PDA

View Full Version : Getting married / JET Insurance

Elvis
June 5th, 2015, 22:39
Hi there,

My fiance joined me in Japan and since we decided to stay on for another year, we got married here.
I am with JET and he is a long-distance university student.
I looked online, but I cannot find the answers to my questions. I know my supervisor or anyone at my base school won't know either as they seem to know less than I do about my contract or anything that only applies to ALTs and not just any Japanese teacher.
I am wondering about disclosing my change in personal situation with CLAIR (I am guessing they are the ones I should mention it to) and getting the JET insurance or at least part of it to cover my new husband (although I haven't been able to find words exactly stipulating to this on the documents I found online, I seem to recall this was a possibility at orientation in Tokyo when we handed in our insurance forms).
I can't think of anything else that I should do with regards to JET, but if there is anything I am not aware of, please tell me.

Cheers

uthinkimlost?
June 5th, 2015, 22:46
Hi there,

My fiance joined me in Japan and since we decided to stay on for another year, we got married here.
I am with JET and he is a long-distance university student.
I looked online, but I cannot find the answers to my questions. I know my supervisor or anyone at my base school won't know either as they seem to know less than I do about my contract or anything that only applies to ALTs and not just any Japanese teacher.
I am wondering about disclosing my change in personal situation with CLAIR (I am guessing they are the ones I should mention it to) and getting the JET insurance or at least part of it to cover my new husband (although I haven't been able to find words exactly stipulating to this on the documents I found online, I seem to recall this was a possibility at orientation in Tokyo when we handed in our insurance forms).
I can't think of anything else that I should do with regards to JET, but if there is anything I am not aware of, please tell me.

Cheers

To the best of my knowledge, Jet's insurance doesn't cover dependents. Your national health insurance will.

Elvis
June 5th, 2015, 23:09
Thanks for that.
Do you know if there is a procedure to follow to get my husband coverage from my national health insurance?
Cheers

uthinkimlost?
June 5th, 2015, 23:57
I'm not sure, but I'd start by talking to the person that gave you yours. Once he's listed as a dependent on his visa I'm sure it'll be pretty easy.

word
June 6th, 2015, 08:58
Yeah, I don't remember doing this for MG, so apparently, it was so easy I forgot it. I suspect it just involved a quick visit to the city hall with MG and her gaijin card.

sourdoughsushi
June 6th, 2015, 18:43
Talk to your regional adviser, and then possibly a prefectural adviser.

uthinkimlost?
June 6th, 2015, 21:41
Talk to your regional adviser, and then possibly a prefectural adviser.

I can pretty much guarantee that no PA I've ever met would know this.

sourdoughsushi
June 7th, 2015, 09:16
I can pretty much guarantee that no PA I've ever met would know this.

Well, I hope you haven't met all of them. These people are in contact with so many other people to draw information or further resources from. I don't see the harm in asking, you may be surprised.

uthinkimlost?
June 7th, 2015, 09:32
Yes, but they're not the ones that gave the first one. Most alts get their cards their first week or two here. That means your office staff wherever you're headquartered is likely the one that gave it to you. Going to a PA is like asking your state representative where the milk is in your local grocery. They may be able to find out, but things would be a lot easier if you asked the grocer.

OP hasn't even talked to their supe yet.