PDA

View Full Version : For UK-JETs (or aspiring UK JETs)

melty
May 15th, 2015, 22:43
Hello ITIL folks! I didn't post here for years, so sorry to drop in out of the blue.

I am not sure if many of you know about this, but Pearson recently announced that they do not intend to re-develop A-level Japanese. This is a huge shame for UK students that would like to study Japanese to a high level in school.

Please please sign and share this position (created by a teacher of Japanese that I think is an ex-JET) Petition Keep Japanese A Level (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/keep-japanese-a-level)

There are around 330 schools that teach Japanese in the UK, and it would be a huge shame to lose this qualification, especially as it will probably have a knock-on effect for Japanese language learners at GCSE level and primary.

I realise that lots of you won't care about this, but I thought I should share it just in case any of you do.

Frap
May 16th, 2015, 02:07
Signed!

BifCarbet
May 16th, 2015, 02:13
Signed. Just want you to know that this post wasn't ignored, because it might not get a lot of comments.

Lorenzo
May 16th, 2015, 02:25
Signed. Not sure how much good it'll do - I think they'll need well more than a thousand signatures to have any relevance - but here's hoping.

melty
May 16th, 2015, 05:08
Thank you for signing it!

If any of you head back to the UK and think about becoming teachers, please feel free to contact me (I don't log in here very often, but I'll get an e-mail if you PM me.) There is loads of support for teaching Japanese in UK schools... I run a grant programme for schools that would like to introduce Japanese (£1000 to help start Japanese clubs or up to £3000 to introduce Japanese into the curriculum...) so give me a shout if you want to know more. :)

Frap
May 16th, 2015, 05:28
Thank you for signing it!

If any of you head back to the UK and think about becoming teachers, please feel free to contact me (I don't log in here very often, but I'll get an e-mail if you PM me.) There is loads of support for teaching Japanese in UK schools... I run a grant programme for schools that would like to introduce Japanese (£1000 to help start Japanese clubs or up to £3000 to introduce Japanese into the curriculum...) so give me a shout if you want to know more. :)

This is something I'm definitely interested in! I'm literally about to complete a primary PGCE and since the new curriculum came out, it's now up to each individual head teacher what primary language each school teachers. I'm hoping to become (somewhat) fluent during my time on the programme and then apply those skills once I'm back teaching in the UK. I'd love for the language to be Japanese instead of French, for once!

Mechking
May 16th, 2015, 09:48
Signed. The state of MFL education in the UK is not great IMO and scrapping a foreign language cannot be a reasonable countermeasure for this.