PDA

View Full Version : State Background Check

Penguee
May 18th, 2015, 12:51
Hey there.
So since the FBI background check isn't going to be in time for the deadline, I was told by my coordinator to get a state background check. I live in Japan now and I don't have the option of asking for reliable family or friends to get it done for me. There is an option for an online one. However it is literally a blank page that states my name, DOB "no record" and a confirmation number. It doesn't look official but it can be done online and can be confirmed with their system.
However, knowing how Japan is about seals and things, I worry if it looks official enough.
I asked my coordinator and she still hasn't replied. So I'm not really sure what to do. If I go ahead and order the online unofficial one and it isn't good enough, I'm out of 60 bucks and I'll have to find some way to get a notarized one to me or to the consulate.
Any advice or experience people had would be awesome help.

vaterross
May 18th, 2015, 13:46
Hey Penguee.

I'd probably try to mail it if that is an option for your state, even if you're not sure about the timing. But if your options are don't do it all or try for the semi-official one, I think you know what to do.

I printed the state level application form and some fingerprint cards FD-258 (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks/fd-258-1), went to a largish police station with a crime lab, and got them to roll my prints and sign the form. Then I had to get a money order and send it all back home. I'm desperately hoping there weren't any mistakes and that my state doesn't just throw out their international mail.

Penguee
May 18th, 2015, 14:06
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if there is enough time for mail, but I could give it a shot. The problem is I would need to include a SASE and no idea how that works internationally. Did you have to do that?
Were you able to get an international money order in dollars?
My state is so small I don't need fingerprints which is why I can do it online, I guess.

Shincantsen
May 19th, 2015, 00:11
The problem is I would need to include a SASE and no idea how that works internationally.

Advice I've seen before for doing an international SASE (for Yakkan Shomei) is to include a pre-paid Fed-Ex envelope - you can choose an international shipping option from them. There are other options, but I think that's the easiest.

vaterross
May 19th, 2015, 09:05
My bank was able to to give me a money order in dollars, I was ready for mass confusion but they were very familiar with the process. I think maybe Japan Post can do money orders? Some of the airmail options will get to the recipient in less than a week, not sure exactly what options are available to you in your area. I got lucky on the Self-Addressed return as my state includes that in the application fee, which I'm having sent to family.

Good luck!

Penguee
May 20th, 2015, 22:32
Thanks for the advice! I'll try my best!