PDA

View Full Version : School clubs

weepinbell
June 1st, 2015, 12:23
I'm just curious about current JETs experiences with clubs at their schools. I'm sure it varies widely, but I think it'd be a cool thing to get involved in if my schools give me the opportunity. I'd definitely love to get involved with English clubs (duh) and drama clubs in particular, if anyone has two-cents to give on those specifically.

BifCarbet
June 1st, 2015, 12:28
I was never once (in three years) asked to not participate with clubs. Don't interfere or anything, but hang around and test the water, then see if you can get in there. I usually did sports, but I went in with the music clubs and science/home economics clubs sometimes too. I always felt welcome.

uthinkimlost?
June 1st, 2015, 12:53
Be careful, though. In JHS and SHS competitive clubs are REALLY competitive. If you don't know how to do kendo, don't muck around with the kendo club.

If you can play basketball, etc, by all means help out and have fun with appropriate groups. Just don't expect to be taught anything and don'T get in the way.

Zolrak 22
June 1st, 2015, 12:55
Just don't expect to be taught anything...

Awww [emoji29].

AyaReiko
June 1st, 2015, 12:58
Be careful, though. In JHS and SHS competitive clubs are REALLY competitive. If you don't know how to do kendo, don't muck around with the kendo club.

If you can play basketball, etc, by all means help out and have fun with appropriate groups. Just don't expect to be taught anything and don'T get in the way.

To add to this, though, not all sports clubs/schools are competitive. The school I attended had some competitive clubs, but others that weren't at all and where you could learn something (in my case, kendo!) That being said, my experience is as a student and not a teacher.

webstaa
June 1st, 2015, 14:12
I very occasionally drop clubs in my school. I don't like hanging around after classes are over (I have stuff to do most of the time,) and for a lot of the students, the clubs are the only place they get to hang out with their friends without a teacher breathing down their neck the whole time.

Gizmotech
June 1st, 2015, 16:44
I would kill to not be involved in my English club, and I've been doing my best to distance myself from it as much as possible.

Jiggit
June 1st, 2015, 18:10
I finally got some decent kids in my club btw, gizmo. I'm still the butt of all their jokes, but at least they aren't racist jokes.

Also a super leggy cute ichinen just joined ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Ananasboat
June 1st, 2015, 18:23

TEE HEE

... My schools don't have English clubs. Though I did get asked last week by my favorite student why I don't play volleyball with them... Maybe I should get some gym clothes...

johnny
June 1st, 2015, 19:40
I finally got some decent kids in my club btw, gizmo. I'm still the butt of all their jokes, but at least they aren't racist jokes.

Get your mind out of the gutter, boy.

Gizmotech
June 1st, 2015, 20:18
Get your mind in their gutter, boy.

Fixed that for ya.

Jiggit
June 1st, 2015, 22:19
TEE HEE

You've really missed the whole point of this thing, haven't you?

singinglupines
June 2nd, 2015, 00:50
I would definitely love to do some science or art clubs. Sports on the otherhand...meh.

naginataonthebrain
June 2nd, 2015, 05:49
I think I will be teaching at a few JHS (though my coworkers made it sound like I will mostly be in ES) so I would be ecstatic if I could join a naginata club...but I'm not holding my breath on that lol. But I wouldn't mind visiting a sports club every now and then (like soccer).

Kurisuchan
June 2nd, 2015, 06:56
My organization's website lists kendo as a club activity. I'm interested in being involved. >w<

Shincantsen
June 2nd, 2015, 06:59
I think I will be teaching at a few JHS (though my coworkers made it sound like I will mostly be in ES) so I would be ecstatic if I could join a naginata club...but I'm not holding my breath on that lol. But I wouldn't mind visiting a sports club every now and then (like soccer).

Even if there isn't a club in your school, there may be one in your community - I had a friend get super serious with the community Kyudo club.

Gizmotech
June 2nd, 2015, 07:15

That would most certainly be a community activity.

Jiggit
June 2nd, 2015, 08:43
I would definitely love to do some science or art clubs. Sports on the otherhand...meh.

Any school would love you to join the arts clubs (not many have science clubs afaik), you may end up running the whole thing!

acpc2203
June 2nd, 2015, 09:16
How common are rec leagues for various sports?

johnny
June 2nd, 2015, 09:20
My organization's website lists kendo as a club activity. I'm interested in being involved. >w<

Just keep what others have said already in this thread in mind. The kendo club will be serious business. If you want to be involved in it, the club leader (teacher) may very well expect you to be dedicated to the club. That could mean six hours a week of practices and attending matches on the weekend.

Otoh, I've also heard with the club leader being happy with the alt being a club mascot. In that case it might not be so bad.

johnny
June 2nd, 2015, 09:21
How common are rec leagues for various sports?

Believe it or not, here is a rec hockey league in my area.

Gizmotech
June 2nd, 2015, 09:23
Believe it or not, here is a rec hockey league in my area.

My friend had one of those in Kobe as well.

BifCarbet
June 2nd, 2015, 09:27
I would kill to play in a rec hockey league in Japan.

johnny
June 2nd, 2015, 09:31
My pred did and he loved it. My town is much smaller than Kobe though. I assume that the local team is part of the same league that Hiroshima has (if they have one). It's the big population centre near us.

webstaa
June 2nd, 2015, 10:16
There's a rec league baseball and American football at a sports park about 30 minutes away. Found it by accident when biking past. They go full out - NFL style first down chains and everything. One team helps the refs with chains/ball running etc while the other two teams play. There used to be rugby there, too - but they don't seem to meet on Saturday mornings anymore.

acpc2203
June 2nd, 2015, 10:31
That's good to hear, looks like there a few sports parks and gyms where I am going, so hopefully I can find something.

singinglupines
June 3rd, 2015, 03:32
Any school would love you to join the arts clubs (not many have science clubs afaik), you may end up running the whole thing!

Oh cool, with no Japanese language skills I'm sure that'll work out excellently XD

texxaport
June 3rd, 2015, 05:28
It would be super cool if there was rec hockey near me. I had more or less given up on the idea of finding a team for any of the sports I play.

Anyone know if Ultimate frisbee is a thing in Japan? I know the national team is legit (a team I play with played against them at worlds) but how is it on a rec level?

Shincantsen
June 3rd, 2015, 07:06
It would be super cool if there was rec hockey near me. I had more or less given up on the idea of finding a team for any of the sports I play.

Anyone know if Ultimate frisbee is a thing in Japan? I know the national team is legit (a team I play with played against them at worlds) but how is it on a rec level?

A lot of prefectures have JET leagues for things like rugby and soccer. If there isn't an ultimate team you could always start one.

Jiggit
June 3rd, 2015, 08:29
I doubt you'll have much luck, schools here tend to play real sports.

johnny
June 3rd, 2015, 08:45
I doubt you'll have much luck, schools here tend to play real sports.

We've moved on to discussing community rec leagues for the new ALTs to join.

Jiggit
June 3rd, 2015, 08:46
They should change the name to "Lame Frisbee", that way when you want to abbreviate it by dropping the "Frisbee" you'll still be making an accurate description of your chosen activity.

johnny
June 3rd, 2015, 08:55
It's pretty fun at a beach party though.

texxaport
June 3rd, 2015, 10:10
But look at the sick air, yo. Admittedly the first two in this video are pretty meh.

Seriously though. Ultimate at a competitive level is probably one of the most demanding sports in terms of cardio. There aren't any large breaks like in American football or basketball and in a single point, play can move across the whole field several times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS0XWoTkjCA

word
June 3rd, 2015, 10:23
I like Frisbee. I don't generally like any sport with the word "ultimate" in the title, though.

texxaport
June 3rd, 2015, 10:38
I like Frisbee. I don't generally like any sport with the word "ultimate" in the title, though.

Well the name of the sport is "Ultimate", not "Ultimate Frisbee".

People just call it the latter so more people understand what it is.

That being said, both names are stupid.

Ananasboat
June 3rd, 2015, 14:32
I just want to start a local Quidditch team.

BifCarbet
June 3rd, 2015, 17:14
That video is bad to the bone. I want to play.

sourdoughsushi
June 3rd, 2015, 21:29
I just want to start a local Quidditch team.

Come to Niigata, love. :D
*****So it's about as local as getting together once or twice a year to play Quidditch is local, but it's something.

texxaport
June 4th, 2015, 00:28
That video is bad to the bone. I want to play.

I like this guy.

BifCarbet
June 4th, 2015, 03:34
I like this guy.

HELL YEAH! VALIDAAAAAAAAAAAATION!!!

Frap
June 4th, 2015, 04:31
HELL YEAH! VALIDAAAAAAAAAAAATION!!!

http://media.giphy.com/media/10dtvmywAIyhY4/giphy.gif

BifCarbet
June 4th, 2015, 04:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOY-0FtxG-c

starxrox
June 4th, 2015, 06:26
What if I'm a bit of a fatty and uncoordinated. I've never really played sports but I still like to get out and have a go.

Is there room for jury giving it a go? (Obvious steer clear of the serious stuff as you guys mentioned with the kendo) or would I be better off stick with community sports?

BifCarbet
June 4th, 2015, 06:28
What if I'm a bit of a fatty and uncoordinated. I've never really played sports but I still like to get out and have a go.

Is there room for jury giving it a go? (Obvious steer clear of the serious stuff as you guys mentioned with the kendo) or would I be better off stick with community sports?

Yeah there's room. You don't have to be a star. Check them out first to get a feel for it.

Jiggit
June 4th, 2015, 08:25

So long as you don't mind being laughed at.

sourdoughsushi
June 4th, 2015, 09:02
So long as you don't mind being laughed at.

Fat in Japan, laughter a prerequisite for existing.

Gonna go buy some Haagen daz now...

starxrox
June 4th, 2015, 09:57
Fat in Japan, laughter a prerequisite for existing.

Gonna go buy some Haagen daz now...

Haha im pretty thick skinned. Pun intended.