PDA

View Full Version : Help! Wooden floor problem

skc2014
April 29th, 2015, 04:56
Hello! I recently scratched my floor and was wondering the estimated costs for fixing 5 tiles worth. I don't want my landlord involved if possible. Thanks!

word
April 29th, 2015, 08:56
Depends on a lot of things, but you probably don't hafta involve the landlord if you don't wanna. I did some repair work in my last house with some tools and materials from the local hardware store, and it must've worked well, 'cause I got my entire deposit back.

johnny
April 29th, 2015, 11:36
Yeah, I badly messed up some of my flooring. It's just cheap panels that can be snapped in and out though. I assume it's easy to fix.

skc2014
April 29th, 2015, 12:45
Thank you word and Johnny for your input! Word, I have a question. What were the tools that you used and was it difficult to do the repair? I think they may be easy pop out wooden panels, but I'm not actually sure.

word
April 30th, 2015, 09:05
For the problems I had? Sandpaper, cleaner, stain, and polish. I had these nice wooden posts and window sills that were completely cat-clawed (pretty deeply; the wood was quite soft). Also replaced shoji paper, wallpaper, fixed a glass cabinet door that'd fallen off its hinges, and filled in a bunch of thumbtack holes with toothpaste. I guess that involved a utility knife, glue, a screwdriver, etc. Just your standard home repair crap.

You're probably looking at laminate flooring; it's extraordinarily common in Japan as it's cheap and easy to install quickly. Just look up "laminate flooring repair" and you'll get all sorts of information! One of the guides will probably have something applicable to your particular situation. You don't necessarily need a lot of woodworking equipment. Hell, they sell these brown "crayons" to cover up scratches in wood, along with all sorts of other stuff.

johnny
April 30th, 2015, 11:20
I have damaged flooring, so thanks Word!

uthinkimlost?
April 30th, 2015, 11:33
You don't necessarily need a lot of woodworking equipment. Hell, they sell these brown "crayons" to cover up scratches in wood, along with all sorts of other stuff.

These plus the spackle and wax they sell in Daiso will take you far. However, if you're not a good artist and the gouge/scratch is super wide, call in the local crafty person or arts major. It's JET, there'll be a few around you.