PDA

View Full Version : Interac visa duration query

worried
May 9th, 2015, 01:41
Hi guys. I was just wondering, do Interac employees have to renew their visa annually, or is it possible to request a 3-year instructor visa? JET applicants seem to have this perk the moment they get the job, but all Interac employees have a 1-year visa when they first come to Japan. However, employees are apparently able to apply for 3 or 5 year visas when they come to renewing. Whether these are granted is another matter. I was just curious if any Interac employees hold a visa longer than 1 year? It would be nice to save 4000 yen annually!

Gizmotech
May 9th, 2015, 06:31
You can always ask and see what happens. Technically your visa should be for the length of your contract.

I know many Jets who got 3 year renewals and I know Jets who got 1 year renewals which was completely based on where you applied.

worried
May 11th, 2015, 02:34
I think the contract being a year is the only hindrance, though I have googled the issue and discovered some people who have had three year visas approved. Luck of the draw I think, though I have a feeling it'll be a draw that isn't in my favour :P

mirrormirror
May 23rd, 2015, 12:18
You can apply for whatever length visa you want. It's up to immigration to decide on whether or not to grant it to you. Sometimes they'll look at your contact and only give you a 1 year because your work contract is only good for a year but other times they'll let you go with more than one. For example this round I got the 5 year visa I requested despite renewing with a contract that only said I was working for 1 year. However I'd also gone through the a couple rounds of the 1 year ones and proven I was paying my taxes and not breaking any laws so it is possible, it just might take a couple rounds of 1 year renewals to get it.