other placement requests to try and avoid Hokkaido, Okinawa, and random islands I might get if I put no preference.

You are soo getting the Tokyo island placement down in the pacific that takes a day by boat to get on and off of the island.

sourdoughsushi
May 12th, 2015, 13:32
I live in a town of 47k people, decreasing by the day. 3 ALTs are leaving, fiance requested here. I'm preparing to drop a brick when reason means nothing and he ends up in Okinawa.

x_stei
May 12th, 2015, 14:27
I had given up on actually being placed near any of my requests, but because I know placement announcements are coming soon and people have been talking non-stop, my hopes of getting my #1 choice has risen.

Ugh.

If the last few months of my life were of any indication, people would think that my favourite pastime is waiting...

*goes crazy*

Virgil
May 12th, 2015, 15:02
You are soo getting the Tokyo island placement down in the pacific that takes a day by boat to get on and off of the island.

Pretty sure there is a position like this opening up. Heard the guy that was there before maybe wasn't doing so well health wise... Yikes.

Zolrak 22
May 12th, 2015, 15:09
Pretty sure there is a position like this opening up. Heard the guy that was there before maybe wasn't doing so well health wise... Yikes.
I'm afraid to ask how you know that. [emoji14]

frayedflower
May 12th, 2015, 15:33
I honestly don't care if I get my first choice or not, I just a) want to be able to start getting excited for where I'm going and get some better idea of how to prepare [especially financially], and b) to be able to answer people when they ask me where I'm going. When I was post-interview stage, sure, I got questions about whether I was accepted yet or not - that happened like one a week or so and was completely tolerable because it was easy to forget all about it. Now I get asked at least once a day (usually more) if I know where I'm going or not yet.

quis
May 12th, 2015, 17:04

YOU'VE CURSED US! Someone on ITIL is going to get that placement this year and it is totally your fault.

hypatia
May 12th, 2015, 19:54

Yeah, I heard from my BOE who's replacing the other ALT in our town this week, but I'm not sure when they're going to find out.

singinglupines
May 12th, 2015, 22:04
I honestly don't care if I get my first choice or not, I just a) want to be able to start getting excited for where I'm going and get some better idea of how to prepar

Same. I just requested random places near my Japanese friends (Osaka, Nagoya) and then where my cousin studied abroad (Shizuoka) because she loved it. Without having been to Japan, there's no way I could have preference for any specific place.

Gizmotech
May 12th, 2015, 22:06
I asked my Japanese friend to chose my places. I said to him "no snow" and Sapporo. I ended up I the arse hole of the Japanese transit network. I love my life.

Mechking
May 12th, 2015, 22:48
YOU'VE CURSED US! Someone on ITIL is going to get that placement this year and it is totally your fault.
Now we get to see how lucky we all are.

*dons Clint Eastwood voice* You feelin' lucky punk?

Sherlock
May 12th, 2015, 22:53

Could be. I realize that placement requests really have little influence on where you go unless you have compelling reasons. Still I at least like the idea I have some small say in where I go.

BifCarbet
May 13th, 2015, 00:27
Without having been to Japan, there's no way I could have preference for any specific place.

Yet, so many people arbitrarily pick a city (Fukuoka/Tokyo) and start getting really worried that they're not going to get it.

texxaport
May 13th, 2015, 00:41
Yet, so many people arbitrarily pick a city (Fukuoka/Tokyo) and start getting really worried that they're not going to get it.

And if people looked on the placement info pdf on the JET site they'd know that Fukuoka City doesn't hire ALTs...

I know a couple people who basically threw away their requests by doing something like that.

weepinbell
May 13th, 2015, 01:03
Lol I threw away my requests into the Osaka/Kyoto pool, mostly because I come from a sister city of one and Idk.... Kansai looks pretty chill... Never been to Japan though, so I honestly don't have much of a preference? I'm just really antsy at this point to start Wikapedia-ing my placement. :P

texxaport
May 13th, 2015, 01:11
Lol I threw away my requests into the Osaka/Kyoto pool, mostly because I come from a sister city of one and Idk.... Kansai looks pretty chill... Never been to Japan though, so I honestly don't have much of a preference? I'm just really antsy at this point to start Wikapedia-ing my placement. :P

Absolutely! Even if I just know the prefecture I have so many things I want to look up. Namely where all the airports are and what the assortment of flights from them is. Oh and regional foods... That's an important one.

BifCarbet
May 13th, 2015, 02:15
I'm just really antsy at this point to start Wikapedia-ing my placement. :P

Here's hoping you get a notable place with good info.

MandiPanda13
May 13th, 2015, 03:15
I honestly don't care if I get my first choice or not, I just a) want to be able to start getting excited for where I'm going and get some better idea of how to prepare [especially financially], and b) to be able to answer people when they ask me where I'm going. When I was post-interview stage, sure, I got questions about whether I was accepted yet or not - that happened like one a week or so and was completely tolerable because it was easy to forget all about it. Now I get asked at least once a day (usually more) if I know where I'm going or not yet.Story of my life.

BifCarbet
May 13th, 2015, 03:40
Story of my life.

Best song ever.

MandiPanda13
May 13th, 2015, 03:56
Best song ever.
Haha not where I was going wth it, but sure we can go that way too lol

texxaport
May 13th, 2015, 04:01
Haha not where I was going wth it, but sure we can go that way too lol

Go Your Own Way?

Verbatim
May 13th, 2015, 05:31
Go Your Own Way?

*echoes softly* go your own waaay

naginataonthebrain
May 13th, 2015, 12:03
*Fleetwood Mac silently shakes their head in shame*

Virgil
May 13th, 2015, 16:47
*Fleetwood Mac silently shakes their head in shame*
Their collective head?

ambrosse
May 13th, 2015, 23:53
Irish JET folk are starting to get their placements!

naginataonthebrain
May 14th, 2015, 00:08
Arrrrgh that Irish guy got Kitakyushu as a placement. Lucky bastard.

weepinbell
May 14th, 2015, 00:11
Are you serious ahhhhhh this is gonna make it even worse if it takes another week for us Amurrcans haha! It's happening though so that's excitng....

Edit: Ooh wait, this means all the consulates must have the finalized lists then, right? Crossing my fingers for soon... everyone's gonna be going crazy tonight in class either way lol.

squirrelmagnolia
May 14th, 2015, 00:15
We got OKINAWA!!! 1st reqest! Woo-hoo!! (out of Miami) cause MC is AWESOME!!

Perilwink
May 14th, 2015, 00:23
Congrats SquirrelMagnolia! That's so exciting, top choice even!

In other news, I got two mass emails from Atlanta JET last night about forms we don't need to turn in yet. It was a spark of hope that was slowly crushed... but on the plus side, still being on the mass email list must mean they received my acceptance form no problem!

weepinbell
May 14th, 2015, 00:33
AHHH it's happening!!! Congrats!!! :)

gibbity
May 14th, 2015, 00:40

grats bud. Very exciting!

BifCarbet
May 14th, 2015, 00:40
Did you ask if they received it? I have sent my coordinator confirmation requests twice, and both times the person was more than willing to let me know what they'd received.

Perilwink
May 14th, 2015, 01:01
Atlanta seems to have their hands full, and I don't have any concerns founded in reality that it never arrived--I had a tracking number that confirmed it arrived forever ago. I think I just didn't expect this wait for placements to bother me as much as it did.

naginataonthebrain
May 14th, 2015, 01:12
Atlanta seems to have their hands full, and I don't have any concerns founded in reality that it never arrived--I had a tracking number that confirmed it arrived forever ago. I think I just didn't expect this wait for placements to bother me as much as it did.

Yeah, pretty sure they are slammed. Before turning in my acceptance forms, the ATL coordinator responded to email/fb inquiries within a couple of hours of posting. Last week, I sent her an email regarding the yakkan shoumei and it took her several days to respond back. It also seems like all the shortlisters from the ATL accepted the offer because there haven't been any upgrades from our consulate. We'll see when people hear back about placements.

singinglupines
May 14th, 2015, 03:07
First round out for Nashville! I don't have mine yet probably because I was upgraded.

acpc2203
May 14th, 2015, 03:25
First round out for Nashville! I don't have mine yet probably because I was upgraded.
They already sent out placements? Guess I should expect mine pretty soon.

miamicoordinator
May 14th, 2015, 03:43
They already sent out placements? Guess I should expect mine pretty soon.

We just received placements this morning, but please remember that JET is only part of our jobs at the Consulate. We often time have our hands full with multiple other projects so some of the coordinators will not be able to get placements out to you for a couple of days. Please be patient.

x_stei
May 14th, 2015, 03:52
We just received placements this morning, but please remember that JET is only part of our jobs at the Consulate. We often time have our hands full with multiple other projects so some of the coordinators will not be able to get placements out to you for a couple of days. Please be patient.

Great to know that placement information is coming in now. Wonder when Canadians will find out.

acpc2203
May 14th, 2015, 04:00
Yeah I figure I'm going to get mine on the later side just due to the time zone.

Saga
May 14th, 2015, 04:06
I wonder if all of the US consulates have received their placement lists yet, or just some of them... Well, looks Like I'll be checking my e-mail obsessively for the next few days, eta least!

moonbeam
May 14th, 2015, 04:11
DC sent an email a few days ago saying that placements come in waves. Here's hoping I get one of the first waves cause I'm going nuts waiting.

Saga
May 14th, 2015, 04:14
Oh really? Interesting! I hope I find out soon too.

I'm looking forward to hearing where everyone is headed!

MandiPanda13
May 14th, 2015, 04:16
Something to look forward to this week! Excited to hear where everyone else is going too!

miamicoordinator
May 14th, 2015, 04:20
I wonder if all of the US consulates have received their placement lists yet, or just some of them... Well, looks Like I'll be checking my e-mail obsessively for the next few days, eta least!

People who were originally shortlisted received their placements today. If you were upgraded(even the day after), your placement did not come in most likely.

All of the U.S. consualtes received the lists today, but many will not be able to inform their participants immediately because of other responsibilities at the office.

moonbeam
May 14th, 2015, 04:25
If you were upgraded(even the day after), your placement did not come in most likely.

Nooooo.

Oh well.

Lorenzo
May 14th, 2015, 04:38
Doesn't look like anyone from the UK has heard anything yet. No doubt the embassy will decide to let us know by snail mail, too.

Saga
May 14th, 2015, 05:27
Looks like most short-listers from Chicago will be hearing this afternoon, according to the FB group. The coordinator did say that alternates and some short-listers are still being placed, though.

Seriously, how on Earth am I supposed to focus on studying for my Japanese final tomorrow with this news hanging over me?!

Fantasylife
May 14th, 2015, 05:43
Looks like most short-listers from Chicago will be hearing this afternoon, according to the FB group. The coordinator did say that alternates and some short-listers are still being placed, though.

Seriously, how on Earth am I supposed to focus on studying for my Japanese midterm tomorrow with this news hanging over me?!

Here we go!

Maybe we should get a placement thread going.

singinglupines
May 14th, 2015, 05:50
If you were upgraded(even the day after), your placement did not come in most likely.

Ah, yup. A day after with no placement. Our coordinator said up to a few weeks.

Virgil
May 14th, 2015, 08:15
Arrrrgh that Irish guy got Kitakyushu as a placement. Lucky bastard.
KitaQ? Lucky? I always saw that city as the Saitama of Fukuoka.

Bdn197
May 14th, 2015, 11:23
I was all excited until I didn't get my placement with everyone else. How long does it normally take for upgrades to get theirs?

uthinkimlost?
May 14th, 2015, 11:24
I was all excited until I didn't get my placement with everyone else. How long does it normally take for upgrades to get theirs?

It depends on when you were upgraded.

Saga
May 14th, 2015, 11:31
I know ESID, but about how long should one generally expect to wait before hearing from our CO/pred and finding out what grade level we'll be teaching? How long did it take you guys to find out?

Of course, now that I'm finally able to tell people where I'll be going, they've already started asking what age students I'll be teaching! Should I brace myself for days of this? Weeks? A month?

uthinkimlost?
May 14th, 2015, 11:34
If you were told a city/region, you are likely ES or JHS. If you were told a prefecture, SHS is pretty likely.

BifCarbet
May 14th, 2015, 11:36
It's possible that you won't get concrete information until even July, so I wouldn't wait as hard as you did for placement.

soh
May 14th, 2015, 11:37
I know ESID, but about how long should one generally expect to wait before hearing from our CO/pred and finding out what grade level we'll be teaching? How long did it take you guys to find out?

Of course, now that I'm finally able to tell people where I'll be going, they've already started asking what age students I'll be teaching! Should I brace myself for days of this? Weeks? A month?
in 2013
shortlisted: April 11
placement email: May 23
Documents from CO: June 20
Contact from predecessor: June 22 - That was when I found out what my job duties were.

Saga
May 14th, 2015, 11:44
Thanks for the info, guys!

That sounds like it could be a bit of a wait then, huh? Okay, good! That's actually a bit of a relief... I don't need to worry about it or obsess over my inbox, then!

Gizmotech
May 14th, 2015, 12:00
Ya, also keep in mind that in some cases your pred will be prohibited from contacting you, or they're super busy with packing up their life and fucking off.

Saga
May 14th, 2015, 12:26
Very true, Gizmo. Heck, I'm just hoping I have a pred!

And I just realized (thanks to the placement FAQ that I overlooked earlier) that my C.O. is the city, not the prefecture, so that likely means that I'll most likely be teaching JHS/ES. I requested HS, but I'm currently working at an elementary school and absolutely love it, so I'm pretty happy about that. I'm thinking that younger students might be more enthusiastic about English and ES lessons would be really fun to plan. Here's hoping I won't be assigned to 20 schools or anything like that!

I kind of guessed during my interview because they kept asking if I was SURE I wanted to teach HS... And I kind of waffled on my answer because I wanted to make it clear to them that I was willing to teach any age range. They seemed to think I would be good with younger kids because I was freakishly genki. At one point, my facial muscles literally started twitching from fatique because I had been smiling so hard the whole interview. Luckily, they all looked down exactly at that moment to take notes on what I'd just said and I managed to recover before they looked up.

Gizmotech
May 14th, 2015, 12:41
Well there are also FAR less SHS spots compare to ES/JHS spots in the country. A city like mine (100k) filters 24 ES -> 8JHS -> 3 SHS (6 if you count the privates that don't use JET). Now replicate that distribution pattern across the country and getting a SHS job is far less likely than a JHS/ES job.

Ebi
May 14th, 2015, 20:56
Ya, also keep in mind that in some cases your pred will be prohibited from contacting you, or they're super busy with packing up their life and fucking off.
This is the case with my city. We're forbidden from contacting our successors until we're given the go-ahead which doesn't happen until at least June. It can be a frustrating wait for both sides, but it will all go by pretty quickly.

This year I can relax a bit since I don't have a pred coming, but last year someone was moving into my apartment so I needed to know ASAP what furniture I could leave and what I needed to trash. (I moved in with my husband, so I had some duplicates I wanted to leave.) Thankfully my successor was really nice so I made sure to leave my apartment squeaky clean for them.

Bdn197
May 14th, 2015, 22:38
It depends on when you were upgraded.

I was upgraded two weeks ago, which is like 4 weeks after the initial short listers. So I guess I have around 4 weeks to wait.

Mechking
May 14th, 2015, 23:25
Apparently the British consulate haven't got their placement lists yet so it is looking like the end of next week at the earliest for us. This wait is a lot more agonizing than I anticipated.

Gizmotech
May 14th, 2015, 23:48
This is the case with my city. We're forbidden from contacting our successors until we're given the go-ahead which doesn't happen until at least June. It can be a frustrating wait for both sides, but it will all go by pretty quickly.

This year I can relax a bit since I don't have a pred coming, but last year someone was moving into my apartment so I needed to know ASAP what furniture I could leave and what I needed to trash. (I moved in with my husband, so I had some duplicates I wanted to leave.) Thankfully my successor was really nice so I made sure to leave my apartment squeaky clean for them.

I was actually really referencing an alt I knew who was completed prohibited from contacting his press because he was such a colossal fuck up. It fell on the teachers only to contact him (even though he had a coworker at the same school ) to make contact because of how much of an idiot he was.

Ebi
May 14th, 2015, 23:51
I was upgraded two weeks ago, which is like 4 weeks after the initial short listers. So I guess I have around 4 weeks to wait.
I don't think it works out exactly like that, but yes you will need to wait a bit. I was upgraded really quickly after short-listers were announced, less than 2 weeks I think? But my placement info was delayed for a while. I'm really happy with where I ended up though, so don't stress too much about it. :) The wait will be over before you know it!

Ebi
May 14th, 2015, 23:55
I was actually really referencing an alt I knew who was completed prohibited from contacting his press because he was such a colossal fuck up. It fell on the teachers only to contact him (even though he had a coworker at the same school ) to make contact because of how much of an idiot he was.
Yikes! Well... Sometimes it's actually good to not have a lot of contact with your pred. Their opinion can really color your view before you arrive and experience it for yourself. When we switch schools we get a chance to read reports written by other ALTs and I know a lot of people felt deceived because the ALT wrote a very rosy-tinted review or else were extremely negative about it. A healthy amount of skepticism about whatever your pred says is probably wise.

Gizmotech
May 14th, 2015, 23:57
Yikes! Well... Sometimes it's actually good to not have a lot of contact with your pred. Their opinion can really color your view before you arrive and experience it for yourself. When we switch schools we get a chance to read reports written by other ALTs and I know a lot of people felt deceived because the ALT wrote a very rosy-tinted review or else were extremely negative about it. A healthy amount of skepticism about whatever your pred says is probably wise.

I totally agree. My press impression of teachers and the school colored my view of things for the better part of six months until u figured out this work (far less of a problem when you're traveling all the time as opposed to base school

BifCarbet
May 15th, 2015, 00:34

My pred was very helpful and totally set me up, so I assumed he was awesome. But he also told me my roommates were the best people ever (they were spiteful and controlling), the ALT-friendly school nurse was a psycho (she's literally everyone's best friend and the sweetest person ever), and that K JHS was "South-Central Hell, I used the rest of my nenkyuu to skip those days" (ALT paradise where a parade of kids cried and hugged me in the office on my last day).

Pick out the facts and toss aside the opinions, newbies.

Sherlock
May 15th, 2015, 01:06
Recieved an email from my consulate telling me my placement info has not arrived yet. As an upgraded ALT I'm not suprised. Said I'll likely know by early June but no promises there. Wish I was in this wave of placements as all the ITIL posters have gotten decent home island placements who requested them.

Back to the waiting game.

weepinbell
May 15th, 2015, 01:27
So I guess in Osaka it's all ES/JHS... I'm really excited because that's what I wanted, but I bet it'll be a handful haha. Gonna have to get my energy up..

texxaport
May 15th, 2015, 01:28
Still no news in Canada yet... :(

Fantasylife
May 15th, 2015, 01:36
So I guess in Osaka it's all ES/JHS... I'm really excited because that's what I wanted, but I bet it'll be a handful haha. Gonna have to get my energy up..

Apparently prefectural JET's work primarily in SHS. Not what I wanted, but I'm not too upset. It might actually turn out to be the best thing for me. What does suck is knowing I might have to wait a little longer than everyone else to find out where I'm living. But we've been on a lucky streak so far in terms of finding out results/placements. Fingers crossed that trend will continue.

weepinbell
May 15th, 2015, 01:41
Apparently prefectural JET's work primarily in SHS. Not what I wanted, but I'm not too upset. It might actually turn out to be the best thing for me. What does suck is knowing I might have to wait a little longer than everyone else to find out where I'm living. But we've been on a lucky streak so far in terms of finding out results/placements. Fingers crossed that trend will continue.

What'll be cool about that though is that you might get kids with higher language ability (if not, at least better than EHS lol), so there's more room for conversations and stuff.

Fantasylife
May 15th, 2015, 01:46
What'll be cool about that though is that you might get kids with higher language ability (if not, at least better than EHS lol), so there's more room for conversations and stuff.

True... And I do wanna learn some bad Japanese words, so there you go :P

BifCarbet
May 15th, 2015, 02:02

I taught in two high schools, but they were all girls. My favorite thing about being in high school is you get to see what your students become. You can actually make good friendships with kids. I've even met a couple of them in America on their college graduation trips.
They have part-time jobs around town, and they can talk about mature things with you. I really enjoyed it.

gibbity
May 15th, 2015, 02:06
I taught in two high schools, but they were all girls. My favorite thing about being in high school is you get to see what your students become. You can actually make good friendships with kids. I've even met a couple of them in America on their college graduation trips.
They have part-time jobs around town, and they can talk about mature things with you. I really enjoyed it.

this. As much as i would LOVE to just dance and sing around with ES kids, or do goofy games with prizes for JHS, SHS has a pretty big list of pros too in the 'actually connect/communicate to people' category.

BifCarbet
May 15th, 2015, 02:46
this. As much as i would LOVE to just dance and sing around with ES kids, or do goofy games with prizes for JHS, SHS has a pretty big list of pros too in the 'actually connect/communicate to people' category.

HUGE list of pros. I was a JHS/ES ALT for my first year and got moved downtown. I was really nervous about going into SHS, and it was awesome. Way better, imo.

NOTE: I feel super vindicated and strong when someone "this"es my post. Happens once a week or so. Thanks gibbs.

acpc2203
May 15th, 2015, 02:53
Just don't expect to be able to have deep conversations in English with your HS students.

Fantasylife
May 15th, 2015, 02:58
Thanks, guys! You're putting me at ease about teaching in SHS. I'm a small thing, about the size of an average teenager, but I'm no pushover. But I thought I might have a bigger presence to younger kids then I would with older ones. I'm sure I'll be nervous in the beginning, but I'll just fake it until I make it.

Zolrak 22
May 15th, 2015, 03:00
but I'll just fake it until I make it.

In other words, live a fantasy life. [emoji75]

BifCarbet
May 15th, 2015, 03:09
Just don't expect to be able to have deep conversations in English with pretty much any pre-university student in Japan.

ftfy

acpc2203
May 15th, 2015, 03:45
ftfy
Even university English majors don't have great English unless they spent a year abroad.

Gizmotech
May 15th, 2015, 07:06

Not true. Osaka is a designated city and has ES/JHS/ and SHS. (designated cities operate like mini states basically)

BifCarbet
May 15th, 2015, 07:12
Not true. Osaka is a designated city and has ES/JHS/ and SHS. (designated cities operate like mini states basically)

Municipal high schools exist in smaller cities too.

webstaa
May 15th, 2015, 08:32
Municipal high schools exist in smaller cities too.

Do non-designated cities control their own HS at the city level BOE or do they go through the prefecture BOE? I live near a designated city and non of the smaller cities around have any HS JET ALTs (mostly direct hire.) Actually I don't even think 3/4 of the HS around my town have ALTs at all...

Gizmotech
May 15th, 2015, 09:01
normal cities SHS are prefectual. designated cities should be city government run. Occasionally there are a few hold over municipal SHS, but I'm pretty sure that concept is being phased out.

There used to be a municipal SHS out here, but it was merged with 3 other prefectual SHS into one super school and the municipal ownership changed (and the employees became prefectual employees.

BifCarbet
May 15th, 2015, 09:59
Is the program expanding by bringing in a lot more HS ALTs? I never really knew any prefectural ALTs, and a lot of people are posting that they are. Maybe it was just something that wasn't really done in my region.

Gizmotech
May 15th, 2015, 10:37
Is the program expanding by bringing in a lot more HS ALTs? I never really knew any prefectural ALTs, and a lot of people are posting that they are. Maybe it was just something that wasn't really done in my region.

Not that I know of. It's expanding city alts for the new ES programs that started (and will start soon) and Tokyo is bringing in a few hundred to get ALTs in all the schools.

It's likely a regional thing to be honest.