PDA

View Full Version : Can Municipal JETs be re-contracted for 5 years?

hanna93
May 15th, 2015, 09:17
I read somebody's comment online that they are only hired for up to 3 years, is this true?

I just got my placement and it's a -shi, though not any on the list with codes, but a smaller city with a population of 100,000. This worried me because my goal was to try to stay up to 5 years, and it seems too bad if it's already been determined by the style of my placement and not my work performance.

webstaa
May 15th, 2015, 09:24
I read somebody's comment online that they are only hired for up to 3 years, is this true?

I just got my placement and it's a -shi, though not any on the list with codes, but a smaller city with a population of 100,000. This worried me because my goal was to try to stay up to 5 years, and it seems too bad if it's already been determined by the style of my placement and not my work performance.

You'll have to ask your supervisor/BoE directly when you arrive. Past 3 years it's usually up to the BoE/school to OK the 4th and 5th year from what I know. All ALT contracts run 1 year periods and you sign or reject the next years contract in January/February. Even then, if you separate from the JET program and apply as a direct hire, you might have success if you have a good working relationship with your schools and BoE.

BifCarbet
May 15th, 2015, 09:50
As far as I know, there is no rule that municipal ALTs can only stay 3 years. If there is some vague rule about that, it is frequently broken. I have known many "-shi" ALTs who have stayed 5 years.

It is 100% possible and it happens. That doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to do it, though. Anything can happen.

Jiggit
May 15th, 2015, 09:52
There is in our prefecture. Municipal ALTs get moved to a high school if they want to stay more than 3 years.

Also if you're not here yet then you have no idea how long you will want to stay. You might hate everything about it after 6 months in. Don't worry about it until the actual decision is coming up.

Gizmotech
May 15th, 2015, 11:15
Ya, totally depends on the school board. The one in my city has a 3 year policy from back when JET was 3 year term limited. The board south of me does not have that limit at all.

I've seen plenty of ALTs around here say for year 4 by applying for a transfer. With the new transfer policies, they'll generally just push you upto SHS before tossing you to another prefecture (like they did in the past). That being said, performance review does become a small issue in year 4 so if you've been lazy or uncooperative in some way, or had a bad image for whatever reason, they might just flat out reject the transfer request.

Wasabi
May 15th, 2015, 11:16
In my town (techincally a -shi, but a very small spread out on due to several places merging a few years back), the 3 year rule is definitely in effect. Someone I'd consider an amazing ALT who gives their heart and soul to their kids (and gets amazing results) is leaving this year because this is their 3rd year. Their VP and JTEs tried to appeal the decision, but were rejected. I ditto what Jiggit said - you don't know if you'll like Japan, your placement, the work etc. There are too many variables to factor in to make such a sweeping statement now.

BifCarbet
May 15th, 2015, 11:23
I just meant that there is no national rule that ALTs can't be in the program for five years. Cleary, ALTs can be in the program for five years.
I personally know ALTs who have stayed in the same JHS/ES placement for four and five years.

Jiggit
May 15th, 2015, 11:28
I just meant that there is no national rule that ALTs can't be in the program for five years. Cleary, ALTs can be in the program for five years.
I personally know ALTs who have stayed in the same JHS/ES placement for four and five years.

Right, but whether they can or not depends entirely on the rules for your placement, not on the national rules, so it's not really relevent.

BifCarbet
May 15th, 2015, 11:33
it seems too bad if it's already been determined by the style of my placement and not my work performance.

So I said it is not determined automatically by the style of placement (being a municipal ALT)

Right, but whether they can or not depends entirely on the rules for your placement, not on the national rules, so it's not really relevent.

Of course. So none of the information any of us can give is relevant, except national rules, unless we are familiar with OP's CO.

richief_611
May 16th, 2015, 13:48
I'm in a city, and we can stay up to 5 years. We can stay as ES/JHS ALTs the whole time. But my city also has high school ALTs too.

But obviously, after 3 years, it's up to the decision of the BOE if they want to keep you or not. After 3 years, it's much harder to stay on as an ALT if you aren't exceptional at your job. You get yearly reviews, and it's from these reviews that will determine if you get to stay or not. You might think you're doing a great job, but your schools may not. It's kind of arbitrary because what if the kyoutou-sensei (vice principal) just doesn't like you or your teachers don't. Sometimes I also feel that ALTs aren't given the opportunity to go up and beyond because many times, you aren't given clear instructions on what you can or cannot do at your schools.

If they said simple sentences like: "You can go play with the kids if you'd like." Or
"You can join the clubs after school if you want."
Then an ALTs job would be a bit easier.

Even in the case of you not being able to stay 5 years, if they let you know in your 3rd year around September or October, you can transfer to a different placement in Japan. It's not always guaranteed, but I know a lot of people are able to transfer if they can't re-appoint due to reasons not their or their BOE's fault. This could be money issues, rules set by the BOE that don't necessarily follow the JET Program rules, etc.

You're going to want to find out once you're in Japan what's the actual case. I prefer a "shi" (city) placement than a "fu" (prefecture) placement because I love working at elementary and junior high schools! I don't think I'd be able to handle high school students. These ALTs need to have extremely strong personalities and high levels of teaching ability for sure. And also expect to work after hours too everyday.

Frap
May 16th, 2015, 19:43
And also expect to work after hours too everyday.

This is synonymous to teaching, I'm afraid!

webstaa
May 18th, 2015, 08:33
Following up on richief's post - PRs are typically pretty non-committal too.  And getting most Japanese people to give their honest opinions without copious amounts of liquor is an artform. Mostly part of that 'avoid confrontation at all costs...'

Although as long as you're upfront about your status as a teacher-but-not-a-teacher you might be fine ducking out of club activities.

johnny
May 18th, 2015, 17:36
There is in our prefecture. Municipal ALTs get moved to a high school if they want to stay more than 3 years.

Also if you're not here yet then you have no idea how long you will want to stay. You might hate everything about it after 6 months in. Don't worry about it until the actual decision is coming up.

It's the complete opposite in my prefecture.

coheeshosho
June 12th, 2015, 14:01
5 years is the maximum for any hakken contract. JET ALTs are on hakken, (temporary employees). According to Japanese law, you cannot work on a hakken contract for longer than 5 years without being converted to seisyaiin (permanent employee). That's why, even if you are an amazing employee, your BOE or whomever cannot continue your employment without making you permanent. They really, really do not want to make you permanent because of unionization, etc.

FYI, private companies and agencies that put ALTs in BOEs can skirt this law by employing their staff as gyomu-itaku. Sometimes these companies do place ALTs in hakken contracts, and they just shift them out of the school after 5 years to another hakken at some other school. This is almost never an issue because there is so much turnover with ALT work. That said, more and more JETs are staying to 5 years and getting shut down. Sometimes they think that if they are really, really good ALTs and kiss a lot of ass that they can stay with the BOE, in the program. But they get shafted every time. This is equally true for CIRs that want to stay longer than 5 years.

uthinkimlost?
June 12th, 2015, 20:13
5 years is the maximum for any hakken contract. JET ALTs are on hakken, (temporary employees). According to Japanese law, you cannot work on a hakken contract for longer than 5 years without being converted to seisyaiin (permanent employee). That's why, even if you are an amazing employee, your BOE or whomever cannot continue your employment without making you permanent. They really, really do not want to make you permanent because of unionization, etc.

FYI, private companies and agencies that put ALTs in BOEs can skirt this law by employing their staff as gyomu-itaku. Sometimes these companies do place ALTs in hakken contracts, and they just shift them out of the school after 5 years to another hakken at some other school. This is almost never an issue because there is so much turnover with ALT work. That said, more and more JETs are staying to 5 years and getting shut down. Sometimes they think that if they are really, really good ALTs and kiss a lot of ass that they can stay with the BOE, in the program. But they get shafted every time. This is equally true for CIRs that want to stay longer than 5 years.

To be fair, the only ones that work closely enough with ALTs to realize that they're awesome and/or worth keeping usually get no say in the matter.

Virgil
June 16th, 2015, 11:18
We actually have a 6th year JET ALT in our prefecture. This is probably so rare, it would be a simple task to figure out my BOE.

BifCarbet
June 16th, 2015, 11:24
Six years in one stint?

http://i.qkme.me/3qxnzd.jpg

uthinkimlost?
June 16th, 2015, 11:26
We actually have a 6th year JET ALT in our prefecture. This is probably so rare, it would be a simple task to figure out my BOE.

After six years they aren't JETs, unless something major has changed.

Virgil
June 16th, 2015, 11:34
After six years they aren't JETs, unless something major has changed.

You're probably right. They're probably a direct hire by the BOE. It was a highly unusual announcement, and I'm not sure what the situation was.

uthinkimlost?
June 16th, 2015, 11:41
You're probably right. They're probably a direct hire by the BOE. It was a highly unusual announcement, and I'm not sure what the situation was.

If you hear more, I'm sure a lot of us are interested.

Gizmotech
June 16th, 2015, 11:41
They could be:
a 5.3 year JET (came in April, did that + 5 years)
a private hire after year 5
a two timer, (3 + 3)
retarded.

Virgil
June 16th, 2015, 11:48
They could be:
a two timer, (3 + 3)
retarded.

I'm probably giving too much information, but it basically went like this...

We had a meeting. All of the departing JETs stood up and they said goodbye, then the recontracting 3rd year, 4th year, 5th year yadayada. Then they said there was special thanks in order for a 6th year and had him stand. I've never even met the guy. A friend and I just exchanged incredulous looks and mouthed "6 years" at each other. It was really weird.

uthinkimlost?
June 16th, 2015, 11:57
I'm probably giving too much information, but it basically went like this...

WORDS

Don't post anything you don't feel comfortable with.

Virgil
June 16th, 2015, 12:02
Don't post anything you don't feel comfortable with.

Eh, I'm not worried. I was pretty vague about my description - I just wanted to demonstrate that this wasn't something that some johnny-b-ALT told me. It was official, and very unusual. They did not say he would still be JET or anything like that so I'm almost positive that he was hired by the BOE.

Virgil
June 16th, 2015, 12:04
On the subject of being a two-timing-bastard ... I didn't know you could be contracted on JET even for two 3 years stints. I thought the five year limit was TOTAL time spent JETing.

uthinkimlost?
June 16th, 2015, 12:21
On the subject of being a two-timing-bastard ... I didn't know you could be contracted on JET even for two 3 years stints. I thought the five year limit was TOTAL time spent JETing.

iirc, you can do two, then come back years later and do it again. I don't think you can do three in your first run. We'd have to summon wicket to know.

BifCarbet
June 16th, 2015, 12:35
I always understood it to mean that you just can't get in a second time if you have already done five years, not that there is an overall limit of five years. I have been told specifically that doing JET for three years the first time does not mean you only get two years the second time.

Gizmotech
June 16th, 2015, 12:36
If you pecker off before the end of your fifth year, and don't stay in the country, you can reapply for JET and do another 5 year stint. The restrictions on JET are only for application, and do not limit your employment after you've been accepted.

Basically, with a bit of creativity and luck, some careful planning, and interviewers who are impressed with you, you can get 9.9 years on JET.

BifCarbet
June 16th, 2015, 12:44
9.9 years on JET

But whyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Virgil
June 16th, 2015, 12:45
But whyyyyyyyyyyyy?

You're coming back in't you?

Gizmotech
June 16th, 2015, 12:56
But whyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Because some people need a job, and this is a good way to get one. I mean, you need to basically take a year and a bit off after coming home, so really you'd be committing to 11 years for 9.9 years of JET.... or is it 12... I forget if you must wait a full year before reapplying or not.

Either way. Skill less hack + Easy Japanese Gov Money == GO GO JET PROGRAM YO!

coheeshosho
June 17th, 2015, 12:40
The key thing that I'd like to reiterate is that it is against the law to have someone on a hakken contract for longer than 5 years. The government of Japan, being the government, usually follows the law. This is the primary reason why it is a 5 year max. If someone is in his/her 6th year, it's probably because they were hired directly as a permanent employee, (this happened to a friend of mine, who lives in a very rural place). It can happen, and it's usually when a BOE decides that it's done with the JET game of having to replace people in perpetuity, and with the understanding that the employee will probably stick around for a very long time.

Some people don't know their rights, and so variations on this theme can and will happen.

Dessar
June 18th, 2015, 01:54
They could be:
a two timer, (3 + 3)
retarded.
Stop saying that word pls

BifCarbet
June 18th, 2015, 02:23

Regular posters here are sensitive to social issues, and pretty astute people. We all know the complaint over that usage. Coming onto ITIL to try to get a poster to stop anonymously using a word that is correct but antiquated is not a worthwhile pursuit. You'd be better served trying to do this stuff in real life.

Frap
June 18th, 2015, 02:32
Regular posters here are sensitive to social issues, and pretty astute people. We all know the complaint over that usage. Coming onto ITIL to try to get a poster to stop anonymously using a word that is correct but antiquated is not a worthwhile pursuit. You'd be better served trying to do this stuff in real life.

I'm so hot for you right now.

Gizmotech
June 18th, 2015, 06:34

Why would I? It accurately described the group I was referring to:

characterized by a slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and awareness, emotional development , academic progress , etc.

uthinkimlost?
June 18th, 2015, 06:41
Why would I? It accurately described the group I was referring to:

You can't refer to things as slow any more. You have to use the euphemism 'special' or 'different' because people are uncomfortable with acknowledgement of reality.

Btw, my new shirt is flame special-ant.

Virgil
June 18th, 2015, 10:22
Obvious troll.