PDA

View Full Version : PLACEMENTS!!! 2015 General Placements Thread

Pages : [1] 2

gibbity
May 14th, 2015, 06:05
Hey all. Now that everyone is shitting their pants and blowing their brains out over placement announcements being imminent, an official thread might be nice.

Shout out your placement once you get one. Lets try and keep the placement talk here until we can split to area specific things (if that is even necessary). It may be fun to take note whether or not you got a request of yours. Did you get your first, second, or third request?

also, some would want to try and get in touch with consulate friends, so if you feel like it, post your departure location too.

If I learn how to edit on a regular basis, I might even make a list and junk right here at the top as we go.

Chubu
Fukui
Frayedflower
Me_gustavo
Ishikawa
Kefira(DENV)
pasmo
x_stei(TOR) - Nanao
Shizuoka
(1)Elysi
MandiPanda13 - Hamamatsu
Toyama
snowfaire

Chugoku
Hiroshima
Fantasylife(CHI)
Tottori
acpc2203
Yamaguchi
krayziesensei - Shimonoseki

Hokkaido
DismalBismuth(CALG)
Frap

Kansai
Hyogo
texxaport
Tomonster
whitehexe - Kobe
Mie
(1)ambrosse - Taiki
(1)swmrgrl
taysukidesu
Nara
Verbatim
Osaka
(1)Weepinbell

Kanto
Chiba
JetMaybe2015
Ogii
Gunma
Fairiehearts - Takasaki
Mechking - Kiryu
singinglupines
Ibaraki
ichigo
Penguinonfire
Tokyo
(1)blackxpetals(SYD)
Kurisuchan
Lorenzo
gibbity(CHI)
wellwellwell

Kyushu
Kagoshima
tlightk(CHI) - Shibushi
Kumamoto
blik
Miyazaki
naginataonthebrain(ATL) - Nichinan
Nagasaki
ShareBear - Minamishimabara
Oita
Kyle - Oita City
Okinawa
(1)jenzor
Squirrelmagnolia

Shikoku
Ehime
(1)Saga - Ozu
Kagawa
vaterross(DC) - Takamatsu
Kochi
RainbowSheep

Tohoku
Aomori
Aihira
ZTurtle(QLD) - Towada
Fukushima
moonbeam
Miyagi
Periwink
PuddingHead

Fantasylife
May 14th, 2015, 06:09
Thanks, Gibbity! Was hoping a placement thread would get started (I'm at work, so sorta sneaking to get online as is ;) )

Bring on the placements!!!!

Kurisuchan
May 14th, 2015, 06:41
Tokyo~.

Zolrak 22
May 14th, 2015, 06:46
Tokyo~.
That's gonna hurt the first month or two while you settle in (financially), but I'm sure it'll be fun afterwards. [emoji14]

x_stei
May 14th, 2015, 06:54
Tokyo~.

was that one of your requests?

johnny
May 14th, 2015, 07:05
Two Tokyo placements! I hope you guys don't get one of the islands...unless that's what you really wanted.

quis
May 14th, 2015, 07:05
The triple exclamation marks are mocking me as I wait for my placement information. Mocking me.

Also could we please add Consulate information in brackets too?

krayziesensei
May 14th, 2015, 07:06
Yamaguchi-ken, Shimonoseki-shi

krayziesensei
May 14th, 2015, 07:07
Check your email Gibbity!

Saga
May 14th, 2015, 07:07
Ozu-shi, Ehime

My first choice!!!

Zolrak 22
May 14th, 2015, 07:09
Ozu-shi, Ehime

My first choice!!!
Nice!

Let's hope it's everything you hoped for. [emoji75]

krayziesensei
May 14th, 2015, 07:10
I didn't get my preference, but I'm doing research and my placement sounds awesome!!!!!!

acpc2203
May 14th, 2015, 07:14
Ozu-shi, Ehime

My first choice!!!
My friend was a JET in Uwajima for three years, he really liked it.

ambrosse
May 14th, 2015, 07:14
Mie :)
I'm so excited~~ It was my first choice.
My CO is Taiki-based, so i would assume that i'll be living/working in and or around the Taiki area.

Kurisuchan
May 14th, 2015, 07:23
That's gonna hurt the first month or two while you settle in (financially), but I'm sure it'll be fun afterwards. [emoji14]
I'm not in the middle of Tokyo, so it doesn't seem that bad. I've been looking at prices online. I might be living in a one-room apartment, but I'll survive.

Kurisuchan
May 14th, 2015, 07:24
was that one of your requests?
Nope.
I requested:
Aichi
Kanagawa
Osaka

gibbity
May 14th, 2015, 08:00
Ozu-shi, Ehime

My first choice!!!

Im jealous. Ehime was my first pick. So relaxing down around those bits.

gibbity
May 14th, 2015, 08:06
I'm not in the middle of Tokyo, so it doesn't seem that bad. I've been looking at prices online. I might be living in a one-room apartment, but I'll survive.

Damn... so did you get an actual C.O. listing other then Tokyo? i gots a sinking feeling in my plums that imma be dead in the center of the city...

squirrelmagnolia
May 14th, 2015, 08:12
Okinawa-ken

Kurisuchan
May 14th, 2015, 08:22
Damn... so did you get an actual C.O. listing other than Tokyo? i gots a sinking feeling in my plums that imma be dead in the center of the city...
I got a school name. I Googled where the school is.

I figure, since we probably don't have predecessors, and there probably isn't housing offered by our school, we can always live further away from our schools and commute if it makes it cheaper. A lot of research to be done before departure. This was literally the last placement I was expecting.

Penguee
May 14th, 2015, 08:23
Yay for everyone! I hope we'll keep getting placements this week!
With my luck, and with my Consulate I'll be "forgotten" again and I'm sure I'll get everything three weeks after everyone else, just like before. :-/

BifCarbet
May 14th, 2015, 08:26
Mie :)
I'm so excited~~ It was my first choice.
My CO is Taiki-based, so i would assume that i'll be living/working in and or around the Taiki area.

Congrats on getting that elusive first choice placement!

Many many many JETs live in one-bedroom apartments, even in the countryside. I hope you don't feel bad about that.

MandiPanda13
May 14th, 2015, 08:29
Hamamatsu-shi in Shizuoka! Preferences were Aichi, Gifu and Shiga but Aichi is right next door! Super excited!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurisuchan
May 14th, 2015, 08:32
Congrats on getting that elusive first choice placement!

Many many many JETs live in one-bedroom apartments, even in the countryside. I hope you don't feel bad about that.
Not at all.
My only concern is that I have a dependent that will be coming later.
But, we have lived in a one-room before, so it shouldn't bother us.

Wasabi
May 14th, 2015, 08:55
Kurisuchan, there was a married couple that came with my group last year and they had neighboring school districts in Tokyo. They live in a pretty small place in Tokyo but they make it work. Even here in the "country" (I'm not inaka but the closest real city is an hour and a half away), some of the ALTs have tiny places (think combined living & bed room, a small hallway style kitchen, and a bathroom) but they make it work just fine. Then some of us are lucky to have full size (even US sized) apartments. The upside is if you're the first JET for that school, you'll probably have a choice in apartments like all the Tokyo JETs did this year.

Verbatim
May 14th, 2015, 09:13
Nara Prefecture! :-D

Penguee
May 14th, 2015, 09:20
My good friend worked in Tenri-shi in Nara and one of her schools was next to a Kofun!

Mechking
May 14th, 2015, 09:24
Still waiting here, Hopefully not for much longer! Uk consulate :)

Fantasylife
May 14th, 2015, 09:30
Hiroshima-Ken!

And I made no placement request.

Consulate was Chicago.

weepinbell
May 14th, 2015, 09:36
Going to the Osaka burbs!! So stoked and really shocked... First choice!

BifCarbet
May 14th, 2015, 09:39
Going to the Osaka burbs!! So stoked and really shocked... First choice!

Awesome! Congrats!

akashijam
May 14th, 2015, 09:40
Yay! Ozu!! Welcome to the Love Princess. Did you specifically request Ozu, or Ehime Prefecture?
Curious because I live in Ozu now, and wondering if you have lived here before. :)

JetMaybe2015
May 14th, 2015, 09:43
Chiba prefecture*

I can't be more excited. This looks like the dream placement.

*not listing specific town

Kurisuchan
May 14th, 2015, 09:51
Kurisuchan, there was a married couple that came with my group last year and they had neighboring school districts in Tokyo. They live in a pretty small place in Tokyo but they make it work. Even here in the "country" (I'm not inaka but the closest real city is an hour and a half away), some of the ALTs have tiny places (think combined living & bed room, a small hallway style kitchen, and a bathroom) but they make it work just fine. Then some of us are lucky to have full size (even US sized) apartments. The upside is if you're the first JET for that school, you'll probably have a choice in apartments like all the Tokyo JETs did this year.

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm not too worried. I've been looking online (Gaijinpot) at apartments and it seems that there are more options than just one-room apartments. I don't have any problem with traveling a little bit to work-though I do realize I need to keep the cost of travel in mind (I stayed in Nagoya last summer, and subway costs really added up).

Elysi
May 14th, 2015, 10:27
Congrats everyone on your placements so far! Looks like a few people are getting first choices, gives me a little bit of hope about mine. I'm still waiting to hear from Denver, hopefully we won't be too far behind everyone else.

Saga
May 14th, 2015, 10:37
Akashijam: I requested Ehime, yep! Though I specifically asked for Hojo, a small town north of Matsuyama, as I studied abroad there in high school. But really my main wish was to be in Ehime because I absolutely loved living there before. And Ozu looks like it has a great blend of nature and civilization. Would you mind telling me a bit about the city/area? I'm assuming you're an ALT - is that correct? If so, what grades do you teach and what has your experience been like so far? Do you like it there? Are people pretty friendly? (One of the main reasons I wanted to come back to Ehime is because how wonderful and generous all of the people I met have been, especially my host family and teachers.)

I can't believe someone living in Ozu is on ITIL! That's so cool.

x_stei
May 14th, 2015, 10:37
Hopeless Canadian here! So happy about everyone's placements! Super jealous at the Chiba and Tokyo placements. I would be super happy with either of these.

The Placement Map is being filled out nicely too! I'm very excited for all of you! :) I'm just waiting on pins and needles for mine now! =D

Kurisuchan
May 14th, 2015, 11:39
Hopeless Canadian here! So happy about everyone's placements! Super jealous at the Chiba and Tokyo placements. I would be super happy with either of these.

The Placement Map is being filled out nicely too! I'm very excited for all of you! :) I'm just waiting on pins and needles for mine now! =D
I tried really hard to figure out how to put my placement on the map. I gave up. I think it's just too smart for me. >w>

naginataonthebrain
May 14th, 2015, 11:49
( ̄Д ̄)ノ

I love y'all but I also dying of envy. At this point, I don't even care where I'm placed anymore. Just any piece of info is better than this twilight zone

x_stei
May 14th, 2015, 12:43
I tried really hard to figure out how to put my placement on the map. I gave up. I think it's just too smart for me. >w>

I'll do it for you!! It'll be practice for when I'll finally add mine XD. Wow, I am wayyy over-genking this guys.

akashijam
May 14th, 2015, 12:45
Saga: Awesome! I will send you a PM with my email address if you have any more questions. I don't use this forum too often, so that is the better way to reach me.

And if the other incoming Ozu ALT sees this, feel free to PM me as well. :)

I can't officially tell you specifically about the job until we recieve your reply forms at the BOE, but I can answer a lot of your other questions.

Saga
May 14th, 2015, 13:12
Wow, thank you, Akashijam! That's really generous of you - I will definitely be sending you an e-mail in the next day or so.

It's so incredibly comforting just to know I can talk with someone who's familiar with the city - thank you so much. And there's another new Ozu ALT? Awesome!! Hopefully I'll be able to meet them at Tokyo Orientation if they're in group A.

Gizmotech
May 14th, 2015, 13:36
Waiting to hear more tohoku placements...

BifCarbet
May 14th, 2015, 13:39
Waiting to hear more tohoku placements...

Waiting to get a Tohoku placement.

Serbia
May 14th, 2015, 13:43
Really? Aren't you worried about the whole Fukshima thing?

Ananasboat
May 14th, 2015, 13:44
Come on Sagaaa, I need to start creeping on the newbs ASAP.

uthinkimlost?
May 14th, 2015, 13:44

:roll:

Everything is fine. If it wasn't, Tokyo would be more screwed than most of Tohoku.

Jiggit
May 14th, 2015, 13:47

Hey man, if you don't want any of these sweet-ass mutant powers...

acpc2203
May 14th, 2015, 13:49
I have a feeling I'm going to get the Bonin Islands.

Saga
May 14th, 2015, 13:54
What, you weren't already creeping on the newbs, Ananas? Shame on you! Better hop to it - you don't want the newbies to feel excluded or unwelcome, right?

Also, I just found out that Aoshima, a cat island, is part of my municipality, and the ferry is only about ten miles away from Ozu-shi. Guys, if I never make it to my placement it's because I've been devoured by hundreds of ravenous cats. But rest assured that I will have died living my dream.

Seriously, I don't think this placement could be any more perfect for me.

Ananasboat
May 14th, 2015, 13:56
I've been creeping on the newbs as a whole, but I want to creep on MY newbs. That's why I'm waiting to find out who's been accepted in my prefecture.

BifCarbet
May 14th, 2015, 13:57
Nah. I was in Tohoku that whole time.
Fukushima is fine.

haitch40
May 14th, 2015, 18:17
It's fine. Think of the issues Japan would have sending foreign people to die. The UN would crush them.

Ebi
May 14th, 2015, 23:45
There are no placements in the exclusion zone and outside of the zone you don't need to worry about background radiation exposure. They also rigorously test the food/water that originates in Fukushima so you're not really at risk for ingesting anything dangerous either. If you want to be extra cautious, most things in the supermarkets are labeled clearly with their place of origin so you can choose to not by any foods from Fukushima. But at this point I feel like that would be overkill.

If it makes you feel any better, there are tons of places around the world that have much higher natural background radiation than anywhere in Fukushima. Here's a map showing levels back in 2011 right after the disaster:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ejkt3jkD2Kg/UAiXhgri51I/AAAAAAAAWS8/dHuh9yxB7HY/s1600/radiationworld.png

You'll notice that Tokyo and Sendai (which is just north of Fukushima) are lower than most places on that map. And flying to and from Japan would expose you to more radiation than spending time in Fukushima. Ironically everyone who flew out of Japan right after 3/11 due to radiation fears exposed themselves to more radiation than if they had stayed put.

Gizmotech
May 14th, 2015, 23:49
Shhh don't speak the truth as people will panick :p

patjs
May 14th, 2015, 23:55
Chiba prefecture*

I can't be more excited. This looks like the dream placement.

*not listing specific town

Yep, there are some dream Chiba prefecture placements, I hope you get one.

Not to scare you but if I remember correctly there are a few high schools that are a bit out in the inaka, but in Chiba even the inaka is only a train or bus away from the big city.

Lorenzo
May 15th, 2015, 00:22
Apparently the UK JET desk doesn't have the placement information yet and likely won't until next week, which means we won't get it until late next week or early the following week (considering it'll be done by post). Ah well. At least this means I can focus on my exams.

Gizmotech
May 15th, 2015, 00:31
Apparently the UK JET desk doesn't have the placement information yet and likely won't until next week, which means we won't get it until late next week or early the following week (considering it'll be done by post). Ah well. At least this means I can focus on my exams.

That doesn't surprise me. They are necessarily equal with sexing it out as it isn't that important to them.

jenzor
May 15th, 2015, 03:11
Okinawa-ken. My first choice!

BifCarbet
May 15th, 2015, 03:14
I got my first choice too. North and snowy. Big building.

weepinbell
May 15th, 2015, 03:16
Seems like a lot of peoples' first choices were accomodated, especially by the map. That's so great, congrats you guys. :)

gibbity
May 15th, 2015, 04:26
i got the stabbing pains today of seeing someone get my first pick... and here i was convincing myself there were probably no vacancies. SOB

Saga
May 15th, 2015, 04:48
Aw, I'm sorry, Gibbity. You said that Ehime was your first choice, right? What city/area had you requested?

gibbity
May 15th, 2015, 04:51
Matsuyama. i knew it was a pretty far shot, but all my requests were shikoku-ish area. Ill live. Tokyo actually will offer a lot more along the lines of conferences and events type stuff i want to do while in japan, so i definitely cant complain.

acpc2203
May 15th, 2015, 05:24
Still waiting here, really hope to find out by this weekend.

Ananasboat
May 15th, 2015, 05:57
Matsuyama. i knew it was a pretty far shot, but all my requests were shikoku-ish area. Ill live. Tokyo actually will offer a lot more along the lines of conferences and events type stuff i want to do while in japan, so i definitely cant complain.

Ha, yeah Matsuyama was my first choice last year as well. Didn't end up there but I'm loving life in Kyushu.

snowfaire
May 15th, 2015, 06:04

Haha! Nice to know I'm not the only one with that problem ;-).

I'm a little surprised by how many people got locations right next to Tokyo and did NOT request them. It makes me think I should have requested Tokyo, lol! But, I'm primarily happy with my placement. I got Toyama =).

gibbity
May 15th, 2015, 06:14
Ha, yeah Matsuyama was my first choice last year as well. Didn't end up there but I'm loving life in Kyushu.

well, im definitely gonna be taking a 'self-pity trip' there at least once or twice, feel free if you wanna come along. Hopefully i will have some pretty things nearby in Tokyo, but if not, theres always the trips on weekends.

texxaport
May 15th, 2015, 06:23
If I don't get my placement before this long weekend, I'm going to be very sad.

gibbity
May 15th, 2015, 06:28
ill be sad for you too :(

Zolrak 22
May 15th, 2015, 06:28
Any placement is awesome with the right mindset.

It's just a matter of finding what makes it special. [emoji75]

Elysi
May 15th, 2015, 08:06
Denver delivers! Shizuoka-ken , no exact placement yet but I'm ecstatic I'll have to go back and double check but I believe Shizuoka was my first choice (either that or second)

Serbia
May 15th, 2015, 08:07
There are no placements in the exclusion zone and outside of the zone you don't need to worry about background radiation exposure. They also rigorously test the food/water that originates in Fukushima so you're not really at risk for ingesting anything dangerous either. If you want to be extra cautious, most things in the supermarkets are labeled clearly with their place of origin so you can choose to not by any foods from Fukushima. But at this point I feel like that would be overkill. If it makes you feel any better, there are tons of places around the world that have much higher natural background radiation than anywhere in Fukushima. Here's a map showing levels back in 2011 right after the disaster: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ejkt3jkD2Kg/UAiXhgri51I/AAAAAAAAWS8/dHuh9yxB7HY/s1600/radiationworld.pngYou'll notice that Tokyo and Sendai (which is just north of Fukushima) are lower than most places on that map. And flying to and from Japan would expose you to more radiation than spending time in Fukushima. Ironically everyone who flew out of Japan right after 3/11 due to radiation fears exposed themselves to more radiation than if they had stayed put.Its not so much the background radiation I'm worried about. Reactor 4 is about to collapse so they panicked and removed all the unspent fuel but they dont have anywhere to put it so its just sitting in a bucket in the carpark and when they tried to remove the temporary cover from reactor 1 and 2 last year they cut a test hole in the roof and the radiation was so much higher than they expected they sealed it back up and seem to have just chosen to ignore it. Another big quake and that whole place could come down. If that happens then I'll start worrying about background radiation.

MandiPanda13
May 15th, 2015, 08:08
Denver delivers! Shizuoka-ken , no exact placement yet but I'm ecstatic I'll have to go back and double check but I believe Shizuoka was my first choice (either that or second)

Heck yeah! Congrats and hope to see you at Orientation; I was placed in Hamamatsu-shi in Shizuoka-ken!

Fantasylife
May 15th, 2015, 08:11
Its not so much the background radiation I'm worried about. Reactor 4 is about to collapse so they panicked and removed all the unspent fuel but they dont have anywhere to put it so its just sitting in a bucket in the carpark and when they tried to remove the temporary cover from reactor 1 and 2 last year they cut a test hole in the roof and the radiation was so much higher than they expected they sealed it back up and seem to have just chosen to ignore it. Another big quake and that whole place could come down. If that happens then I'll start worrying about background radiation.

It's funny, but when I told some people I was going to Hiroshima prefecture, the first thing they asked me was about the radiation levels and if it was safe to live there. History is not an American strong suit. I am not looking forward to explaining the safety of Hiroshima to my family.

gibbity
May 15th, 2015, 08:12
just be honest with them. you wont come back, but if you somehow manage the impossible, you will probably be quite mutated.

Me_Gustavo
May 15th, 2015, 08:15
Fukui-ken!!!! Things have become waaaay to real. Only 10 weeks left until departure!

BifCarbet
May 15th, 2015, 08:16
Its not so much the background radiation I'm worried about. Reactor 4 is about to collapse so they panicked and removed all the unspent fuel but they dont have anywhere to put it so its just sitting in a bucket in the carpark and when they tried to remove the temporary cover from reactor 1 and 2 last year they cut a test hole in the roof and the radiation was so much higher than they expected they sealed it back up and seem to have just chosen to ignore it. Another big quake and that whole place could come down. If that happens then I'll start worrying about background radiation.

I don't know where you get that info about plutonium in the parking lot, but my instinct says that that is some kind of shock headline. Sure, there could be another giant tsunami, and even a meltdown. There could also be a gas explosion in basically any building you're in, anywhere. You could also break your femur missing the bottom step of a staircase. I would worry about it if you get placed in Minami-Soma or Namie, or something, but that isn't going to happen.

texxaport
May 15th, 2015, 08:16
I feel like the world forgot about Canada again.

Zolrak 22
May 15th, 2015, 08:17
just be honest with them. you wont come back, but if you somehow manage the impossible, you will probably be quite mutated.
Come on, someone's gotta take over the radioactive mantle.

http://i.imgur.com/wNVX7g5.gif

Elysi
May 15th, 2015, 08:17
Heck yeah! Congrats and hope to see you at Orientation; I was placed in Hamamatsu-shi in Shizuoka-ken!

Thanks! Can't wait! Something tells me I'm not going to get much done for the 6 hours I have left at work. Too much to research, even if I don't know exactly where I'll be yet. At least that waiting doesn't bother me too much.

MandiPanda13
May 15th, 2015, 08:20
Thanks! Can't wait! Something tells me I'm not going to get much done for the 6 hours I have left at work. Too much to research, even if I don't know exactly where I'll be yet. At least that waiting doesn't bother me too much.

I found out yesterday in the afternoon and I got zero work done once I found out. My whole office knows I'm going over and I was running around like an idiot screaming where I was going. It looks like a beautiful prefecture!!! Let me know if you're close to Hamamatsu!

Serbia
May 15th, 2015, 08:27
I don't know where you get that info about plutonium in the parking lot, but my instinct says that that is some kind of shock headline. Sure, there could be another giant tsunami, and even a meltdown. There could also be a gas explosion in basically any building you're in, anywhere. You could also break your femur missing the bottom step of a staircase. I would worry about it if you get placed in Minami-Soma or Namie, or something, but that isn't going to happen.http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/removal4u/index-e.html (http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/removal4u/index-e.htmlTransfered) Transfered to the "common pool" - So you have 1500 fuel rods sitting in a kids paddling pool in the carpark.

x_stei
May 15th, 2015, 08:32
I feel like the world forgot about Canada again.

It's not the first or the last time.

No one seems to care about Canada but Canadians :/

webstaa
May 15th, 2015, 08:37
http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/removal4u/index-e.html (http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/removal4u/index-e.htmlTransfered) Transfered to the "common pool" - So you have 1500 fuel rods sitting in a kids paddling pool in the carpark.

I'd like to point out that most US nuke plants store their fuel in casks on site in exactly the same manner because there is nowhere else to store it. And there have been incidents of casks blowing their lids off due to gas buildup (one in WI IIRC.)

taysukidesu
May 15th, 2015, 08:39

Okay...? Americans care about America, the UK cares about the UK. It's not a big deal that everyone only cares about their own situation.
I'm from one of the last consulates to release placement information in the US, so we feel just as forgotten, lol.

Jiggit
May 15th, 2015, 08:54

If there's another earthquake like that, radiation will be the least of your concerns. 15000 people were killed by the earthquake and tsunami, so far there have been 0 deaths and 0 cases of radiation poisoning caused by the Fukushima Daichi disaster.

snowfaire
May 15th, 2015, 09:11

I care about Canada! They have maple syrup =D. And, apparently, the best beer.

texxaport
May 15th, 2015, 09:13
I don't know about that... Good beer, but probably not the best.

snowfaire
May 15th, 2015, 09:24
I don't know about that... Good beer, but probably not the best.
I'm not a beer person myself, that's just what my beer-loving friends tell me. However, it is impossible to argue the awesomeness of maple syrup.

acpc2203
May 15th, 2015, 09:29
Just got mine Tottori-ken! Not one of my preferences, but it is right in the area of Japan I wanted to be.

Gizmotech
May 15th, 2015, 09:44
Not the best beer, but certainly a large variety of beers to try.

Also Canadians, buck up. You'll likely hear soon enough.

acpc2203
May 15th, 2015, 10:07
Nvm

setyoursightsnorth
May 15th, 2015, 10:57

That is my first choice when I apply during this upcoming fall.

I'm dreaming about this place. Congratulations to you!

Gizmotech
May 15th, 2015, 11:39
I've actually heard that nara as a place to teach is kinda dull. Awesome to visit, but totally broke.

Mind you that was just the experience of one random JET several years ago.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
May 15th, 2015, 11:47

Not to derail, but noooooooooooo. I love Canada, but... Belgium. Hands down.

johnny
May 15th, 2015, 12:04
http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/removal4u/index-e.html (http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/removal4u/index-e.htmlTransfered) Transfered to the "common pool" - So you have 1500 fuel rods sitting in a kids paddling pool in the carpark.

Page not found. Sorry, I'm calling BS on this until there's actual evidence.

Also, remember that "pool" has many meanings.

texxaport
May 15th, 2015, 12:15
Not to derail, but noooooooooooo. I love Canada, but... Belgium. Hands down.

I have to go with Germany. Belgian trappist beer is sick though.

webstaa
May 15th, 2015, 12:57
He put the first word of the next sentence in the URL... here's (http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/removal4u/index-e.html)the link he meant to post.

Serbia
May 15th, 2015, 13:05
If there's another earthquake like that, radiation will be the least of your concerns. 15000 people were killed by the earthquake and tsunami, so far there have been 0 deaths and 0 cases of radiation poisoning caused by the Fukushima Daichi disaster.Hey, I'm just saying choosing to live in the shadow of a crippled nuclear power plant that is in a state of decay and suffers from regular leaks ( latest http://rt.com/news/251637-fukushima-plant-toxic-water/) seems to be courting disaster.

johnny
May 15th, 2015, 14:47
He put the first word of the next sentence in the URL... here's (http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/removal4u/index-e.html)the link he meant to post.

Nothing in this link supports his claims that the fuel rods are sitting in a paddling pool. He doesn't know what he's talking about. He must be trolling.

acpc2203
May 15th, 2015, 15:49
Ah thought I was in a particular town but got another email saying just the prefecture for now.

BifCarbet
May 15th, 2015, 17:48
Hey, I'm just saying choosing to live in the shadow of a crippled nuclear power plant that is in a state of decay and suffers from regular leaks ( latest http://rt.com/news/251637-fukushima-plant-toxic-water/) seems to be courting disaster.

Nothing in this link supports his claims that the fuel rods are sitting in a paddling pool. He doesn't know what he's talking about. He must be trolling.

Yeah, Serbia, you are just scaring yourself, bud. The plant went down four years ago. We have global organizations that make sure that a crippled plant isn't destroying the world, and they're satisfied. How far away do you need to be? Fukushima city is pretty far away. Aomori is a 6-8 hour drive. If you want to do JET, but you think Aomori is too close to Fukushima... where are you going to go?

pasmo
May 15th, 2015, 23:24
Ishikawa represent?

johnny
May 15th, 2015, 23:29
Ishikawa has a new shinkansen line.

Shincantsen
May 16th, 2015, 01:39
If you're so scared of of radiation, even when placed in a prefecture which is at least 200 miles away from the nuclear plant, why did you try to go to Japan?

johnny
May 16th, 2015, 01:40
If you're so scared of of radiation, even when placed in a prefecture which is at least 200 miles away from the nuclear plant, why did you try to go to Japan?

Good question.

Zolrak 22
May 16th, 2015, 02:38
Good question.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/511/991/3a5.jpg

acpc2203
May 16th, 2015, 02:48
Who here going to buy the cheap Fukushima produce?

kefira
May 16th, 2015, 03:56
I also got Ishikawa prefecture! I interviewed out of Denver.

(I'm awesome at lurking, but terrible about actually posting.)

naginataonthebrain
May 16th, 2015, 04:49
Atlanta finally released me from my misery. I'm heading to Nichinan-shi, Miyazaki-ken. Not one of my placement choices, but I'm stoked to at least be in Kyushu and be placed somewhat in civilization!

Sherlock
May 16th, 2015, 07:39
Congrats to everyone on their placements! I hope you all got one you can get excited about. No one seems to have gotten anything terrible.

Ananasboat
May 16th, 2015, 07:57

That means you're doing it right!

Congrats on the placement and I love your avatar.

Unrelated but I'm a bit annoyed that I haven't seen any (except for one) placement in my prefecture. There are so many people f-ing off but I have yet to see those spots be filled.

I feel about as impatient (not really though) as the people waiting to get their placements.

Virgil
May 16th, 2015, 08:26

Unrelated but I'm a bit annoyed that I haven't seen any (except for one) placement in my prefecture. There are so many people f-ing off but I have yet to see those spots be filled.

I feel about as impatient (not really though) as the people waiting to get their placements.
Same here.

Lorenzo
May 16th, 2015, 08:28
We've still got all the UK and Canada (I think) people to go, so I'm sure there'll be at least a couple more then.

Ananasboat
May 16th, 2015, 08:48
We've still got all the UK and Canada (I think) people to go, so I'm sure there'll be at least a couple more then.

Yeah. The people who are leaving are primarily UK and baby UK, so I'm guessing those spots are going to be filled from there.

Perilwink
May 16th, 2015, 09:19
I'm in Touhoku--Miyagi Prefecture! While it wasn't anywhere I actually requested, my city looks to be really close to one of my requests in a neighboring prefecture. I wonder how much of that was coincidence or they were trying to honor my requests...? Anyway, I'm super stoked as the area looks awesome and about the same-sized city as I'm currently living in.

Ebi
May 16th, 2015, 09:27
Congrats, Perilwink! I've been all around Tohoku and Miyagi-ken has a lot of cool stuff. It's also pretty easy to get to other prefectures in Tohoku if you're near a train station or have a car.

Heck, even Tokyo is only 2 hours away if you pay for the shinkansen. But a lot of ALTs opt for night buses out of Sendai since they're usually pretty cheap.

Perilwink
May 16th, 2015, 09:33
Oh man, awesome! I haven't been in the area since I was in high school, but it's good to know I won't be stranded in the middle of nowhere!

BifCarbet
May 16th, 2015, 09:42
Nahhhh Miyagi is awesome. You're going to love it.

Ebi
May 16th, 2015, 09:59
I should notes 2 hours away by Shinkansen *from Sendai*, so you could be a bit farther away if you're in a city on the fringe of the prefecture. But in that case, it just puts you closer to Yamagata, Iwate, or Fukushima which are also pretty rad if you go exploring.

Yamagata has Yamadera (temple built into a mountainside) just across the prefectural border and some nice, easy hiking spots nearby that are gorgeous in autumn. They also have Ginzan Onsen, which is one of the hot spring towns that inspired Spirited Away.

They also just got the first Costco in Tohoku, I think, which is pretty close to the Miyagi border. (Supposedly the next Costco is planned for a city in Miyagi.)

Food in Yamagata is awesome. My husband and I always gorge ourselves when we visit.

Fukushima has Tohoku Safari Park, which was amazing to see so many animals up close but also kind of disturbing because they have zebras and other animals hanging out in the snow. If you don't have problem with Japan's quality of zoos, then might be worth a look.

Fukushima also has great food and the major cities all seem to have their own specialties. Utsunomiya, for example, is famous for gyoza.

And if you like shopping, there's a huge outlet mall with tons of international brands. I'm not much of a shopper, but the Godiva hot chocolate was amazing when I was there.

Iwate has a bunch of hot springs. Just across the prefectural in Ichinoseki is a hot spring called "momo-no-yu". There are billboards all across Tohoku for it for some reason, but it's actually pretty nice. The water quality is fantastic. If you go a little further north, in Hanamaki there is an awesome ryokan that my husband and I stay at every year called Osawa Onsen. If you stay in their "jisuibu" rooms (i.e. 100 year old tatami rooms with kitchen access where you cook for yourself) it's very reasonable, about 6,000 yen per person I think if you include breakfast service. The onsen there are also very good and there's a big mixed bath if that's your thing.

The capital of Iwate, Morioka, is pretty big and bustling, so there's a lot to do and see there too. And there are some foods you can't really find outside of Iwate like jajamen, reimen, and wanko-soba.

And as for historical sites, Hiraizumi is a pretty famous temple and it's not far out from Miyagi.

Honestly, Tohoku is great all over as long as you get a car and explore it.

Aihra
May 16th, 2015, 10:11
I was placed in Aomori prefecture. Totally not in any of my top picks, but I requested I didn't want to be in the city so I'm happy.
But hey, I'll make an adventure out of it. So far when I think about Aomori is apples and snow.
Currently in the process in researching more about the prefecture. Any one have insider experiences there?

Perilwink
May 16th, 2015, 10:15
I think I've been to Hiraizumi! I also went to Geibikei Gorge which was just gorgeous and a lot of fun. I'm really close to the Iwate end, but the rest looks to be about 3 hours or so away, so that's not too bad!

Ahhhh thanks for this list, Ebi! They all look like so much fun, and I'm even more excited about this placement now.

ichigo
May 16th, 2015, 10:26
Ibaraki-ken in the house :D Wasn't one of my requests, but it's a prefecture away from my old host family and some ALTs I currently know. I don't know my city yet. So far all I know is that Ibaraki has lots of plum blossom trees. I'm just glad it's not super hot or super cold!

Ebi
May 16th, 2015, 11:03
I was placed in Aomori prefecture. Totally not in any of my top picks, but I requested I didn't want to be in the city so I'm happy.
But hey, I'll make an adventure out of it. So far when I think about Aomori is apples and snow.
Currently in the process in researching more about the prefecture. Any one have insider experiences there?
Yes! I love Aomori. Continuing in the same vein as my post above, I've traveled all over Aomori by car and I've had a great time.

Hirosaki (弘前市) is a really cool city. It has a small-town feel but there's a lot of stuff to see and do. Plus the castle grounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirosaki_Castle) in the middle of the city are gorgeous and nice to walk around. It's a college town, so there are young adults around and restaurants that cater to the student budget.

If you like hot springs, then Aomori has plenty of really good ones to choose from. It's tucked away in the mountains, but Aoni Onsen (http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/HOTEL/79441/gallery.html) (青荷温泉) was simply stunning. I would put it as my top onsen trip ever as far as atmosphere is concerned. Their gimmick is not having electricity, so they give patrons giant lanterns to carry around if they stay the night. We only visited during the day, but the waterfalls, rivers, flowers, and wild birds chirping were enough to make it memorable. I really want to stay the night someday, especially during firefly season. The only downside was the inconvenient location and lack of hairdryers.

Another good hot spring is Furofushi Onsen (http://www.furofushi.com/english) (不老ふ死温泉) on the Japan Sea coastline. It's literally built into the ocean! So when you bathe you're in the open air looking out at the sea. The water is a bit unusual though. It's full of iron so it looks red-brown like rust.

Also on the coast of the Japan Sea is a small town called Ajigasawa (鯵ヶ沢町). It's famous for a special kind of dried squid that tastes amazing. Seriously. The store we ate at called 由利 (http://www.ajiiku.jp/category/detail05_09.html) has been in business for years and never raised their prices so they're one of the cheapest places in the area. (But the low prices apparently work for them since they had enough money to remodel recently.)

Another beautiful sight to see are the 12 Lakes (十二湖) which have been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The most famous lake is naturally illuminated bright blue (https://aomorimori.wordpress.com/2010/08/01/breathtaking-beauty-of-lake-juniko-fukaura-town/). Lake Towada (http://towadako.or.jp/) (十和田湖) is another lake that's worth seeing in its own right. It's on the border of Akita and Aomori and it's pretty darn huge.

My husband and I even went to Oma (大間町) for no particular reason which is on the tip of Aomori's axe-shaped peninsula. I'll admit I wasn't super impressed with the quality of the maguro there despite it being famous, but that was partially our fault - we arrived fairly late so the restaurant we ate at ran out of fresh maguro so they served us stuff that had been frozen... and it was still sort of frozen and the rice was cold. :| I'm sure it would have been better if we'd gotten a fresh batch or ate at a different restaurant.

A better spot to visit on the peninsula is Hotoke-ga-Ura (http://www.saiteikikanko.jp/hotokegaura.html) (仏ヶ浦). There are a bunch of unusual rock formations along the coast that you can hike down to. It's an area of the coast officially recognized for its scenic beauty and I was not disappointed.

If you're a foodie, then you might want to visit Hasshoku Center (http://tabelog.com/aomori/A0203/A020301/2007367/) (八食センター) in Hachinohe (八戸市) which is basically a big fish market. The cool part is there's a section where you can rent a mini charcoal grill and cook whatever you seafood you just bought. If eating horse meat sounds appealing (it's delicious) then the nearby town Gonohe (五戸町) is famous for their horse meat and the top restaurant there is Ogata (http://www.banikuya-ogata.com/rest/index.html) (尾形). I had a platter of raw horse meat and horse meat shabu-shabu that was very tasty.

Seasonally Aomori has skiing in the winter and Nebuta Festival (http://www.atca.info/nebuta_en/) (ねぶた祭り) in the summer which is held in several cities across Aomori but the main one is in Aomori City. It's one of the largest festivals in all of Tohoku and I've heard it's great to see live. I haven't had a chance to go yet, but I plan to someday.

I'm sure someone else can chime in with more recommendations. :)

BifCarbet
May 16th, 2015, 11:24

I have been to Aomori several times, and I absolutely love it there. The countryside is beautiful, there are distinct cultures and dialects up there, and the towns have some pretty cool flair. Aomori city is just a really big small city. It can be the simple life out in the outskirts, but I have had a lot of fun out near Goshogawara/Tsugaru and downtown. Can't miss, in my opinion.

Snowiest place in Japan, if I'm not mistaken. You will get snowed on. A lot.

Also, Aomori Airport is big and convenient. You can get some direct international flights. Korean air goes to Incheon from Aomori so if you want to visit Seoul, you might even be able to do it on the weekend.

Gizmotech
May 16th, 2015, 13:36
Info about the costco. Not quite so close to the miyagi border really, as you have to cross the mountain range. So you're looking at a decent hour and a half two hour drive. It "should" be open by the time new alts arrive, but I can't remember the exact date (I know the building is on its way up right now).

It's basically just south of yamagata city

Ebi
May 16th, 2015, 14:17
Info about the costco. Not quite so close to the miyagi border really, as you have to cross the mountain range. So you're looking at a decent hour and a half two hour drive. It "should" be open by the time new alts arrive, but I can't remember the exact date (I know the building is on its way up right now).

It's basically just south of yamagata city
Thanks, that's a good point. For me that doesn't seem that far away, but it definitely isn't a convenient distance to make frequent trips. According to the interwebs, the next Costco will be in Tomiya-shi, Miyagi, which is just north of Sendai, opening in 2016. But that might not be very close either depending on where you're placed.

weepinbell
May 16th, 2015, 14:22
Anyone got some general advice about Osaka? I know I'm apparently gonna die from heatstroke lol.

Zolrak 22
May 16th, 2015, 14:31
Anyone got some general advice about Osaka? I know I'm apparently gonna die from heatstroke lol.
Meh, can't be any worse than Puerto Rico.

You'll be fine. [emoji6]

weepinbell
May 16th, 2015, 14:33
Meh, can't be any worse than Puerto Rico.

You'll be fine. [emoji6]

Ok we're forgetting the important idea that I have never even been to Puerto Rico! I could barely stand 2 weeks in Cali haha... I am weak......

pasmo
May 16th, 2015, 15:21

HIGH FIVE.

Sorry for confusion OP but I'm already here, *EDIT* year, my post was asking if anyone lurking was coming to the area \o/

books8137
May 16th, 2015, 15:53

Osaka is fabulous! I've found Japan in summer to be relatively humid, but not terrible. (I'm originally from India, so I guess the humidity doesn't feel terrible to me. I still don't enjoy it, mind you, but not terrible haha) You can find lots of things to do, see, and most importantly (for me anyway), eat! Even if you're in the suburbs, public transportation will get you where you need to go easily.

Frap
May 16th, 2015, 19:39
I have been to Aomori several times, and I absolutely love it there. The countryside is beautiful, there are distinct cultures and dialects up there, and the towns have some pretty cool flair. Aomori city is just a really big small city. It can be the simple life out in the outskirts, but I have had a lot of fun out near Goshogawara/Tsugaru and downtown. Can't miss, in my opinion.

Snowiest place in Japan, if I'm not mistaken. You will get snowed on. A lot.

Also, Aomori Airport is big and convenient. You can get some direct international flights. Korean air goes to Incheon from Aomori so if you want to visit Seoul, you might even be able to do it on the weekend.

Aomori is my second choice after Hokkaido! Gimme that snow, baby.

Edit: However, I'm from the UK and have yet to hear anything.

Mechking
May 16th, 2015, 21:30

I stayed in Osaka for a short while last summer, it was hot and humid but not unbearable. It was roughly 28 or 29 degrees centigrade quite often during the day if I remember correctly to give you a rough idea of temperature.

kefira
May 16th, 2015, 22:36

Thanks, Ananasboat! You're one of my favorite posters... which I know seems vaguely stalker-ish.

HIGH FIVE.

Sorry for confusion OP but I'm already here, 3rd year, my post was asking if anyone lurking was coming to the area \o/

Oops! Well, you definitely dragged me out of hiding so good work on that. Where in Ishikawa are you? From what I've read, it sounds like my kind of place. Rain? Yes, please!

Ananasboat
May 16th, 2015, 23:17
Thanks, Ananasboat! You're one of my favorite posters... which I know seems vaguely stalker-ish.

You know just what to say. I wanna see more of your cute hedgehog avatar more often. It's nothing personal, promise.

weepinbell
May 16th, 2015, 23:32
Even if you're in the suburbs, public transportation will get you where you need to go easily.

GOOD! I know the Hankyu line runs through my city, so I'm super excited to have quick train rides to Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara... there's a busline too, but all the info about it is in Japanese so I have no idea how it runs lol...

I stayed in Osaka for a short while last summer, it was hot and humid but not unbearable. It was roughly 38 or 39 degrees centigrade quite often during the day if I remember correctly to give you a rough idea of temperature.

How is that not hot?! Haha! Again with the transportation, hoping the busline is good enough that I won't be biking up hill to any of my schools in the summer.... it'll be nice to have mild winters, anyway. I'm so done with blizzards. I'll just take a train up west or go to Hokkaido if I miss the snow. :P

Ananasboat
May 16th, 2015, 23:36
He probably means 28 or 29. Even that's pushing it a little far.

Mechking
May 17th, 2015, 00:13
He probably means 28 or 29. Even that's pushing it a little far.
Yeah it was meant to be 28/29. That was my bad I will change it now.

weepinbell
May 17th, 2015, 00:25
Haha perfect that sounds much more bearable.

Mechking
May 17th, 2015, 00:36
For shopping in Osaka, Japan-guide has a decent overview of what it is like: Osaka Shopping Guide (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4013.html)

naginataonthebrain
May 17th, 2015, 02:54

Girl, don't even start with me! I'm going to a place where others says it's hotter than satan's armpit and that the walls actually sweat.

naginataonthebrain
May 17th, 2015, 02:57
Also, slightly jealous that you will be near my old stomping grounds, weepinbell. I lived in a city between Kyoto and Osaka and I rode the Hankyu everyday. One of the cheapest in the area but very nicely kept!

weepinbell
May 17th, 2015, 03:11
Girl, don't even start with me! I'm going to a place where others says it's hotter than satan's armpit and that the walls actually sweat.

LOL. Everyone keeps telling me Osaka is awful!!! Glad to know some people don't think so... but by my standards I'm sure it will be, since I'm going from midwest to subtropical... I guess at least I'm not in Satan's armpit. :P You're going to Kyushu, right?

Also, slightly jealous that you will be near my old stomping grounds, weepinbell. I lived in a city between Kyoto and Osaka and I rode the Hankyu everyday. One of the cheapest in the area but very nicely kept!

Ahh no way that's great! Where exactly were you at? I've also hard that Osaka has the highest railway prices, so that's good to know that at least I'll be on the cheaper side of it. I'm so excited to explore Osaka and Kyoto.. only a half hour away from Osaka city and 1hr away from Kyoto by train!

pasmo
May 17th, 2015, 03:20
Oops! Well, you definitely dragged me out of hiding so good work on that. Where in Ishikawa are you? From what I've read, it sounds like my kind of place. Rain? Yes, please!
I feel sufficiently proud of that to now use a celebratory smiley

:026:

!!!

Ishikawa is indeed rainy! "You can forget your bento but don't forget your umbrella" (official slogan of Stone River). The JET bunch are great lads and ladesses too; not too cliquey and the AJET social organisation is the best it's been since I arrived.

tlightk
May 17th, 2015, 04:47
I got Kagoshima-ken, and my CO is in Shibushi. It's a pretty small city and I'm sure that's where I'll be living/working.

I didn't mind what kind of placement I got, though if I had to choose it would be in the Kansai region (I put Osaka and Kyoto as my preference). What I got was nowhere close to it, but at least I still have some friends living in Kyushu that I can go visit. Plus, Shibushi has a ferry that goes to Osaka so that's good enough for me. I'm hellbent on visiting Osaka because I'm a takoyaki fiend.

I'll be flying out with group A from Chicago. If anyone wants to join me, I plan on having some glorious deep dish pizza the night before we depart. I know I'm gonna miss that shiz.

weepinbell
May 17th, 2015, 05:59
I'll be flying out with group A from Chicago. If anyone wants to join me, I plan on having some glorious deep dish pizza the night before we depart. I know I'm gonna miss that shiz.

My friend, I'm so with you. Lou malnati's is a must before I'm outta here. </3

books8137
May 17th, 2015, 06:24
LOL. Everyone keeps telling me Osaka is awful!!! Glad to know some people don't think so... but by my standards I'm sure it will be, since I'm going from midwest to subtropical... I guess at least I'm not in Satan's armpit. :P You're going to Kyushu, right?

Ahh no way that's great! Where exactly were you at? I've also hard that Osaka has the highest railway prices, so that's good to know that at least I'll be on the cheaper side of it. I'm so excited to explore Osaka and Kyoto.. only a half hour away from Osaka city and 1hr away from Kyoto by train!

Most of Japan still has seasons (I say most because I'm not well-versed in information about Okinawa and I believe Hokkaido tends to run colder longer since it is further north), but winter isn't *as* bad on the mainland, at least in my experience. I'm from New Jersey and though it ain't no savage northern US or Midwest, we still get a decent amount of snow and frigid temperatures. As others have noted though, summers can be humid, but again, not terrible, imo.

When I traveled in Osaka and Kyoto I thought the rail prices were quite reasonable. For example, train from Osaka to Kyoto was around 500 yen. I only rode the buses a few times in both cities, but they were pretty cheap and convenient. I don't remember if the schedules had the English names for the stops, but I am almost positive they did have furigana and there were kiosks with pamphlets in English. Honestly though, you'll be fine getting around in any case. Public transportation is very easy to use in Japan. If you haven't already heard of it, hyperdia has schedules in English. There's also jorudan.

gibbity
May 17th, 2015, 06:31
I got Kagoshima-ken, and my CO is in Shibushi. It's a pretty small city and I'm sure that's where I'll be living/working.

I didn't mind what kind of placement I got, though if I had to choose it would be in the Kansai region (I put Osaka and Kyoto as my preference). What I got was nowhere close to it, but at least I still have some friends living in Kyushu that I can go visit. Plus, Shibushi has a ferry that goes to Osaka so that's good enough for me. I'm hellbent on visiting Osaka because I'm a takoyaki fiend.

Let me in on the details and I may be up for pizza beforehand. Your placement sounds nice!

Zolrak 22
May 17th, 2015, 07:52
Ohh pizza with bacon or chorizo. [emoji41]

Fantasylife
May 17th, 2015, 08:20
Let me in on the details and I may be up for pizza beforehand. Your placement sounds nice!

If I can make it, I'll join in as well.

Saga
May 17th, 2015, 08:54
So it turns out that I will not be Ozu city, but rather in the Ozu municipal area in one of two small villages - either Nagahama (a seaside town of 9,000) or Hijikawa (an even smaller mountain village of ~2,500). Either way, I'll be only half an hour away from Ozu by bus, and both locations sound absolutely wonderful in terms of nature and local festivals. Nagahama would be significantly closer to Matsuyama and my host family (plus being on the ocean is a life-long hope since I'm from landlocked Minnesota), but it sounds like the people in Hijikawa are very friendly and kind, and the mountains look absolutely gorgeous. Really, I think either placement will be wonderful for me, as they are exactly the kind of experience I was hoping for in Japan: being in a small, close-knit community. I did request a rural placement, after all!

I've been looking at/"driving around" both areas on Google Earth a lot, and they both look really nice.

This is really going to be a big change for me, living in such a small village! I am both extremely excited and a little bit nervous about such a big change.

Bdn197
May 17th, 2015, 10:48
My friend, I'm so with you. Lou malnati's is a must before I'm outta here. </3

Count me in for sure

Penguee
May 17th, 2015, 12:16
If you're talking about Subway prices, Sendai has the most expensive subway in Japan. :(

tlightk
May 17th, 2015, 12:31
From what I understand so far, those who fly in to Chicago for pre-departure orientation get some sort of accommodation near the airport right? Since many of you are interested in glorious deep dish pizza, just find me on the FB group or look out for the guy at orientation that'll be talking about pizza. Pizza's always better with a crowd anyways.

One question, since I'm not from around Chicago. Lou Malnati's or Giordano's?

weepinbell
May 17th, 2015, 12:32
If you're talking about Subway prices, Sendai has the most expensive subway in Japan. :(

Nah I'm talking railway... as far a I know my city doesn't have a subway connection. But all the info I've found is like 200-400yen for most lines and 500 from Osaka to Kyoto on JR. Around 1400 for the shinkansen from Osaka-Kyoto but it's literally like a 20min difference... and it looks like one-day subway passes IN Osaka are 600-800yen. If that's considered expensive, I'm down. Cheaper than Chicago transit for sure.

One question, since I'm not from around Chicago. Lou Malnati's or Giordano's?

Lou Malnati's, hands down.

ambrosse
May 17th, 2015, 12:35
I don't know about you, but I'm grabbing me some Gino's with my folks as my last supper. My pizza binge just won't stop. It's becoming a problem, seriously.

tlightk
May 17th, 2015, 13:01
Lou Malnati's, hands down.

I don't know about you, but I'm grabbing me some Gino's with my folks as my last supper. My pizza binge just won't stop. It's becoming a problem, seriously.

Wow, such struggles. Why not both?

JetMaybe2015
May 17th, 2015, 14:32
Nobody has mentioned Rosati's?

weepinbell
May 17th, 2015, 14:46
Nobody has mentioned Rosati's?

There are about 3223412 Rosati's within a 20 mile radius of me, but I've never actually had the deep dish there... their normal pizza is fine, but it's definitely more of a burbs thing. I feel like Lou Malnati's, Gino's, and Giordano's are the major 3 in the city. To be honest, I'm a pretty shit resident of greater Chicago, though, the only deep dish I've ever loved is Lou Malnati's (and I only eat my dogs with ketchup... whoops).

ambrosse
May 17th, 2015, 22:32
(and I only eat my dogs with ketchup... whoops).

Mustard is the only way

kefira
May 18th, 2015, 00:18
You know just what to say. I wanna see more of your cute hedgehog avatar more often. It's nothing personal, promise.

Understood and understood!

I feel sufficiently proud of that to now use a celebratory smiley

!!!

Ishikawa is indeed rainy! "You can forget your bento but don't forget your umbrella" (official slogan of Stone River). The JET bunch are great lads and ladesses too; not too cliquey and the AJET social organisation is the best it's been since I arrived.

That sounds fantastic! Thanks for the insight... it seems like it's going to be a great fit so far. Also, not going to lie, the bouncing celebratory guy is kinda freaking me out a little.

Bdn197
May 18th, 2015, 01:18
I have to get some Gene and Jude's before I leave as well

naginataonthebrain
May 18th, 2015, 01:45
I don't know about y'all, but I'm going to pig out in southern BBQ as my last meal before I leave Bama.

Perilwink
May 18th, 2015, 01:54
I don't know about y'all, but I'm going to pig out in southern BBQ as my last meal before I leave Bama.

Yes, please! Although with how far-reaching our consulate is, I'm sure we'll have plenty of wars over whose bbq is better.

vaterross
May 19th, 2015, 13:06
Placed in Takamatsu-Shi, Kagawa-Ken, Shikoku. I'll be departing out of DC.

taysukidesu
May 19th, 2015, 13:20
I got placed in Mie! Prefectural though, so no word on town yet. (PLEASE BE THE TOWN I REQUESTED DEAR JET GODS!)

MandiPanda13
May 19th, 2015, 13:22
I got placed in Mie! Prefectural though, so no word on town yet. (PLEASE BE THE TOWN I REQUESTED DEAR JET GODS!)

Mie is amazing! It wasn't one of my preferences but I've been there a few times before. Congrats!

johnny
May 19th, 2015, 13:23
You're likely a shs teacher. You know that at least.

Serbia
May 19th, 2015, 13:28
Does the town you requested have a High School in it?

BifCarbet
May 19th, 2015, 13:29
Mie is amazing!

Nagashima G.D. Spa Land.
Jealous.

johnny
May 19th, 2015, 13:30
If not, you probably won't be directly in your placement.

Maybe the vets here can help out. Is it a pretty solid rule that, if you don't get a specific city in your placement email, you're going to be a prefectural alt?

Jiggit
May 19th, 2015, 13:34
Maybe the vets here can help out. Is it a pretty solid rule that, if you don't get a specific city in your placement email, you're going to be a prefectural alt?

That was my impression.

Gizmotech
May 19th, 2015, 13:51
That was my impression.

This impression is correct. There are only city and prefectual boards of education, so if there is no city after it it must be a prefectual position.

johnny
May 19th, 2015, 13:52
Cool beans.

Virgil
May 19th, 2015, 14:45
I think we already covered that prefectural ALT does not necessarily equal SHS ALT.

sloth
May 19th, 2015, 16:00
I don't know a prefectural JET who isn't at a High School. It's a really safe assumption.

ZTurtle
May 20th, 2015, 19:44
Placed Towada-shi, Aomori. Group A departure. I'm coming from a part of Australia where it never ever snows, Aomori will be a very new adventure!

gibbity
May 20th, 2015, 21:37
grats bud! and the list should be updated for everyone so far. let me know if i missed anyone.

BifCarbet
May 21st, 2015, 03:56
Towada good

Shincantsen
May 21st, 2015, 05:15
Towada good

Fire bad

Lorenzo
May 21st, 2015, 09:30
Can't wait to wake up tomorrow to find out I'm a prefectural Nagano JET.

texxaport
May 21st, 2015, 09:31
Lorenzo, you're still waiting too? We must persevere!

Swmrgrl
May 21st, 2015, 09:41
I'm tired of waiting. Last year, Canadians knew before the long weekend, so I was expecting last Friday.

Lorenzo
May 21st, 2015, 09:54
Yeah, no one in the UK has theirs yet. Apparently they had the list and were 'finalising our packs' on Monday, though, so I'm guessing tomorrow will be the day. Hopefully.

Fantasylife
May 21st, 2015, 09:59
I can't wait until you guys hear back. Call me a lame, but I like sharing in on other people's excitement and good news :P

pasmo
May 21st, 2015, 13:18
things
Hey dude I recognise that avatar from one of the better worksheets my pred left behind!! So crazy to see it here. On the off chance you drew that yourself my pred has ripped off your artwork haha. Gomenasorry!

LilMitsuko
May 21st, 2015, 13:35
Just got mine Tottori-ken! Not one of my preferences, but it is right in the area of Japan I wanted to be.

Hey there! Welcome to Tottori-ken. Just curious, what were you looking for in terms of placements? If you have any questions about the area, let me know! And if/when you find out where exactly you'll be, let me know, too! :] I'm also in Tottori-ken in a small town called Kofu-cho. Hoping I'll get to meet you when you come down here in July!

Elysi
May 21st, 2015, 13:56
grats bud! and the list should be updated for everyone so far. let me know if i missed anyone.
Just an update to mine, checked and it was my first placement request :)

blackxpetals
May 21st, 2015, 14:13
Just got my placement from sydney. Tokyo-to. I put it down as a first choice on a whim. Can't believe I actually got it. And my school is pretty central

Zolrak 22
May 21st, 2015, 14:28

Tokyo-to. I put it down as a first choice on a whim. And my school is pretty central

Man that's awesome!

I'm jealous. [emoji6]

Frap
May 21st, 2015, 14:38
Yeah, no one in the UK has theirs yet. Apparently they had the list and were 'finalising our packs' on Monday, though, so I'm guessing tomorrow will be the day. Hopefully.

We got this!

Shincantsen
May 21st, 2015, 22:56
Hey dude I recognise that avatar from one of the better worksheets my pred left behind!! So crazy to see it here. On the off chance you drew that yourself my pred has ripped off your artwork haha. Gomenasorry!

Haha he's actually a Sanrio character (https://www.google.com/search?q=sanrio+shinkansen&safe=active&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8-NdVc-YPNfo8AXhnoOwAw&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1440&bih=741). So no ripping off was done, except by us from Sanrio.

texxaport
May 22nd, 2015, 02:33
Finally got my Placement!

Hyogo-ken.

x_stei
May 22nd, 2015, 02:38

Hyogo-ken.

I got mine too from Toronto! Yay!

I'm either going to Ishikawa-ken or Tottori-ken XD. Either way I'm just happy I found out!

OMG I cannot concentrate at work at all! Holy crap.

Lorenzo
May 22nd, 2015, 02:44
We got this!

Eh, looks like we don't. I'll be surprised if tomorrow isn't the day, though.

gibbity
May 22nd, 2015, 02:47

Just got my placement from sydney. Tokyo-to. I put it down as a first choice on a whim. Can't believe I actually got it. And my school is pretty central

You will be with a few of us somewhere in a huge city! we gonna have to figure out a meet up or something.

Hyogo-ken.

I got mine too from Toronto! Yay!

I'm either going to Ishikawa-ken or Tottori-ken XD. Either way I'm just happy I found out!

@x_stei >> They are a bit far apart. Not sure which to put for you.

Grats all! especially on all those first request wins.

x_stei
May 22nd, 2015, 02:55
You will be with a few of us somewhere in a huge city! we gonna have to figure out a meet up or something.

@x_stei >> They are a bit far apart. Not sure which to put for you.

Grats all! especially on all those first request wins.

gibbity: After I posted that I realized that you had to edit your first post. I'm pretty sure I'm headed to Nanao-shi, Ishikawa-ken.

gibbity
May 22nd, 2015, 02:56
no worries! its damn exciting once you get the placement, i definitly feel the energy. Thanks for da update, yo.

Frap
May 22nd, 2015, 03:17
Eh, looks like we don't. I'll be surprised if tomorrow isn't the day, though.

You keep jinxing it! ;)

acpc2203
May 22nd, 2015, 03:35
Hey there! Welcome to Tottori-ken. Just curious, what were you looking for in terms of placements? If you have any questions about the area, let me know! And if/when you find out where exactly you'll be, let me know, too! :] I'm also in Tottori-ken in a small town called Kofu-cho. Hoping I'll get to meet you when you come down here in July!
I had Hiroshima-ken and Fukuoka-ken as my top preferences, basically wanted to be anywhere on either southern Honshu or on Kyushu. I'll let you know when I find out more!

whitehexe
May 22nd, 2015, 05:32
Kobe City, Municipal JET by the looks of it!

fairiehearts
May 22nd, 2015, 06:36
Canadians should be getting their placements! Takasaki-shi Gunma-Ken! No preference

blik
May 22nd, 2015, 06:41
Canada finally got its shit together! I'm going to Kumamoto! Not even close to the placements I requested, which were all in Chubu, but the more research I do, the more excited I get!! Can't wait!

Ananasboat
May 22nd, 2015, 06:43
Why is everyone on my stinking island getting placements everywhere else but my prefecture. That or the new crop of jets are Luddites.

texxaport
May 22nd, 2015, 06:43
Kobe City, Municipal JET by the looks of it!

I'm hoping I join you! I'm a Hyogo Prefectural ALT but I'm hoping they gave me Kobe. It was one of my requests.

Swmrgrl
May 22nd, 2015, 06:44
Mie-ken! (Prefectural, so.....somewhere) First choice too!

BifCarbet
May 22nd, 2015, 06:50
Mie-ken! (Prefectural, so.....somewhere) First choice too!

Nagashima Spa Land. Jealous.

captainseery
May 22nd, 2015, 14:51
Canada finally got its shit together! I'm going to Kumamoto! Not even close to the placements I requested, which were all in Chubu, but the more research I do, the more excited I get!! Can't wait!

Welcome to Kumamoto, blik! It's really a great placement. :D

Virgil
May 22nd, 2015, 15:52

Ah lot's of kumamoto folks around here. I still don't think I've seen a Fukuoka pref placement on here.

Ananasboat
May 22nd, 2015, 15:56
There have been a lot of Fukuoka placements from what I've seen. I'm really jealous.

Virgil
May 22nd, 2015, 15:57
There have been a lot of Fukuoka placements from what I've seen. I'm really jealous.

On ITIL? I saw some on Facebook, and was really disturbed when I creeped their profiles.

RainbowSheep
May 22nd, 2015, 19:32
Any Brits received their placement results yet?
I don't know whether the postman hasn't been yet or it's not coming today...

gibbity
May 22nd, 2015, 22:12
fingers crossed for ya rainbowsheep. hopefully they will get to you this week/today still.

blik
May 22nd, 2015, 22:33

Thanks, that's encouraging to hear! I'll be honest, I'm kind of still fighting some disappointment for not getting Chubu or something less southern (made worse by the fact that the coordinator had made a mistake and the first email I'd gotten was about a Tottori-shi placement). And I'm having some difficulty finding information, which is contributing to the feeling. The worry is mostly that it seems extremely rural, it's so far from everything else, and I'm uncertain about how I'll physically deal with the crazy heat and humidity. Buuuuut the mountains look stunning, and Miyazaki is right there, and I'm really excited to check out the Kunisaki Peninsula which is close by, so there are obvious upsides :). Hopefully living rural will save me money for more frequent travel, too.

Tomonster
May 23rd, 2015, 00:09
Any Brits received their placement results yet?
I don't know whether the postman hasn't been yet or it's not coming today...
No placement result yet but the official Twitter account says that the results are in the post.

naginataonthebrain
May 23rd, 2015, 00:36
Surprised there are no Hokkaido ITILers yet...

x_stei
May 23rd, 2015, 00:48
I was sure at least one Canadian would've gotten it...

Frap
May 23rd, 2015, 00:49
No placement result yet but the official Twitter account says that the results are in the post.

My pants are wet with anticipation.

RainbowSheep
May 23rd, 2015, 02:47

Good to hear, but I'm away for the next week without internet access. So even if I let someone else open the post for me I won't be able to research my placement or anything...
Ah well.

Placement results are the least of my worries atm though. I'm having a lot of trouble with the CoH. Might get my placement and then not even be able to go ha....

texxaport
May 23rd, 2015, 02:54
I was sure at least one Canadian would've gotten it...
I know of at least two Canadians from my consulate who got rural Hokkaido.

MandiPanda13
May 23rd, 2015, 04:16

One of my fellow Alaskan JETs was placed in there.

DismalBismuth
May 23rd, 2015, 06:38
Yup, very likely rural Hokkaido for me! I'm from Calgary. I just have a Hokkaido placement though so far, so the degree of inaka-ness is up in the air.

captainseery
May 23rd, 2015, 07:17
Thanks, that's encouraging to hear! I'll be honest, I'm kind of still fighting some disappointment for not getting Chubu or something less southern (made worse by the fact that the coordinator had made a mistake and the first email I'd gotten was about a Tottori-shi placement). And I'm having some difficulty finding information, which is contributing to the feeling. The worry is mostly that it seems extremely rural, it's so far from everything else, and I'm uncertain about how I'll physically deal with the crazy heat and humidity. Buuuuut the mountains look stunning, and Miyazaki is right there, and I'm really excited to check out the Kunisaki Peninsula which is close by, so there are obvious upsides :). Hopefully living rural will save me money for more frequent travel, too.

Did you get Kumamoto-ken, Kumamoto-shi, or a municipal placement? Not gonna lie, some parts of Kumamoto are really rural (like where I am!). I was
worried about being rural too, but it's actually really great and I wouldn't give it up. But Kumamoto city is definitely a city and not at all rural, Fukuoka's not far away, and you can get cheap flights to Tokyo, Nagoya, and Osaka. It is hot and humid, but I don't think it's actually all that much more so than parts of Honshu, including Chubu - just longer lasting, maybe.

blik
May 23rd, 2015, 09:27
Did you get Kumamoto-ken, Kumamoto-shi, or a municipal placement? Not gonna lie, some parts of Kumamoto are really rural (like where I am!). I was
worried about being rural too, but it's actually really great and I wouldn't give it up. But Kumamoto city is definitely a city and not at all rural, Fukuoka's not far away, and you can get cheap flights to Tokyo, Nagoya, and Osaka. It is hot and humid, but I don't think it's actually all that much more so than parts of Honshu, including Chubu - just longer lasting, maybe.

I got a municipal placement. Can I PM you?

Ahhh good to know that it's not that much worse in terms of heat. Some people go on about it like it's the hottest place you'll ever be.

captainseery
May 23rd, 2015, 12:03
I'd say, having lived in both Tokyo and here in Kumamoto, there's not too much difference.

Feel free to PM me!

RainbowSheep
May 23rd, 2015, 17:26
So, 15 minutes before I'm about to leave for a week I get my placement results. Postman never comes this early so quite relieved.
My placement - Kochi Prefecture.

I didn't put any placement preferences down so neither happy or sad, just glad I finally know.

Tomonster
May 23rd, 2015, 18:45
Hyogo prefecture jet here. I'll probably see you there Tex

Lorenzo
May 23rd, 2015, 23:11
Holy shit, Tokyo. I'm hugely surprised I got Tokyo considering the huge number of people that put it down as a preference (and I had no preference on my application).

Actually, can anyone help with my placement? I don't have the letter on me - it's been delivered to my mum's address, and she texted me telling me my placement is 'Goto Ikueikai, Tokyo Prefector.' I looked up 'Goto Ikueikai,' assuming it was a place, but it's actually a company in Shibuya? Anyone know if this means I'm prefectural or municipal, and whether I'll be in Shibuya myself?

weepinbell
May 23rd, 2015, 23:23
Holy shit, Tokyo. I'm hugely surprised I got Tokyo considering the huge number of people that put it down as a preference (and I had no preference on my application).

Actually, can anyone help with my placement? I don't have the letter on me - it's been delivered to my mum's address, and she texted me telling me my placement is 'Goto Ikueikai, Tokyo Prefector.' I looked up 'Goto Ikueikai,' assuming it was a place, but it's actually a company in Shibuya? Anyone know if this means I'm prefectural or municipal, and whether I'll be in Shibuya myself?

I just googled "Goto Ikueikai school" and it's coming up as an education foundation that does ES/JHS private schooling through Tokyo U. Lots of Tokyo JETs are being placed at those.

Lorenzo
May 23rd, 2015, 23:27
Thanks weep. Does that mean I'm likely teaching elementary/JHS? Would I have just got 'Tokyo Prefecture' if I was teaching SHS? Sorry for the questions.

I'm hugely excited but also really apprehensive, because I'm totally broke. I was worried about having enough money as it is, but Tokyo is a whole different ball game.

EDIT: Just saw your edit, cheers! I'd have preferred SHS but I'm happy either way.

sourdoughsushi
May 23rd, 2015, 23:33
Nagano is missing out, Lorenzo.

weepinbell
May 23rd, 2015, 23:37
I'm hugely excited but also really apprehensive, because I'm totally broke. I was worried about having enough money as it is, but Tokyo is a whole different ball game.

Not totally sure how it works, but maybe since you're privately contracted you'll get more help, you never know. At least they don't have like 30+ new JETs to fund like with some prefectural placements.

Lorenzo
May 23rd, 2015, 23:37
I'm gutted mate, honestly. At least I'll meet him at orientation.

ambrosse
May 23rd, 2015, 23:38
A few people in Tokyo will be placed in the ES and JHS extensions of a couple universities.

PuddingHead
May 23rd, 2015, 23:44
A little late to the party, but I'm in Miyagi. Said I'll probably be with elementary/middle school kids.

x_stei
May 23rd, 2015, 23:48
I'm gutted mate, honestly. At least I'll meet him at orientation.

I like how you think.

Congrats on the Tokyo placement! Sounds like fun! :)

Lorenzo
May 24th, 2015, 04:36
Thanks!

I did a bit more digging, and I managed to find their website and a PDF handbook which gave lots of information about the schools Goto Ikueikai operate. Not including the university (which is Tokyo City U, not Tokyo U), it appears they run six schools, three of which are SHS. Maybe these are the six schools I'll be working in? I know SHS placements are meant to be prefectural only, but surely that doesn't apply to private schools, only state-run schools?

Either way, I'm really excited.

gibbity
May 24th, 2015, 04:57
sounds interesting! i cant wait for actual BOE/CO contact so i can finally figure out where the hell i will be round about in Tokyo.

haitch40
May 24th, 2015, 05:05
Number 1 rule. Don't list Tokyo, you will never get it.

6 months later. Everyone gets Tokyo.

Enjoy guys.

Zolrak 22
May 24th, 2015, 05:24
Number 1 rule. Don't list Tokyo, you will never get it.

6 months later. Everyone gets Tokyo.

Enjoy guys.
Pretty sure they are doubling the number next year, so if you are interested...

Ananasboat
May 24th, 2015, 09:52
I'm not going to lie. I'm actually really jealous of some of the Tokyo placements. There's one girl who got placed in a private famous-people's kids school, and university track schools are (from my very limited experience) awesome. I'm not a city girl, but I would be excited to go to Tokyo if I got placed in one of those kinda of schools. the times they are a changin.

weepinbell
May 24th, 2015, 12:53
Yeah the girl at that school will have an interesting time I'm sure. Doubt she'll be with the famous kids though, probably just the "normal" rich kids that go there. She probably won't even be able to talk to them....I bet the famous ones get like a Harvard educated, super decorated, Pulitzer winning, English teacher . :P

Gizmotech
May 24th, 2015, 13:01
Yeah the girl at that school will have an interesting time I'm sure. Doubt she'll be with the famous kids though, probably just the "normal" rich kids that go there. She probably won't even be able to talk to them....I bet the famous ones get like a Harvard educated, super decorated, Pulitzer winning, English teacher . :P

Yet again I ask myself why I wasn't sent to a school like that...

wellwellwelll
May 24th, 2015, 18:48
Tokyo (to) is what I know so far.

Mechking
May 25th, 2015, 06:06
Got placed in Kiryu-shi in Gunma, time for some research I guess

LilMitsuko
May 25th, 2015, 08:35
I had Hiroshima-ken and Fukuoka-ken as my top preferences, basically wanted to be anywhere on either southern Honshu or on Kyushu. I'll let you know when I find out more!

Ahh, I see. I was in the same boat as you: I listed completely different prefectures but I got Tottori-ken. I hadn't even heard of it prior to then. You're just 3 hours away from Hiroshima, though, and there's a bus that heads there from Yonago ("big" city in Tottori), and I'm sure there's a bus that goes to Hiroshima from Tottori City if you're placed there, too. Fukuoka will take you a bit longer, but hey, shinkansen​!

Ogii
May 25th, 2015, 08:44
Got placed in Chiba-ken

Fantasylife
May 25th, 2015, 10:34
Yet again I ask myself why I wasn't sent to a school like that...

I'm actually happy to be with average kids. Less pressure.