PDA

View Full Version : ESL in other countries?

starxrox
June 6th, 2015, 16:35
I'm listening to a podcast at the moment called "Zero to Travel" and in it they talk about using ESL Teaching and teaching in general as a tool to continue travel.

I was just wondering if anyone here had not had there wanderlust satisfied after Japan and maybe went to... Korea, Nepal, South America, Dubai, England, Canada.... anywhere... To continue to teach and travel?

Cheers.

elmaldito
August 3rd, 2015, 18:07
I'm listening to a podcast at the moment called "Zero to Travel" and in it they talk about using ESL Teaching and teaching in general as a tool to continue travel.

I was just wondering if anyone here had not had their wanderlust satisfied after Japan and maybe went to... Korea, Nepal, South America, Dubai, England, Canada.... anywhere... To continue to teach and travel?

Cheers.

England? That would be like bringing coal to Newcastle http://www.ithinkimlost.com/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif. I'd definitely forget about England (and the UK in general). Also, if you're not from UK/Ireland a lot of Europe is out for you.

The Korea EPIK/GEPIK/SMOE programmes seem pretty decent, but haven't experienced them first-hand. Worth checking out. Salary seems good with potential to save a bit, but they've reduced the amount of teachers and might not have as many interesting places as Japan (but that could be down to your own tastes).

The ME is lucrative if you have decent qualifications (BA, MA etc) with tax free salaries and free accommodation, though I have heard salaries have come down in the past few years. Wouldn't go there though. Too hot!

I didn't think Nepal was so big in TEFL.

Maybe you are best narrowing down your countries and going onto Dave's ESL café and looking at the different sections and investigating. Which countries interest you? Have you considered China? It has a myriad of jobs given the size and need for English due to their powerful economy. I guess the post counts give you an idea of how popular a country is; e.g. the ones with the biggest post counts: China, Mexico, Russia, Spain, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Poland, Vietnam, Taiwan etc